Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Come On - 51 years ago this week in May
Posted by: onestep ()
Date: May 11, 2014 17:03

COME ON!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-11 20:16 by bv.

Re: 51 years ago this week in May
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 11, 2014 18:03

With many thanks to His Majesty, here's some articles about this release.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-11 19:20 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: May 11, 2014 19:29

I have to agree 100% about this track.

Good but not as great. Now Down the road apiece, Mona, etc.
are great!

Their entire album made the Stones the Greatest.
Come on just got fans to listen.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 11, 2014 19:52

thumbs up

Re: Come On - 51 years ago this week in May
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 11, 2014 21:28

Wonderful to read those reviews, thanks for sharing!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 11, 2014 21:35

Date: May 12, 2014 00:35

Irix
Link to the IORR-Thread '50 Years ago: Rolling Stones' 1st UK-Single'.

Thanks for posting that link, reminding us that wonderful story Green Lady wrote about her connection with this song. smiling smiley

Date: May 12, 2014 00:43

Koen

I think we all have to send a huge thank you to His Majesty, who posted a file with hundreds of these reviews from 1963-1978 magazines (mostly NME and Record Mirror) sometime ago. smileys with beer

Date: May 12, 2014 00:47

Cristiano Radtke
Koen

I think we all have to send a huge thank you to His Majesty, who posted a file with hundreds of these reviews from 1963-1978 magazines (mostly NME and Record Mirror) sometime ago. smileys with beer

Twas a pleasure, thanks for the thanks.

smileys with beer

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: May 12, 2014 00:49

I wonder why this song is included in "GRRRR"..Not a good way to begin a so great album !!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 12, 2014 00:57

This is what my copy of Come On looks like. After falling in love with Not Fade Away, I bought I Wanna Be Your Man and the EPs, and the first album, but had no luck getting Come On--I was told it was out of print. I eventually found this ex-jukebox copy, and had to tape an adapter into the middle (British record-players used them as standard, unlike US players). Note all the names on the jacket of the artists they wanted you to buy--this was before the Stones were as big as the likes of Billy J Kramer, Brenda Lee, or the Fourmost. grinning smiley

It wasn't great quality, but I was so excited to track it down, and it only cost 3/11 (singles usually cost 6/8). These days that feels like saying it cost three groats or something.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 12, 2014 00:59

....hey that's mighty cool Aqua ... thanks for sharing ........

ROCKMAN

Date: May 12, 2014 00:59

cool smiley

Date: May 12, 2014 01:15

jp.M

I wonder why this song is included in "GRRRR"..Not a good way to begin a so great album !!

Perhaps because it was the 1st UK-Single ..... it was also the opening song on the 'Rolled Gold' (1975/2007) compilation.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: May 12, 2014 01:21

..not a good reason to mix it with really excellent tunes....

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 12, 2014 01:35

No thread on this tune would be complete without the version recorded for the BBC, where there is another, stronger guitar part (from 0:51) making this version slightly longer than the studio recording and with a somewhat better performance overall than its studio counterpart. It is also likely the only live version known to exist of the Stones performing their debut single.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 12, 2014 05:43

Obviously this should get a mention here. Very cool moment and perhaps the only true "50th anniversary celebration" of that tour:

Date: May 12, 2014 08:35

RollingFreak
Obviously this should get a mention here. Very cool moment and perhaps the only true "50th anniversary celebration" of that tour:

Very cool indeed, and it's great that this was professionally filmed. It's always fun to watch this.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 12, 2014 09:02

I bought the single as not brand new 1964...Thought the b-side was far better....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 12, 2014 09:24

I love this song

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 12, 2014 09:31

Come On
I bought the single as not brand new 1964...Thought the b-side was far better....

I did too--or at least, it sounded more like what by that time I'd come to identify with the Stones.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 12, 2014 10:21

I recall buying the UK version of BIG HITS just for this song. During the early 80's, it was a rather difficult song to catch for a just born collector, with no too much money in his pockets. It was in ROLLED GOLD but not in any other major collections at the time.

- Doxa

Posted by: mrsw ()
Date: May 12, 2014 11:54

One of the first old Stones songs I liked back in 82 when I started liking them.I really like Mick's vocals on it.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 12, 2014 17:07

Why haven't they played it?

confused smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 12, 2014 17:21

RollingFreak

That was Toronto June 6...I was at the show! It was a quite funny moment. I'd wished they'd played the whole song but it was still nice to get that bit.

"Charlie remembers it"...hysterical.

Posted by: thosewildhorses ()
Date: May 13, 2014 06:37

is it really 51 years? makes me feel so aged! smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 13, 2014 07:59

It wasn't available in the States until the release of More Hits in 72/73? It was quite a shock to know that was their first record. It's quite clunky and doesn't sound like they've got their heart in it. It sounds like they're trying to make a pop hit, but out of the wrong material. I believe Not Fade Away was the first U.S. single, which is a whole other level of Stones compared to Come On.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 13, 2014 09:30

24FPS
It wasn't available in the States until the release of More Hits in 72/73? It was quite a shock to know that was their first record. It's quite clunky and doesn't sound like they've got their heart in it. It sounds like they're trying to make a pop hit, but out of the wrong material. I believe Not Fade Away was the first U.S. single, which is a whole other level of Stones compared to Come On.

Yeah, interesting little detail that it really wasn't released in USA before the 70's. But now to think of that, the same thing holds for almost rest of the world, "Come On" turned out to be a British speciality... Okay, those who got UK version of BIG HITS in 1966 get to know it.

By the time the Stones hit America, they had already released three singles and an EP in UK. So "Not Fade Away", backed up with another UK A-side "I Wanna Be Your Man" was almost like 'best of' single of their recordings by then. But despite that effort, the single didn't do that good, charting 40something. They quickly realized that American pop audience would not be won by raw rhythm'n'blues numbers, but "heavy soul ballads", a'la "Time Is On My Side"...

- Doxa

Date: May 13, 2014 10:00

24FPS

According to Wikipedia, the 1st official US-release of 'Come On' was on the 'More Hot Rocks' compilation (11-Dec-1972).

Keith talks in his autobiography 'LIFE' about the song: "I quite cold-bloodedly saw this song as just a way to get in. To get into the studio and to come up with something very commercial. It’s very different from Chuck Berry’s version; it’s very Beatle-ized, in fact." Another Keith citation: "We were always doing other people's material but (with Come On) we thought we'd have a go at that - Oh, it sounds catchy. And it worked out. At the time it was done just to get a record out. We never wanted to hear it. The idea was Andrew's - to get a strong single so they'd let us make an album which back then was a privilege."

The 1st US-Single of the Stones was indeed 'Not Fade Away' (6-Mar-1964).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-13 12:00 by Irix.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 13, 2014 17:48

I remember really being let-down the first time I heard this off the "More Hot Rocks" LP. The Stones were always the ultimate doing "Chuck Berry"..mostly improving on the originals like "Bye Bye Johnny" and "Talkin' Bout You" was a Killer. Come On was such a weak wimpy version(especially compared to Chuck's version) and I don't think The Stones themselves were very proud of it at the time because there's loads of stories about how ALO had to practically beat them to play it live....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-13 17:49 by scottkeef.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1744
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home