Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Has there ever been a reason stated why Coming Down Again has never been played live?
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 28, 2014 19:50

Just seems so odd that its like the only one (if not THE only one). I mean, he plays slow songs during his mini set and this one is probably just as unknown as his post Tattoo You slow songs. If he pulls out T&A at times (which I love but seems as random as Coming Down Again), I don't see why he's never played this Goat's Head Soup classic.

Has it been said?

Re: Has there ever been a reason stated why Coming Down Again has never been played live?
Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: March 28, 2014 19:56

YES! Keith has said the song is far too close to his heart/life to share with an audience. ( Sorry, I have no link ).

CE

Re: Has there ever been a reason stated why Coming Down Again has never been played live?
Posted by: shattered ()
Date: March 28, 2014 19:58

I think we are ready for Rock and a Hard Place.

Date: March 28, 2014 20:11

Cocaine Eyes
YES! Keith has said the song is far too close to his heart/life to share with an audience. ( Sorry, I have no link ).

Interesting. I guess thats fair. I guess I'd feel maybe Slipping Away or You Got The Silver are close to his heart too, but I guess Coming Down Again is more personal. Thats a fair reason if true.

Date: March 28, 2014 20:55

But 'Coming Down Again' is all about his drug troubles and the "where are all my friends" is significant. And also about "slipped my tongue into someone else's pie" is significant. Above all, the tune is really about him and him alone. There's no way (in my opinion) one could interpret the song about someone else .

CE smoking smiley

Examples:
These could be about anyone:
-"Miss You"
- "Slipping Away" is really about life in general
- "Happy" could apply to anyone
- "She's So Cold" could be about anyone

On and on..........

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: March 28, 2014 21:54

Cocaine Eyes
But 'Coming Down Again' is all about his drug troubles and the "where are all my friends" is significant. And also about "slipped my tongue into someone else's pie" is significant. Above all, the tune is really about him and him alone. There's no way (in my opinion) one could interpret the song about someone else .

CE smoking smiley

Examples:
-"Miss You"

On and on..........

Happy and Before They Make Me Run are also personal Keith songs as well.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: March 29, 2014 00:52

Cocaine Eyes

CE

But not too close to his heart to put on a record that millions of people would listen to? Not sure about this. Maybe.

I always thought it was because Mick's backup vocals are KEY to that song ... and given the fact they no longer sing together ...

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 29, 2014 01:15

Cocaine Eyes

CE

Sorry CE dear, but are you sure you're not misremembering?
Until further notice, that sounds like a statement from someone other than Keith.
RollingFreak, why not ask him on the "Ask Keith" function on his site?

Date: March 29, 2014 02:01

big4
Cocaine Eyes

CE smoking smiley

Examples:
-"Miss You"

On and on..........

Happy and Before They Make Me Run are also personal Keith songs as well.

Indeed they are, especially "Before They Make Me Run".But these songs don't address the notion of feeling loneliness in extreme times of chaos.

Date: March 29, 2014 02:05

LongBeachArena72
Cocaine Eyes

CE

But not too close to his heart to put on a record that millions of people would listen to? Not sure about this. Maybe.

I always thought it was because Mick's backup vocals are KEY to that song ... and given the fact they no longer sing together ...

That's Keith's manner of expression - song writing from his soul. About putting the tune on a record - all the more reason/manner of expression.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: March 29, 2014 02:08

bein' hungry, it ain't no crime

Date: March 29, 2014 02:10

with sssoul
Cocaine Eyes

CE

Sorry CE dear, but are you sure you're not misremembering?
Until further notice, that sounds like a statement from someone other than Keith.

Well dear, Keith told me himself that was his reason for never singing it in concert. Maybe you should ask him and see what he says now. And I do agree with you, with age my memory is fading........

smoking smiley

Date: March 29, 2014 02:27

with sssoul
Thought about it but just figured there was no shot he'd ever answer it. Guess there's no harm in trying though.

Just seems so strange when he's playing something as obscure as Learning The Game its like he's actively avoiding this one. If it was a later Keith track, I would understand, but seriously this is from a period people were really into the Stones.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 29, 2014 02:31

but seriously this is from a period people were really into the Stones.

....heck my period has been goin' since about somewhere like 1962

ROCKMAN

Date: March 29, 2014 02:40

Keith explaining to a magazine in 2002:

In 2002, Richards said: "I wonder about the songs I've written: I really like the ones I did when I was on (heroin). I wouldn't have written 'Coming Down Again' without that. I'm this millionaire rock star, but I'm in the gutter with these other sniveling people. It kept me in touch with the street, at the lowest level

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 29, 2014 02:49

Rockman
but seriously this is from a period people were really into the Stones.

....heck my period has been goin' since about somewhere like 1962

Good thing you're not a girl. eye popping smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 29, 2014 04:03

Good thing you're not a girl.....I know but then again someone's gotta be around ta do the HEAVY lifting....heehaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 29, 2014 10:20

RollingFreak
Just seems so strange when he's playing something as obscure as Learning The Game its like he's actively avoiding this one. If it was a later Keith track, I would understand, but seriously this is from a period people were really into the Stones.

But but but Learning the Game fit perfectly at that Austin show,
and it seems like one of those numbers that practically plays itself.
Coming Down Again might not be easy to arrange for the stage, especially now that he's not duetting regularly with Mick.
And back in the day he was only performing rockers on stage. In 1981 he said something about wanting to sing ballads
but feeling it wouldn't be what the public wanted from their image of Keith Richards.
(And I do have a link, if the Longview Farm site is still up!)

And Cocaine Eyes sweetie, if it was a private conversation that's a bit different.
What I meant (and still think) is that it doesn't sound like something Keith would say for public consumption.
That feel he puts across in his music is essential to his performances,
so a statement that boils down to "I choose numbers that don't mean much to me or require that I share much"
doesn't seem very fitting, you know?

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 29, 2014 12:51

Slipped my tongue in someone else's pie
Tasting better ev'ry time
He turned green and tried to make me cry
Being hungry it ain't no crime

I've always thought this was about Keith getting it on with Anita Pallenburg...(and Brian being a bit cheesed off........

Date: March 29, 2014 13:01

EddieByword

I've always thought this was about Keith getting it on with Anita Pallenburg...(and Brian being a bit cheesed off........

I thought so as well. But it could also be an admission of Keith's stealing another man's woman. Hence, another statement of "where are all my friends" and also "being hungry, it ain't no crime" even though society looks down upon those who mess with other people's partners and who do drugs. No? He's admitting he's a "rank outsider" and "there's a demon in me". I think........

Date: March 29, 2014 13:06

Cocaine Eyes
EddieByword

I thought so as well. But it could also be an admission of Keith's stealing another man's woman. Hence, another statement of "where are all my friends" and also "being hungry, it ain't no crime" even though society looks down upon those who mess with other people's partners and who do drugs. No? He's admitting he's a "rank outsider" and "there's a demon in me". I think........

That's what I mean, didn't Keith make a move on Anita and pull her away from Brian after he (Brian ) got violent with Anita?.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-29 13:07 by EddieByword.

Date: March 29, 2014 14:34

EddieByword
Cocaine Eyes
EddieByword

That's what I mean, didn't Keith make a move on Anita and pull her away from Brian after he (Brian ) got violent with Anita?.....

Oh yes, you're absolutely right. But I'm saying that "Coming Down Again" could be admitting that he (Keith) has done wrong things in the eyes of society (the perfect people). Let's face it - all the 'good people' never take another man's woman much less do the perfect people use hard drugs. He's saying right out loud - I ain't Saint Keith.

My opinions......

Date: March 29, 2014 15:33

Cocaine Eyes
EddieByword
Cocaine Eyes
EddieByword

Oh yes, you're absolutely right. But I'm saying that "Coming Down Again" could be admitting that he (Keith) has done wrong things in the eyes of society (the perfect people). Let's face it - all the 'good people' never take another man's woman much less do the perfect people use hard drugs. He's saying right out loud - I ain't Saint Keith.

My opinions......

Ahh, right, got you..........that's right....

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 29, 2014 23:44

Cocaine Eyes
EddieByword
Cocaine Eyes
EddieByword

My opinions......

Or just done wrong things in the eyes of Brian and his circle? I don't think he's worried about "society" here, it's his friends he's lamenting.

(Plus society--and its "petty morals"--never thought he was St. Keith.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-30 00:12 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: March 29, 2014 23:52

Yeah...they ain't never eally come down.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: March 30, 2014 01:51

It would put everyone to SLEEP, that's WHY they don't play it! ( and I like the song....but it would not be a great addition to any set list..IMO).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1642
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home