Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: BTO and the Guess Who
Posted by: rlngstns ()
Date: March 9, 2011 21:21

Randy Bachman says he's given up hope on Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

By Nick Patch
(Canadian Press) -- TORONTO -- Randy Bachman and Fred Turner are on the verge of another lifetime achievement award, but Bachman says he's lost hope that his bands will ever be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.
Bachman-Turner Overdrive and the Guess Who -- both of which included Bachman as a principal songwriter -- have not been ushered into the Hall. The 2011 class -- which includes Neil Diamond, Alice Cooper and Tom Waits -- will be officially inducted on Monday.
But Bachman says he's done waiting to be recognized.
"I don't think it'll ever happen where we get honoured by the U.S., the real Rock and Roll Hall of Fame," he said in an interview alongside Turner in Toronto on Wednesday.
"They bypassed the Guess Who, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Rush, they just don't seem to give that much thought about Canadian bands who have really sold a lot of records and made some great music.
"There's been much lesser bands put in there, and guys who aren't rockers who I shouldn't name, but ... he's more of a folk artist, and he's a poet, you know what I mean? It's in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame."
"There's been many movements since 2000, when I was in the Guess Who and we got back together. ... The movements just go unnoticed by these guys, so you get used to it.
"It ain't gonna happen. I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it."
However, Bachman and Turner are ecstatic about their latest honour -- an induction into the Canadian Music & Broadcast Industry Hall of Fame.
The Winnipeg blue-collar rockers will be feted alongside entertainment lawyer and television producer Stephen Stohn and broadcast pioneer Bill Evanov at a ceremony scheduled for Thursday during Canadian Music Week in Toronto.
Bachman is used to such recognition. He's already been ushered into the Juno Hall of Fame and the Canadian Music Hall of Fame, but this will be the first time Turner will receive this sort of career-spanning accolade.
"Randy's had many, so he'll guide me through it," said Turner, adding he once turned down such an honour from the Juno Awards because it "wasn't the right time and the right place."
Bachman, meanwhile, says he never gets tired of these awards.
"It's nice to get any awards whether it's lifetime achievement or the Keith Richards award for being alive one more year," he jokes.
Meanwhile, the pair's latest reunion will keep rolling along.
They recorded a concert for PBS and plan on issuing it in the form of a 3D concert DVD in the fall. And they chat with obvious excitement about their next record.
"We thought it'd be more bluesy, more jazzy-bluesy," said Bachman, who like his partner, looks noticeably slimmed down.
"(We said) let's make it more simple. Let's just be me, you and a drummer. Like a three-piece, real raw thing. Like the Black Keys kind of thing."
But they're not done supporting last fall's self-titled comeback disc.
Bachman says that with CD sales remaining anemic industry- wide, the emphasis now more than ever is on booking plenty of gigs to support the new material.
"It's not the kind of days when 'Not Fragile' came out and we sold 3 million copies in the first week and then 6 million copies in the next couple months -- that doesn't happen. We sell 300 copies, you're pretty happy, because there's no stores anymore for CDs.
"So it's a whole evolution. Change is inevitable, and you can't stop that change. You say, 'Wait, stop,' and it just drives right over you."
But something has changed within the band, Bachman and Turner say. They're enjoying themselves more than they used to, and getting along better too.
"It's not competitive now," Turner said. "It's more, go out and enjoy the fruits and play with the only pressure being the travel and the rigours of the road rather than the competing and trying to climb up the ladder."
Added Bachman: "Basically, we're kind of alike in our likes and in our attitude. We both get up early in the morning, we work out, we still write and play, and we still have great respect for our family and our kids and stuff like that. Neither of us was what you would call a party animal even in our rock 'n' roll No. 1 days.
"We finished a gig and went back to our room, phoned our wives, said goodnight to them and went to sleep and got up and did the same thing again the next day."

Re: OT: BTO and the Guess Who
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 9, 2011 21:26

ask neil young how important randy was to the development of rock'n'roll

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 9, 2011 22:13

The Guess Who = Great, great music.

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: March 9, 2011 22:34

the guess who were a great band. it's a shame their most popular song is "american woman" because it's a lousy song.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 9, 2011 23:59

ineedadrink
the guess who were a great band. it's a shame their most popular song is "american woman" because it's a lousy song.

It is a lousy song, I agree.

But only lousy if performed by Lenny Kravitz.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 10, 2011 04:17

Let the music do the talking:

Funny, I've been listening to these songs of late.

They made great records. LET THEM IN!!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 10, 2011 04:31

Hey loog, you got any 'sour suite'?

Date: March 10, 2011 04:36

Posted by: MissNBrian ()
Date: March 10, 2011 04:46

DAYUMMMMMM!!! All these OLD Guess Who clips!! WOW!!

and I agree: LET THEM IN!!!

"Doctor please, some more men please,
To Cotchford Farm, out by the pool...

What a drag it is they couldn't revive him"

Brian Jones 2/28/42 - 7/2/69

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 10, 2011 06:22

treaclefingers
ineedadrink

It is a lousy song, I agree.

But only lousy if performed by Lenny Kravitz.

Not the Guess Who's greatest song, but you should hear C.F. Turner sing it!thumbs up

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 10, 2011 06:40

Saw the reunited Guess Who with Joe Cocker opening a couple years ago in Buffalo. One of the best shows in a while.

"American Woman" is a good song, far from lousy. Being American I can relate to the issues of American women.

"Share The Land" is a great song. How about "Clap For The Wolfman"?

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: March 10, 2011 20:32

How about 'When the Band was Singing Shakin' All Over', their last hit, '75-ish, post-Bachman, but an excellent, seemingly forgotten tune.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 10, 2011 20:35

yeah, and Ed Kranepool has given up being elected to the Baseball Hall Of Fame.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: March 10, 2011 20:42

71Tele

I had his baseball card.

Date: March 10, 2011 20:43

just don't think they deserve it...

Posted by: R ()
Date: March 10, 2011 22:51

The Sicilian
Saw the reunited Guess Who with Joe Cocker opening a couple years ago in Buffalo. One of the best shows in a while.

That tour was more like TEN years ago but you're right, it was a dandy. That version of the band last played at Sarstock in '03. Shortly thereafter one of the secondary members managed to secure the rights to the name The Guess Who and held up Bachman and Cummings for more $$$. Bachman-Cummings have performed and recorded as a duo ever since.

I know, I know. Where do the years go?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 10, 2011 23:04

BTO is the clearest example of a one-song-band that I know of, namely 'You ain't seen nothin yet', very true, I haven't seen any more hits from them...
Guess Who is also a very proper name on a band from which songs I would never recognize one...

2 1 2 0

Date: March 10, 2011 23:11

you forgot Takin' Care of Business, come on.

Date: March 10, 2011 23:14

Sorry, haven't heard it...drinking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: March 11, 2011 02:22

Come On
BTO is the clearest example of a one-song-band that I know of, namely 'You ain't seen nothin yet', very true, I haven't seen any more hits from them...
Guess Who is also a very proper name on a band from which songs I would never recognize one...

Guess Who: American Woman, These Eyes, No Time, New Mother Nature, and Bachman & Turner just released a kickin' album last year...check em out!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-11 02:39 by shadooby.

Date: March 11, 2011 06:10

R
The Sicilian

That tour was more like TEN years ago but you're right, it was a dandy. That version of the band last played at Sarstock in '03. Shortly thereafter one of the secondary members managed to secure the rights to the name The Guess Who and held up Bachman and Cummings for more $$$. Bachman-Cummings have performed and recorded as a duo ever since.

I know, I know. Where do the years go?

Has it been that long already? I'll say this Joe Cocker was belting out the songs without missing a beat. Burton Cummings sounded great.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 11, 2011 06:34

Was it Burton Cummings on the DVD chatting up Mick backstage about how great he thought BLACK & BLUE was? It was kinda funny, Mick grinned for the cameras but seemed to be trying to get away.

Edited to add: Do you think when someone says BLACK & BLUE to Jagger that he has any idea what songs are on it? I kinda doubt he does unless he pauses to ponder it (which he obiously does not in this particular instance).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-11 07:04 by Glam Descendant.

Date: March 11, 2011 08:40

shadooby
Come On

Guess Who: American Woman, These Eyes, No Time, New Mother Nature, and Bachman & Turner just released a kickin' album last year...check em out!

Yep, it's high time for that...

Date: March 12, 2011 02:15

tomk
71Tele

I had his baseball card.

Old #7. Great pinch-hitter too.

Date: March 12, 2011 02:18

71Tele
tomk
71Tele

I had his baseball card.

You mean the OTHER #7. They probably ruined his life giving him that number. He couldn't live up to it. Not many could.

Date: March 12, 2011 02:21

tatters
71Tele
tomk
71Tele

I had his baseball card.

You mean the OTHER #7. They probably ruined his life giving him that number. He couldn't live up to it. Not many could.

Yeah, I know. But I grew up a Mets fan in NY in the 60s when they were actually the more popular of the two teams (Mantle not withstanding). As a former first baseman, I tip my hat to Ed. But does he deserve to be in the Hall? No, and neither do the Guess Who or BTO.

Date: March 12, 2011 02:24

71Tele
tatters
71Tele
tomk
71Tele

I had his baseball card.

Yeah, I know. But I grew up a Mets fan in NY in the 60s when they were actually the more popular of the two teams (Mantle not withstanding). As a former first baseman, I tip my hat to Ed. But does he deserve to be in the Hall? No, and neither do the Guess Who or BTO.

Here's a name I bet you haven't heard or thought of in 40 years: Jerry Buchek. I just blew your mind, didn't I. LOL

Date: March 12, 2011 02:27

Some Bachman Turner Overdrive or BTO:

One of my favorites - "Roll On Down The Highway"

Another classic - "Hey You"

And another classic - "Let It Ride"

Date: March 12, 2011 02:30

Who's Randy singing about in "Hey You"? Is he singing about Burton?

Date: March 12, 2011 02:31

tatters
71Tele
tatters
71Tele
tomk
71Tele

I had his baseball card.

Here's a name I bet you haven't heard or thought of in 40 years: Jerry Buchek. I just blew your mind, didn't I. LOL

Yeah, pinch-hit for Bud Harrelson and tied the game which Mets went on to win against Cardinals. One of only 22 in his entire career.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1190
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home