Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Semi-OT: The Great Lost Albums
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 28, 2011 21:16

"great lost albums".... :

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: March 28, 2011 21:20

Erik_Snow
stones78
Whatever Bob Dylan would have recorded had he not fell off his bike.

The fall wasn't fatal.....he went off to Woodstock with The Band; and the result was better than we could ever had hoped for......glad he got that break in the late 60s - he was completely worn out by the end of the 1966 UK tour

I agree, I love JHW and The Basement Tapes, but maybe if he hadn't suffered that accident he would've recorded something different, not better or worse.

Date: March 28, 2011 21:25

stones78
Erik_Snow
stones78

The fall wasn't fatal.....he went off to Woodstock with The Band; and the result was better than we could ever had hoped for......glad he got that break in the late 60s - he was completely worn out by the end of the 1966 UK tour

I agree, I love JHW and The Basement Tapes, but maybe if he hadn't suffered that accident he would've recorded something different, not better or worse.

Me thinks the "accident" was an excuse to recover from his drug abuse. But I know that I can't prove it, and that it's 'possible' that I'm incorrect, as "nobody knows" about this thing. But that's what I think.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: March 28, 2011 22:15

This is the second thread today that I have answered with "Time Fades Away" by Neil Young! Still never officially released on CD, but it was prepared for CD and leaked. Definitely worth tracking down the bootleg.

Also, Neil's Journey through the past, which was kind of a mixed bag collection soundtrack from the film. Also never officially released, but it's out there!

Lots of lost Neil!

Ross

Date: March 29, 2011 00:10

"Sister Lovers", the un-released third album by Big Star. Put out in 78 but booted a lot . Jeff Buckley sang "Kanga-Roo" off it; love that song.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 29, 2011 00:15

Erik_Snow
stones78
Erik_Snow
stones78

Me thinks the "accident" was an excuse to recover from his drug abuse. But I know that I can't prove it, and that it's 'possible' that I'm incorrect, as "nobody knows" about this thing. But that's what I think.

The accident was really an excuse to get off the train of constant touring Grossman wanted him to continue doing. A lot of the drug specualtion originates with A.J. Weberman, who frankly is a nutcase.

Date: March 29, 2011 00:45

71Tele
Erik_Snow
stones78
Erik_Snow
stones78

The accident was really an excuse to get off the train of constant touring Grossman wanted him to continue doing. A lot of the drug specualtion originates with A.J. Weberman, who frankly is a nutcase.

I tried to be humble....but you obviously have 100% correct information - thanks for putting it straight

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 29, 2011 01:02

Palace Revolution 2000
"Sister Lovers", the un-released third album by Big Star. Put out in 78 but booted a lot . Jeff Buckley sang "Kanga-Roo" off it; love that song.

This Mortal Coil did it too. They also covered "Song To The Siren" by Jeff's dad, Tim.

How about The Great Lost Kinks Album? Seems to define the topic.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: March 29, 2011 01:55

Horoscope by Bryan Ferry. Aborted follow-up to Bete Noire. Some of the songs appeared on Mamouna, released in 1994. Three of the songs - Midnight Train, Blinded by the Life I'm Living and Your Love Has Died remain unreleased. The (unnecessary) re-recording of Mother of Pearl from the sessions appeared on the soundtrack to the equally unnecessary Kevin Spacey film, Ordinary Decent Criminal. Ferry's record company rejected the first draft of the album, because it lacked a single.

Alphaville, again by Bryan Ferry. The follow-up to As Time Goes By. Co-written with Dave Stewart. Some of the songs appeared on Frantic, others were recycled on Olympia - You Can Dance and the title track, albeit in different mixes. This was also rejected because it lacked a single.

Roxy Music's new album (2001-present). Mystery surrounds this one. Did they ever even record anything after their 2001 reunion? Nothing has leaked. Not even rumoured song titles. I'm guessing they did record a few songs, but they deemed them substandard.

Chic & Johnny Mathis - Nile Rodgers & Bernard Edwards wrote and recorded a whole album with Johnny Mathis in 1981 called I Love My Lady. This would have been released right after they'd scored a massive hot with their Diana Ross collaboration, Diana. Apparently the album was scrapped because Columbia didn't think the material was right for Mathis' core audience of middle aged women, and, secondly, there was a rumour at the time that he was about to be outed as gay, and a new album called I Love My Lady would have been a tough sell. The album release was cancelled. Nile Rodgers insisted it was the best thing Chic had ever done. The mastertapes disappeared. It was genuinely considered lost, until the tapes surfaced in Greece a couple of years ago. A few songs from the sessions were released on Chic's box set last year, and the full album has since leaked online. The myth was better than the reality. It's crap. Maybe that's why it didn't come out.

Donna Summer - I'm A Rainbow (1981). Produced and co-written with Giorgio Moroder, who'd not only produced all her previous albums, but made her an international star, I'm A Rainbow was a double album and intended as a follow-up to The Wanderer from 1980. David Geffen heard it and refused to release it because he wanted Donna Summer to go in a new direction. She then recorded the Donna Summer (released in its place in 1982), which featured a song called Protection, by Bruce Springsteen, who also played on it. He'd written Cover Me for her, but Jon Landau told him to keep it for himself, just as he'd done with Hungry Heart - originally written for The Ramones. I'm A Rainbow was eventually released in 1996. It's damn good.

Dave Wakeling - No Warning. The lead singer of The Beat/The English Beat's solo album. Read it all about it here. It's a helluva tale.

[marcoonthebass.blogspot.com]

Bruce Springsteen - Tom Joad 2. Bruce recorded a follow-up to The Ghost of Tom Joad, but was told/advised not to release it because the first album hadn't sold well. Some of the songs (The Hitter, Long Time Coming) were re-recorded and released on Devils & Dust.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-29 01:59 by Nikolai.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 29, 2011 02:58

The Electric Nebraska.

Date: March 29, 2011 03:47

Erik_Snow
71Tele
Erik_Snow
stones78
Erik_Snow
stones78

I tried to be humble....but you obviously have 100% correct information - thanks for putting it straight

? I am speculating just like you, with the available information that's out there. Not sure why you chose the sarcastic tone.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: March 29, 2011 04:26

The Captain & Me-Doobie Brothers
Get Your Wings-Aerosmith
Welcome To Club-Ian Hunter Band w/Mick Ronson
Anything by Warren Zevon
LSD-Enigma
Mechanix-UFO

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: March 29, 2011 06:21

"Four More Respected Gentlemen" -- the Kinks, which morphed into "The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society" and eventually was essentially released as "The Great Lost Kinks Album."

There was a book a few years back by Lewis Shiner called "Glimpses," in which the narrator goes back in time to help Brian Wilson finish "Smile," Jim Morrison finish "Celebration of the Lizard," and Hendrix finish ("First Rays"?). I never read it but heard the guy interviewed and read sections and it seemed pretty good.

BTW, "VU" is my favorite Velvet Underground album, and I love everything by them!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-29 06:30 by Wry Cooter.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 29, 2011 08:59

Exile on main street with London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Colin Davis...

Wir danken kann den höheren Mächten, dass dieses Album nicht aufgezeichnet wird ...

2 1 2 0

Date: March 29, 2011 12:13

71Tele
? I am speculating just like you, with the available information that's out there. Not sure why you chose the sarcastic tone.

Hmmmm....not me either. Sorry about that !

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: March 29, 2011 12:22

Here's a great "lost album" by Jerry Lee Lewis. Recorded in late 1970 during his brief renouncement of "worldly" music & concentration on gospel, this has only ever (until now) been released as part of an expensive 1986 vinyl box-set...

[www.cduniverse.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 29, 2011 12:25

Hey yeah sleepy ...new one on Bear Family .......lookin' forward ta hearin'....
Along with complete Bristol Stuff and and the Jay Miller Cajun stuff

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 29, 2011 15:56

Phillip Debarge - The Pretty Things which finally gained a release a few years ago. It's a great psychedelic follow up to SF Sorrow.

The original Blood On The Tracks - most of which has been released on Biograph. There was talk some time ago that the album would be re-released with both the New York recordings and the later tracks recorded by Dylan in Minneapolis shortly before its release.

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young - unreleased follow up to Deja Vu. The tracks ended up on the various solo albums in the early to mid 70s. There's a great bootleg that compiles some of these called Human Highway. The much vaunted 1974 Tour album is set to finally get a release later this year.

The Band - Tombstone. Great album made after Robbie left.

T. Rex - The Children Of Rarn Suite. Started in 1970 but unfinished - a snippet appeared on the great T. Rex album in 71.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-30 10:10 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: March 29, 2011 23:30

The History & Collected Improvisations of The Mothers of Invention

(1969, 12 record set)

Date: March 30, 2011 00:36

Lots of great contributions to this thread. Thanks everybody!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 30, 2011 01:15

Date: March 30, 2011 01:19

Erik_Snow
71Tele

Hmmmm....not me either. Sorry about that !

No problem. I know I come off as a smartass sometimes.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 30, 2011 03:52

>Neil's Journey through the past, which was kind of a mixed bag collection soundtrack from the film. Also never officially released

Of course it was, I own the vinyl.

SISTER LOVERS and other titles in this thread were also released so I guess I'm confused about the topic.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: March 30, 2011 12:03

Glam Descendant
>Neil's Journey through the past, which was kind of a mixed bag collection soundtrack from the film. Also never officially released

Although it's a trainwreck of an album, there's a great version of "Ohio" on there.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 30, 2011 13:59

Love - Black Pearl which was recorded in 73 but never hit the shops. And the good news is that it' coming out very soon.

Love - Gethsemene Plans for a follow up to Forever Changes were aborted. An album to be called Gethsemane would have been the fourth and possibly final record by the original lineup. Two tracks that appeared on a 45 called "Your Mind and We Belong Together" and "Laughing Stock" are rumored to have originally been a part of this lost album. It has been long speculated as to whether or not other tracks from the Gethsemane session ever existed.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: March 30, 2011 16:37

Glam Descendant

SISTER LOVERS and other titles in this thread were also released so I guess I'm confused about the topic.

If you read it in the context of my post you will see that I was referring to it never being released ON CD (like Times Fades Away). I also have it on vinyl and it's a mess for the most part.

Ross

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 30, 2011 22:39

I lost Starz' "Violation" on 8 track in the late 70's. drinking smiley

Think my "friend" borrowed it without asking.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: March 31, 2011 01:01

Boys and Girls-Bryan Ferry
Ocean Rain-Echo and the Bunnymen
Physical Graffiti-Led Zep
Everything by Buddy Guy
Night on the Town-Rod Stewart
Primitive Cool--Jagger
The Rising-Springsteen
Everything by The J Giels Band
Tumbleweed Connection-Elton John
Strangers in the Night-UFO

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: March 31, 2011 01:04

The second Pink Floyd album.

Complete:

Scream Thy Last Scream (Barrett)
Vegetable Man (Barrett)
Jugband Blues (Barrett)

Remember a Day (Wright)

Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun (Waters)

Played live:

Reaction in G (Barrett/Mason/Waters/Wright)
Millionaire/One in a Million (Barrett/Waters)

Written or mostly written:

Effervescing Elephant (Barrett)
Milky Way (Barrett)
See Saw (Wright)
Golden Hair (Barrett/Joyce)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-31 12:34 by Squiggle.

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: March 31, 2011 01:29

The Small Faces' 1862 (Marriott/Lane):

The Autumn Stone
Red Balloon (Hardin)
Call It Something Nice
Wham Bam Thank You Mam
The Universal?
Colibosher?
Picaninny?
Wide Eyed Girl on the Wall?
Donkey Rides, A Penny, A Glass
War of the Worlds?
Pig Trotters/Wrist Job?
Buttermilk Boy?
Stone?
Devotion?
Getting Closer (McLagan)?
If I Were a Carpenter (Hardin)?

etc.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2054
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home