Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ronnie Wood on Columbia/CBS
Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: February 17, 2014 07:06

Ronnie Wood released his first album for Columbia/CBS Records, Gimme Some Neck, in January 1979. It was his third overall solo album after his 1974 debut I've Got My Own Album to Do and the 1975 follow-up Now Look, both released on Atlantic Records (the same label his old group The Faces were signed to for the U.S. market).

However, his fourth solo release, 1981's 1234, was the first album in which his first name is credited as "Ronnie" (rather than as "Ron" ). I wonder if being credited as "Ron Wood" on one album and "Ronnie Wood" on the other may cause some confusion?

Also in 1979, his Rolling Stones predecessor Mick Taylor released his self-titled solo LP, also released in the U.S. through Columbia/CBS Records. Can we talk chart competition on these two?

Mick T. also contributed to Ronnie's 1979 album... so, what's your opinion?

~Ben

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-17 07:11 by BrianJones1969.

Re: Ronnie Wood on Columbia/CBS
Date: February 17, 2014 08:48

BrianJones1969
Ronnie Wood released his first album for Columbia/CBS Records, Gimme Some Neck, in January 1979. It was his third overall solo album after his 1974 debut I've Got My Own Album to Do and the 1975 follow-up Now Look, both released on Atlantic Records (the same label his old group The Faces were signed to for the U.S. market).

However, his fourth solo release, 1981's 1234, was the first album in which his first name is credited as "Ronnie" (rather than as "Ron" ). I wonder if being credited as "Ron Wood" on one album and "Ronnie Wood" on the other may cause some confusion?

Also in 1979, his Rolling Stones predecessor Mick Taylor released his self-titled solo LP, also released in the U.S. through Columbia/CBS Records. Can we talk chart competition on these two?

Mick T. also contributed to Ronnie's 1979 album... so, what's your opinion?

~Ben

It certainly caused confusion on streaming sites like Spotify and others, where he has two profiles. You'll have to type Ron and Ronnie respectively, to find all his albums smiling smiley

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: February 17, 2014 10:44

to add confusion, his real name is Ronald spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-17 10:45 by toomuchforme.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 17, 2014 10:47

He was always Woody with the Faces, which is still how I think of him. (I think this was partly to distinguish him from Ronnie Lane.)

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: February 17, 2014 11:15

To avoid more confusion - MT contributed to RW's 1974 and 1975 solo-albums. Not to 1979's Gimme Some Neck.

N

Posted by: erad ()
Date: February 17, 2014 11:23

Pretty sure Taylor is on the liner notes?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 17, 2014 11:35

For the sake of neatening up my iTunes his collective works are filed under Ronnie Wood. Likewise Ronnie Lane who is filed under his name rather than Ronnie Lane & Slim Chance or Ronnie Lane's Slim Chance.

Date: February 17, 2014 11:35

On Gimme Some Neck? Don't think so...

Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: February 17, 2014 12:02

And isn't there an album entitled Wood Lane - featuring both Ronnies?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 17, 2014 12:28

Deluxtone

It's called Mahoney's Last Stand - the soundtrack to a film hardly anyone has ever seen.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: February 17, 2014 13:03

Great sound track

Date: February 17, 2014 13:13

Deluxtone

A few unfinished IGMOATD-tracks were used as (partly) instrumentals for Mahoney's Last Stand.

Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: February 17, 2014 18:04

Wikipedia claims Mick T. contributed to GSN... but that is Wikipedia for you.

Virtually all of the other Rolling Stones - except for Bill Wyman - lined up to contribute to GSN... this could easily have been another Stones LP right there.

~Ben

Date: February 17, 2014 18:12

It's been a while since I listened to it - what do Mick do on Gimme Some Neck?

Charlie is playing on one song, no?

I think I Got My Own Album To Do is more of a Stones record than Gimme Some Neck.

Charlie is playing more on 1234.

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: February 17, 2014 18:20

CW plays on 8 songs on Gimme Some Neck and on 3 songs on 1234.

No MT on Gimme Some Neck, despite what Wikipedia says.

N

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1746
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home