Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Who was Bill Graham's partner who scored a house off Stones?
Posted by: PeanutGallery ()
Date: January 21, 2013 01:42

In Keith's book, Life, at pp. 479-480 in the regular hard copy, Keith is talking about the rigors of the business in terms of their difficulties in getting their due share from promoters and here addressing the late Bill Graham. The Rupert, Keith is talking about, is Rupert Loewenstein, one of their business advisors:

The Stones only started to make money through touring in the '8os-the tour of '8r-'82 was the start of the big stadium venues and broke box office records for rock shows. Bill Graham u,as the promoter. He was the king of rock concerts at the time, a big backer of the counterculture, of unknown artists and good causes, as well as bands like the Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplane. But that last tour was a rather dodgy period-a lot of bits were going missing. The mathematics weren't adding up.To put it more simply, we needed to get control of our shows again. Rupert Loewenstein had reordered the finances so that, basically, we didn't get cheated out of eighty per- cent of the takings, which was nice. On a fifty-dollar ticket, up till then, we'd get three dollars. He set up sponsorship and clawed back merchandising deals. He cleaned out the scams and fiddles, or most of them. He made us viable. I loved Bill dearly, he was a wonderful guy, but his head was beginning to turn. He was getting too big for his boots, as they all do when they've been doing it for too long. Separate from Bill, his business partners were stealing money from us and openly bragging about it-one of them telling how he bought a house with it. The inside machinations are nothing to do with me. Eventually I m going to end up on stage playing. That's why I pay other people. The whole point is that I can only do what I do if I have the space to do it in. That's why you work with people like Bill Graham or Michael Cohl or whoever. They take this weight off your shoulders. but you're going to get a good cut of it. All I've got to do is have some- body on my staff like Rupert or fane who makes sure at the end of the day that the right shekels end up in the right pot. There was a big meeting on one of the islands when we threw in our lot with Michael Cohl, and he then did allour tours up to A Bigger Bang in zoo6.

Who is Keith talking about here? Bill Graham had many “partners” — who is Keith referring to who scored a house from over-reaches on the Stones' moneys?

Peanut
PeanutGallery

Re: Who was Bill Graham's partner who scored a house off Stones?
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 21, 2013 02:03

You really expect anybody who knows to answer your question ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: PeanutGallery ()
Date: January 21, 2013 07:31

Rolling Hansie

Sure. There's a wide readership here. Some will know. Of course your inference of apprehension is solid, since posters here use their real names. ;—) I have you down for a maybe if it comes to mind.

As I have time, we'll flesh out the usual suspects from the record — who the partners were; take a look at when this probably occurred; and, if necessary, who of those folks were making what house acquisitions then. In today's digital day and age, ain't no biggie.

What makes this particularly relevant here, now, is that I know of one of those folks who is presently associated with one of the entities noted by others in this list, as being in the competition for this next tour. Think that just might possibly have some impact in the selection process? You betcha.

Pass this on,.. and, thanks.

Peanut
PeanutGallery

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: May 1, 2014 06:57

Rolling Hansie

Maybe somebody does know.

BUMP

Posted by: scott ()
Date: May 1, 2014 07:25

Keith might have been referring to Larry Magid of Electric Factory Concerts.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1016
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home