Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

50 years of Stones celebrated today in Belgium
Posted by: Grichka ()
Date: June 28, 2014 07:09

If you are in Belgium, Le Soir (national daily newspaper) celebrates the "love story between the Stones and Belgium" by reviewing all their concerts since the very first one in the 60's.
There is another article by myself (>grinning smiley<) in the same newspaper that is found here (sorry guys and gals it's in french...).
It talks about the social and political influence of the band over time and the fans...

This is Google translate of the intro:

"And beyond the amazing longevity of the Rolling Stones, it is perhaps even more astonishing fidelity and devotion of their fans, which the author belongs, which is remarkable. Stones without their public would have long since disappeared, as well as almost all the sixties groups.
...."

Somewhere in the middle:

"In summary, the Rolling Stones are just instigators of the greatest leap forward ever in the history of sexual liberation. The heyday of the postwar period, the influence of American black blues, the futility of the Cold War, the rejection of religion and ideologies, it was all part of the ingredients which they played with to revolutionize the world more surely and quietly that no politician did in the twentieth century."

Somewhere in the end of the article:

"So maybe those fans around the world, millions of fans, this is immortality they seek and this is freedom they celebrate by attending their penultimate concert of the Stones."

This is from Google translate including the approximations in the translation.... I just tried to improve it but it's still far from the original french content....

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-28 09:47 by Grichka.

Re: 50 years of Stones celebrated today in Belgium
Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: June 28, 2014 10:20

Thank you for translating. I always found the influence of this culture on a baby boom generation desire for deviance to break down barriers to be pretty remarkable. great big shift in looks and lifestyles since WWII. its difficult to put into words.

Date: June 28, 2014 10:31

tumbled
Thank you for translating. I always found the influence of this culture on a baby boom generation desire for deviance to break down barriers to be pretty remarkable. great big shift in looks and lifestyles since WWII. its difficult to put into words.

It is explained in more detail in the article but I dont have time to translate it in full today and Google translate is not much help. Most of the time it translates the opposite of what is meant!

Date: June 28, 2014 15:25

Stones in belgium before:
Schaerbeek 1966
Antwerp 1973
Brussels 1973
Brussels 1976
Werchter 1995
Werchter 1998
Werchter 2003
Werchter 2007
From "Le Soir" today's edition (pages 38 and 39) with comments for each show!

Date: June 29, 2014 02:38

Two more article from the local press:

Le Soir: Clic here where they say that Mick did congratulate our football team.

RTB Radio: Clic here where they talk about a big fan (me... cool smiley )

Date: June 29, 2014 14:24

More links:

Le Soir: "Stones in Olympic shape" Clic here

+ all the pictures of the whole day: clic here

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-29 14:25 by Grichka.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 29, 2014 15:10

Good one in HUMO (leading Flemish magazine on media, culture, arts, society etc.):

[ HUMO - Serge Simonart ]

P.S.: it's in Dutch.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1639
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home