Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: Legacy: Stones vs. Zeppelin
Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: March 9, 2011 22:52

if you've never heard a groove in a zeppelin song, then you need to get your ears checked smiling smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 9, 2011 22:55

ineedadrink
if you've never heard a groove in a zeppelin song, then you need to get your ears checked smiling smiley

A matter of taste, as so many of these things are...I have had 40 years to appreciate the magic of Zeppelin and my ears are pretty good. I still don't hear it. Again, they are much better than their imitators, and I think Jimmy Page is a great musician and an innovator. The sound that they produced together, and the influence they had on the world, is not to my liking, that's all. I don't like Aerosmith or Guns & Roses either. No problem with my ears. I am just not a fan of the hard rock.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-09 22:56 by 71Tele.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 9, 2011 23:15

I thought this was a comparison of their popularity. Their music rarely intersects. The Stones have rarely played long lead solos, or had that many songs last more than 5 minutes. The Stones have rarely been bombastic. The Stones lyrics are much better, too. I don't know why Jimmy Page didn't write more lyrics. The few that I think he did were quite effective.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: March 9, 2011 23:47

71 Tele-this was my exact point about the beatles.you have millions of people who grew up in the 70s and 80s who would swear zep was the most influencial band ever.
you don't agree and thats fine but its not the foregone conclusion about the beatles that the original poster suggests.

like i said,to come out and say"we all know the beatles are the #1 most influencial band,who"s #2? is a bullshit statement on its face.

its mostly to do with when you grew up,if you were standing in a stadium watching zep in 77 and said",they'll never be as big a deal as the beatles" you might as well have replaced the word "beatles" with buddy holly and the crickets.

and by the way,the stones story is no where near done being written.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 9, 2011 23:55

RL Burnside and Unknown Hinson, among MANY others, rock just as "hard" as Zep or Black Sabbath or AC/DC and ENTER BAND/ARTIST NAME HERE. I think that term is just a way or interpretation of saying it rocks very aggressively , it's real head moving music, it makes one stomp their foot, etc etc etc. For me, Monkey Man, Gimme Shelter, Midnight Rambler, Street Fighting Man, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo, Some Girls, Hang Fire, Tie You Up, Rough Justice and a lot of other Stones songs rock "hard". There are many variations of rocking hard, as Zep did, as AC/DC does, as The Cult do, as Drive-By Truckers do and as The Beatles did and so on.

Hope that makes sense. Can't You Hear Me Knocking rocks just as hard as a lot of other songs do by other artists. I think it lays in the confines of the perception but sometimes it's just SO OBVIOUS that a song rocks hard. Zep did it A LOT ha ha.

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: March 10, 2011 00:03

skipstone
Can't You Hear Me Knocking rocks just as hard as a lot of other songs do by other artists.

But it's still not hardrock, which is a musical genre. Hardrock, heavy metal, punk etc. are really sort of lazy forms of rock.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 10, 2011 00:13

"Lazy forms of rock"? Huh? That makes no sense! CYHMK might not be "hard rock" but it rocks hard. So so what, right? It's not Easy Rock or Country Rock or Lite Rock! Hence the 'hard rock' trip.

Too much thinking and labelling going on! What are the Stones? Rock'n'roll. And so on with a lot of other bands.

Date: March 10, 2011 00:20

skipstone
"Lazy forms of rock"? Huh? That makes no sense! CYHMK might not be "hard rock" but it rocks hard. So so what, right?

No, not really. It has a way different musical approach; generally harder technical musical work and less effects. Putting overdrive and fuzz on the guitar does not make one a good musican. The word "bombastic" has been mentioned, and I think it relates to that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-10 00:23 by lsbz.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: March 10, 2011 00:34

Rev. Robert W.
A few years ago, my brother-in-law and I were getting to know each other, talking music and so on, and he decided to throw a big one at me: "You know, the Stones are great and all, but they don't really compare to Led Zeppelin..."

I thought this was so outrageous that I couldn't really respond--but it has been eating at me for years now and it occasionally flares into an active argument. The happy thing for me is that because I was provoked, and because I have had to think about it, I can say that it has become more and more and more obvious to me that, while all things are relative and matters of taste and that they come in shades of gray and that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, that LED ZEPPELIN DOESN'T EVEN COME CLOSE TO THE STONES. NOT EVEN IN THE SAME WEIGHT CLASS. NOT NOW, NOT EVER. And mind you, I say this as a person who spent two years in boarding school positively drenched in Led Zeppelin during the 1980's. I'm actually a big fan...

So? Top four albums?

Zep IV
Zep II
Zep I
Zep III? Or Physical Graffiti? or Houses?

vs.

Beggar's Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile

Zeppelin IV is one of the all-time greats and deserves its rep and sales, but "Stairway" is, to my mind, a big, bloated, pretentious mess (Amen to you, Rockman). And as awesome and thundering as it is, "When The Levee Breaks" is a poor man's "Gimme Shelter."

Zeppelin II, which I always thought of as a masterpiece, also breaks down in some important ways: "Thank You," even with its lovely acoustic/electric dynamics, has syrupy Plant lyrics and vocals. And with all due respect to Bonham, "Moby Dick" is an indulgence. "The Lemon Song" and "Bring It On Home" and "Whole Lotta Love" grab from Howlin' Wolf, Sonny Boy Williamson and Muddy Waters in some creative and successful ways, but apart from the last, they don't seem quite as special as time goes on. Basically more percussive thunder and guitar fireworks layered on Chess classics that are perfect in their own right. Pretty much illustrates the whole (sometimes exciting) Zep formula: take blues (or folk or world) and amp it to the max. Fun, gloriously stupid and excessive, perfect for huge venues, but never a match for the Stones' smarts and sexiness, their wit and sass. I mean, never. And Plant's sensitive/hippie/mystic lyrics drag the whole LZ enterprise down further....

And as fond as I am of Zeppelin I or III, I just can't see any of these four albums matching up favorably with their Stones counterparts from the celebrated '68-'72 renaissance. There just isn't a weak cut anywhere in the Stones' output during the period, nothing to match, say, "Out On The Tiles" or "Celebration Day" or "Moby Dick." So, at the top of each band's catalogue, and in the LP format that defined Led Zeppelin, the Stones take a huge victory.

But what if we're to isolate the double albums? The holy grail of the ambitious (the "white album," Electric Ladyland, Blonde On Blonde, London Calling) rock'n'roll band?

Physical Graffiti vs. Exile? I love the fragments from the 1970 sessions: "Bron-Yr-Aur," "Black Country Woman," and--of course--"Boogie With Stu." If they had used those tracks, "Poor Tom" and "Hey Hey What Can I Do" to create some kind of double Zep III, it might've been one of the alltime greats. And as much fun as "Houses Of The Holy" is, so much of Graffiti is leaden and dull and overwrought. "Down By The Seaside?" "In The Light?" Ugh. And "In My Time Of Dying" demonstrates the over-amped blues thing in an even more pointlessly excessive way. (While I do have a soft spot for "Nobody's Fault But Mine," it's pretty funny to listen back-to-back with Blind Willie Johnson's--armed only with an acoustic guitar, a voice and 1930's technology, he goes toe-to-toe with Zep's assault. Incredible power, there.)

Exile is Exile: It's Go-Go-Honky Tonk-Juke Joint-Revival Hall heaven--set on the French Riviera and the Sunset Strip and co-starring the most beautiful women, the most reckless sidekicks and the best drugs the world has ever seen. All that tucked into the best--and most appropriate--album cover ever designed. Again, the questions being: who's smarter, sexier, tougher, leaner, meaner? Think about that as you listen to the Gothic Moog playing on "In The Light." Spinal Tap all the way, baby.

What about comebacks? What about surviving? Some Girls vs....what? Zeppelin never did come back, never did respond creatively or successfully to punk and the late 70's. After a decline that I would say began with Houses Of The Holy, (again, think about it: even if you consider Houses to be on par with the first four--dubious--they never made a completely successful new LP after 1973) the creative balance and the sound of the group shifted dramatically with In Through The Out Door. So, as great as "In The Evening" is, and as much fun as "Fool In The Rain" can be, think about "All Of My Love" and thank God that they stopped (for the worst reason imaginable) before they started making 80's records.

Live album? Well, now that Zeppelin has opened its archives, the How The West Was Won album stands up pretty wonderfully. But The Song Remains The Same was, like Zeppelin itself, a more bombastic--and more ponderous ("No Quarter?" for what, 20 minutes?) version of that wicked energy and swing that is distilled so wonderfully onto Ya-Ya's. Zeppelin was tremendous onstage and their setlists and overall swagger actually made them rivals to the Stones' far superior songs. But, honestly, even if one prefers Page's virtuosity to Keith's slash-and-burn, would any but the most ardent Zep fan choose Plant over Jagger as a singer and frontman? I mean, really? Anyone? It doesn't take a whole lotta watching Percy cock his hip and flip his big, blond mane back while wailing on, say, the hugely overrated "Since I've Been Loving You," to decide that Jagger of any period--right up to the Millenium Dome of August, 2007--is in another realm, entirely.

So, for me, the Stones win the late 1960's and the 1970's pretty handily. Very handily, in fact. During the period where both bands were functioning, the Stones delivered more and better, recorded material overall. Meanwhile, Zeppelin, as good as they were in concert, could do no better than match the Stones. And while the Stones in 1982 entered a period of only project-by-project work that lasted to Spring 2010, they managed to come up with at least five first-class songs for each new release through the 80's, 90's and 2000's, songs that any other band at any other time would kill for (some will debate this, I'm happy to take it up another time). The Rolling Stones are (forgive the American-centric analogy) an alltime great, a "five tool" player, they're Willie Mays. And they're back in New York, with the Mets, in 1972. Are they at their peak? No, but they still have plenty of recorded moments--and many, many more live ones--that demonstrate amply why they're the best ever.

Hmmmm...I'm forgetting something...what can it be? Oh yeah, THE STONES HAD PRODUCED AN EPOCHAL, HALL OF FAME BODY OF WORK BEFORE LED ZEPPELIN HAD EVEN FORMED. ZEPPELIN STEPPED INTO A KIND OF ROCK'N'ROLL STARDOM THAT WAS INVENTED BY THE STONES (and Elvis and the Beatles, of course, though their appeal and their imagery was so different--almost outside rock music). British blues? World music? ("Paint It, Black" vs. "Kashmir" may actually sum up the whole argument.) "Heavy" acoustic music? I love Zeppelin's dense Anglo-Celtic folk-blues thing. I love it. But it's the only part of the whole package that belongs entirely to them--and I'm not sure I'm giving Fairport Convention adequate credit when I say that...

It's funny. At the Joint, in Vegas in 1998, I had the amusing experience of watching the Stones from third row center, while surrounded by Tommy Lee and Pam Anderson, Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons and Lars Ulrich from Metallica--as well as Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, Eddie Murphy, Jack Nicholson, Dennis Hopper, Leonardo DiCaprio and a gang of others. It was hilarious to watch the most sought-after people on Planet Earth, the ones that supposedly define power and hipness and cool, absolutely melt and cower before the Rolling Stones. And in the case of the metal guys, it occurred to me that while they all always prattle on about Zeppelin and Sabbath as heavy influences, those references are always based on the foundation of love and reverence for the Stones. In many sub-genres of rock'n'roll, but especially in hard rock/heavy metal, before Pagey and Ozzy, before the Yardbirds even, it all starts with the Stones--always. It's dat attitude, baby...

Zeppelin has eight studio albums and a little over ten years of history. They're similar to the Beatles in that they have a catalogue of very manageable size and that it presents a clear and satisfying story of the band. The Stones have nearly fifty years of studio and live albums, singles, concerts and films. It's a sprawling, messy tale, with ups and downs, blind alleys and hidden jackpots. The vast majority of people, when confronted with this, will buy Hot Rocks and then pay for expensive concert tickets and t-shirts. That's a shame, but it has nothing to do with the relative merits of the bands. If it sometimes seems that the Stones' legacy isn't as visible, that's only because the influence and the legacy is woven through every single aspect of the record and concert businesses--and through the idea of rock'n'roll itself. The Stones are an entertainment juggernaut and a multinational corporation. You know what else? THEY ARE THE BEST GARAGE/BAR BAND ON PLANET EARTH. Period. And that--not beating Grand Funk Raiload's attendance record at some Godforsaken Florida football stadium--is the name of the game in rock'n'roll. That's at the very core.

My sense? Elvis, Chuck Berry, Dylan, the Beatles, and the Stones all swirl around at the very top of the heap--maybe, in a weird way, the Beach Boys, too. All matters of taste aside, those are the artists whose historical importance is crucial and indisputable. And it's a long, looooooong way down to the next tier...

I would like to frame this.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 10, 2011 00:39

ineedadrink
lsbz, is your skin that thin? seriously? you're not very tough, are you...

hey - now that's insulting! but there are classes out there to improve toughness and thickness of skin too. maybe we can enrol him in a overall improvement program.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-10 00:44 by StonesTod.

Date: March 10, 2011 00:42

ineedadrink
71Tele
Let me be precise: I mean the style and sound of Led Zeppelin has not been positive, in my opinion, as in influence. Too many bad Page and Bonham imitators. I think their overall influence on music has been a negative one, in the same way that too many guitarists (in my opinion, of course) picked up the wrong things about Hendrix and ended up being tiresome guitar @#$%&. I think a lot of Zep's legacy is the attitude, and the bombastic image. Unfortunately, that's what appeals to many teenagers. When I hear Aerosmith, Guns & Roses, and many "grunge" bands from the 90s, I hear Zeppelin. And that's not a compliment.
sounds to me like you're paying zeppelin a compliment. as the old saying goes, often imitated but never duplicated.

heneedsadrink makes a good pont.

but, my point again is that while you may not like zep (and i haven't even offered my own opinion on them), it's clear they've inspired many in the music business, and i don't see how that can be anything but goodness.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 10, 2011 00:43

StonesTod
ineedadrink

hey - now that's insulting! but there are classes out there to improve toughness and thickness of skin too. maybe we can enrol him in a overall imrpovement program.

Now it is a great moment to insult anyone as much as possible! BV's is reprtedly in concert for Stu, so no use to push the "Report This Message" button...winking smiley

- Doxa

Date: March 10, 2011 00:45

StonesTod
... it's clear they've inspired many in the music business, and i don't see how that can be anything but goodness.

If a not so good band would inspire many not so good bands in the music business, that would definitely not be a good thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-10 00:48 by lsbz.

Date: March 10, 2011 00:46

Doxa
StonesTod
ineedadrink

hey - now that's insulting! but there are classes out there to improve toughness and thickness of skin too. maybe we can enrol him in a overall imrpovement program.

Now it is a great moment to insult anyone as much as possible! BV's is reprtedly in concert for Stu, so no use to push the "Report This Message" button...winking smiley

- Doxa

excellent. hey doxa - your posts hurt my head.

Date: March 10, 2011 00:48

lsbz
StonesTod
... it's clear they've inspired many in the music business, and i don't see how that can be anything but goodness.

I a not so good band would inspire many not so good bands in the music business, that would definitely not be a good thing.

it would be good for those that like these not so good bands. it's not all about what isbz thinks is good. please consider these others who don't have such fabulous tastes as yours; they're people and music fans too.

Date: March 10, 2011 00:52

StonesTod
it would be good for those that like these not so good bands

And for those that don't like them it would not be so good. But the issue really is whether some band according to some criteria can be better than another band. And of course it can, no matter how much some people seem to deny that.

Date: March 10, 2011 00:59

lsbz
StonesTod
it would be good for those that like these not so good bands

And for those that don't like them it would not be so good. But the issue really is whether some band according to some criteria can be better than another band. And of course it can, no matter how much some people seem to deny that.
i think you should have some respect for those who do like them. they like them as much as you like what you like.

that's issue, is it? ok...and you can help define the criteria?

Date: March 10, 2011 00:59

lsbz
StonesTod

If a not so good band would inspire many not so good bands in the music business, that would definitely not be a good thing.

What does it matter to you if these "not so good" bands exist or not? There are probably thousands of "not so good" bands out there right now that you have NO IDEA about and it's not disrupting your life in any way. As StonesTod says...these bands matter to their own fans. You don't have to worry about it.

Date: March 10, 2011 01:02

Justin
lsbz
StonesTod

What does it matter to you if these "not so good" bands exist or not? There are probably thousands of "not so good" bands out there right now that you have NO IDEA about and it's not disrupting your life in any way. As StonesTod says...these bands matter to their own fans. You don't have to worry about it.

there's an elitism rampant through some of these posts. i got some news fer ya:

there's nothing special about the music you like - you're no better, your tastes are not better and the music you like is no better than the music you don't like.

we all like the stones - but there's nothing empirically better about their music than anyone else's. we just happen to like it.

Date: March 10, 2011 01:05

Justin
lsbz
StonesTod

What does it matter to you if these "not so good" bands exist or not?.

Generally, it would not matter much. But if you can't avoid them while listening to mainstream music distribution channels, it would become a nuisance. That has been going on for the past 30 years. The music industry has become a corrupt mafia.

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: March 10, 2011 01:10

ineedadrink
keith introduced the song in concert by calling it a reggae song. you'd think he'd know what he was talking about...
and yes, john bashed away because he was a rock drummer. what's wrong with that? are you going to criticize a jazz drummer for using a feather touch on every song?

That he's a "rock" drummer doesn't mean he has to pound the drums like mad on EVERY track. Of course we're only talking personal taste here. Some love Bonzo and some don't and it's cool.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 10, 2011 01:27

Just thought I'd add this excerpt from a 2008 DAILY TELEGRAPH profile of Bill Wyman. Bill is sitting in his Sticky Fingers restaurant with his daughter, Matilda:

"She is telling him what she thought about his band the Rhythm Kings' recent performance at the O2 centre, where they supported Led Zeppelin. 'It was great, but you weren't very good, dad," Matilda says reproachfully, slithering around on her banquette, the way mildly bored 9 year olds do when grown ups are doing most of the talking. 'Everybody else was singing except you.'"

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Date: March 10, 2011 01:41

StonesTod
Justin
lsbz
StonesTod

there's an elitism rampant through some of these posts. i got some news fer ya:

there's nothing special about the music you like - you're no better, your tastes are not better and the music you like is no better than the music you don't like.

we all like the stones - but there's nothing empirically better about their music than anyone else's. we just happen to like it.

Indeed. I understand people's passion for their loves but this 2nd grade position of why who's better than who is all moot at the end of the day.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: March 10, 2011 08:35

lsbz
skipstone
"Lazy forms of rock"? Huh? That makes no sense! CYHMK might not be "hard rock" but it rocks hard. So so what, right?

No, not really. It has a way different musical approach; generally harder technical musical work and less effects. Putting overdrive and fuzz on the guitar does not make one a good musican. The word "bombastic" has been mentioned, and I think it relates to that.

I agree. The Stones v Zeppelin comparisons are so misquided in my opinion because the Stones were not really stylisically comparable to Led Zeppelin. The Stones strength was always diversity, especially if one becomes more acquainted with their album output, and it is that which is one of the Stones primary strengths, and why i have enjoyed listening to them so much over the years. Led Zeppelin, also aren't exclusively heavy metal, or hard rock, i know, there are elements of folk and AOR as well, yet it is that bombastic form of heavy rock, which was always primary their main draw. The Stones were never really musically bombastic at any point during their career, and it's true, Zeppelin's overblown approach spawned a thousand immitators, and many of them not very good, or inspiring in relation to the health of the general music scene.

Date: March 10, 2011 08:36

lem motlow
71 Tele-this was my exact point about the beatles.you have millions of people who grew up in the 70s and 80s who would swear zep was the most influencial band ever.
you don't agree and thats fine but its not the foregone conclusion about the beatles that the original poster suggests.

like i said,to come out and say"we all know the beatles are the #1 most influencial band,who"s #2? is a bullshit statement on its face.

its mostly to do with when you grew up,if you were standing in a stadium watching zep in 77 and said",they'll never be as big a deal as the beatles" you might as well have replaced the word "beatles" with buddy holly and the crickets.

and by the way,the stones story is no where near done being written.

I agree that the period one grows up in carries a lot of weight in these things, yes. But looking as objectively as I can over 50 years of pop music I think the overall influence of the Beatles is pretty well established.

Date: March 10, 2011 08:37

Justin
Rev. Robert W.
A few years ago, my brother-in-law and I were getting to know each other, talking music and so on, and he decided to throw a big one at me: "You know, the Stones are great and all, but they don't really compare to Led Zeppelin..."

I thought this was so outrageous that I couldn't really respond--but it has been eating at me for years now and it occasionally flares into an active argument. The happy thing for me is that because I was provoked, and because I have had to think about it, I can say that it has become more and more and more obvious to me that, while all things are relative and matters of taste and that they come in shades of gray and that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, that LED ZEPPELIN DOESN'T EVEN COME CLOSE TO THE STONES. NOT EVEN IN THE SAME WEIGHT CLASS. NOT NOW, NOT EVER. And mind you, I say this as a person who spent two years in boarding school positively drenched in Led Zeppelin during the 1980's. I'm actually a big fan...

So? Top four albums?

Zep IV
Zep II
Zep I
Zep III? Or Physical Graffiti? or Houses?

vs.

Beggar's Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile

Zeppelin IV is one of the all-time greats and deserves its rep and sales, but "Stairway" is, to my mind, a big, bloated, pretentious mess (Amen to you, Rockman). And as awesome and thundering as it is, "When The Levee Breaks" is a poor man's "Gimme Shelter."

Zeppelin II, which I always thought of as a masterpiece, also breaks down in some important ways: "Thank You," even with its lovely acoustic/electric dynamics, has syrupy Plant lyrics and vocals. And with all due respect to Bonham, "Moby Dick" is an indulgence. "The Lemon Song" and "Bring It On Home" and "Whole Lotta Love" grab from Howlin' Wolf, Sonny Boy Williamson and Muddy Waters in some creative and successful ways, but apart from the last, they don't seem quite as special as time goes on. Basically more percussive thunder and guitar fireworks layered on Chess classics that are perfect in their own right. Pretty much illustrates the whole (sometimes exciting) Zep formula: take blues (or folk or world) and amp it to the max. Fun, gloriously stupid and excessive, perfect for huge venues, but never a match for the Stones' smarts and sexiness, their wit and sass. I mean, never. And Plant's sensitive/hippie/mystic lyrics drag the whole LZ enterprise down further....

And as fond as I am of Zeppelin I or III, I just can't see any of these four albums matching up favorably with their Stones counterparts from the celebrated '68-'72 renaissance. There just isn't a weak cut anywhere in the Stones' output during the period, nothing to match, say, "Out On The Tiles" or "Celebration Day" or "Moby Dick." So, at the top of each band's catalogue, and in the LP format that defined Led Zeppelin, the Stones take a huge victory.

But what if we're to isolate the double albums? The holy grail of the ambitious (the "white album," Electric Ladyland, Blonde On Blonde, London Calling) rock'n'roll band?

Physical Graffiti vs. Exile? I love the fragments from the 1970 sessions: "Bron-Yr-Aur," "Black Country Woman," and--of course--"Boogie With Stu." If they had used those tracks, "Poor Tom" and "Hey Hey What Can I Do" to create some kind of double Zep III, it might've been one of the alltime greats. And as much fun as "Houses Of The Holy" is, so much of Graffiti is leaden and dull and overwrought. "Down By The Seaside?" "In The Light?" Ugh. And "In My Time Of Dying" demonstrates the over-amped blues thing in an even more pointlessly excessive way. (While I do have a soft spot for "Nobody's Fault But Mine," it's pretty funny to listen back-to-back with Blind Willie Johnson's--armed only with an acoustic guitar, a voice and 1930's technology, he goes toe-to-toe with Zep's assault. Incredible power, there.)

Exile is Exile: It's Go-Go-Honky Tonk-Juke Joint-Revival Hall heaven--set on the French Riviera and the Sunset Strip and co-starring the most beautiful women, the most reckless sidekicks and the best drugs the world has ever seen. All that tucked into the best--and most appropriate--album cover ever designed. Again, the questions being: who's smarter, sexier, tougher, leaner, meaner? Think about that as you listen to the Gothic Moog playing on "In The Light." Spinal Tap all the way, baby.

What about comebacks? What about surviving? Some Girls vs....what? Zeppelin never did come back, never did respond creatively or successfully to punk and the late 70's. After a decline that I would say began with Houses Of The Holy, (again, think about it: even if you consider Houses to be on par with the first four--dubious--they never made a completely successful new LP after 1973) the creative balance and the sound of the group shifted dramatically with In Through The Out Door. So, as great as "In The Evening" is, and as much fun as "Fool In The Rain" can be, think about "All Of My Love" and thank God that they stopped (for the worst reason imaginable) before they started making 80's records.

Live album? Well, now that Zeppelin has opened its archives, the How The West Was Won album stands up pretty wonderfully. But The Song Remains The Same was, like Zeppelin itself, a more bombastic--and more ponderous ("No Quarter?" for what, 20 minutes?) version of that wicked energy and swing that is distilled so wonderfully onto Ya-Ya's. Zeppelin was tremendous onstage and their setlists and overall swagger actually made them rivals to the Stones' far superior songs. But, honestly, even if one prefers Page's virtuosity to Keith's slash-and-burn, would any but the most ardent Zep fan choose Plant over Jagger as a singer and frontman? I mean, really? Anyone? It doesn't take a whole lotta watching Percy cock his hip and flip his big, blond mane back while wailing on, say, the hugely overrated "Since I've Been Loving You," to decide that Jagger of any period--right up to the Millenium Dome of August, 2007--is in another realm, entirely.

So, for me, the Stones win the late 1960's and the 1970's pretty handily. Very handily, in fact. During the period where both bands were functioning, the Stones delivered more and better, recorded material overall. Meanwhile, Zeppelin, as good as they were in concert, could do no better than match the Stones. And while the Stones in 1982 entered a period of only project-by-project work that lasted to Spring 2010, they managed to come up with at least five first-class songs for each new release through the 80's, 90's and 2000's, songs that any other band at any other time would kill for (some will debate this, I'm happy to take it up another time). The Rolling Stones are (forgive the American-centric analogy) an alltime great, a "five tool" player, they're Willie Mays. And they're back in New York, with the Mets, in 1972. Are they at their peak? No, but they still have plenty of recorded moments--and many, many more live ones--that demonstrate amply why they're the best ever.

Hmmmm...I'm forgetting something...what can it be? Oh yeah, THE STONES HAD PRODUCED AN EPOCHAL, HALL OF FAME BODY OF WORK BEFORE LED ZEPPELIN HAD EVEN FORMED. ZEPPELIN STEPPED INTO A KIND OF ROCK'N'ROLL STARDOM THAT WAS INVENTED BY THE STONES (and Elvis and the Beatles, of course, though their appeal and their imagery was so different--almost outside rock music). British blues? World music? ("Paint It, Black" vs. "Kashmir" may actually sum up the whole argument.) "Heavy" acoustic music? I love Zeppelin's dense Anglo-Celtic folk-blues thing. I love it. But it's the only part of the whole package that belongs entirely to them--and I'm not sure I'm giving Fairport Convention adequate credit when I say that...

It's funny. At the Joint, in Vegas in 1998, I had the amusing experience of watching the Stones from third row center, while surrounded by Tommy Lee and Pam Anderson, Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons and Lars Ulrich from Metallica--as well as Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, Eddie Murphy, Jack Nicholson, Dennis Hopper, Leonardo DiCaprio and a gang of others. It was hilarious to watch the most sought-after people on Planet Earth, the ones that supposedly define power and hipness and cool, absolutely melt and cower before the Rolling Stones. And in the case of the metal guys, it occurred to me that while they all always prattle on about Zeppelin and Sabbath as heavy influences, those references are always based on the foundation of love and reverence for the Stones. In many sub-genres of rock'n'roll, but especially in hard rock/heavy metal, before Pagey and Ozzy, before the Yardbirds even, it all starts with the Stones--always. It's dat attitude, baby...

Zeppelin has eight studio albums and a little over ten years of history. They're similar to the Beatles in that they have a catalogue of very manageable size and that it presents a clear and satisfying story of the band. The Stones have nearly fifty years of studio and live albums, singles, concerts and films. It's a sprawling, messy tale, with ups and downs, blind alleys and hidden jackpots. The vast majority of people, when confronted with this, will buy Hot Rocks and then pay for expensive concert tickets and t-shirts. That's a shame, but it has nothing to do with the relative merits of the bands. If it sometimes seems that the Stones' legacy isn't as visible, that's only because the influence and the legacy is woven through every single aspect of the record and concert businesses--and through the idea of rock'n'roll itself. The Stones are an entertainment juggernaut and a multinational corporation. You know what else? THEY ARE THE BEST GARAGE/BAR BAND ON PLANET EARTH. Period. And that--not beating Grand Funk Raiload's attendance record at some Godforsaken Florida football stadium--is the name of the game in rock'n'roll. That's at the very core.

My sense? Elvis, Chuck Berry, Dylan, the Beatles, and the Stones all swirl around at the very top of the heap--maybe, in a weird way, the Beach Boys, too. All matters of taste aside, those are the artists whose historical importance is crucial and indisputable. And it's a long, looooooong way down to the next tier...

I would like to frame this.

It should be required reading for everyone in Western Civilization.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: March 10, 2011 10:32

Judging by some comments here you'd think Zeppelin could hardly hold their instruments let alone play them.The fact is that Led Zepplin is not that far from The Stones in terms of the quality of their output.They just lack The Stones' charisma and sexiness.They took themselves too seriously at times but the work they left behind is truly timeless and awe inspiring.I'd also argue that they were better musicians than the Stones with the exception of Mick T..As great as Charlie and Bill were they just didn't not gel as well as Bonham and John Paul Jones(I hope I don;t get crucified for stating this).I also wouldn't necessarily label Zepp as a hard rock band since they were much more than that, arguably not as diverse as The Stones but just diverse enough to be deemed one of the most creative bands of all time,The Stones were slightly superior in the songwriting department.I can't envision Zeppelin writing anything as great as Sister Morphine or Gimmie Shelter.Overall, The Stones might have had a better chemistry mostly due Mick and Keith who stand a couple of notches above Plant and Page as far as leadership is concerned

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 10, 2011 15:01

StonesTod
why folks insist there's some kinda competition here is beyond my comprehension. it's music, not sports nor politics nor something else where there's some kinda prize for the winner.

of course it's a matter of a competition..my band is much better than yours, and your records suck compared to mine...That's the funny part of it...smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: March 10, 2011 15:15

stones_serb
I'd also argue that they were better musicians than the Stones with the exception of Mick T.

No, I don't think so.

stones_serb
As great as Charlie and Bill were they just didn't not gel as well as Bonham and John Paul Jones

Maybe. But Bonham/Jones were not a very stable rhythm section. Page wasn't the best of rhytm guitarists either. Even in their best tracks, Led Zeppelin makes many small timing mistakes. When you listen to a Zeppelin track, about every ten seconds you have to reconcentrate again because of that. Every band makes timing mistakes in a 3 minute song, but with Zeppelin it often affects the whole track to a severe degree.
Tracks like Rock And Roll and Since I've Been Loving You that would otherwise have been great, I would not even call good because of the rhytmic instability.

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: March 10, 2011 16:12

lsbz, you're such a nitpicker. do you sit there with a metronome while listening to music? "every ten seconds you have to reconcentrate again". why are you concentrating to begin with? just sit back, turn off your mind, relax, and enjoy the damn music.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1497
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home