Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Playlist for IPOD/The Missing Decca/Abcko1968-70 compilation album...
Posted by: njet ()
Date: January 31, 2014 01:00

I really liked the Exile outtakes - the second disc 2010 - it seemed a second "Tattoo You"... I didn't have problems with the newly added Mick Jagger vocals - just happy to have more music from the period...instrumentals from the 68-71 period are great but I really enjoyed the finished versions of the instrumentals. So after a while I thought of giving the songs from the 69-70 period an "ALBUM-HOME"...

There are a lot of songs "wasted" on different compilations because they were singles not released on an album or outtakes released on "Metamorphosis" and a couple from bootlegs... anyways I was shooting for finished tracks or near-finished tracks. So no "Blood Red Wine", etc.

Tried to make an "album-feel" third album from the 68-70 period... a title could be "Crossfire Hurricane" maybe the cover could be the "Hot Rocks" cover photo...

The lyric content is quite gritty on this compilation "Family", "@#$%& (Schoolboy) Blues", "Memo from Turner" all gives this compilation a dark setting.

Must admit i think the Mick Jagger solo version of "Memo From Turner" is the coolest version of the song BUT it is a "Stones" album so the groups version made the cut...

Jumpin' Jack Flash (Single A-side 1968)
I Don't Know Why (Metamorphosis) 1969
Memo From Turner (Metamorphosis) 1969 (Stones version w/Al Kooper on guitar)
@#$%& (Schoolboy) Blues (Various Bootlegs) (1970)
Honky Tonk Women (Single A-side 1968)
Jivin' Sister Fanny (Metamorphosis) (1969)

You Got The Silver (Mick Jagger: vocal version/Stereo version/"Southeby's Reel 69-70" - Bootleg) (1969)
Downtown Suzie (Metamorphosis) (1969)
Family (Metamorphosis) (1968)
I'm Going Down (Metamorphosis) (1969)
Child Of The Moon (B-side Jumpin' Jack Flash) (1968)
Get A Line On You (CD reissue "Leon Russell" among the bonus tracks) (1969)

Try it or make your own - it's great to have "another" Stones Album from the "Golden Period"...

Re: Playlist for IPOD/The Missing Decca/Abcko1968-70 compilation album...
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 31, 2014 04:00

You could have included one of the best Stones outtakes ever - their cover of Muddy's "Still a Fool"

Posted by: Horseswild ()
Date: January 31, 2014 05:26

Nice idea njet , I am sure there are many more hidden treasures to surface also. I am sure this is all being considered for the Beggar's, LIB and Sticky Deluxe issues down the road !!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-31 05:28 by Horseswild.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: January 31, 2014 19:55

njet
Must admit i think the Mick Jagger solo version of "Memo From Turner" is the coolest version of the song BUT it is a "Stones" album so the groups version made the cut...

That's a major problem with compilations like this...once one sets rules like this the end result is always a compromise! What truly counts IMHO is the listening experience, and therefore the "coolest version" (Jagger solo version) should replace the band version. I would also include "If You Let Me" just because I have got so much used to it in the context of Metamorphosis Side B that exluding it just because it does not fit the 1967-70 time frame simply doesn't feel right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-31 19:56 by alimente.

Posted by: njet ()
Date: January 31, 2014 22:38

alimente - I understand what you are saying - and although I do like Mick Jaggers solo version the most I gotta admit that the Stones version is strong on the compilation coming after "I Don't Know Why" it sounds hungry and upbeat... and the lyrics are greatly followed by @#$%& /Schoolboy" Blues - Micks solo version is more sinister, laid back and "cold"... I actually think the solo version fits better on "Let It Bleed" after "Monkey Man" before "You Can't Always Get What You Want" it is difficult to find a "home" for that song... another place could be after "Sister Morphine" on "Sticky Fingers" so you get two songs in a row featuring Ry Cooders slide guitar and the lyrics on those two songs actually goes well together too...

I never really listened "Metamorphosis" as an album. Used it more as a source for different compilations - there are so many "Mick Jagger with orchestra demo's" on that album... but some really strong tracks here and there... "Don't Lie To Me", "If You Let Me" and all the 68-69 outtakes...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2442
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home