Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

75 shows...
Posted by: tipps ()
Date: March 26, 2011 20:40

I think MIck is singing too fast on some shows on this tour. What are your comments. I like the Luxury in Toronto and Hold on Tight very much. What are your views on these two shows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-26 20:41 by tipps.

Re: 75 shows...
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: March 26, 2011 23:54

I don't dislike ANY Stones tour but this is my least favorite.I think Mick sounded like he didnt care if he got the words right or not half the time and I didnt favor giving any time to Preston during the Stones set. Seemed very unorganized to me but thats just my take.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: March 27, 2011 18:38

I quite liked the '75 tour although they could be unbelieveably sloppy on that tour. The '76 tour was much weaker. The good '75 shows were still as intense as the '72/'73 era. I think the '75 tour gets a bad rap because the only show available as a pro shot video is the 7/11/75 show and it's probably the worst show of the tour.

The Toronto show is a very good one and if memory serves, "Hold On Tight" is New York 6/27? I think so. That's a good one too although Mick's voice is blown out from singing in 3 hour shows for 6 nights straight. Still one of the best listens from the 75 tour.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: March 27, 2011 20:48

The '72 and '75 Tours are my all-time favorite tours! They were colorful, exciting, frantic, everything rock should be. Yes, unpredictable too, but hey, it's the Stones at their peak. Mick's vocals were growling at times but he never looked better. Just my opinion.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: March 27, 2011 22:13

My first concert 7/9/1975 LA Forum. Pure Stones. No filler. Awesome.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 28, 2011 02:29

Still not as bad as 78 and 81.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 28, 2011 03:44

Better sloppy in '75 then one record in the last 14 years that isn't good.....not speaking about there last tours

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: March 28, 2011 19:09

1978 was "bad" ??

Hah!! You my friend, were obviously not at the Capitol Theater in Passiac the night that tour stopped there...

Posted by: Ferret ()
Date: March 29, 2011 01:51

I love this tour, it was great in a frantic, overblown, coked up way. Better than the slick crap of the last 20 years!

Date: March 29, 2011 06:54

The '72, '75 and '81 tours were awesome, '78 SUCKED!

Posted by: Anderson ()
Date: March 29, 2011 12:57

The 1978 tour was the best tour in the 70 - 82 period, apart from 1972/73. IMO.

Date: March 29, 2011 18:39

It must be all about the age of the fans; my first Stones show was in July 1972 and I was so blown away by it, I can still conjure up those feelings of excitement!! The 1978 Tour was the Some Girls Tour and I never loved that cd, way too punkish for me, not the Stones sound that I grew up with, so it is my least favorite Stones period.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 29, 2011 18:49

"not the Stones sound that I grew up with"

Yeah the band evolves and moves on, fans don't... Old story!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 29, 2011 20:05

hahahahahaha.........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: March 29, 2011 20:09

1978 and 1969 were the best tours ever ;-)

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 29, 2011 22:00

Anderson
The 1978 tour was the best tour in the 70 - 82 period, apart from 1972/73. IMO.
I agree.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: March 29, 2011 23:15

I disagree, I don't call it " not evolving", I call it a preference, a matter of taste. Your age determines which decade of Stones music you prefer. Obviously if you were born in 1985, you're not going to be a huge fan of their 60's music, unless your parents blasted that music and you grew up loving it. To say the fans aren't evolved is negative. I don't mind that the Stones tried something new in 1978, I just don't happen to love it. They didn't keep producing that same " Some Girls" sound after that cd, they tried different things, most of it I loved.....not Dirty Work however!!

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: March 29, 2011 23:36

I agree,Debra. It does seem to have something to do with a certain time in one's life. My favorite tour is 72 and my favorite Stones period is the Taylor era but those were my "teenager-angry young man" years. A good friend of mine who is about 4 yrs younger favorite period is the Some Girls-Tattoo You one. It doesnt always mean the music or guitarists(Brian,MT, or Ron) has to be better than the other but it kinda affects how you feel.Ironically, my favorite Ronnie Wood stuff is the Faces and solo work that he was doing prior to the Stones but once again it was that period for me!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 29, 2011 23:50

.....I don't know how really anyone can trash or complain about any of their tours/work before 81...it all seems epic and what a ride...wow....the how, what, why, and all that went into their agreements to continue even though they disagreed immeasurably and have never really reconciled is all up for debate...because they were never the same band after...except for a little bit during Licks....and if you were lucky enough and saw them decades ago you saw some of that same fire.....and it was epic too.

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: March 30, 2011 02:38

I like the 81 tour very much seeing them 3 times then after that 94 VL was very nice. Did you know the VL tour had the most merchandise ever on any tour.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 30, 2011 02:57

Man I am surprised by the ragging on the 78 tour. Have you folks listened to Handsome Girls? WOW! Fantastic stuff, i know they were quite erratic on that tour, but man the stuff captured on Handsome Girls is phenominal. Back to the basics, full on rock n' roll and in your face.
I also never understood the disdain for the 75 tour and LYL. I love them both. They are ragged, but interesting. And some of the arrangements they used were fantastic. The version of You Got To Move is incredible. Very menacing blues, with a beautiful jazzy breakdown by Billy. Wonderful. Hot Stuff was electrifying funk that just got the house sweaty and moving. Fingerprint File with Jagger on guitar was great! Then you have El Macombo, they really should release the entire show! Without overdubs and just put it out like a boot.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 30, 2011 04:25

whitem8
Man I am surprised by the ragging on the 78 tour. Have you folks listened to Handsome Girls? WOW! Fantastic stuff, i know they were quite erratic on that tour, but man the stuff captured on Handsome Girls is phenominal. Back to the basics, full on rock n' roll and in your face.
I also never understood the disdain for the 75 tour and LYL. I love them both. They are ragged, but interesting. And some of the arrangements they used were fantastic. The version of You Got To Move is incredible. Very menacing blues, with a beautiful jazzy breakdown by Billy. Wonderful. Hot Stuff was electrifying funk that just got the house sweaty and moving. Fingerprint File with Jagger on guitar was great! Then you have El Macombo, they really should release the entire show! Without overdubs and just put it out like a boot.

Very true (about being erratic). I saw one GREAT show (Tucson) followed by a really mediocre one (Anaheim - I forget which day). I used to have the Capitol Theater boot on vinyl and it was great. I loved how stripped down they were compared to '75. And I liked all that three-guitar thrashy stuff from SG that they did.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1232
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home