Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: BTO and the Guess Who
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 12, 2011 02:46

Hi Tatters,

Randy is indeed singing about Burton. I saw them in concert together a couple years ago and Randy said it was about him. One of those concerts where I wasn't sure how many songs I would know and I literally knew every one of them.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 12, 2011 03:37

DGA35
Hi Tatters,

Randy is indeed singing about Burton. I saw them in concert together a couple years ago and Randy said it was about him. One of those concerts where I wasn't sure how many songs I would know and I literally knew every one of them.

Did they perform it together? Randy singing it with Burton sitting right there next to him? Must have been pretty weird considering how nasty some of the lyrics are. "The music's gone now. You lost it somehow".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-12 05:05 by tatters.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 12, 2011 05:01

="

?

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 12, 2011 22:04

BluzDude
="

?
That's a great song.

Date: March 13, 2011 02:02

Hi Tatters,

At that point of the concert, Burton left the stage and Randy performed some songs, then vice versa. Lots of Guess Who and BTO songs overall. I think the final song was Share The Land.

Date: March 13, 2011 02:28

BTO was supposed to do a big reunion tour last year, but I think most of the dates were cancelled, or not booked at all, due to the downturn in the economy. Maybe they'll try it again if things pick up a little steam. I think there would be an audience for it.

Date: March 13, 2011 04:53

tatters
BTO was supposed to do a big reunion tour last year, but I think most of the dates were cancelled, or not booked at all, due to the downturn in the economy. Maybe they'll try it again if things pick up a little steam. I think there would be an audience for it.

I did see them a few months ago (touring as Bachman & Turner) and it was an enjoyable show. First time I've ever seen 2 bass players on stage at the same time.

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: March 13, 2011 05:27

More Hot Rocks
The Guess Who = Great, great music.

'No Time Left For You' my fav song by the Guess Who

Mick's rock, I'm roll.

Date: March 14, 2011 23:16

Hey Bluzdude, the mighty Spinal Tap have two bass guitarists on Big Bottom!

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: March 14, 2011 23:23

two? i thought it was three.
lots of bass players for this performance:

Date: March 15, 2011 07:50

I recently played (if you can call it that) for Christopher Guest.

Posted by: R ()
Date: March 15, 2011 15:09

The Sicilian
R
The Sicilian
Saw the reunited Guess Who with Joe Cocker opening a couple years ago in Buffalo. One of the best shows in a while.

That tour was more like TEN years ago but you're right, it was a dandy. That version of the band last played at Sarstock in '03. Shortly thereafter one of the secondary members managed to secure the rights to the name The Guess Who and held up Bachman and Cummings for more $$$. Bachman-Cummings have performed and recorded as a duo ever since.

I know, I know. Where do the years go?

Has it been that long already? I'll say this Joe Cocker was belting out the songs without missing a beat. Burton Cummings sounded great.

Damn if the years don't seem to fly by! A friend gave me a recent Bachman-Cummings album of them performing '60s rock and pop classics. It was a self-produced project apparently available only in Canada. About half of it is godawful with Cummings singing badly or out of his range on several tracks

Date: March 17, 2011 15:03

What was it that Philip Seymour Hoffman, playing Lester Bangs, says in Almost Famous? Wasn't it something like, "Jim Morrison? A drunken buffoon pretending to be a poet? Give me the Guess Who, who have the courage to BE drunken buffoons, and THAT makes them poetic".

Was that what he said? Doesn't make much sense does it? Oh, well. I like it anyway.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: March 19, 2011 16:52

I like some songs from BTO....than came the band ""Iron Horse""With that randy guy.
they recorded this single ''Loui..Loui"" great tune...and not because its my name!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-19 17:00 by rooster.

Posted by: hwkn ()
Date: March 19, 2011 16:59

I saw BTO at a local festival back in the mid 90's[it was free].

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: March 19, 2011 17:01

did you?
so how was it???

Posted by: Dman51 ()
Date: April 28, 2014 21:38

Posted in another thread about Burton Cummings today and stumbled upon this thread about the Guess Who. Stones are my number 1 but being from a younger generation (21 yrs. old) I don't find the same recognition of groups of far less talent. Obviously not on the elite level of Stones but I think R&R HOF worthy considering the acts they've let in recently. I saw Burton Cummings this past winter and he was phenomenal. He has a ton of great hits from the Guess Who days and his solo. His voice didn't have the same rasp but man can he sing. Listening to his songs he could rock to "American Woman" and then switch to jazz with "Undun" really worth a listen to those who may have overlooked.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: April 28, 2014 21:43

Man is this creepy. Been listening to: The Guess Who-Running Back Through Canada and No Time (1992) Ringo Starr, Burton Cummings, Joe Walsh and Todd Rundgren at Montreux.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: April 29, 2014 01:39

The Sicilian
Saw the reunited Guess Who with Joe Cocker opening a couple years ago in Buffalo. One of the best shows in a while.

Sadly, it was more than a couple of years ago (ten maybe?). I saw the tour too and it was fabulous. Most of the original Guess Who playing their own hits and BTO stuff. Unfortunately they got to fighting a year or so later when the bass player somehow secured therights to the GUESS WHO name resulting in multiple versions of the band running around. Like the damned Beach Boys.

Date: April 29, 2014 02:02

rbk
The Sicilian

Sadly, it was more than a couple of years ago (ten maybe?). I saw the tour too and it was fabulous. Most of the original Guess Who playing their own hits and BTO stuff. Unfortunately they got to fighting a year or so later when the bass player somehow secured therights to the GUESS WHO name resulting in multiple versions of the band running around. Like the damned Beach Boys.

Agree. I saw the show at the Greek Theater in L.A. My, how time flys.

Posted by: ozziestone ()
Date: April 29, 2014 13:04

come on
haven't heard of it (taking care of business)

Seriously? That song-taking care of business-gets flogged on radio nearly as much as Creedence or Stairway to Heaven down here

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: April 29, 2014 14:36

Oh jeez. I didn't realize this thread was so old. I gave the same reply yesterday as I did three years ago.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 29, 2014 20:08

I saw BTO perform at a dump little bar on Santa Monica Blvd in LA around 1986 or so. Amazingly, there must have been only 20 people in the club.Randy played really well and I was delighted to see him so close and personal.

Unfortunately after the show the BTO guys were really pissed off and almost getting violent with the club manager trying to get paid for the show. I was shocked and embarrased to witness the confrontation. It was a dismal period for 70's rockers. peace

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 30, 2014 01:54

rbk
Oh jeez. I didn't realize this thread was so old. I gave the same reply yesterday as I did three years ago.

At least you're consistent. cool smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1918
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home