Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Bandy World Championship 2014
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 1, 2014 14:14

Taking place in Irkutsk, Siberia this year. Looking forward to the semifinals today between Sweden and Kazakhstan, and Russia and Finland. Sweden did well in the quarterfinals beating Belarus with 33-5.
Russia won against Canada with 22-1. A final between Russia and Sweden will be the most probable scenario.

Re: OT: Bandy World Championship 2014
Date: February 1, 2014 15:18

Russia-Finland 3-1, Sweden-Kazakhstan 4-3. Final between Russia and Sweden tomorrow. As usual. Swedes were a bit lucky in the semifinal though.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 1, 2014 16:06

Well Well Well Stoneage...smiling smiley Bandy seems to be big only in Sweden and Russia...4-3 for Sweden against Kazakstan isn't that impressing, but on the other hand isn't 3-1 against Finland nothing to write home about either...
Let's say 3 - 3 after full time in the final and Sweden wins on overtime....

Date: February 1, 2014 16:17

Sounds plausible. It can go either way...

Date: February 2, 2014 12:41

Congratulations Russia! Gold again. 3-2 to Russia. Sweden missed two penalties! The conditions besteaded the Russians (-22C, bad ice) who aren't as spoiled as the Swedes with indoor arenas.

Date: February 2, 2014 12:56

Do they have internet in Russia? I have never heard a Russian commenting anything on this board. Strange...

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: February 2, 2014 13:12

I just "googled" Bandy

Date: February 2, 2014 13:23

Great, Harm. Now you just need a pair of skates, a stick and some ice to get started...

Date: February 3, 2014 01:59

I'm flabbergasted. No one cares about bandy? What kind of world do we live in?

Date: February 3, 2014 15:07

Stoneage
Congratulations Russia! Gold again. 3-2 to Russia. Sweden missed two penalties! The conditions besteaded the Russians (-22C, bad ice) who aren't as spoiled as the Swedes with indoor arenas.

Do you play bandy indoors in Sweden?

Date: February 3, 2014 15:09

<I'm flabbergasted. No one cares about bandy? What kind of world do we live in?>

Only the swedes, the norwegians and the finns care about marginal winter sports - not very big in Russia either, I reckon smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-03 15:13 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 3, 2014 16:14

Is it an Olympic sport?

Date: February 3, 2014 16:31

Koen
Is it an Olympic sport?

It was, back in the day...

Date: February 3, 2014 18:33

I'm flabbergasted again that someone actually cared! Yes, we have indoor arenas for bandy in Sweden. There are some in Russia as well but not in Siberia. Russia and Sweden dominates the sport but Kazakhstan and Finland have good teams also. I guess bandy has to make it in North America too to qualify as an olympic sport. It really should be - it's a beautiful winter sport.

Date: February 3, 2014 19:03

Norway beat Belarus 23-1, but didn't make the semi finals, of course smiling smiley

In modern times, we only made it there once...

The sport is totally neglected here. I like it, and knew the goalie on our national team back in the 90s.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 3, 2014 20:43

Had to do some googling & do some reading at wikipedia but I must say it looks fun. Don't know if I'd want to watch an outdoor match in person but think I would enjoy watching at least as much as I currently enjoy soccer, field hockey or lacrosse.

Can any of the experts explain why the scores prior to the semifinals are so high while the semis & finals are so close?

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 4, 2014 00:23

I had to google it myself, never heard of it before! I didn't even know Canada had a team! I have no idea where they would even play here.

Date: February 4, 2014 00:53

The trouble is that there are only 4-5 good bandy nations. Then there is a huge gap to the other nations. Hence the results in the quarterfinals. And they have done a very poor job marketing the sport.
To make it an olympic sport more nations have to adapt to the sport. Preferably Canada and USA.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 4, 2014 10:29

Bandy is the most classic wintersport in Sweden just as Speedway is on summer...

Swedish Bandy-Team 1920

Speedway action pic

Date: February 4, 2014 10:45

Love speedway!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 4, 2014 16:08

After yet another wikipedia search, I can now say I'm a fan of Speedway. One gear & no breaks?!?! What's not to love?!?! I think I'm going to need to find a new cable tv sports package where I can start following Bandy & Speedway!

Too cool!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2241
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home