Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The London Rock n Roll Show (1972) (feat. Mick)
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 10, 2014 10:30

Never seen this before. Mick says something about Little Richard.

Re: The London Rock n Roll Show (1972) (feat. Mick)
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 10, 2014 10:32

Interestingly Bill Haley is fantastic. What a band and what an artist.

And of course Mick wouldnt be caught dead saying anything about him. Mick in 1972 had to pretend he only listened to the 50s "black" artists. I sort of get it, segregation wasnt old news and toddler Jagger was taunted for his looks in the 50s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-10 10:41 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 10, 2014 11:13

Redhotcarpet
Interestingly Bill Haley is fantastic. What a band and what an artist.

And of course Mick wouldnt be caught dead saying anything about him. Mick in 1972 had to pretend he only listened to the 50s "black" artists. I sort of get it, segregation wasnt old news and toddler Jagger was taunted for his looks in the 50s.

confused smiley Jerry Lee Lewis, Gene Vincent, Roy Orbison, the Everly Brothers, the band never had any problems expressing appreciation of them . . . ?

I saw JLL a couple months later, he was terrific. smiling smiley

Date: May 10, 2014 11:35

Eddie Cochran and Buddy Holly as well.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: May 10, 2014 13:01

Redhotcarpet
Never seen this before. Mick says something about Little Richard.

It says "Full concert video" - that is of course the full video and not the full concert.

My ticket, yes I was there, says start at 12:30 (5th August 1972), and as it ended at 10:00pm (see later) the actual show was probably about 7 hours long.

Imagine... Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Bo Diddley and Jerry Lee on the same bill.

It was the first time that Wembley Stadium had been used for a "pop' concert, and of course it was a trail blazer for many more - including some quite historic ones - Live Aid was only 13 years later.

I know that he's outside the pale now, but Gary Glitter was a standout performer. He came on to universal booing - I mean, why do 20,000 rockers want to see someone like him. And he well and truly won the audience over with a dynamic performance and he (alone I think) had to do an encore.

Towards the end of the evening, it was obvious that Little Richard knew about the 10:00 curfew and was elongating his set to cut short time available to Chuck Berry, and that wasn't nice.

Chuck was on form and was of course a legend.

AH.. memories.

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: May 10, 2014 14:07

Hey did"nt MC5 play aswell.I seem to remember they got a bad reception.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1547
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home