Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: any fans of Meat Loaf?
Date: October 12, 2013 09:29

Meat Loaf has released a statement saying he is working with jim steinman and desmond child to release Brave and Crazy in 2014. this will possibly be called BAT OUT OF HELL 4: BRAVE AND CRAZY. meat loaf may also finally record 2 songs written for him by steinman in the 80's but given to other artists after the record company refused to pay steinman. these 2 songs are "making love out of nothing at all" which was a hit for air supply and "total eclipse of the heart" which was a hit for bonnie tyler. meat loaf says this could possibly be his last album

Re: OT: any fans of Meat Loaf?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 12, 2013 09:32

....use ta love it sliced thin with tomato sauce between fresh bread...

ROCKMAN

Date: October 12, 2013 09:48

Rockman

i knew someone would do that

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 12, 2013 09:50

.... there's a clown in every circus

ROCKMAN

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 12, 2013 09:58

He's great... to a point. Bat Out Of Hell is undoubtedly phenomenal. Meat Loaf shines on it with amazing vocals, but Steinman is also key with those songs. That album is a masterpiece, and I actually just heard it recently. It never gets old.

Problem is, Meat Loaf started to think he was real hot shit after that. I don't know his solo albums, and I'm sure between them there is an album's worth of good songs. But on his own he was never that great. Bat Out Of Hell 2 is ok. Its got some good songs. Bat Out Of Hell 3 is kind of pointless. He just always seems to think he's a lot better than he is. Basically, the guy has one incredible top 50 album of all time.

His voice has also gone way downhill over the years. It was never as good live as on the record, and its almost too operatic at this point. Like in that Romney video, its just too much trying to be that Meat Loaf sound as opposed to being natural. If I were to see him in concert, I would want him to play Bat Out Of Hell start to finish, come out for an encore of I'd Do ANything For Love, then close the show with Hot Patootie from Rocky Horror. Those are about the songs I like by him. I give him credit for trudging on, but come on dude, you never topped your debut and I'd say more times he's an embarrassment than actually "good".

Date: October 12, 2013 10:06

RollingFreak
He's great... to a point. Bat Out Of Hell is undoubtedly phenomenal. Meat Loaf shines on it with amazing vocals, but Steinman is also key with those songs. That album is a masterpiece, and I actually just heard it recently. It never gets old.

Problem is, Meat Loaf started to think he was real hot shit after that. I don't know his solo albums, and I'm sure between them there is an album's worth of good songs. But on his own he was never that great. Bat Out Of Hell 2 is ok. Its got some good songs. Bat Out Of Hell 3 is kind of pointless. He just always seems to think he's a lot better than he is. Basically, the guy has one incredible top 50 album of all time.

His voice has also gone way downhill over the years. It was never as good live as on the record, and its almost too operatic at this point. Like in that Romney video, its just too much trying to be that Meat Loaf sound as opposed to being natural. If I were to see him in concert, I would want him to play Bat Out Of Hell start to finish, come out for an encore of I'd Do ANything For Love, then close the show with Hot Patootie from Rocky Horror. Those are about the songs I like by him. I give him credit for trudging on, but come on dude, you never topped your debut and I'd say more times he's an embarrassment than actually "good".

i'd rank his studio albums like this:
1 bat out of hell (all songs by steinman)
2 bat out of hell 2 (all songs by steinman)
3 dead ringer (all songs by steinman)
4 bat out of hell 3 (most of the songs by steinman)
5 couldn't have said it better
6 bad attitude
7 welcome to the neighborhood
8 midnight at the lost and found (the only album where meat loaf wrote most of the material)
9 hang cool teddy bear
10 blind before i stop (bad 80's production really hurts this thing)
11 hell in a handbasket

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: October 12, 2013 10:26

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-22 09:10 by colonial.

Date: October 12, 2013 10:38

RollingFreak,

I wanted to ask what you saw or heard that made you think Meat Loaf thinks he is a big hot shot? He has delayed, rearranged and postponed albums waiting for Steinman to deliver him songs which sometimes never came so he had to start over with new songwriters.

After the Bat out of Hell tour Meat Loaf had vocal issues and instead of waiting steinman recorded the songs for RENEGADE ANGEL himself as a solo album titled BAD FOR GOOD. it bombed and meat loaf regained his voice so in 1981 after 4 years a follow up to bat out of hell was finally released. after that album made a slight impact meat loaf and the label had at it and they wouldn't pay steinman for more songs so steinman left, taking with him "total eclipse of the heart" and "making love out of nothing at all". of course in the early 90's steinman and meat loaf were able to reconnect and created BAT OUT OF HELL 2. the follow up meat loaf specifically wanted other songwriters but still recorded 2 steinman songs for WELCOME TO THE NEIGHBORHOOD in 1995. meat loaf waited almost 6 years for steinman to write songs for a new album and when nothing came meat loaf hired other writers to provide songs for COULDN'T HAVE SAID I BETTER.

how does someone who thinks he is a big shot wait more than 5 years for someone to write songs?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-12 10:40 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: October 12, 2013 11:20

Dead Ringer is the one. First rock album I ever bought. Read em and weep!
Saw him live on the Bad Attitude tour 85. he was great, but I never felt the desire to see him again. He doesn't attract that tribal fan base that The Stones or ACDC do. no ones ever gonna run into a burning house to rescue him. Which is probably just as well, cause he would be hard to shift. Ok that's a cheap gag.
Dead ringer tho... Fantastic. Might give it a spin later...Peel Out.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 12, 2013 22:05

Bat Out Of Hell - what the hell? Is it a continuing story? How lame. Can't he do something new and original?

And what the hell is the "that" in that awful he would do anything for love but he wonm't do that "song"?

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: October 12, 2013 23:24

A local VFW has dinners every Friday night and one time the sign out front said: MEAT LOAF...FRIDAY NIGHT...6:30. I wanted so bad to show up with a Meat Loaf concert shirt wondering where the band was.

Date: October 12, 2013 23:25

GasLightStreet
Bat Out Of Hell - what the hell? Is it a continuing story? How lame. Can't he do something new and original?

And what the hell is the "that" in that awful he would do anything for love but he wonm't do that "song"?

if the songs are all new hat does it matter if this is bat out of hell part 11?

the "that" is mentioned several times very clearly in the song. its literally like 9 different things. first its stuff he would do anything for love except not lie about certain things and then its he makes a promise not to screw around.

Date: October 13, 2013 06:40

GasLightStreet

btw yes bat out of hell is a semi concept album about the lust, love and death of a teenage love life.

other meat loaf albums that are semi concept albums are , DEAD RINGER, WELCOME TO THE NEIGHBORHOOD, COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER and HANG COOL TEDDY BEAR

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 13, 2013 06:58

GasLightStreet

Skippy, I thought you were a cunning linguist?

Date: October 13, 2013 07:19

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

Skippy, I thought you were a cunning linguist?

lol

anyways the "that" in the song is actually several different things. the song starts of with meat loafs character telling a women what he would do for love and then lists something he won't do. i bolded these parts in the lyrics. the chorus is actually his character taking back the one thing he won't do. he is basically telling little white lies to get the girl in bed making her think he cares

at the end of the song the girl finally tells him what he needs to do to get her in bed. at the very end she basically acuses him of using these same tricks to get more girls in bed and he finally admits he won't do that.

everyone get it now?

Date: October 13, 2013 07:21

And I would do anything for love,
I'd run right into hell and back,
I would do anything for love,
I'll never lie to you and that's a fact.

But I'll never forget the way you feel right now
- Oh no - no way - I would do anything for love,
But I wont do that, I wont do that, anything for love,
I would do anything for love, I would do anything for love,
But I wont do that, I wont do that.

Some days it don't come easy,
Some days it don't come hard
Some days it don't come at all,
And these are the days that never end.

Some nights you breath fire,
Some nights your carved in ice,
Some nights your like nothing I've ever seen before, Or will again.

Maybe Im crazy, But it's crazy and it's true,
I know you can save me, No one else can save me now but you.

As long as the planets are turning,
As long as the stars are burning,
As long as your dreams are coming true - You better believe it! -

That I would do anything for love,
And I'll be there until the final act -
I would do anything for love!
And I'll take a Vow and Seal a pact -

But I'll never forgive myself if we don't go all the way - Tonight -
But I wont do that, I wont do that...

Anything you've been dreaming of,
But I just wont do that...

Some days I pray for Silence,
Some days I pray for Soul,
Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Some nights I lose the feeling,
Some nights I lose control,
Some nights I just lose it all when I watch you dance and the thunder rolls.

Maybe I'm lonely, And that's all I'm qualified to be,
There's just one and only, The one and only promise I can keep.

As long as the wheels are turning,
As long as the fires are burning,
As long as your prayers are coming true - You better believe it - !

That I would do anything for love!
And you know it's true and that's a fact,
And there'll never be no turning back -

But I'll never do it better than I do it with you,
So long - So long - I would do anything for love,
But I wont do that, I wont do that!

Anything you've been dreaming of,
But I just wont do that...

But I'll never stop dreaming of you
Everynight of my life - No Way
-

But I wont do that, I wont do that!

Girl : Will you raise me up?
Will you help me down?
Will you help get me right out of this Godforsaken town?
Will you make it a little less cold?

Boy : I can do that!
I can do that!

Girl : Will you hold me sacred?
Will you hold me tight?
Can you colorize my life I'm so sick of black and white?
Can you make it a little less old?

I can do that!

Girl : Will you make me some magic, with your own two hands?
Can you build an Emerald city with these grains of sand?
Can you give me something that I can take home?

I can do that!

Girl : Will you cater to every fantasy that I've got?
Will ya hose me down with holy water - if I get too hot - ?
Will you take me to places that I've never known?

I can do that!

Girl : Afert a while you'll forget everything,
It was a brief interlude, And a midsummer night's fling,
And you'll see that it's time to move on.

Boy : I wont do that!
I wont do that
!

Girl : I know the territory - I've been around,
It'll all turn to dust and we'll all fall down,
And sooner or later you'll be screwing around.

Boy : I wont do that!
I wont do that!

Anything for love, I would do anything for love,
But I wont do that, I wont do that.

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: October 13, 2013 10:56

video: [youtu.be]

Meatloaf jumping the shark in Australia

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-13 10:57 by Deathgod.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 13, 2013 11:08

Well, yes, agreed on the "fresh and original" approach.

Because the "Meat Loaf" approach to the album sequels can get a little stale.

To answer the <<use ta love it sliced thin with tomato sauce between fresh bread>> post, I always like it with onions and peppers cooked in, but it doesn't keep after 36 years, not even if canned, and meats don't keep after 36 years, even if they've been canned.

Since this appears to be a tasty food thread (and what "meat loaf" isn't tasty if done right, like I said, with the right things cooked in such as onions and peppers), let's imagine if The Stones had kept on with a sequeled albums theme....

Beggars Banquet I 1968

Beggars Banquet II 1984

Beggars Banquet III 1997

Beggars Banquet IV 2015

Now, how would that have looked, how would that have tasted, without the Brown Sugar on your Sticky Fingers, without the Goat's Head Soup to spill on your Fingerprint File, without the Beast of Burden engraved on your Tattoo You?....

It would taste like cheeseburger in a can....

....something so processed and stale it wouldn't be fit to eat even after a crossfire hurricane--not even if your survival depended on it.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 13, 2013 11:31

stonehearted
Well, yes, agreed on the "fresh and original" approach.

Because the "Meat Loaf" approach to the album sequels can get a little stale.

To answer the <<use ta love it sliced thin with tomato sauce between fresh bread>> post, I always like it with onions and peppers cooked in, but it doesn't keep after 36 years, not even if canned, and meats don't keep after 36 years, even if they've been canned.

Since this appears to be a tasty food thread (and what "meat loaf" isn't tasty if done right, like I said, with the right things cooked in such as onions and peppers), let's imagine if The Stones had kept on with a sequeled albums theme....

Beggars Banquet I 1968

I agree - However, Meatloaf has a loyal fan base. From a nutrition standpoint, it's a bad choice. I only eat fish, vegetables, & "Black Coffee in Bed" Remember that classic song? Just kidding. However, eating animals is bad business for one's health.

Beggars Banquet II 1984

Beggars Banquet III 1997

Beggars Banquet IV 2015

Now, how would that have looked, how would that have tasted, without the Brown Sugar on your Sticky Fingers, without the Goat's Head Soup to spill on your Fingerprint File, without the Beast of Burden engraved on your Tattoo You?....

It would taste like cheeseburger in a can....

....something so processed and stale it wouldn't be fit to eat even after a crossfire hurricane--not even if your survival depended on it.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 13, 2013 11:34

Meat is doing a show in Las Vegas @ Planet Hollywood called "Rock Tellz & Cocktailz".

Date: October 13, 2013 11:35

i guess i just don't get it. whats the difference in creating new songs and calling something bat out of hell 1,2,3,4,5 etc based on the original concept or taking the exact same songs and calling it something different? meat loaf did that already with the album DEAD RINGER. everything about it is the exact same format as BAT OUT OUT OF HELL

Date: October 13, 2013 12:45

I'm not a huge fan. I saw the original "Bat Out of Hell" tour for $1 at a rising stars show. That was pretty good. I bet he has some interesting stories though. I'm in Vegas next weekend for Brian Wilson & Jeff Beck. Leaving the rest up in the air. I might go to his show. Steve Vai is playing too. We'll see where the muse & gambling gods lead me. That's how I roll. Haha. I have a feeling that after watching Jeff Beck from the front row, I may opt out of other music. Most other things would pale in comparison.

Date: October 13, 2013 13:06

crholmstrom
I'm not a huge fan. I saw the original "Bat Out of Hell" tour for $1 at a rising stars show. That was pretty good. I bet he has some interesting stories though. I'm in Vegas next weekend for Brian Wilson & Jeff Beck. Leaving the rest up in the air. I might go to his show. Steve Vai is playing too. We'll see where the muse & gambling gods lead me. That's how I roll. Haha. I have a feeling that after watching Jeff Beck from the front row, I may opt out of other music. Most other things would pale in comparison.

i agree. jeff beck is the best guitar player to ever walk the planet. i have heard lots of great things about the beck/wilson tour. besides meat loafs voice is shot now. it went out on him during the tour for BAT OUT OF HELL 3. oh well to sing like he did for about 30 years before his voice finally went is pretty amazing.just think meat loaf is just 4 years younger then mick jagger and keith richards

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-13 13:07 by keefriffhard4life.

Date: October 13, 2013 13:26

keefriffhard4life
crholmstrom

i agree. jeff beck is the best guitar player to ever walk the planet. i have heard lots of great things about the beck/wilson tour. besides meat loafs voice is shot now. it went out on him during the tour for BAT OUT OF HELL 3. oh well to sing like he did for about 30 years before his voice finally went is pretty amazing.just think meat loaf is just 4 years younger then mick jagger and keith richards
You know Jeff has often said of the time when he jammed with Hendrix in NYC "where were the bootleggers when you needed them". Can you imagine? I'd put Jimi & Jeff together at the top of the mountain for guitarists. So sad we didn't get to hear what Jimi would've become. The first time I saw Beck was in 1976 when I was 15. He opened for Aerosmith in the Kingdome (Seattle), which was a horrible concrete monstrosity with beyond terrible sound. Jeff was playing with Jan Hammer. He walks out & says "this place sucks! welcome to the Kingdome echo chamber". He then proceeded to tear it down. Came out for an encore & did "Train Kept a Rollin'". Aerosmith should've just gave up at that point. They did "Train" & it just paled in comparison. That was my 3rd concert & it forever changed my musical sensibilities. Another memorable one was when he toured with Santana & had the guitar shop band. They did a 1 off weekend & merged with the Rod Stewart tour @ the Gorge in Washington. Santana opened with 2 hours of bongo mania. Yawn. Then Jeff came out. Middle aged ladies were literally running out of the seating area with their hands over their ears. Jeff did an instrumental "People Get Ready" that day. The thing is, he was supposed to come out with Rod & do it. Turns out Jeff just said f it & left after he was done playing, leaving Rod holding the bag. Foolishly, Rod did "People" too. It was sad. Have seen other really amazing Jeff shows over the years. He's been one of the cornerstones for me. I'm getting excited for Friday. Have to work til Thursday & fly out early Friday morning. Do a little poolside during the day & off to the show. By total fluke I got a ticket in the front row. I've sat in 3rd row for Jeff before. I'm bringing the earplugs, just in case he hits that magic tone on the strat that hurts me. Will be worth it though.grinning smiley

Date: October 13, 2013 13:30

i sadly have never seen beck live in person. its on my wish list though

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 13, 2013 13:47

crholmstrom
keefriffhard4life
crholmstrom

You know Jeff has often said of the time when he jammed with Hendrix in NYC "where were the bootleggers when you needed them". Can you imagine? I'd put Jimi & Jeff together at the top of the mountain for guitarists. So sad we didn't get to hear what Jimi would've become. The first time I saw Beck was in 1976 when I was 15. He opened for Aerosmith in the Kingdome (Seattle), which was a horrible concrete monstrosity with beyond terrible sound. Jeff was playing with Jan Hammer. He walks out & says "this place sucks! welcome to the Kingdome echo chamber". He then proceeded to tear it down. Came out for an encore & did "Train Kept a Rollin'". Aerosmith should've just gave up at that point. They did "Train" & it just paled in comparison. That was my 3rd concert & it forever changed my musical sensibilities. Another memorable one was when he toured with Santana & had the guitar shop band. They did a 1 off weekend & merged with the Rod Stewart tour @ the Gorge in Washington. Santana opened with 2 hours of bongo mania. Yawn. Then Jeff came out. Middle aged ladies were literally running out of the seating area with their hands over their ears. Jeff did an instrumental "People Get Ready" that day. The thing is, he was supposed to come out with Rod & do it. Turns out Jeff just said f it & left after he was done playing, leaving Rod holding the bag. Foolishly, Rod did "People" too. It was sad. Have seen other really amazing Jeff shows over the years. He's been one of the cornerstones for me. I'm getting excited for Friday. Have to work til Thursday & fly out early Friday morning. Do a little poolside during the day & off to the show. By total fluke I got a ticket in the front row. I've sat in 3rd row for Jeff before. I'm bringing the earplugs, just in case he hits that magic tone on the strat that hurts me. Will be worth it though.grinning smiley

Steve Hunter (Lou Reed R&R & Live) is the lead guitarit on Train Kept on Rolling.

Date: October 13, 2013 13:50

Chris Fountain
Steve Hunter (Lou Reed R&R & Live) is the lead guitarit on Train Kept on Rolling.
The "Get Your Wings" version? I was talking about Aerosmith on the "Rocks" tour.

Date: October 13, 2013 13:58

i'll never forget in an interview with Jim Steinman around the time Celine Dion had a huge hit with his song "it's all coming back to me now" Steinman got asked to describe the bat out of hell albums. Steinman said

"They are the greatest albums ever created about teenage lust set to 10 minute Wagnerian rock operas sung by a 300 pound guy from texas."

the person conducting the interview said something like "Aren't they the only albums with a 300 pound guy from texas singing 10 minute teenage rock operas?"

Steinman replied "Thats what makes them the best."

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: October 13, 2013 15:13

Rockman

But what type of bread? Rye? White? Potato?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 13, 2013 16:38

MILKYWAY
Rockman

But what type of bread? Rye? White? Potato?

So it's silly season on this one, not surprising. I will always remember my mother's surprise and dismay when I yelled to my sister, "I hate meat loaf!", meaning, of course, the singer. My poor Mom answered, "But, I thought you loved my meatloaf..." My sis and I still laugh about that.

I never really hated him, the Bat out of Hell songs are good, I guess. I'm not real familiar with the rest of his catalogue, I've always thought of Meat Loaf as a few hits wonder guy. But, I guess there is more there, than...ahem, meets the eye.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1005
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home