Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT- Clapton - the autobiography
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 28, 2014 15:37

finally got around to reading this, Eric Clapton's autobiography (published in 2008)..

its both frustrating and far-fetched to read about this man. you realize how talented and how hard working he is then you wonder how he did it, as much as he recklessly endangered his career, and how he expected others to put up with his behavior, especially women.

havent finished reading the book. the last third of it, the death of his son, is also hard to read. his recovery and sobriety is a relief to read about.

Re: OT- Clapton - the autobiography
Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: January 28, 2014 15:44

The most moving parts are how he beat alcohol.

I found it to be very positive - how he recovered himself from being in a very low mess.

Fascinating his early years - and how he has always kept in toch with his home area and folks.

Date: January 28, 2014 16:23

duke richardson
finally got around to reading this, Eric Clapton's autobiography (published in 2008)..

its both frustrating and far-fetched to read about this man. you realize how talented and how hard working he is then you wonder how he did it, as much as he recklessly endangered his career, and how he expected others to put up with his behavior, especially women.

havent finished reading the book. the last third of it, the death of his son, is also hard to read. his recovery and sobriety is a relief to read about.

You have the best part waiting for you there thumbs up

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 28, 2014 23:56

I'll also second Deluxtone's verdict.

One thing I like with this rock biography is how his later years are quite interesting on a personal level, whereas many rock bios are kinda boring after they sober up. Sometimes you get the feeling that the years after 40 don't matter at all, but this was not the case with Clapton's bio.

But I found other rock biographies more compelling and better written. Clapton's ain't badly written, but it's kinda straight and sometimes bland. A little like Bill Wyman's Stone Alone but not quite as dry.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 29, 2014 08:47

Claptons autobiography is superb! Mention the things I want to read about, just like Woodys did...Haven't read Pete's yet...of all bio's written over Dylan, Scaduto's is still the best...just wanna tell you...

2 1 2 0

Date: January 29, 2014 10:08

Haven't read Woody's yet, but I heard there are lots of "fairy tales" in there?

Makes good entertainment, probably, anyhow smiling smiley

Date: January 29, 2014 11:02

DandelionPowderman

Makes good entertainment, probably, anyhow smiling smiley

I think it's just nice, as I think Ronnie is nice...smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: January 29, 2014 11:05

Yeah smiling smiley I will read it eventually. Reading our stonesrule's book on Hendrix now thumbs up

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 29, 2014 12:06

DandelionPowderman

One too many, I think. We can all embellish an account of the past, but Ronnie takes it to new levels of absurdity.

Posted by: AlanPartridge ()
Date: January 29, 2014 12:23

I think he came across as totally self centered and seems like someone who would not be a nice person to know.

As you can expect anyone who is rich and famous will always have friends no matter how they behave

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 30, 2014 03:23

Big Al
DandelionPowderman

One too many, I think. We can all embellish an account of the past, but Ronnie takes it to new levels of absurdity.

Like the bit about him being invited to be the guitarist in Led Zeppelin?

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: January 30, 2014 10:42

Too many anecdotes stapled on each other in Ronnie's book, I think.
Some of them are interesting and funny in their context but too many of them are there without any context at all.
And that makes you think: Why does he mention this irrelevant side issue at all?

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: January 30, 2014 11:52

I have bought Clapton's book just yesterday and I can't wait to read it. From the autobiographies I read I enjoyed most those by B.B King and Johnny Cash. I really enjoyed Keith's, but those two are way more sincere I think. Well, if Eric's is at least as good as Keith's, I will be satisfied :-) I haven't read Ronnies though, since I haven't seen it in a shop, I am not sure it is available in our country at all.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: January 30, 2014 17:42

Woods book seems very keen to mention things like, biggest gig ever played in the world, most money made on a tour, etc etc lots of pats on the back, albeit done in a 'matey' kinda way. alot of porkies in there too. is still a good book and interesting read but kinda lives on the myth of the person and the skims over stuff, for me it had a few low blows aimed at people too that werent needed. I think it also has him mentioning how he was asked to be in Led Zep before Jimmy Page ?!? seeing as Jimmy started the band i find it abit of an embelishment on the truth, or even a bit of porky pie. fundamentally flawed but a good read for me

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 30, 2014 18:33

all these English rock star books are kind of similar aren't they? except maybe Pete Townshend's..just from what I've heard, haven't read it yet..

haven't read Nicky Hopkins' book yet either..

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 30, 2014 18:50

Well, I really enjoyed Eric Clapton's autobiography, and I got re-newed respect and interest in Eric after reading his book, 2-3 years ago. All these comments about the book "being depressive" and about Clapton "being egocentric" makes no sense to me. In fact it's the other way around; because that Clapton is able to be real honest about his view of life back in the 60s and 70s, including the bad sides of himself, really goes to show how far he has come after that, and that he's able to reflect about his doings in a far more objective light than what most rock-stars, or most people will ever do.

The guy has really moved on, and don't take stupid things, including his own doings, that serious anymore, which is really a class-act. Of course usual the usual navel-gazing artist will never get to that point. Nor will the people who would like to keep on naving-gazing at other men's navel......whether it be Keith Richards or Chuck Berry.

The beginning of Clapton's autobiography about him growing up, reminded me a lot about Charles Bukowski's "Ham On Rye". The story about wrecking that train-wagon is real funny

Clapton's autobiography is explendid, but if you want to drink beer, fart, and tap your fingers to rock-music, Keith's "Life" would be a better choice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-30 19:38 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: January 30, 2014 19:43

Looking forward reading his autobiography, and yes, I agree with Erik on Keith's 'Life'book, which wasn't a great read for me.

I recommmend 'All The Rage' by Ian McLagan.Up till now, on of my favorite rock books. Very well written, and, well, a good read.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 30, 2014 23:19

HEY MUM!!!... can ya grab me another beer and some more of those beans if there's any left.....
....Awwww Awwwww yeah and if ya not too busy mum can ya hit play on Exile again ....... love ya mum

ROCKMAN

Date: January 30, 2014 23:38

Erik_Snow
Well, I really enjoyed Eric Clapton's autobiography, and I got re-newed respect and interest in Eric after reading his book, 2-3 years ago. All these comments about the book "being depressive" and about Clapton "being egocentric" makes no sense to me. In fact it's the other way around; because that Clapton is able to be real honest about his view of life back in the 60s and 70s, including the bad sides of himself, really goes to show how far he has come after that, and that he's able to reflect about his doings in a far more objective light than what most rock-stars, or most people will ever do.

The guy has really moved on, and don't take stupid things, including his own doings, that serious anymore, which is really a class-act. Of course usual the usual navel-gazing artist will never get to that point. Nor will the people who would like to keep on naving-gazing at other men's navel......whether it be Keith Richards or Chuck Berry.

The beginning of Clapton's autobiography about him growing up, reminded me a lot about Charles Bukowski's "Ham On Rye". The story about wrecking that train-wagon is real funny

Clapton's autobiography is explendid, but if you want to drink beer, fart, and tap your fingers to rock-music, Keith's "Life" would be a better choice.

He was a jerk, something he admits himself. However, he really took on responsibilities and matured - in a very respectful way.

The book had the same effect on me, as you said it had on you.

As I said, I enjoyed it very much, but there is no way around Clapton's behaviour being very egotistical before he cleaned up.

Date: January 30, 2014 23:39

barbabang
Looking forward reading his autobiography, and yes, I agree with Erik on Keith's 'Life'book, which wasn't a great read for me.

I recommmend 'All The Rage' by Ian McLagan.Up till now, on of my favorite rock books. Very well written, and, well, a good read.

Mac's book is the best!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 31, 2014 01:43

Aquamarine
Big Al
DandelionPowderman

Exactly. I had to re-read that passage several times to make certain I wasn't somehow misunderstanding!

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: January 31, 2014 02:52

Actually wish I had never read it-- I thought so highly of Clapton before, and so little of him after...............just so self absorbed, and treated those around him like dirt,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no thanks

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: January 31, 2014 03:01

It takes courage and honesty to write a book YOURSELF not by a ghostwriter.

I take my hat off to Eric Clapton who doesn't sugarcoat anything in his autobiography. He simply tells the truth.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: January 31, 2014 03:44

Not a fan, but I respect him.

Knowing just the basics about him beforehand, I enjoyed it. Was hoping for more about his guitars and amps, but oh well.

Sad to read about his family situations. His son, God bless him.

Had a few decadent stories throughout, but seemed positive overall.

It is inspiring reading about him getting clean. You can sense that he is proud of that. His attitude and charity for addiction treatment is first-class.

Everyone makes mistakes. Add a @#$%& up spiral rollercoaster of drugs and alcohol. Things can get out of hand, but atleast it looks like he learns from his mistakes. Seems like an ok guy, in my opinion.

Date: January 31, 2014 09:30

bob r
Actually wish I had never read it-- I thought so highly of Clapton before, and so little of him after...............just so self absorbed, and treated those around him like dirt,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no thanks

Then I have to ask you for your own best not to read anything about Elvis Presley .... that could destroy much of your worldview ...

2 1 2 0

Date: January 31, 2014 09:57

stonesrule
It takes courage and honesty to write a book YOURSELF not by a ghostwriter.

I take my hat off to Eric Clapton who doesn't sugarcoat anything in his autobiography. He simply tells the truth.

I do, too. However, he sugarcoated the racist thing. He could very well have treated that incident a bit more thoroughly.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 31, 2014 10:20

DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow

He was a jerk, something he admits himself. However, he really took on responsibilities and matured - in a very respectful way.

The book had the same effect on me, as you said it had on you.

As I said, I enjoyed it very much, but there is no way around Clapton's behaviour being very egotistical before he cleaned up.

I agree 100 %.

Date: January 31, 2014 10:32

Big Al
Aquamarine
Big Al
DandelionPowderman

Exactly. I had to re-read that passage several times to make certain I wasn't somehow misunderstanding!

I haven't read the book, but I'm pretty sure Ronnie would have written something like "the embryo of LZ" or "pre-LZ". Maybe the editor took it all the way, and decided that "being asked to join LZ would look better in the book?

After all, this isn't untrue - it happened, it was discussed.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 31, 2014 10:39

What was discussed, Ronnie being asked to be the guitarist in the band formed by the guitarist Jimmy Page? confused smiley

(Ronnie claims Peter Grant asked him to join the band. Which already not only had but revolved around a guitarist, and the guitarist in question didn't even consider the idea of a SECOND guitarist until years later, and, as we know, decided against it.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-31 10:51 by Aquamarine.

Date: January 31, 2014 10:46

Aquamarine
What was discussed, Ronnie being asked to be the guitarist in the band formed by the guitarist Jimmy Page? confused smiley

As I understand it, this was before Jimmy formed LZ - and had to do with John Paul Jones mainly, no?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1541
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home