Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Gimme shelter live 1969 - 1973
Posted by: Poetry ()
Date: June 14, 2014 13:01

Of course, the lead on the studio take was Keith, but did Keith ever play the solo live in the Taylor years?
I think the studio version has to be one of his best solos.
Love the atmosphere of it.

Re: Gimme shelter live 1969 - 1973
Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: June 14, 2014 17:22

Yep 1969 and early 1970 tour..then the Taylor magic came along.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: June 14, 2014 17:50

Poetry
Of course, the lead on the studio take was Keith, but did Keith ever play the solo live in the Taylor years?

I don't think they ever did a decent live version until 1989..I can't believe anyone can listen to earlier ones and think it actually sounds good. Its awful

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: June 14, 2014 17:54

What!!! Very funny. 1969 was how it should have sounded.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: June 14, 2014 17:58

1989-1990 had worst rendition of gimme shelter(its OK,but not GREAT),also SFM and JJF was worst in 1990

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: June 14, 2014 18:29

stanlove
Poetry

I don't think they ever did a decent live version until 1989..I can't believe anyone can listen to earlier ones and think it actually sounds good. Its awful

Yep agreed.
And jagger never cheated on L'wren.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 15, 2014 04:33

The first one is a Keith version which sounds like a work in progress, but is still hauntingly effective. The latter three are Taylor and the band's tour de force performances. I would not mind hearing a rearrangement of the song, but there is no denying the power of these performances. Latter day performances of this song make me shudder. My thanks to the posters.

Taylor displays some rare flamboyance in a DC audience recording:

These two are generally regarded as masterpieces. Flip a coin for your favorite:

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 15, 2014 11:05

1972 and 1973 are the best live versions. 1975 is underrrated. 1989- are safe cocktail versions.

Date: June 15, 2014 14:33

I like all the versions, but the Licks-version with the pre-recorded music was the worst, imo.

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: June 15, 2014 14:53

1969 (and presumably the one 1970 example – which I never hear and would appreciate if some one can send me a link for it to be downloaded…) were great live interpretations of the original song and its “dark” sound that was so relevant to 1969/70.

In 1972/63 they totally re invented it. It was a completely different song. Like with the Overture (Tommy) of The Who done live vs. studio. Reborn. LOVE the 1972/3 versions, and especially the 2 Forth Wort. Versions!. HOWEVER – these are 2 different songs.

1975 – a continuation of the 1973 versions with more wa-wa guitar tunes, and generally very good but nothing of what we know from Taylor era.

1989 and on are the best examples of why we call it the “Vegas era” – and not necessarily in a bad way. I guess they are trying to take the original and put it on the stage. I think that all odds are against a success in this case. But they are doing their best. The whole Lisa bit is great at the first time you see it – boring after the 1st time. Makes you feel as if you are in a “Stones the musical”. Occasionally RW saves the song (Like in Tel Aviv and maybe Paris (I didn’t have a good spot in Paris so not sure) when he is high on the mix and low of the booze. The crowd always do most of the saving, though.. I wouldn’t pay much to hear the current version played in a rehearsal studio. Still – am waiting for it each show. Just love that song. Love even 90% of the covers I heard.

Date: June 15, 2014 15:23

There are lots different versions from 89 till today. The 89 version and the 2002 version are almost two different songs.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 15, 2014 15:48

pmk251
The first one is a Keith version which sounds like a work in progress, but is still hauntingly effective. The latter three are Taylor and the band's tour de force performances. I would not mind hearing a rearrangement of the song, but there is no denying the power of these performances. Latter day performances of this song make me shudder. My thanks to the posters.

[www.youtube.com]

Taylor displays some rare flamboyance in a DC audience recording:

[www.youtube.com]

These two are generally regarded as masterpieces. Flip a coin for your favorite:

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

I agree with you Paul, though I think the 1969 versions stand on their own. In 1970 we see a real work in progress, a transition from the 'Keith-version' to the 'Taylor-version' so to speak, which is very well audible in the Gimme Shelter from the Malmö show, 1970 August 30, on which Taylor is soloing for the first time on this song.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: June 15, 2014 16:06

Keith's solo on the studio version is not only one of his best solos, but a classic per se. Simple as it is, it's an amazing example of a soloist playing to the song. Around that time, at least, the Stones as a studio band were masters of atmosphere: Gimme Shelter is the best case in point, but numerous examples - No Expectations, Love in Vain, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Sister Morphine, Moonlight Mile etc - spring to mind, studio cuts that have a totally unique feel to them, impossible to replicate on stage. That's why it made sense to let Taylor loose on Gimme Shelter when they played it live subsequently. Those performances were never going to sound as moody and downright terrifying as the studio version anyway, so why not turn it into a totally different song altogether?

As for what they do with it now, I think it's carnivalesque and boring, but, as Wroclaw said, that's about all they can hope for these days.

Date: June 15, 2014 17:55

Well Vancouver 1972 wins. That's for sure.

edit: Holy f-in shit. Taylor is underrated. OMFG what an ace.

Seriously listen to Gimme Shelter Vancouver 1972. It has to be one of the best live versions of any song ever.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-15 17:58 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 15, 2014 19:13

The 72 versions are to me what weaving is about. There's one from Philly that I had on a bootleg forever (Jagger says "thank you Philly" at the beginning) just flies out of the speakers. 72 - 73 Gimme Shelter.. To me that is the live Rolling Stones.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 15, 2014 22:45

Stoneburst
Keith's solo on the studio version is not only one of his best solos, but a classic per se. Simple as it is, it's an amazing example of a soloist playing to the song. Around that time, at least, the Stones as a studio band were masters of atmosphere: Gimme Shelter is the best case in point, but numerous examples - No Expectations, Love in Vain, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Sister Morphine, Moonlight Mile etc - spring to mind, studio cuts that have a totally unique feel to them, impossible to replicate on stage. That's why it made sense to let Taylor loose on Gimme Shelter when they played it live subsequently. Those performances were never going to sound as moody and downright terrifying as the studio version anyway, so why not turn it into a totally different song altogether?

As for what they do with it now, I think it's carnivalesque and boring, but, as Wroclaw said, that's about all they can hope for these days.

I've been thinking a lot lately about this "impossible to replicate on stage" aspect of some of the Stones' classics. Gimme Shelter, JJF, SFM, Tumbling Dice, CYHMK, Stray Cat Blues (among many others) all contain studio effects that make them haunting, irresistible, and unique, mainly in the way the guitars were recorded.

That's not to say that excellent live versions of those songs don't exist ... They do. But those versions are almost like different songs.

Was driving around recently listening to Sirius and heard, back-to-back, Gimme Shelter and Hotel California. The Eagles song was outstanding, but it was a collection of instruments whose combined collaboration could reasonably be duplicated (by extremely skilled musicians) on-stage. The Stones song, on the other hand could not. Humans could not produce those sounds live and thereby create the same effect in a concert setting.

All that said, the best live GS for me is the one played over the end credits of the Maysles film.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: June 15, 2014 23:06

All wrong.
Closest to the studio version is the one with an excellent female vocalist: that's the one with Lisa from '95 at the Paradiso... Sorry for the grumpy old men that haven't been to a show in 30 years but some things do get better compared to the early seventies.

Posted by: vincentwhirlwind ()
Date: June 15, 2014 23:33

My favorite was on a bootleg I used to have called Tour De Force, turns out it's the same as Birmingham Remaster 1973

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 15, 2014 23:35

Nothing better than the 1972 versions IMO.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: June 15, 2014 23:58

Dreamer
All wrong.
Closest to the studio version is the one with an excellent female vocalist: that's the one with Lisa from '95 at the Paradiso... Sorry for the grumpy old men that haven't been to a show in 30 years but some things do get better compared to the early seventies.

I think what they really mean is better playing by Mick Taylor...

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 16, 2014 00:04

DandelionPowderman

Keith.

75 versions rocked also, but 72/73 can't be beat.

Date: June 16, 2014 00:28

DandelionPowderman
Dreamer
All wrong.

I know.
What I mean is this version without Taylor is better. Since he's not in it that's probably an important reason. Same for lot's of MR versions where RW is better when compared to Taylor - certainly how MT is playing it the last two years.

Date: June 16, 2014 00:37

Dreamer
DandelionPowderman
Dreamer
All wrong.

I know.
What I mean is this version without Taylor is better. Since he's not in it that's probably an important reason. Same for lot's of MR versions where RW is better when compared to Taylor - certainly how MT is playing it the last two years.

I don't necessarily disagree, but good luck with that one winking smiley

PS: I love that version thumbs up

Date: June 16, 2014 01:02

The versions with Fisher are not closer to the studio . The live versions with Taylor are because they were dangerous magical and wild. The vegasversions lack the chemestry and idea of the song.

Date: June 16, 2014 02:17

The live versions with Taylor are not closer to the studio. And they are in most cases far from dangerous magical and wild. People make mistakes about that a lot just because its from the early seventies so "it has to be" dangerous magical and wild. MT isn't dangerous magical and wild. Taylor is gifted and artistic and fuzzy and freaky jazzy and tame and predictable and sometimes very fitting and mostly overrated.
If there really was an important form of chemistry they would really be sick of the fact he left but they weren't. It was dualism instead of chemistry but that only worked on selected songs and because it was new: but in reality they're not a solo guitar band... With RW a far better chemistry was created/took over.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: June 16, 2014 06:09

I don't care what's closer to the studio or not, what's better, to me it's the Taylor versions. I get tired of people who try to tell us What kind of band the Stones are. It's a blues group, pop group, hard rock group, two guitar band, solo guitar band, rnb group, country group, etc etc etc. If you were a fan from day one maybe each evolution of the Stones hurt you, or you changed with them. For me, I wasn't born til 74, so by the time I was familiar with them, it was this incredible mixed bag of styles.

So, iust because the years have added up in the favor of some mystical weaving juggernaut as opposed to anything else doesn't mean that quantity equals quality or that the Stones weren't, and couldn't have been even better, moving in a diiferent direction after 1974. What I hear from the group during the 69-74 years live is two razor sharp knives. Eventually, the playing would retain the professionalism and alot of the excitement, but the blades were dulled qite a bit. The edge was gone.

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: June 16, 2014 16:26

My favourite is actually the version played on the Main Offender tour eye popping smiley

Date: June 16, 2014 18:22

Dreamer
The live versions with Taylor are not closer to the studio. And they are in most cases far from dangerous magical and wild. People make mistakes about that a lot just because its from the early seventies so "it has to be" dangerous magical and wild. MT isn't dangerous magical and wild. Taylor is gifted and artistic and fuzzy and freaky jazzy and tame and predictable and sometimes very fitting and mostly overrated.
If there really was an important form of chemistry they would really be sick of the fact he left but they weren't. It was dualism instead of chemistry but that only worked on selected songs and because it was new: but in reality they're not a solo guitar band... With RW a far better chemistry was created/took over.

Aha, I see.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 16, 2014 20:25

To echo comments on this website, "Gimme Shelter" now has about as much menace as a Celine Dion song. Lisa draping herself all over Ronnie and Keith totally goes against the spirit of the song, reducing it to some low-end cabaret number.

Review by Dean Goodman
Paris, June 2014

[www.iorr.org]

thumbs up

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: June 17, 2014 01:17

powerage78
To echo comments on this website, "Gimme Shelter" now has about as much menace as a Celine Dion song. Lisa draping herself all over Ronnie and Keith totally goes against the spirit of the song, reducing it to some low-end cabaret number.

Review by Dean Goodman
Paris, June 2014

[www.iorr.org]

thumbs up

Yes I agree.
What was magical and dark or wild (and very very good) in '95 is now 19 years later totally gone. Cabaret indeedy. But KR is smiling so all the tough guys here will say it's the best show ever: they lean against each other. And the tougher guys will say 'no it was best in the MT era': they lean against each other.
Pff.. I feel much more for the enthusiastic casual fan that right now is excited because he's having a good time in Vienna...

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1490
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home