Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Jagger recording in LA
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 4, 2011 01:35

Rocky Dijon
I don't believe they owe Universal any albums. The deal with Universal is for the back catalog and an undisclosed amount of new material. The tracks with EXILE and SOME GIRLS likely go towards fulfilling that, but even if they owed Universal several studio albums, it wouldn't legally preclude Jagger from doing something on his own. If the Stones didn't deliver on a contract, they would have to return an advance on royalties. Since the terms of the Universal contract were never made public, the contract value was certainly not in the $50 million range that the first Virgin contract was reputed to be worth.

Correct.

They have a five year deal with Universal (it was worth $15 million, apparently). The advance they got was for their back catalogue. Whilst any new material would be released by Universal, there's no contractual obligation for them to deliver new product.

The hysteria on these forums over all of this is, quite frankly, utterly mental. Does Mick have to be forced to work with the Stones or something? There could be a multitude of reasons why he's not doing so - and they may not be his doing.

Plus, there's no confirmation anywhere that he's making a solo album, just that he's been doing some recording.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: March 4, 2011 02:29

Gazza
Rocky Dijon
I don't believe they owe Universal any albums. The deal with Universal is for the back catalog and an undisclosed amount of new material. The tracks with EXILE and SOME GIRLS likely go towards fulfilling that, but even if they owed Universal several studio albums, it wouldn't legally preclude Jagger from doing something on his own. If the Stones didn't deliver on a contract, they would have to return an advance on royalties. Since the terms of the Universal contract were never made public, the contract value was certainly not in the $50 million range that the first Virgin contract was reputed to be worth.

Correct.

They have a five year deal with Universal (it was worth $15 million, apparently). The advance they got was for their back catalogue. Whilst any new material would be released by Universal, there's no contractual obligation for them to deliver new product.

The hysteria on these forums over all of this is, quite frankly, utterly mental. Does Mick have to be forced to work with the Stones or something? There could be a multitude of reasons why he's not doing so - and they may not be his doing.

Plus, there's no confirmation anywhere that he's making a solo album, just that he's been doing some recording.

If it's Don Was he's working with, there might be some confusion as to where the rest of the Stones are. Yeah but who is producing him? Someone has to produce him - he's too lame when he produces himself imo. Like Dogsh*t in the Doorway - that documentary where he had his girls singing back up. It would have been alright if one of them wasn't 9 at the time.

Date: March 4, 2011 02:35

He's working with Dave Stewart.

And 'Goddess' had almost as many producers as it had songs. None of whom were Don Was.

Date: March 4, 2011 04:00

Gazza
He's working with Dave Stewart.

And 'Goddess' had almost as many producers as it had songs. None of whom were Don Was.

Which is exactly why it sucked. Whoever was guest featured on that track. Same result.

Kinda wondering what Dave Stewart has left to say. Maybe he can sample some riffs from newer bands or something. He seemed burnt out 20 years ago. Only time you'd see him would be at an awards show or something.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 4, 2011 04:52

Dave Stewart is very active as a producer and songwriting partner for numerous artists. Whether you like his work is another matter, but the guy is still considered successful in the industry.

Date: March 4, 2011 04:59

Rocky Dijon
Dave Stewart is very active as a producer and songwriting partner for numerous artists. Whether you like his work is another matter, but the guy is still considered successful in the industry.

He's pure establishment in the music biz.

this is bad news
Posted by: Rickster ()
Date: March 3, 2011 23:08

Great just heard Mick is working on a solo CD that really sucks that means we probably won't get a new Stones CD and tour anytime soon Mick please give it up call Keith and get to work on Rolling Stones projects remember that's what makes you money not solo stuff.

Re: this is bad news
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: March 3, 2011 23:11

no no please no

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 3, 2011 23:13

Good ta see people worried about Mick's finances ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: March 3, 2011 23:19

I don't think Jagger making a solo cd will have any bearing on the liklihood of a stones tour or cd for that matter

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 3, 2011 23:21

normally i would be upset with mick doing another solo record but ya know what screw keith at this point he has been doing nothing for who knows how long and just waiting around for mick to pull the trigger on another tour, in the meantime mick has been somewhat active making the rounds and keeping busy, so at least it will be something IMO

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: March 3, 2011 23:22

No, but we'll have to sit thru another awful Mick solo cd.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 3, 2011 23:27

scottkeef
No, but we'll have to sit thru another awful Mick solo cd.[/quote

I don't know about you, but I don't have to sit thru' anything.
If it doesn't interest you, ignore it.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 3, 2011 23:30

>>this is bad news<<

This ain't bad news. Another Charlie Sheen thread would be bad news. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: SpanishStone ()
Date: March 3, 2011 23:35

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: March 3, 2011 23:36

I would rather hear a Charlie Watts solo cd

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: March 3, 2011 23:45

So? Mick did Goddess In The Doorway in 2001 if I remember correctly and we had a Stones tour in 2002.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 3, 2011 23:48

Mick can use it to get 'Let's Work" out of his system and come back to the Stones table with "Sad Sad Sad"

That could be GOOD NEWS!

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: March 3, 2011 23:51

Nice to hear mick is keeping himself busy with music,micks music is not bad its matter of taste,Bigger bang is good STONES cd,but fans are getting older and do listen to the music like they use to and all the tracks have to grab them on the 1st hearing,KEITH IS JOKE GOES AND PLAYS WITH ALL THEASE COONERS,he has lost the plot since he had BLOOD CLOT and always putting JAGGER DOWN FOR NO REASON ATALL,HE IS JEALOUS OF JAGGER,BOYS KEEP ON ROCKING.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 3, 2011 23:52

marvpeck
I would rather hear a Charlie Watts solo cd

then do that. may i suggest his tribute to parker....

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: March 4, 2011 00:04

figure mick and the boys deserve the right to do whatever they want musically whether it be stones or solo work. doesn't mean i'm forced to buy it.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 4, 2011 00:07

Edith Grove
>>this is bad news<<

This ain't bad news. Another Charlie Sheen thread would be bad news. eye rolling smiley
Agreed. Besides,we don't know for sure that he's working on a solo album. Jus tapecualtion right now. Nobody is really sure what he is working on. Not that I don't believe Chris. But that's not the Jagger I want to get info from.moody smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-04 19:18 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 4, 2011 00:15

All we know for sure is that it's Don Was' fault and that if Jack White replaces Dave Stewart it will be like Jimmy Miller all over again.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: March 4, 2011 00:32

maybe he's cutting some demos or basic tracks for the other stones to listen or add their imput on?

Date: March 4, 2011 01:05

This is great news. The creative juices keep flowing, maybe not in the direction we'd all like, but he's making music. That's what counts.

Date: March 4, 2011 01:09

Rickster
Great just heard Mick is working on a solo CD that really sucks that means we probably won't get a new Stones CD and tour anytime soon Mick please give it up call Keith and get to work on Rolling Stones projects remember that's what makes you money not solo stuff.

Call Keith? The band member who's been the most musically inactive for the last four years?

There wont be a Stones album or tour in 2011. What's Mick supposed to do? Twiddle his thumbs until Keith writes something or shows some indication that he's strapped on a guitar for more than five minutes at any time since 2007?

Date: March 4, 2011 01:12

scottkeef

You're right, but at least he's doing something.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 4, 2011 03:02

Rocky Dijon
All we know for sure is that it's Don Was' fault and that if Jack White replaces Dave Stewart it will be like Jimmy Miller all over again.
You just summarized about 2000 posts in one sentence.eye popping smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: MissNBrian ()
Date: March 4, 2011 03:12

Edith Grove
>>this is bad news<<

Thanx Edith Grove ... now somebody will prolly start one. lol grinning smiley
----------------------

"Doctor please, some more men please,
To Cotchford Farm, out by the pool...

What a drag it is they couldn't revive him"

Brian Jones 2/28/42 - 7/2/69

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: March 4, 2011 04:19

Brue
scottkeef

You're right, but at least he's doing something.

You have a point there.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2386
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home