Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Prayers Up for Henry McCullough
Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: May 1, 2014 02:25

Missed this somehow. Shocked to find that such tragedy had struck this great Irish guitarist last year. The first Grease Band LP is essential listening for Stones fans, not to mention Woodstock with Cocker....Peace, Henry! Sorry youre down.

[somethingelsereviews.com]

Re: OT: Prayers Up for Henry McCullough
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 1, 2014 02:44

Excellent guitarist. For the recording of the song My Love, McCullough came to the session unprepared and just knocked off the solo spontaneously in a single take. The version below is taken from a performance for the 1973 television special James Paul McCartney.

"But when it came down to the "My Love" thing, I just felt meself that it was time. I didn't want to play with somebody else if I didn't think it was good enough. And I can't remember what it was I was asked to play, but whatever it was I refused and said that I was going to change the solo. So Paul says, "Well, what are you going to play?" I said, "I don't know." Well, that put the fear of God in him, I think. Because there I am, just me and a 50-piece orchestra in the studio and there's George Martin in the control room and Paul. I knew it was going to be a turning point in some shape or form regardless of what I came up with. I don't use pedals or anything, so I just plugged into the amp and that was it - it was all over and done with very quickly. I went in and they ran the track and I did it once and went back into the control room and there was silence. And I thought I was going to have to do it again or something. But it was not the case."

--Henry McCullough

His voice can also be heard on the album Dark Side Of The Moon where he utters "I don't know, I was really drunk at the time..." during Money. The true context of McCullough's line while recording his interview bits for the Dark Side sessions involves a quarrel he had with his girlfriend the night before.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: May 1, 2014 02:53

Great guitarist-- his work with McCartney, Cocker and others was terrific--
in my prayers, Henry

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: May 1, 2014 03:02

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 1, 2014 09:58

The article is dated January 30, 2013 i.e. more than one year ago. A more recent article dated February 23, 2014 is stating this:

Van The Man steps in to help disabled guitar ace Henry McCullough

[www.irishmirror.ie]

Van Morrison has proved that underneath his gruff exterior there beats a real heart of gold.

When the singer heard his musician pal Henry McCullough, who suffered a massive heart attack, was having trouble showering he had a special wet room built in the guitar player’s house.

Henry, 70, now uses a wheelchair but cannot speak, although he can still see and hear.

A source said: “Van heard that Henry, who is being looked after by his wife Josie, was having terrible trouble getting showered and bathed.

“So Van decided to step in and help. He had a room in the couple’s home turned into a special wet room and Henry can now be pushed in there in his wheelchair and get washed.

“It’s a huge help to both him and Josie.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 1, 2014 14:48

-deleted-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-01 15:13 by Koen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1312
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home