Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
2nd Guitar on live Sweet Virginia, L&GTRS
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 5, 2014 04:35

I was watching/listening to Ladies and Gentlemen the Rolling Stones last night, and I heard two guitars playing the intro to Sweet Virginia. I could see Keith playing his part, but Mick Taylor's hands and fingers weren't moving. No one was shown playing it, which was the more complex, fingering part, as Keith strummed along. Was it pre-recorded? If not, who among the other musicians would have done that part, live? Or did they dub it in later to the film soundtrack?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-05 06:17 by 24FPS.

Re: 2nd Guitar on live Sweet Virginia, L&GTRS
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 5, 2014 07:40

That's because Taylor is so good he can play without moving his hands or fingers. smoking smiley

Date: May 5, 2014 08:07

That has baffled me for a while as well. Taylor plays it, and it's beautiful. The pictures are mixed from different shows, though, so it's probably just bad editing.

Date: May 5, 2014 08:18

The performance of L&G is great. Unfortunately the camera was on Mick Jagger's backside for 75% of the film, so you can rarely see what the Stones are playing. I would love to have all the raw footage and re-edit this.

Date: May 5, 2014 09:09

The guitar part in question definitely sounds like the actual studio recording version from Exile, but Taylor's hands and fingers do nothing as its being played, although Keith is doing his part. (Or at least miming it). I'm beginning to think they added it later in post. It's so obvious though. And why wouldn't Mick Taylor play his part live? It's not that incredibly complex. Did someone else play it on the record?

I just went back and watched it again. There's nothing live sounding about it until Jagger starts to sing. Very odd. I wonder what the actual audience heard? Could they have played a tape, live? That seems so unlikely. But what would be the explanation for one guitarist playing (Keith), while the other one sits (Taylor) there, doing nothing? It's definitely a two guitar job.

Date: May 5, 2014 10:19

24FPS
The guitar part in question definitely sounds like the actual studio recording version from Exile, but Taylor's hands and fingers do nothing as its being played, although Keith is doing his part. (Or at least miming it). I'm beginning to think they added it later in post. It's so obvious though. And why wouldn't Mick Taylor play his part live? It's not that incredibly complex. Did someone else play it on the record?

I just went back and watched it again. There's nothing live sounding about it until Jagger starts to sing. Very odd. I wonder what the actual audience heard? Could they have played a tape, live? That seems so unlikely. But what would be the explanation for one guitarist playing (Keith), while the other one sits (Taylor) there, doing nothing? It's definitely a two guitar job.

My guess is that it had something to do with the fact that acoustics were difficult to get right in a live setting in those days. The mix on them might not have been strong enough from the performance.

Date: May 5, 2014 17:14

71Tele
24FPS

My guess is that it had something to do with the fact that acoustics were difficult to get right in a live setting in those days. The mix on them might not have been strong enough from the performance.

That's possible, though they did do Prodigal Son in '69, and the acoustics would have been the same, or worse. From the video all you would have heard in the arena was Keith's part, since Mick Taylor did nothing. Which makes me suspicious that either Taylor didn't do the studio version and they actually piped it into the arena, or/and it only had Keith playing and it sounded too thin on the soundtrack.

Do we have instances of Taylor being really good on acoustic? I never think of his acoustic fingering, and in the Sweet Virginia video they never show Taylor again after the intro. (Where he doesn't play).

Date: May 5, 2014 17:18

24FPS
71Tele
24FPS

That's possible, though they did do Prodigal Son in '69, and the acoustics would have been the same, or worse. From the video all you would have heard in the arena was Keith's part, since Mick Taylor did nothing. Which makes me suspicious that either Taylor didn't do the studio version and they actually piped it into the arena, or/and it only had Keith playing and it sounded too thin on the soundtrack.

Do we have instances of Taylor being really good on acoustic? I never think of his acoustic fingering, and in the Sweet Virginia video they never show Taylor again after the intro. (Where he doesn't play).

Yes, he is on acoustic on Wild Horses, Til The Next Goodbye and many others, and his solo album has some nice acoustic work. Maybe he forgot to play his line or (more likely) the mix of acoustics vs. the rest of the band wasn't very good. Prodigal Son did not have to compete with other instruments, other than a bit of Charlie.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: May 5, 2014 17:39

L&G

Philadelphia

New York

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: May 5, 2014 17:49

24FPS

Do we have instances of Taylor being really good on acoustic?

...Satisfaction live '50&Counting'!! >grinning smiley< (Sorry; I couldn't resist it.)

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 5, 2014 17:54

Taylors part is NOT the same as the studio version.

My guess it was overdubbed for the film later.

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: May 5, 2014 18:14

71Tele
The performance of L&G is great. Unfortunately the camera was on Mick Jagger's backside for 75% of the film, so you can rarely see what the Stones are playing. I would love to have all the raw footage and re-edit this.

Awwww, yeah! My only complaint about L&G--too much Jagger!

Date: May 5, 2014 19:58

MingSubu
L&G

Philadelphia

New York

From these comparisons it sounds like what people got live was Keith playing his part, while Taylor stayed silent. And that yes, they dubbed in the second guitar part for the film soundtrack.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 5, 2014 20:16

RoughJusticeOnYa
24FPS

...Satisfaction live '50&Counting'!! >grinning smiley< (Sorry; I couldn't resist it.)
WH from SF

Date: May 5, 2014 20:57

DoomandGloom
RoughJusticeOnYa
24FPS

WH from SF

That's the "pling plong" Nashville-strummed guitar. It's great, but hardly a normal acoustic guitar track smiling smiley

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: May 5, 2014 21:19

It's the same poor mix as 'Happy' where the soundtrack voices don't fit the movie, bad editing

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: May 5, 2014 21:46

24FPS

It's not what he's known for, but yes, he is a fine acoustic player, as these relatively recent recordings from Kleermaker's YouTube channel demonstrate:

Date: May 5, 2014 21:56

DandelionPowderman
DoomandGloom
RoughJusticeOnYa
24FPS

WH from SF

That's the "pling plong" Nashville-strummed guitar. It's great, but hardly a normal acoustic guitar track smiling smiley

Why is it "pling plong"? Sounds great to me, and essential to the song.

Date: May 5, 2014 22:55

71Tele
DandelionPowderman
DoomandGloom
RoughJusticeOnYa
24FPS

WH from SF

I agree totally! I was merely trying to explain which guitar Taylor played, in case he thought it was the other acoustic.

In fairness, it has a pingy sound smiling smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 7, 2014 00:58

Have a listen to the rendition of SV in Vienna 1973 Sept. 1
It seems clear to me that Taylor is playing those 'fast' notes in the beginning of the song. They're at least very well audible.

Date: May 7, 2014 01:14

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman
DoomandGloom
RoughJusticeOnYa
24FPS

WH from SF

I agree totally! I was merely trying to explain which guitar Taylor played, in case he thought it was the other acoustic.

In fairness, it has a pingy sound smiling smiley

ok smoking smiley

Date: May 7, 2014 01:23

DandelionPowderman
DoomandGloom
RoughJusticeOnYa
24FPS

WH from SF

"Hardly normal" is what makes it a great track, it is pure genius from engineers to composers, in fact I dare you to find a track anywhere that compares to Taylor's part and the way the guitars are mixed. I remember reading a fly on the wall account of SF and what stuck was this nashville part did not come easy and was constructed over many long hours. As with any musician Taylor can only play as well as the material provided so this was a perfect senario . In his tenure the songs were fantastic as was everything everyone contributed that's why we still love it today.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: May 7, 2014 10:22

I read somewhere in an contemporary interview (Rolling Stone?) that during the 1972 tour Jagger never played the harmonica on Sweet Virginia live because it would have been too difficult for him so he mimed it to a tape. This coul dexplain why the intro was overdubbed.

Date: May 7, 2014 10:24

DoomandGloom
DandelionPowderman
DoomandGloom
RoughJusticeOnYa
24FPS

WH from SF

"Hardly normal" is what makes it a great track, it is pure genius from engineers to composers, in fact I dare you to find a track anywhere that compares to Taylor's part and the way the guitars are mixed. I remember reading a fly on the wall account of SF and what stuck was this nashville part did not come easy and was constructed over many long hours. As with any musician Taylor can only play as well as the material provided so this was a perfect senario . In his tenure the songs were fantastic as was everything everyone contributed that's why we still love it today.

Absolutely!

But it's hard to judge his acoustic abilities by that track, let's agree on that grinning smiley

Alabama on his first solo album shows some good acoustic playing, though.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 7, 2014 10:32

saltoftheearth
I read somewhere in an contemporary interview (Rolling Stone?) that during the 1972 tour Jagger never played the harmonica on Sweet Virginia live because it would have been too difficult for him so he mimed it to a tape. This coul dexplain why the intro was overdubbed.

Jagger always had played the harmonica part live.

Mathijs

Date: May 7, 2014 12:45

No playback, of course, the harp sounds different everytime...

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 7, 2014 14:09

DandelionPowderman
DoomandGloom
DandelionPowderman
DoomandGloom
RoughJusticeOnYa
24FPS

WH from SF

Absolutely!

But it's hard to judge his acoustic abilities by that track, let's agree on that grinning smiley

Alabama on his first solo album shows some good acoustic playing, though.

Didn't you listen to those acoustic videos Stonesburst posted up here? Some great acoustic playing by Taylor.

Date: May 7, 2014 14:16

I have heard them all before, kleerie. Never doubted Taylor's acoustic skills - or his skills in general, for that matter.

My post was directed at Doom And Gloom, because of him using WH as an example of whether Taylor was a good acoustic player or not smiling smiley

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 11, 2014 03:19

I also like how bill sounds on this one. And charlie too. Its a group effort.

Date: May 11, 2014 03:55

Mathijs
saltoftheearth

Jagger always had played the harmonica part live.

Mathijs
Can anyone imagine the 1972 Stones being able to play to something pre-recorded?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1428
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home