Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mickboy's Main Street Revisited
Posted by: theanchorman ()
Date: March 30, 2011 03:05

The couple copies I have been able to find all seem to have skips in them.
Even Rocks Off right in the beginning. Does anyone know if there are cleaner copies available? (And what I hear isn't the vinyl cracking)

Re: Mickboy's Main Street Revisited
Date: March 30, 2011 03:20

its at the very beginning of almost each song

Posted by: R ()
Date: March 30, 2011 14:53

theanchorman
its at the very beginning of almost each song

Wow, not mine.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: March 30, 2011 16:44

Mine is clean too except on about 1/3 the outtakes on disc 2 I have some digital static. But on Rocks Off the little pop that you hear prior to the song starting is on the original tape itself. Listen closely and you will hear it even on the original vinyl!!

Date: March 30, 2011 16:59

Maybe it's just me, but just about every song intro has almost s little scratch like sound. You guys r saying this is on the original vinyl and the cd remasters mask it?

In regard to the mickboy remasters, I still can't tell if I like the exile one (as opposed to say the GHS and SF ones he has done.

If anyone can point me to a clean copy of main street revisited if greatly appreciate it...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 30, 2011 17:07

I got the Goats Head Soup and Satanic ones and I really can't hear too much difference. Perhaps I need to whack the stereo up a bit. What are you guys hearing different?

Date: March 30, 2011 18:06

To my ears GHS and SF are much more atmospheric...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 30, 2011 18:11

theanchorman
To my ears GHS and SF are much more atmospheric...

I usually crack open a few beers to do that.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 30, 2011 19:18

You could try one of these (I haven't checked them for skips):
[collectors-only.blogspot.com]
[whitetrashsoul.blogspot.com]
[www.guitars101.com]

Mine has no skips on it either.

Date: March 30, 2011 19:22

Munichhilton
You could try one of these (I haven't checked them for skips):
[collectors-only.blogspot.com]
[whitetrashsoul.blogspot.com]
[www.guitars101.com]

Mine has no skips on it either.

Thanks for the Heads up, although I think ice tried at least two of those and they had the scratches at the beginning of the tracks...

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: March 30, 2011 19:44

excuse my ignorance , but what's the deal with these Mickboy remasters? Some fan tweaking the EQs?
Are they worth getting hold of, or serious audiophiles only?

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: March 30, 2011 19:51

peoplewitheyes
excuse my ignorance , but what's the deal with these Mickboy remasters? Some fan tweaking the EQs?
Are they worth getting hold of, or serious audiophiles only?

I personally think they suck. They don't represent the sound that was intended.

Just eq'd vinyl rips. He even has the audacity to change track orders sometimes.
If vinyl rips are your bag, there are much better ones out there.
Failing that, I'd say stick to the offical 1994 cds.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: March 30, 2011 19:53

He also uses tons and tons of denoising, which makes the sound extremely muffled sometimes. I don't see why these releases is so praised by some people...

Date: March 30, 2011 21:05

He doesnt use ANY pc programs in his process. Some are Great-some aint. I dont think all he does is gold. I especially dont like the live remasters. But GHS blows away any official release (even ERIK SNOW thinks so and he is definately not a Mickboy fan). The Let It Bleed is great and the Aftermath/Big Hits is quite nice. He also did a great job with LZ IV. And oh, yeah he did change up the track order on Satanic and it actually makes more sense than the official one. Black And Blue is another where the line-up was tweaked and added to from the sessions. It also is an improvement. But its just a hobby and a different way to listen to things. Some people like it and some don't. At least I get to actually listen to them to make up my mind......(and of course all this is just my opinion-other than him not using any pc software to remaster-thats a fact if I take him at his word which I dont have any reason to doubt it...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-30 21:07 by scottkeef.

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: March 30, 2011 21:05

where can i find the mickboy remasters of stones shows?

Date: March 30, 2011 21:10

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 30, 2011 22:04

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: March 31, 2011 00:46

Mentholated Sandwich which is the remastered Beggars Banquet- to my ears is arguably the best of the bunch....

Date: March 31, 2011 04:20

These clicking noises can result from the disc being burnt in " track-at-once " mode as opposed to " disc-at-once mode " with certain recording set-ups.

Date: March 31, 2011 17:06

Winning Ugly VXII
These clicking noises can result from the disc being burnt in " track-at-once " mode as opposed to " disc-at-once mode " with certain recording set-ups.

Aha,
That sounds like it might be it...

biut that means it's just the way people have uploaded them and I can change it, right?

Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 1, 2011 05:09

theanchorman
Winning Ugly VXII

Aha,
That sounds like it might be it...

biut that means it's just the way people have uploaded them and I can change it, right?

no--because their discs are burned that way, you can't change it. You'd have to get a clean copy (if Mickboy's master is clean).

Date: April 1, 2011 05:13

Maybe to today's more sophisticated "Net-ears" they sound outdated; definitely to mine. But they were all the rage early on.
One thing I can say: the Mickboy's are some of the "boots" that actually imploded on me. All became unplayable.

Date: April 1, 2011 05:21

The copy I have only has the click at the beginning of Rocks Off which is on the master. Get a vinyl from 1972 and listen, its there. I had some digital static on some of the outtakes on Disc 2 but thats the only Mickboy I;ve had any trouble with. The ones I've had for 6 or 7 yrs still play fine.

Posted by: akgameboy ()
Date: April 1, 2011 07:39

I hate the Mickboy "remasters". They are just horrible, EQed versions of the albums we know and love.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: December 10, 2014 05:20

I revived this because of the Mickboy LIB thread having been brought back to say that I am NOT a fan of this Mickboy Remaster because while the extra songs are awesome, there is way too much bass boost to where it is annoying to me.

For the BEST of the alternate stuff of Exile, I urge those who have access to 2 different advance test pressings from 1972 that were "demoed" on UK Radio and perhaps LA radio a few times to test public opinion:

Rocks Off c/w All Down the Line (Mono) RS Records - SAM 3
Happy c/w Shine A Light (Mono) - RS records SAM 4

One insider told me that the Stones did with these as they did with some other tracks - gave a copy to a DJ and drove around in a limo listening to the track on the radio to see how it sounded.

Pardon my digression, but my point was to say that I "revisited" Mickboy's Main Street Revisited to see if my prior opinion had changed.

It hasn't. Perhaps the GHS and Satanic ones are great, but this one should be avoided.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: December 11, 2014 01:10

stonesstein

One insider told me that the Stones did with these as they did with some other tracks - gave a copy to a DJ and drove around in a limo listening to the track on the radio to see how it sounded.

Well, you don't need an insider for this.It's been told many times in various books,etc.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1940
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home