Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

How long were the Stones REALLY in Exile?
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 16, 2010 01:42

Someone posted a great question on another thread which I'm reposting here so it doesn't get lost:

"How long did the selfimposed exile after moving to France really last? For some reason I always assumed RS recorded in Jamaica, Rotterdam, Paris +++ for the same "tax-exiled" purpose as on EOMS. However, according to the info above, during the GHS sessions they were back in London working in 1973. Thoughts on that?"

Drew

Re: How long were the Stones REALLY in Exile?
Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: September 16, 2010 03:29

The tax laws allowed them a certain amount of days in the UK without being taxed as residents.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: September 16, 2010 07:27

9 months or so.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: September 16, 2010 11:40

And it was of no purpose, because Keith's legal bills and bribes ate up all of the funds they had saved from being taxed.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 16, 2010 11:49

drewmaster
Someone posted a great question on another thread which I'm reposting here so it doesn't get lost:

"How long did the selfimposed exile after moving to France really last? For some reason I always assumed RS recorded in Jamaica, Rotterdam, Paris +++ for the same "tax-exiled" purpose as on EOMS. However, according to the info above, during the GHS sessions they were back in London working in 1973. Thoughts on that?"

Drew

It actually continues to this day for Jagger and Richards. Wood and Watts have chosen to pay taxes in the UK.

All earnings for Jagger and Richards are collected in Dutch companies (in Holland you do not pay tax over copyrights collected outside Holland) and then spread out through a most complicated structure of banks on far-way tax havens like Guernsey, Dutch Antilles etc.

There are certain rules they now have to follow. Jagger and Richards are not allowed more than 90 days in Britain, and must spend more than 1 week per year in the Netherlands. The latter also goes for Wood and Watts, whom spend a week in the Amstel hotel in Amsterdam some months ago only for tax purposes.

Mathijs

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: September 16, 2010 12:04

Even now they are non-UK residents and domiciled overseas. If they work more than they're allowed to in the UK they will get a huge tax bill. I remember a few years ago they had to re-schedule some of their UK concerts for tax reasons.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: September 16, 2010 12:15

Mathijs
drewmaster

Drew

There are certain rules they now have to follow. Jagger and Richards are not allowed more than 90 days in Britain, and must spend more than 1 week per year in the Netherlands.
Mathijs

are you sure it is not just 90 consecutive days? I would think Jagger spends more then 90 days total in the UK in a year.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: September 16, 2010 13:25

As far as I know, they must not be more than 182 days in any one country or they become tax residents.

Date: September 16, 2010 13:32

Ket
Mathijs
drewmaster

Drew

There are certain rules they now have to follow. Jagger and Richards are not allowed more than 90 days in Britain, and must spend more than 1 week per year in the Netherlands.
Mathijs

are you sure it is not just 90 consecutive days? I would think Jagger spends more then 90 days total in the UK in a year.

I thought 90 days in total.

Mathijs

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 16, 2010 14:15

Funny, being so rich makes one's life so limited... for example, can't stay more than 90 days in one's homeland...

- Doxa

Date: September 16, 2010 14:36

Doxa
Funny, being so rich makes one's life so limited... for example, can't stay more than 90 days in one's homeland...

- Doxa

Yeah, it does seem terrible to wonder between a castle in France and mansions in Chelsea London, Upper West Side NYC, India, Bali, Amsterdam, Paris, Rome, Fiji, L.A....

Oh and they always keep a spare bed at the George V, Amstel, Beverly Wilshire, Dorchester, The Plaza, Meurice....

Indeed 12 months in rainy England is much more attractive!

Mathijs

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 16, 2010 15:05

Mathijs your knowledge never ceass to amaze me!

Do you know what is the % of taxes they pay yearly? Some say 5%...

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 4, 2014 05:43

I just finished reading Robert Greenfield's 2006 EXILE book and the "financial straits" aspect of the Stones at that time was undermined a bit when Keith goes into Cannes and buys Anita a $7,000 precious-gem ring. With 1971 dollars.

Date: May 4, 2014 10:18

1971 francs, perhaps? winking smiley

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: May 5, 2014 00:12

Mathijs
drewmaster

Drew

It actually continues to this day for Jagger and Richards. Wood and Watts have chosen to pay taxes in the UK.

All earnings for Jagger and Richards are collected in Dutch companies (in Holland you do not pay tax over copyrights collected outside Holland) and then spread out through a most complicated structure of banks on far-way tax havens like Guernsey, Dutch Antilles etc.

There are certain rules they now have to follow. Jagger and Richards are not allowed more than 90 days in Britain, and must spend more than 1 week per year in the Netherlands. The latter also goes for Wood and Watts, whom spend a week in the Amstel hotel in Amsterdam some months ago only for tax purposes.

Mathijs

Mathijs, are you a special agent in The Netherlands? Guitars, riffs, or tax-invasion schemes.. Amazing knowledge... I enjoyed very much your farewell show in Amsterdamn, by the way... A hundred years ago.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1401
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home