Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Charlie Sheen Thinks He's Keith...
Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: March 1, 2011 04:42

Twice now on CNN,he's been quoted that he could out-party Keith....Somehow I doubt it!

This is the news article where the quotes originated.

Troubled star CHARLIE SHEEN has boasted about his wild nights and days of partying in a new TV interview, insisting he could out-party the greats, like FRANK SINATRA and KEITH RICHARDS.

Appearing angry and defiant in the Good Morning America interview, which aired in part on Monday (28Feb11), Sheen addressed his drug use and his love of partying, refusing to accept he has a problem - even though he recently signed up for an at-home rehab course.

The actor agreed to seek help after he was hospitalised with a reported hernia following a wild night of partying at his Hollywood home in January (11).

Recalling the bash, which ended with emergency services coming to his home and wheeling him away on a stretcher, Sheen confesses, "I probably took more (drugs) than anybody could survive... I was banging seven-gram rocks (cocaine) and finishing them because that's how I roll; I have one speed, one gear - go!"

But Sheen insists he's careful with what drugs he takes, adding, "There's certain blends I will not entertain because that's how people go down. I'm too smart to do that."

And, asked about his love of partying, he adds, "What's not to love, especially when you see how I party - it was epic. The run I was on made (Frank) Sinatra, (Errol) Flynn, (Mick) Jagger, (Keith) Richards, all of them, look like, y'know, droopy-eyed, armless children."

Re: Charlie Sheen Thinks He's Keith...
Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: March 1, 2011 05:04

Maybe, he looks like shit. His teeth are pretty @#$%& up. Keith doesn't corner the market on drug excess, you know.
Actually, all that macho boasting sounds a lot like Keef.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 1, 2011 05:13

Sheen thinks a lot of himself, don't he?

@#$%& idiot.

Date: March 1, 2011 05:21

Edith Grove
Sheen thinks a lot of himself, don't he?

@#$%& idiot.

Drugs will do that, ie, Keith Richards.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: March 1, 2011 05:22

Very sad, but this guy has got serious mental health issues....

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 1, 2011 05:24

Hey Charlie, so you think you are Keith? I know Keith (well, not exactly), and I'm telling you, you ain't no Keith Richards!

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 1, 2011 05:25

He is different than those he named, inasmuch as they all had/have talent.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 1, 2011 05:25

Saw his interview this morning, where he was talking about his sobriety while obviously under the influence of something. Pretty amusing if it wasn't so transparently pathetic. I do agree with him about AA though. While it helps some people, AA's success rate is no better than any other program - or even no program at all. But somehow they have insinuated themselves into the US system (including the courts) as the "official" treatment for people with alcohol problems. There is just no proof that no person can cure themselves of a drinking problem, or that a problem drinker (or even serious alcoholic) must go to meetings the rest of their lives. AA asks us to accept all of this on faith. That doesn't mean I think that Sheen is serious about having solved his problems himself. he certainly does not look like someone who has come to any great realization that his behavior is responsible for most if not all of his problems. I am only saying the idea that AA is for everyone or the only path is a crock.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: March 1, 2011 05:26

Keith, supposidly....got hooked on drugs because of work...touring...to keep himself going. Sheen is just showing manic ego-centric and selfish behaviour...and bragging about it on CNN. Okay..it's all the same thing thing...but Keith was not like Sheen...and Sheen is definitely not Keith.

Oh...Keith has talent....

Date: March 1, 2011 05:29

Title5Take1
He is different than those he named, inasmuch as they all had/have talent.

So only a "cool" drug addict is....cool?
That's been people like Keith's problem, too many are willing to give him a pass for narcissistic behavior because he's Keith Richards. Sheen on the other hand, is an idiot.
I don't get it.

Date: March 1, 2011 05:30

palerider22
Keith, supposidly....got hooked on drugs because of work...touring...to keep himself going. Sheen is just showing manic ego-centric and selfish behaviour...and bragging about it on CNN. Okay..it's all the same thing thing...but Keith was not like Sheen...and Sheen is definitely not Keith.

Well, as someone who basically substituted alcoholism for heroin addiction (and let's face it, that's exactly what he did) I am not sure Keith comes out any better. He also has the advantage of not being constantly in front of the public, as someone with a weekly TV show is, so we don't necessarily see the same amount of bad behavior. As to talent, one might argue that Keith's has escaped him lately. Where it went, I do not know...

Date: March 1, 2011 05:31

palerider22

Give me a break,
Keith has been bragging about this shit for decades. Again, that's what drugs do.
I fail to see the difference other than some Stones fanboy fantasy.

Date: March 1, 2011 05:34

It irritates the shit out of me, when Stones and rock music fans in general, deride others, like Winehouse, Lindsey Lohan, Sheen etc....for their substance abuse issues.....
WTF!? How obnoxious is that?

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: March 1, 2011 05:49

saying you can party harder than keith and saying you ARE keith are two different things. he doesn't say he's keith. he just parties hard. a drug addict is a drug addict. i know we like to idolize keith but he isn't on top and everyone else is below him. it doesn't work that way.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 1, 2011 05:54

It irritates the shit out of me, when Stones and rock music
fans in general, deride others, like Winehouse, Lindsey Lohan, Sheen etc....for their substance abuse issues.....

It all started way back with "Fatty" Arbuckle ..........

ROCKMAN

Date: March 1, 2011 06:04

charlie isn't insane. SOCIETY is insane. we build people up to become celebrities only to bring them down. we enioy seeing their destruction. we find this so entertaining and we laugh when it happens. it makes us feel good about our own ordinary lives. when we see someone on a different level than we are on, we ridicule them. it's a shame. sure this guy has issues with drugs and whatnot, but he's actually coherent and not just talking nonsense. i think the media is trying to spin him into some sort of charles manson-type of rambling lunatic, maybe because of his views on 9/11? who knows. let's not get into that though. but this whole situation with sheen makes for good television and headlines, and that's what it's all about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-01 06:05 by ineedadrink.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: March 1, 2011 07:02

71Tele
Saw his interview this morning, where he was talking about his sobriety while obviously under the influence of something. Pretty amusing if it wasn't so transparently pathetic. I do agree with him about AA though. While it helps some people, AA's success rate is no better than any other program - or even no program at all. But somehow they have insinuated themselves into the US system (including the courts) as the "official" treatment for people with alcohol problems. There is just no proof that no person can cure themselves of a drinking problem, or that a problem drinker (or even serious alcoholic) must go to meetings the rest of their lives. AA asks us to accept all of this on faith. That doesn't mean I think that Sheen is serious about having solved his problems himself. he certainly does not look like someone who has come to any great realization that his behavior is responsible for most if not all of his problems. I am only saying the idea that AA is for everyone or the only path is a crock.

As someone who regularly attends AA (19 years sober next month), I would be the first to tell you that AA isn't for everyone. As far as success rates go, AA makes no claims -- however it is my experience that people who *work* the program generally get better. But not everyone is up for the "spiritual" aspect of it (not religious and certainly not defined -- I know several sober atheists). Your remark that AA has "insinuated" into the "US system" as the "official" treatment is absurd and patently off base. There is no promotion associated with AA. Any decisions of courts or treatment centers are theirs alone. There is no governing body of AA per se -- just recovering alcoholics helping other alcoholics. Certainly some members can act like zealots (and A-holes!) -- in my experience they are a small minority. Also I have never been told I have to go to meetings the rest of my life -- never heard anyone say that -- in fact I'm told to take it a day at a time.

"The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking."

You are entitled to your opinion and I certainly don't wish to get in a pissing match here, But so much criticism of AA is wildly misinformed and often mean-spirited. It saved my life, y'know?

And I sure don't think it's for Keith!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 1, 2011 07:24

The sheer bravado of some of Charlie Sheen's pronouncements are hilarious as pure delusional insanity.

"Stay off crack unless you can handle it socially."

The rap on Dan Patrick about the difference between vodka drunks and beer drunks ("vodka drunks are more linear").

"Lindsey Lohan needs to control her impulses."

"I've got tiger blood and Adonis DNA."

"News flash: I am special. I'm not one of you. I'm in a private plane with two smoking hotties. Sometimes it's lonely, but I like the view."

"I like a rock star from Mars. You can't process me with a normal brain."

Keep on rambling, Charlie. You're a gift that keeps on giving. Seriously, you can't make this sh-t up in fiction. I gotta try some of this material at my next performance review at work. smoking smiley

Date: March 1, 2011 07:34

Wry Cooter
71Tele

As someone who regularly attends AA (19 years sober next month), I would be the first to tell you that AA isn't for everyone. As far as success rates go, AA makes no claims -- however it is my experience that people who *work* the program generally get better. But not everyone is up for the "spiritual" aspect of it (not religious and certainly not defined -- I know several sober atheists). Your remark that AA has "insinuated" into the "US system" as the "official" treatment is absurd and patently off base. There is no promotion associated with AA. Any decisions of courts or treatment centers are theirs alone. There is no governing body of AA per se -- just recovering alcoholics helping other alcoholics. Certainly some members can act like zealots (and A-holes!) -- in my experience they are a small minority. Also I have never been told I have to go to meetings the rest of my life -- never heard anyone say that -- in fact I'm told to take it a day at a time.

You are entitled to your opinion and I certainly don't wish to get in a pissing match here, But so much criticism of AA is wildly misinformed and often mean-spirited. It saved my life, y'know?

I'm glad it saved your life - but YOU saved your life, not AA. It's like saying "Jesus saved my life". Hey, whatever works. As I said, I don't doubt it helps some people. Court-ordered attendance at AA meetings is a common occurence in the U.S., contrary to your statement. Much of AA is based on faith. When you try to reason with an AA counselor you get a lot of circular logic and catchphrases. My objections to AA (and there are many) are focused on the fact that it is an ideology which must be accepted on faith, not a medical treatment. AA does not allow the possibility that anyone can cure themselves, when there is absolutely no basis for that belief. AA doctrine insists that one MUST attend meetings - forever, or one has failed. This is the ideology of a cult, not of a sound medical or even psychological practice.

I do have some experience dealing with a person close to me who was (always "is" in AA's belief system) an alcoholic. What I saw in AA counselors disturbed me very much. You can never question "the program". When you try to pin them down on specifics, you get jargon. I went into it with an open mind - or even a slight bias in favor of AA, but soon found myself asking unwelcome questions.

Yes, AA helps people who "work the program", and for those people AA is a godsend. If the price one pays for giving up destructive behavior is buying into AA's ideology, then that's fine with me - but it's still an ideology. A judge forcing someone to attend AA meetings, even if AA's doctrines violate the person's religious or philosophical beliefs is an example of what I called AA's insinuation into our institutions. There is simply no medical or scientific proof that AA is better than willpower, aversion therapy, or even moderation. It all depends on the person, the particulars of their problem, etc. I am quite sure there are many people who simply cannot take a drink. The problem is AA's insistence that it is simply not possible for ANY problem drinker to moderate their drinking, or never go to another meeting once they've stopped, etc. Again, this is doctrine taken on faith, not medical science.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-01 07:49 by 71Tele.

Date: March 1, 2011 07:41

---------------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-01 07:42 by 71Tele.

Date: March 1, 2011 07:50

hmm...
charlie sheen: a druggie + violent towards women = pathetic loser
brian jones: a druggie + violent towards towards women = a cool god
how does that work?
oh wait. brian played guitar in our favourite band. so he's exempt. eye rolling smiley

Date: March 1, 2011 07:53

ineedadrink
hmm...
charlie sheen: a druggie + violent towards women = pathetic loser
brian jones: a druggie + violent towards towards women = a cool god
how does that work?
oh wait. brian played guitar in our favourite band. so he's exempt. eye rolling smiley

Yeah, kind of...Best to separate the art from the artist. We are not Rolling Stones fans because we think they are perfect people. If we require artists and celebrities to be more than mere flawed human beings we will always be disappointed.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: March 1, 2011 07:54

71Tele
Wry Cooter
71Tele

I'm glad it saved your life - but YOU saved your life, not AA. As I said, I don't doubt it helps some people. Court-ordered attendance at AA meetings is a common occurence in the U.S., contrary to your statement. Much of AA is based on faith. When you try to reason with an AA counselor you get a lot of circular logic and catchphrases. My objections to AA (and there are many) are focused on the fact that it is an ideology which must be accepted on faith, not a medical treatment. AA does not allow the possibility that anyone can cure themselves, when there is absolutely no basis for that belief. AA doctrine insists that one MUST attend meetings - forever, or one has failed. This is the ideology of a cult, not of a sound medical or even psychological practice.

Yes, AA helps people who "work the program", and for those people AA is a Godsend. If the price one pays for giving up destructive behavior is buying into AA's ideology, then that's fine with me - but it's still an ideology. A judge forcing someone to attend AA meetings, even if AA's doctrine's violate the person's religious or philosophical beliefs is an example of what I called AA's insinuation into our institutions. There is simply no medical or scientific proof that AA is better than willpower, aversion therapy, or even moderation. It all depends on the person, the particulars of their problem, etc. I am quite sure there are many people who simply cannot take a drink. The problem is AA's insistence that it is simply not possible for ANY problem drinker to moderate their drinking, or never go to another meeting once they've stopped, etc. Again, this is doctrine taken on faith, not medical science.

Obviously addressing the falsehoods you state does no good. AA does not make the claims you attribute to it, nor definitive statements, though you do. Obviously you are angry at AA -- I couldn't know why -- but there is no need to spread BS.

Anyway, against my better judgement:

There is no such thing as an "AA Counselor".

AA is not associated or aligned with any outside entity. If a court sends someone to AA that has nothing to do with AA itself or its philosophy.

AA makes no claims for anyone who doesn't want the program or criticize other therapies. If willpower works for you then more power to you.

AA has no opinion on outside issues -- and has long been supported by the medical community. The literature encourages getting outside help.

AA states that this is how we did it -- not how you must do it. I know for myself that I cannot drink one drink safely -- and I do not want to. But again, if you or someone can -- "we tip our hat!"

I could go on but what's the point? But you are wrong about one more thing. It did save my life.

Enjoy your path....

Date: March 1, 2011 08:04

Wry Cooter
71Tele
Wry Cooter
71Tele

I'm glad it saved your life - but YOU saved your life, not AA. As I said, I don't doubt it helps some people. Court-ordered attendance at AA meetings is a common occurence in the U.S., contrary to your statement. Much of AA is based on faith. When you try to reason with an AA counselor you get a lot of circular logic and catchphrases. My objections to AA (and there are many) are focused on the fact that it is an ideology which must be accepted on faith, not a medical treatment. AA does not allow the possibility that anyone can cure themselves, when there is absolutely no basis for that belief. AA doctrine insists that one MUST attend meetings - forever, or one has failed. This is the ideology of a cult, not of a sound medical or even psychological practice.

Yes, AA helps people who "work the program", and for those people AA is a Godsend. If the price one pays for giving up destructive behavior is buying into AA's ideology, then that's fine with me - but it's still an ideology. A judge forcing someone to attend AA meetings, even if AA's doctrine's violate the person's religious or philosophical beliefs is an example of what I called AA's insinuation into our institutions. There is simply no medical or scientific proof that AA is better than willpower, aversion therapy, or even moderation. It all depends on the person, the particulars of their problem, etc. I am quite sure there are many people who simply cannot take a drink. The problem is AA's insistence that it is simply not possible for ANY problem drinker to moderate their drinking, or never go to another meeting once they've stopped, etc. Again, this is doctrine taken on faith, not medical science.

Obviously addressing the falsehoods you state does no good. AA does not make the claims you attribute to it, nor definitive statements, though you do. Obviously you are angry at AA -- I couldn't know why -- but there is no need to spread BS.

AA is not associated or aligned with any outside entity. If a court sends someone to AA that has nothing to do with AA itself or its philosophy.

AA makes no claims for anyone who doesn't want the program or criticize other therapies. If willpower works for you then more power to you.

AA has no opinion on outside issues -- and has long been supported by the medical community. The literature encourages getting outside help.

AA states that this is how we did it -- not how you must do it. I know for myself that I cannot drink one drink safely -- and I do not want to. But again, if you or someone can -- "we tip our hat!"

I could go on but what's the point? But you are wrong about one more thing. It did save my life.

Enjoy your path....

-----------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-01 08:13 by 71Tele.

Date: March 1, 2011 08:11

71Tele
Wry Cooter
71Tele
Wry Cooter
71Tele

Enjoy your path....

I'm not angry at all. And you are repeating typical AA defenses. Party line stuff they always say when criticized. If AA doesn't have "counselors" it certainly has people who play that role, though they may call themselves something different. I spoke with them. I apologize if I used the incorrect nomencalture. My experience with AA made me learn more about it. AA is an ideology based on faith, not a medically-proven treatment program. Again, I have no problem with people belonging to it or benefiting from it. I DO have a problem with some of the misconceptions people have about it, and its intrusion into the court system, business, etc. I'm not even an atheist, so the "higher power" bit does not even trouble me. My objections are that I feel it is intellectually dishonest in the way it presents itself. You obviously have a need to defend it. Fair enough. And arguing with you about whether AA or YOU were the agency that "saved your life" is as useless as arguing with someone convinced that Jesus did, or Hare Krishna for that matter. Again, if that works for you, I have no problem. Hats off to you for taking the steps needed to turn things around. I certainly am not judging YOU. I feel the AA ideology - and it IS an ideology - is intellectually dishonest, and I have stated my reasons for that opinion. The idea that anyone with a substance abuse problem should run off and do a 12-step program has become consensus reality in our culture. It simply is not the answer for every person or every problem. So maybe we agree about that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-01 08:12 by 71Tele.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: March 1, 2011 08:20

come on, don't take it too seriously
Sheen was just kidding...it's only rock'n'roll

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 1, 2011 08:59

Sheen was just kidding...it's only rock'n'roll

Yeah YEAH that's it .... it's called Show-Biz

ROCKMAN

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 1, 2011 11:27

...but not at all !

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 1, 2011 11:43

Wow Sheen has a couple of bar-rounds left before matching Keith...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: March 1, 2011 13:38

It's too bad he's such an A**hole really because his show is great! It makes me really laugh!!

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1513
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home