Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Most Inaccesible Album By Well-Known Artist
Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: March 29, 2011 13:13

Anything by Tangerine Dream.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 29, 2011 14:24

Nothing about George Harrisons 'Electronic Sounds'.. not exactly the bloody 'here comes the sun'...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 30, 2011 03:58

YANKEE HOTEL FOXTROT is a masterpiece and was lauded in the press as such even before its release.

(Another thread that has me scratching my head...)

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 30, 2011 04:42

Yes Come On, Electronic Sound was his second solo album and not like anything he, or they had done, and very different for a rock star during the mid 60s.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: March 30, 2011 05:49

Cool thread and many great examples -- most I thought of were listed! I am taking "inaccessible" not just as hard to digest but something of a change of form in the perception of the artists' audience (but not necessarily a bad thing artistically). In that regard, Lou Reed and Neil Young built a career on curve balls. I would add "Berlin" by Reed-- one of my favorite works by him btw, It followed the commercial and popular "Transformer" and bombed -- I got my copy in the $1.99 bargain bin. Of course it and pretty much every record mentioned falls way behind "Metal Machine Music!" (I had a copy on 8 track tape -- again from the bargain bin -- and it was funny to switch from track to track and hear the same noise!)

I also want to mention the string of albums by the Beach Boys starting with "Pet Sounds" and going through "Friends" or "20/20". Of course "Pet Sounds" is considered one of the handful of greatest LPs ever,but it was received relatively coldly at first, particularly by most of the audience expecting surf and sun. But especially the strange "Smiley Smile" and quaint "Wild Honey" and quirky "Friends" -- albums I and many other Beach Boy nuts consider holding some of their best work, but absolutely rejected by a nonplussed record buying public. And then there is "Love You"....

Date: March 30, 2011 06:20

I had a copy on 8 track tape -- again from the bargain bin -- and it was funny to switch from track to track and hear the same noise!

Me too! However I had a different impression: I was struck by the *differences* when one switched from track to track.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: March 30, 2011 06:30

Glam Descendant
I had a copy on 8 track tape -- again from the bargain bin -- and it was funny to switch from track to track and hear the same noise!

Me too! However I had a different impression: I was struck by the *differences* when one switched from track to track.

Guess I shoulda listened more closely! Sadly though, I think it virtually impossible to replicate the experience....

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: March 30, 2011 06:38

It has been awhile since I have heard Neil Young's Shocking Pinks, but they may qualify.

I think his record label even sued him at the time because it was 'a non-commercial' release.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: March 30, 2011 09:34

Bowie's Outside is a hard listening masterpiec. It took me several hours of listening to begin to love this marvellous album.
The same for Mike Oldfield's Amarok

Date: March 30, 2011 09:43

Did anyone mention ARC by Neil Young? That's up there w/MMM.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 30, 2011 10:09

Nobody mentioned Scott Walker's comeback album Tilt yet. If you want to clear the party then put that one on. Works everytime!

Metal Machine Music and Lennon's three experimental turkeys are also up there.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: March 30, 2011 12:50

Silver Dagger
Nobody mentioned Scott Walker's comeback album Tilt yet.

Actually at least two other people have mentioned it.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: March 30, 2011 12:55

Don't forget "Just Push Play" by Aerosmith. Horrible album

Date: March 30, 2011 13:51

A lot of people have trouble with Tim Buckley's Starsailor with the exception of the beautiful Song To The Siren.

I actually love the album but there's some really whigged out moments on there where he tried to vocalise a kind of cross between Pharoah Saunders and Roland Rahsaan Kirk's sax playing style.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 30, 2011 15:19

Elvis Costello's North ! Quite Inaccesible...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: March 30, 2011 16:52

After looking at all of these great suggestions and given the definition of "inaccesible", I think hands down the most "inaccesible" album of all time has to be Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music". You really can't listen to the whole thing through unless you really don't like yourself. I am not sure why I bought the cd (I'm OK with myself!), it just seemed like something that should be in the collection!

Followed closely by the early Lennon/Yoko "projects". There are bad albums, and then there are unlistenable (therefore inaccesible) albums.

Ross

Date: March 30, 2011 17:12

Ross
After looking at all of these great suggestions and given the definition of "inaccesible", I think hands down the most "inaccesible" album of all time has to be Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music". You really can't listen to the whole thing through unless you really don't like yourself. I am not sure why I bought the cd (I'm OK with myself!), it just seemed like something that should be in the collection!

Followed closely by the early Lennon/Yoko "projects". There are bad albums, and then there are unlistenable (therefore inaccesible) albums.

Ross

Most inaccessible albums can be made accessible by taking the right drugs. Well, that's what I've heard anyway. You know the scene, 'oh wow, man, I've never heard it like this before'.

But hats off to Lou, he made an album for which there is no drug that will make it sound good.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 30, 2011 17:16

Come On
Elvis Costello's North ! Quite Inaccesible...

Good one. And how about his Juliet Letters? I'm a huge EC fan and after one listen I wanted to hurl the CD across the room. Torture.

Posted by: donnarq1 ()
Date: March 30, 2011 17:37

The first CD I ever heard of John Coltrane's music.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 30, 2011 17:37

i have a few thousand cds packed away in storage - all of them inaccessible. many of them by well-known artists.

Posted by: donnarq1 ()
Date: March 30, 2011 17:39

Ha! Excuse the fragment I posted above, folks. What a horror for an English teacher! moody smiley

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 30, 2011 21:11

milliondollarsad
Pink Floyd's Animals isn't inaccessible but given that it followed two immensely successful LPs and didn't contain any songs suitable for airplay (two are a minute and a half apiece while the others are at least 10 minutes long), it's extremely non-commercial.

What was the second "immensely successful" LP other than The Wall?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-30 21:12 by skipstone.

Date: March 30, 2011 21:20

I have this. I found it at a yard sale for FIFTY CENTS. I was floored. It's not very good other than the hilarious Bob George.

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: March 30, 2011 21:21

Animals came out before The Wall. i would consider Dark Side Of The Moon immensely successful. Wish You Were Here perhaps as well?

Date: March 30, 2011 21:23

Oh duh, that Animals followed two successful LPs. Got it.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 30, 2011 21:39

skipstone
I have this. I found it at a yard sale for FIFTY CENTS. I was floored. It's not very good other than the hilarious Bob George.

Possibly my favourite Prince album after "Sign O The Times"

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 30, 2011 22:36

Emotional Rescue was considered pretty "inaccesible" when it first came out.

I loved it, but most of the Some Girls era converts went back to disco or whatever it was they were listening to.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: March 30, 2011 23:02

The Black Rider by Tom Waits. Truly a dance with the Devil. Wiliam Burroughs even appears and replays his dark past. A millon miles from Ol 55

Date: March 31, 2011 03:56

Gazza, what about Prince's black album do you like so much? I've listened to it a few times and just could never get into it somehow.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 31, 2011 04:46

I like it because its superfunkacalifragisexi....

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1490
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home