Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: R.I.P. Sid Ceasar
Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: February 13, 2014 02:38

One of television's all time pioneers and comedic greats.

A great sketch from the 50s, featuring Howard Morris (who played Ernest T. Bass on the Andy Griffith Show).

Re: OT: R.I.P. Sid Ceasar
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 13, 2014 03:18

RIP Sid Ceasar.

Here he is with Imogene Coca and, for a little Charlie Watts Stones connection, Buddy Rich.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 13, 2014 09:25

Say, did he invent the Caeser salad? No, wait!--They named it after him, yeah, that's it....

But, seriously, here's another case where you didn't know whether he was still alive. Could have sworn I heard a news report of his passing some years ago. But that's how it is when you're a well-known entertainer/artist and you haven't worked in years and years.

It's a mad mad mad mad world indeed, and it's every man for himself....

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 13, 2014 09:33

stonehearted
Say, did he invent the Caeser salad? No, wait!--They named it after him, yeah, that's it....

But, seriously, here's another case where you didn't know whether he was still alive. Could have sworn I heard a news report of his passing some years ago. But that's how it is when you're a well-known entertainer/artist and you haven't worked in years and years.

I just watched this two nights ago.
The only maljor cast member left is Mickey Rooney.

OT: RIP Sid Caesar
Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: February 13, 2014 09:03

Re: OT: RIP Sid Caesar
Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: February 13, 2014 09:03

Apologies - just noticed somebody already posted.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: February 13, 2014 15:46

tomk
stonehearted

I just watched this two nights ago.
The only maljor cast member left is Mickey Rooney.

Man, the talent in that movie- from Spencer Tracy to all the comedians. Who would think Mickey Rooney would be the one left standing, more or less.

Sid Caesar was a pioneering, major, huge, great comedian. Stuff he did in the 50's wasn't even tried again until the mid 70's with Saturday Night Live. So many people got their starts on his show as writers and/or performers- Carl Reiner (also wrote and created the Dick Van Dyke Show, based on his experiences with Caesar), Mel Brooks, Neil Simon, Larry Gelbart (MASH), Woody Allen, Howard Morris, just to name some off the top of my head. Reiner is 92 next month and still going strong. Mel Brooks is 87 going on 47 it seems in terms of energy and wit. If you're a comedy fan and haven't checked out Caesar's Your Show of Shows or Caesar's Hour, do yourself a favor and spend a weekend. You will not regret it. The clips already linked in this thread give a great taste of his work, but to keep this rock and roll related, here are two clips from Caesar's spoof of the doo wop groups of the 50's, the Three Haircuts. Absolutely hilarious. I encourage everyone to click the other links off to the side of the clips on You Tube as well.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: February 13, 2014 16:50

awesome guy - i had the pleasure of sitting by him at a series of dinner a number of year ago- he remembered every single bit he'd ever done and loved breaking them down - "comedy algebra" he kept calling it

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1709
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home