Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: The World Cannot End...
Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: April 5, 2011 19:50

palerider22
Does his playing on this 2009 video not just sweep you away....He is obviously still at he top of his game...hasn't lost anything..
if this wasn't "Mick Taylor" but some regular joe off the street, would his playing still "sweep you away" or is it just because you're seduced by the name Mick Taylor that you feel that way? based on that video, his playing is average, nothing special, but i can see how some people would think it's brilliant because it's "Mick Taylor".

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: April 5, 2011 20:02

I don't give a shit how he looks, he doesn't look that bad and he's wearing a shirt, jacket and jeans, what's the point of dressing like a clown if you're gonna play for 500 people?
Hey, at least he's moving and dancing!
But this sounds like a mediocre pub band.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 5, 2011 20:08

ineedadrink
palerider22
Does his playing on this 2009 video not just sweep you away....He is obviously still at he top of his game...hasn't lost anything..
if this wasn't "Mick Taylor" but some regular joe off the street, would his playing still "sweep you away" or is it just because you're seduced by the name Mick Taylor that you feel that way? based on that video, his playing is average, nothing special, but i can see how some people would think it's brilliant because it's "Mick Taylor".

you could apply that line of reasoning/questioning to each of the stones individually and collectively. let's single out po' MT.....

Date: April 5, 2011 20:11

i think we're singling out po' MT at the moment because some people seem to think it's MT that can save the Rolling Stones and make them into a brilliant band again.

Date: April 5, 2011 20:19

ineedadrink
i think we're singling out po' MT at the moment because some people seem to think it's MT that can save the Rolling Stones and make them into a brilliant band again.

perhaps these are peeps with mt lives....and need something to live for....or something....

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: April 5, 2011 20:45

StonesTod
ineedadrink

perhaps these are peeps with mt lives....and need something to live for....or something....

Somehow that sounds better than being a serial poster on here.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: April 5, 2011 20:51

If the Stones tour put MT on the stage. What we hear coming out of the speakers is more important than the visual of his his weight.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: April 5, 2011 20:51

palerider22
The world cannot end...without Mick Taylor playing with the band again.

Maybe that's why they've waited for so long; -to give the world a few years to come to peace with ourselves and fellow creatures before he joins them on the 2012 tour and the world DOES end. Pretty damn selfless bodhisattva behavior on his and their part.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 5, 2011 21:21

ineedadrink

He can't. But he can make them a better band.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: April 5, 2011 21:44

71Tele
ineedadrink

Sorry 71Tele but you must be from another planet (planet 1973) because with that guitar playing witnessed in that clip he couldn't make them into a better band.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Date: April 5, 2011 23:45

NickB
71Tele
ineedadrink

Sorry 71Tele but you must be from another planet (planet 1973) because with that guitar playing witnessed in that clip he couldn't make them into a better band.

If you don't think the current-day Stones don't need help in the guitar department, perhaps it is you who is from another planet - Uranus.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-05 23:45 by 71Tele.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: April 6, 2011 00:25

71Tele
NickB
71Tele
ineedadrink

If you don't think the current-day Stones don't need help in the guitar department, perhaps it is you who is from another planet - Uranus.

Ha ha ha v. funny ROTFLMAO. Yeah sure they may need some help but not from MT.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: April 6, 2011 00:31

I am a Taylor fan, but I notice a major fuckup starting at 3:08, he loses the scale... well it's not that MT is without faults these days...

Date: April 6, 2011 00:45

yeah at 3:08 he messes up real bad. it's like he forgot what key the song is in. that part is just embarrassing. how many professional guitar players can you name that do that? PEOPLE PAY MONEY TO SEE MICK TAYLOR. they expect quality performances. i don't care if Jimi Hendrix were alive still, if he was playing like that, i would feel embarrassed for him. based on that video, it's clear that Mick Taylor doesn't "have it" still. why can't people see that? he's not a guitar god. he's not a guitar jesus. he's not a guitar pope. he's not a guitar pastor. he might be good enough to sweep the floor at church but that's about it. and it's sad to see the drastic decline in his playing. i feel bad for him.

Date: April 6, 2011 01:43

ineedadrink
yeah at 3:08 he messes up real bad. it's like he forgot what key the song is in. that part is just embarrassing. how many professional guitar players can you name that do that? PEOPLE PAY MONEY TO SEE MICK TAYLOR. they expect quality performances. i don't care if Jimi Hendrix were alive still, if he was playing like that, i would feel embarrassed for him. based on that video, it's clear that Mick Taylor doesn't "have it" still. why can't people see that? he's not a guitar god. he's not a guitar jesus. he's not a guitar pope. he's not a guitar pastor. he might be good enough to sweep the floor at church but that's about it. and it's sad to see the drastic decline in his playing. i feel bad for him.

How many professional guitar players can I name that do that? Two. Keith Richards and Ron Wood.

Date: April 6, 2011 02:08

and we're willing to forgive them. why? because they're "keith richards" and "ron wood". mick taylor is "mick taylor". half-assed noodling, but that's okay, right?

Date: April 6, 2011 02:26

ineedadrink
and we're willing to forgive them. why? because they're "keith richards" and "ron wood". mick taylor is "mick taylor". half-assed noodling, but that's okay, right?

Well, if you prefer whatever it is Ron Wood does on guitar that's fine, but your post clearly displayed your double standards. I'll turn your own statement over on its head: Why is it ok when Ron Wood indulges in "half-assed noodling", which is often. It's just less skilled, so I don't see why you seem to take more pleasure in it, but to each his own. The fact is that last time I saw them, both Rolling Stones guitarists were not playing very well. Adding Mr. Taylor could not hurt matters.

Date: April 6, 2011 02:33

in my defense, i haven't seen any ron wood videos where he plays bum notes in succession. i haven't purposely looked for any nor have i been shown any. i'm not taking any pleasure in anything. i'm just not putting mick taylor, or even keith richards for that matter, on a musical pedestal because they are who they are. if the quality of mick taylor's playing has reached embarrassing levels then why reward him by putting him on stage with the rolling stones? if it's solely for nostalgic reasons, then by all means, go for it. but if the magic they create is embarrassing, what's the point?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-06 02:34 by ineedadrink.

Date: April 6, 2011 02:48

ineedadrink
in my defense, i haven't seen any ron wood videos where he plays bum notes in succession. i haven't purposely looked for any nor have i been shown any. i'm not taking any pleasure in anything. i'm just not putting mick taylor, or even keith richards for that matter, on a musical pedestal because they are who they are. if the quality of mick taylor's playing has reached embarrassing levels then why reward him by putting him on stage with the rolling stones? if it's solely for nostalgic reasons, then by all means, go for it. but if the magic they create is embarrassing, what's the point?

I have seen innumerable concerts where Ron Wood hacks away aimlessly at the high frets of his guitar in lieu of "soloing". Some seem to enjoy this, which is fine, but I don't see why Taylor gets a bad rap for "noodling" and Wood doesn't. The fact is that Taylor was part of the lineup that made the Rolling Stones very best music (in many people's opinions) and to have him onstage with the band again playing the songs he recorded with them would both make a more interesting Rolling Stones at this stage of the game, and would also be an appropriate gesture given the occasion of their probable last performances. Plus, I don't buy your premise on the deterioration of Taylor's playing, although it is admittedly not what it once was.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-06 02:49 by 71Tele.

Date: April 6, 2011 02:50

ron wood videos you need? i've been right there in front of him and watched and listened to him play incoherently as though he had never played the guitar before.

Date: April 6, 2011 03:46

StonesTod
ron wood videos you need? i've been right there in front of him and watched and listened to him play incoherently as though he had never played the guitar before.

This is what I call the Ron Wood Blind Spot. Mick Taylor is taken to task for every bum note and every extra calorie, every canceled show. Maybe rightfully so. But Ron Wood can literally spend years coasting, playing incoherently, in and out of rehab (how many times now?), smacking women, becoming tabloid fodder, and he's just good old Ronnie. If "bum notes" and poor health - such as Taylor is cited for in this thread - are a hanging offense for a guitar player at this level, then Wood would have been given his walking papers in 1981, if not sooner.

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: April 6, 2011 11:24

What is the fascination with this Wood v. Taylor b.s.? Seriously? Why is it important for people who, supposedly, love the same band to spend so much time trying to impose their opinion on someone who doesn't agree.

I have never understood why fans of Taylor feel this inane need to defend him. He was a great guitarist. What else is there to say? He left the greatest band in the world of his own volition. Whether or not you think it was wise is, literally, meaningless, and certainly no reason to consistently defend a man who does not need, or want, defending.

And for Ronnie fans, why not let the Taylor fans argue in a vacuum? Wood's been with the greatest band ever for over 35 years. Why isn't that enough to satisfy?

If you're a serial poster on IORR, and you find yourself consistently weighing in on this, and other pointlessly contentious matters, you should probably mention it to your therapist and, if you don't have a therapist, you should be seeking the care of a mental health professional immediately. It is not healthy to voice your opinions on the same matter repeatedly, especially when your opinion is utterly incapable of having a real effect on the matter. To do so is a sign of deep frustration in your private life. It could very well point to childhood emotional neglect, which manifests itself in various forms of emotionally stunted growth as an adult. It can lead to severe depression and the chronic inability to foster meaningful relationships with others. The only person your opinion has to carry weight with is YOU. Your opinion matters because it matters to YOU. What you think has worth because YOU have worth. There is no need to convince others that what you think about Ron Wood and Mick Taylor is the correct opinion. Your opinion is correct to YOU. That should be enough.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: April 6, 2011 12:44

People need to make a choice. You can have the real thing - the Stones, past and present members - in their current incarnation, which means old, fat, out of shape, bald, grey-haired, cranky, with diminished capabilities. Or you an have something else - a reproduction tribute band of the former Stones, a completely different band, anything under the sun. But if you choose the original, present Stones, you have to take them as they are, because that's all that's on offer.

I cherish the original Stones, because they are part of my history and have given me immense pleasure. I accept them just as they are. But I will not be forking over large sums of money to see them in concert. I think I'd rather use the money to upgrade my stereo system, and I will be listening to them at their best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-06 12:55 by Bliss.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: April 6, 2011 17:02

vermontoffender
If you're a serial poster on IORR, and you find yourself consistently weighing in on this, and other pointlessly contentious matters, you should probably mention it to your therapist and, if you don't have a therapist, you should be seeking the care of a mental health professional immediately. It is not healthy to voice your opinions on the same matter repeatedly, especially when your opinion is utterly incapable of having a real effect on the matter. To do so is a sign of deep frustration in your private life. It could very well point to childhood emotional neglect, which manifests itself in various forms of emotionally stunted growth as an adult. It can lead to severe depression and the chronic inability to foster meaningful relationships with others. The only person your opinion has to carry weight with is YOU. Your opinion matters because it matters to YOU. What you think has worth because YOU have worth. There is no need to convince others that what you think about Ron Wood and Mick Taylor is the correct opinion. Your opinion is correct to YOU. That should be enough.

You sure assume a lot.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: April 6, 2011 17:17

the world can end. 29% of earth and 71% of water. Soon you will be under the tsunami

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Date: April 6, 2011 17:18

vermontoffender
What is the fascination with this Wood v. Taylor b.s.? Seriously? Why is it important for people who, supposedly, love the same band to spend so much time trying to impose their opinion on someone who doesn't agree.

stating an opinion is not the same as IMPOSING an opinion. there would be no value to a board like this if people didn't state their opinions, and rarely do two people share the same opinion about anything.

vermonter? where in vermont? i went to high school in st. albans (BFA).

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: April 6, 2011 17:42

he plays only slightly better than keith on sympathy (SAL-version)

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: April 6, 2011 17:47

What? Watch again , with your ears unclogged

Date: April 6, 2011 18:15

vermontoffender

I have never understood why fans of Taylor feel this inane need to defend him. He was a great guitarist. What else is there to say? He left the greatest band in the world of his own volition. Whether or not you think it was wise is, literally, meaningless, and certainly no reason to consistently defend a man who does not need, or want, defending.

And for Ronnie fans, why not let the Taylor fans argue in a vacuum? Wood's been with the greatest band ever for over 35 years. Why isn't that enough to satisfy?

Speaking for myself, I speak up for Taylor when he is mindlessly attacked here for things current members of the Stones never are by the same posters: his appearance and his playing. That's it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-06 18:16 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: April 6, 2011 18:16

ineedadrink

You don't like him because he looks embarassing to you. He's fat and he doesn't look like a Stone anymore. Admit it. Nothing to do with the playing. He'd be a marked improvement if he went on tour with them the next time they went out. The Stones would be head and shoulders better if he was playing with Keith and Woodie.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1729
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home