Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Mick Taylor promises Rolling Stones book
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 11, 2011 13:44

Doxa
stupidguy2
This could be interesting. I usually don't like these kinds of 'tell-alls', but MT seems to be classy. The fact that he mentions Keith's book as the kind of book he does not want to write speaks volumes. And MT had a more collborative musical relationship with Jagger than he did with Keith, so maybe MT's take on Mick will be more balanced.

But the problem is that if Taylor reveals his account of his colloboration with Mick - making certain songs - and "tells it all" that might not sound very nice as far as as far as the credition policy goes... Would not probably do Jagger's reputation any good... I guess the problem with any person near to Jagger has diffuculties in recollection to not make Jagger "look bad" since Jagger's behavior - as far as I can see - is probably quite ruthless, especially when it is the question of the (music) business deals... I can also understand why Jagger being not being so eager in making autobiographies, and tell the "inner point of view" on things... (If I were Jagger I wouldn't tell either...) I recall Jagger having that idea of writing a script for a movie about the music business of the sixties. I guess that might be the closest we can hear from Jagger in reflecting his own experiences...

I think teh problem with Jagger is that he is not just a musician or a performer, an artist but a ruthless business man as well, and the latter part is very constituve part of his identity, but is very odds with his public role as a performer. Yeah, we all know he is a clever business man, and all that - and that is a part of his attraction - but if he would really "reveal" the business side of his job - how to make deals, how to manipulate things and people, to use people, to be ruthless, and opportunistic, and all that - I don't think that would do much good for him - who knows the importance of the image. Better people just to have a hazy idea of his "cleverness" in business but not any concrete knowledge of that...

- Doxa

When Jagger asked Perks for certain details he had forgotten when writing his own story, Bill just said: "Sort it out yourself"

When Jagger asked Bill to wipe certain details when he was writing "Stone Alone",
Bill said to Jagger: "Piss off!"

So I doubt Jagger's impact will be that big.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: March 11, 2011 14:20

It's safe to say MT would have some bitterness and regrets; he has been quoted as saying that he hears hits on the radio that have made millions for the Stones, but for which, he, the composer, had received nothing.

For the most part, Bill tends to be relatively generous to the Stones in his writings, but from all accounts, his life has been extremely rich and rewarding since leaving the band. I tend to believe him when he says he has no regrets, and so he can afford to be generous.

MT has not been so fortunate, and this would be bound to colour his depiction of his time in the band. Maybe Mick and Keith should pay him not to write a book, just as Keith has almost certainly bought Anita's silence.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 11, 2011 15:15

I'd buy it but I have my doubts that he'd ever finish it. If his recent penchant for cancelling US tours is any indication, it's fair to say that he has trouble following through on his plans.

Posted by: phelge ()
Date: March 11, 2011 15:29

Dear Mick,
perhaps in your forthcoming book you could enlighten us as to why, in those crazy years with The Stones, making some of the best, most exciting music the world has ever heard, you failed to crack a smile more than 3 times a year. Ta.

A fan xx

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 11, 2011 15:39

Well, I like Mick and I would buy his book.

But I'm curious what reason to leave the Stones he found for himself after 25 years . .

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 12, 2011 06:07

stupidguy2
This could be interesting. I usually don't like these kinds of 'tell-alls', but MT seems to be classy. The fact that he mentions Keith's book as the kind of book he does not want to write speaks volumes. And MT had a more collborative musical relationship with Jagger than he did with Keith, so maybe MT's take on Mick will be more balanced.

Are you kidding? How could a book by ANYONE about Mick not be MORE balanced than Keith's? The meagre compliments he throws MJ here and there are just blowing smoke...Mick has either really hurt him to the core, or he's just turned into a mean old vindictive guy.

It will be interesting to see if they pull it together for a tour by next year (I'm running out of hope there would actually be an album). They couldn't even pull it together for the Boogie for Stu live event.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 12, 2011 16:14

CousinC

But I'm curious what reason to leave the Stones he found for himself after 25 years . .

37 years.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 12, 2011 17:05

cool idea to write a book but if we are only gonna get stuff we already know like i left the stones to go in another direction etc etc then whats the point?

Posted by: phd ()
Date: March 12, 2011 19:07

Mick Taylor is the most talented musician Stones with Brian Jones. It is something natural that he tries to get back some royalties he did not get when they were due. But on the other hand, enough book by this times after the severe damage caused by Life.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: March 12, 2011 21:20

.. the dirt is part of it..if he wants to tell it truthfully and honestly. I hope Taylor means he doesn't intend to disparage anybody with stupid meanspirited comments ...
if he'll just write it as well as he can ..lots of good stories can be told without smearing mud..
and make it about the music. He'll get it done.[/quote]

I can only support that. The Stones without sex and drugs is like a soup without salt! I do not know what he will write about if he leaves those things off. Bill has written extensively about these important aspects of the band's acitivities and I did not feel that he was smearing mud. It always depends on the context and the style of writing.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: March 15, 2011 10:22

treaclefingers
How could a book by ANYONE about Mick not be MORE balanced than Keith's? The meagre compliments he throws MJ here and there are just blowing smoke....

I would enjoy Mick Taylor getting more respectfrom Keith for the work he did with the band. He is a gentlemen IMO and would never bash Mick or Keith.

What I would prefer though,instead of writing a book ,is that he could go back with the Stones on stage.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 15, 2011 10:44

The more different angles, the deeper the perspective. So, yeah, if Mick Taylor needs
some encouragement to write, please support any initiative. Come on Mick, tell us how
you experienced those years!

Date: March 15, 2011 11:29

His guitar playing with the Stones is the best book he wrote.I still haven't finished it yet.
I don't care for the rest at all. Do you hear me Mick?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-15 11:33 by Amsterdamned.

Date: March 15, 2011 16:29

Amsterdamned
His guitar playing with the Stones is the best book he wrote.I still haven't finished it yet.

Nicely put,Amsterdamned .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 15, 2011 17:54

SwayStones
"Why I left will be in my book."

Only a couple years ago or so I read two different comments about why he left (I think they were both in MOJO magazine). Nick Kent said he had interviewed Mick Taylor shortly before the release of IT'S ONLY ROCK AND ROLL, and had seen the album cover art. Mick told Kent, "I'll get writing credits on about three of the songs." But Kent said he'd already seen the album cover and Taylor had no credits whatsoever. Taylor expressed anger. and Kent felt that precipitated Taylor's leaving.

An engineer (forget his name) said he himself was annoyed with the Stones, and partly because of that he invited Taylor to work with him on some esoteric, jazzy album. And Taylor said okay, and left the Stones. (The jazzy album flopped.) That engineer felt if he hadn't urged Taylor to leave, Taylor would not have. "But it was his decision. He was a grown man."

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: March 15, 2011 18:00

phd
Mick Taylor is the most talented musician Stones with Brian Jones.

Most talented lead guitar player.

Date: March 15, 2011 18:53

tatters
CousinC

37 years.

Taylor was younger than the rest of the band .
He was from far the best musician in(to) the Stones ,so could you imagine Mick playing Jumping Jack Flash night after night and tour after tour ?

Don't be mistaken, I loved when the Stones played JJF on stage and since it was one of the Stones'song I heard first , I must confess I still enjoyed hearing it live after Taylor quit .

Quitting the band was a personal decision he made .
"It is enough for some people to ride from crest to crest on someone else's fame,I felt it was time to move on,I have no regrets about my decision."

Didn't Brian say "I want to play my own kind of music,my musical tastes have progressed at a tangent to The Rolling Stones and I no longer see eye to eye with them " ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: March 15, 2011 19:00

SwayStones
tatters
CousinC

37 years.

He was from far the best musician in(to) the Stones ,so could you imagine Mick playing Jumping Jack Flash night after night and tour after tour ?

Don't be mistaken, I loved when the Stones played JJF on stage and since it was one of the Stones'song I heard first , I must confess I still enjoyed hearing it live after Taylor quit .

"It is enough for some people to ride from crest to crest on someone else's fame,I felt it was time to move on,I have no regrets about my decision."

Didn't Brian say "I want to play my own kind of music,my musical tastes have progressed at a tangent to The Rolling Stones and I no longer see eye to eye with them " ?

Calling Taylor the best "musician" is a bit far fetched. He's a great guitar player but overall musician?

Date: March 15, 2011 19:21

What means an "overall musician " ?

Overrated musician ?

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: March 15, 2011 19:25

stones78 means that Mick Taylor's musical abilities are limited to guitar.

Date: March 15, 2011 19:30

stones78
SwayStones
tatters
CousinC

37 years.

Calling Taylor the best "musician" is a bit far fetched. He's a great guitar player but overall musician?

That's John mc Laughlin.smoking smiley

Date: March 15, 2011 19:30

gwen

Yes, kind of what I meant, at least in the Stones. What he did was play (fantastic) guitar solos, and supposedly helped Jagger finish a couple of songs. Meanwhile Keith wrote most of the music, came up with arrangements, sang great backing & lead vocals and led the band on stage. I'd say Keith was an overall much more accomplished musician.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: March 15, 2011 19:34

gwen

which they are not of course , also keyboard congas synth bass etc as is keith , to say any of them are limited to the guitar is nonsense.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 15, 2011 21:29

SwayStones
[Mick Taylor ]"I have no regrets about my decision."

From a Bill Wyman MUSICIAN MAGAZINE interview:

MUSICIAN: "Do you think he [Mick Taylor] regrets having left the band?"

WYMAN: "Oh yeah, he wanted to rejoin a year later. He kept ringing up and asking if we wanted another guitarist to tour."

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 15, 2011 21:31

stones78
phd

No, all-round musician. He played bass, percussion and keyboards, and also was involved in quite a few arrangements. The idea that just because Taylor was a great soloist he was/is "only" a lead guitar player is rubbish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-15 21:33 by 71Tele.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 15, 2011 21:41

71Tele
No, all-round musician.

Does the name Brian Jones ring a bell?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: March 15, 2011 21:48

I must say I'd very much prefer Taylor to record another solo album of new songs than write a book. Sure enough, stories are a nice thing to tell, but by making them into songs, he could add his guitar talents as well.

Date: March 15, 2011 21:50

71Tele
stones78
phd

No, all-round musician. He played bass, percussion and keyboards, and also was involved in quite a few arrangements. The idea that just because Taylor was a great soloist he was/is "only" a lead guitar player is rubbish.

Keyboards? On which song?
Percussion? You mean the congas on DLS?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-15 21:51 by stones78.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 15, 2011 22:35

JumpingKentFlash
71Tele
No, all-round musician.

Does the name Brian Jones ring a bell?
Yes,but Taylor was still more talented than Jones.

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: March 15, 2011 23:09

Title5Take1
From a Bill Wyman MUSICIAN MAGAZINE interview:

MUSICIAN: "Do you think he [Mick Taylor] regrets having left the band?"

WYMAN: "Oh yeah, he wanted to rejoin a year later. He kept ringing up and asking if we wanted another guitarist to tour."

Wyman does not really know what Taylor was doing or thinking. This comment should be filed under "Nonsense", like a couple of other remarks he's made about Taylor over the years.

Interestingly, in the year following his departure, Jagger invited Taylor to go out for dinner several times and asked him to reconsider his decision. It became clear that Jagger regarded Ronnie's position as 'temporary', and was hoping to get Taylor back in the fold.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1490
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home