Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T Status Quo supported by Wilko Johnson at Manchester & Glasgow, April 2014.
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: April 8, 2014 01:17

Hello,

You will never see another support act shown so much love and goodwill: it really was smiles and cheering all around during Wilko's 45 minute set. It was as much of a blast as ever it was!

And then after a 35 minute break four more slightly senior geezers took to the stage: they were loud and sounding great. What Francis Rossi doesn't know about working an audience isn't worth knowing...in the few pauses between songs he would take the rise out of the band's age, their audience's age and pretty much anything else! That said they fairly cracked on with things and it is great to see them in each other's faces and getting reactions. Certainly they seemed to be having a ball and as you might guess, so was everyone in the standing section downstairs at The Apollo.

As you can see from the setlist below, this isn't the sing-a-long-a-Quo familiar to most of us from recent years, thank Goodness. I really only knew a few of the numbers but that did not matter in the slightest as they were played with a real effort and verve. As was the case when I saw the same guys a year ago, I was mightily impressed by how hard they worked, not least Richard Parfitt. How he hasn't got terminal RSI is a mystery, hah-hah!

In short, if you're going to see these chaps in this guise then you are in for a good night. That's guaranteed!

From Setlist Wiki...

Junior's Wailing
(Steamhammer cover)

Backwater

Take Me

Is There a Better Way

In My Chair

Blue Eyed Lady

Little Lady

Most of the Time

Rain

(April) Spring, Summer and Wednesdays

Railroad

Oh Baby

Forty-Five Hundred Times / Gotta Go Home

Big Fat Mama

Down Down

Roadhouse Blues

(The Doors cover)

Encore:

Caroline

Bye Bye Johnny
(Chuck Berry cover)

And the inevitable shonky vid...'Down Down' in stunning, out-of-focus 1080HD, hah-hah!

[www.youtube.com]

Cheers,

Simon.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-10 14:06 by SimonN.

Re: O/T Status Quo supported by Wilko Johnson at the Manchester Apollo, Sunday 6th April 2014.
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 8, 2014 01:34

Great stuff Simon.

Must have been a memorable night. smileys with beer

Re: O/T Status Quo supported by Wilko Johnson at the Manchester Apollo, Sunday 6th April 2014.
Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: April 8, 2014 12:07

Really whetting my appetite for Wilko (OK, and the Quo) tomorrow night. Never expected to see Wilko back in Glasgow after the farewell tour. Haven't seen Quo live for (ahem) forty years. Both Wilko and Quo are veterans of the sadly missed dump that was the Glasgow Apollo; I suspect that much of the audience will be, too! Should be a good night. Have booked the next day off work in case it's a really good night.

Date: April 8, 2014 12:45

Thanks for the review Simon, I went to the show at Hammersmith about 10 days ago and it was a lot of fun. Several tracks from the Piledriver album made it especially good for me. (The Wychwood Brewery are now producing a 'Piledriver Beer'! Check it out here - www.wychwood.co.uk ) Seeing Wilko as support was an unexpected bonus which hadn't been announced that long before the gig.

Posted by: MaddOli ()
Date: April 8, 2014 14:49

Ah man. Went to all 3 Hammersmith gigs, and don't regret a single penny spent.

They rocked!

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: April 8, 2014 14:56

Agree with all that Quo are a class live act. Quite different to the records I've heard, (which is not that many). Much as it may surprise some people they are very good musicians.

Date: April 8, 2014 14:58

Very good musicians indeed!

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: April 8, 2014 15:02

Went last year to Wembley Arena (last night of the tour). It was the first time I had seen them since 1979. Blew me away so I went back for more (3rd night at Hammersmith). Basically the same set as last year which was not a problem but they were brilliant again.

Interesting article here - [www.theguardian.com]

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: April 8, 2014 18:02

I was at the Saturday night show at Manchester Apollo. Amazing show.. Just shows that is still possible to do it at the Stones age.
Unfortunately I didn't get Wilko as support act but the execrable Toseland. A better reason for heralding the death of Rock music I have not yet witnessed.

Date: April 10, 2014 13:44

Wilko and his band were on fantastic form last night in Glasgow. An unexpected highlight was when his guitar stopped working for five minutes - I think it was during "If You Want Me, You've Got Me" - which led seamlessly to inspired bass improvising on the part of Norman while Wilko and a tech fiddled with guitars, curly leads and amp; truly a master class!

It was a great audience and I know I'm in the minority, but I thought Wilko and the guys blew Quo away.

One photo of Wilko on fire last night.

Re: O/T Status Quo supported by Wilko Johnson at Manchester & Glasgow, April 2014.
Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: April 10, 2014 15:09

"It was a great audience and I know I'm in the minority, but I thought Wilko and the guys blew Quo away."

Was at the Glasgow gig too and felt that WILKO did indeed do a great set which Quo didn't seem to match.

Re: O/T Status Quo supported by Wilko Johnson at Manchester & Glasgow, April 2014.
Date: April 10, 2014 15:17

GuessWho
"It was a great audience and I know I'm in the minority, but I thought Wilko and the guys blew Quo away."

Was at the Glasgow gig too and felt that WILKO did indeed do a great set which Quo didn't seem to match.

Hey! Glad I'm not the only one.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 10, 2014 15:30

Wilco looks great : he doesn't have that emaciated figure that is associated with pancreatic cancer.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: April 10, 2014 16:20

Glad you enjoyed it Simon.

Great review as always.thumbs upsmileys with beer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1932
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home