Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bobby Keys 70th Birthday with the Fifty Licks Band, December 18
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 15, 2013 23:49

Bobby will celebrate the birthday he shares with Keith by guesting with Marc Ribler and friends at Count Basie Theatre in Red Bank NJ.

More guest to be announced. Tickets on sale October 18. > [www.countbasietheatre.org]

Re: Bobby Keys 70th Birthday with the Fifty Licks Band, December 18
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 16, 2013 00:48

These types of shows are great...even better is having Bobby Keys there too.

What I like about them is that even more than an actual Stones show, most everyone there will know every guitar lick, snare fill and word to every song.

Posted by: flashhh ()
Date: October 16, 2013 13:46

Saw Bobby and the Suffering Bastards in Syracuse a few weeks ago. What a great show and a funny, personable man who still blows a good horn. Dan Baird (Georgia Satellites) provided excellent lead vocals and guitar. Really good band. Never have heard of this 50 Licks Band....

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 16, 2013 14:20

I wouldn't bet against Keef being there.

Posted by: KatieGirl ()
Date: October 16, 2013 15:05

Yes, I wonder if Keith will be there? Except for the fact that I'll be in Cambodia for three weeks, I would be planning a road trip!

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: October 16, 2013 15:20

Man, all of these guys are going strong. Imagine that 70 years old and still rockin'. So many of the "old timers" are touring and planning future tours. I'm 100% positive that we haven't seen or heard the last of the Stones!smiling smiley

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 16, 2013 15:58

flashhh
Saw Bobby and the Suffering Bastards in Syracuse a few weeks ago. What a great show and a funny, personable man who still blows a good horn. Dan Baird (Georgia Satellites) provided excellent lead vocals and guitar. Really good band. Never have heard of this 50 Licks Band....

ahh..would love to see those Suffering Bastards..

Dan Baird is 100% rock and roll, and is a fine songwriter, he is in two other bands, really turning it out and playing all the time
The Bluefields
Homemade Sin

Date: October 17, 2013 01:48

flashhh
Never have heard of this 50 Licks Band.

Marc Ribler has put together a couple of these Stones-centric shows in recent years. Not a tribute band with Glimmer Twins doppelgangers, rather a bunch of music vets playing stuff that's in their DNA.

Some clips:

James Maddock's take on 'Memory Motel' with bassist Graham Maby on the Keith verses, and Billy Hector on lead guitar. - [youtu.be]

'Emotional Rescue/Miss You' mashup with Gedeon Luke, Sandy Mack on harp, anchored by a thumpin' Jack Daley. - [youtu.be]

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 17, 2013 13:44

There's a few more videos of them like Midnight Rambler,etc.
Good rockin band. I like them - and the harp player . .

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 17, 2013 14:30

Looks like fun. Unfortunate the show is 3000 miles away from me. I've met Bobby. He was a riot. Very funny & friendly. I read his book & it was entertaining. I was very happy when they brought him back into the band. If you take a look at his discography, it's pretty astounding.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: October 22, 2013 18:08

Got my ticket!!! hot smiley

Who is all going, from here?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-22 18:09 by MingSubu.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: October 22, 2013 21:19

I will be there, front row balcony.

last time i got tickets to a show hoping Keith would show was Peter Tosh at the Bottom Line in 78 (79?).

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: October 24, 2013 01:19

So what is Red Bank, NJ like? Anything interesting to do/see, or is it a shithole? Kind of undecided where to get a hotel that night.

My plan is to see the show. Then hightail it, up to NYC, for a few days.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 24, 2013 02:53

This should be a great show, regardless of any Keith appearance--I love Bobby, and thought his book was very entertaining. I'd have tried to be there myself, but will be back in the Olde Country for Christmas.

Date: December 7, 2013 01:22

[www.facebook.com]

John Eddie is Marc Ribler's latest friend.

List of other musicians and tickets for the show @ [www.countbasietheatre.org]

Date: December 15, 2013 23:13

Bobby Keys: Stones' go-to saxophonist marks 70 in Red Bank

By Mark Voger/The Star-Ledger
December 15, 2013

It figures that Bobby Keys and Keith Richards were born on the same day.

Their legacies as musicians — and as party animals — are inextricably linked.

Keys supplied the sax solos for such Rolling Stones classics as "Brown Sugar" and "Can't You Hear Me Knocking," among many career highlights. Stones guitarist Richards chronicled his hard-partying days, often with Keys at his side, in his 2010 memoir "Life."

Both men turn 70 on Wednesday. Keys will mark the occasion with a multi-artist show in Red Bank that celebrates the music of the Stones. He spoke in his trademark Texan drawl in a recent telephone interview.

Q. You'll be turning 70 in Red Bank. Do you have any surprise plans for the show?

A. I don't know about any surprise plans. I'm kinda surprised that I'm gonna be there.

Q. How do you feel about this milestone birthday?

A. Seventy, man. I started doing this stuff when I was 12, so I've been doing it for quite a while. But 70? I remember when I thought 40 was a big deal. Then 50, then 60. By now, it's just another day, man. By and large, the calendar doesn't mean a thing when I'm playing.

Q. What did you do for fun while growing up in Slaton, Texas?

A. I did pretty much what other kids did. In the summertime, I played Little League baseball; football in the fall; basketball in the winter. It wasn't really that strong of a musical environment in Slaton. I played in the high school band. I was the one baritone saxophone out of 80 other people. No one could tell whether I was hittin' the right notes or the wrong notes.

Q. When you were a kid, you would sneak into rehearsals by Buddy Holly and the Crickets. Was that your introduction to rock 'n' roll?

A. It was also my introduction to petty larceny. I'd sneak money out of my grandma's handbag to buy cheeseburgers and fries, and take 'em across the street. That's why they'd let me hang around. The first time I heard electric guitar was Buddy. The first live person I saw playing rock 'n' roll live was him, just down the street from my house.

Q. You first met the Rolling Stones in 1964, when you were on the same bill. That was early for them. What were the circumstances?

A. That was when they had a record out called "Not Fade Away." That was in San Antonio, at the Dick Clark Teenage World Fair. They were the first British group I'd ever seen. The whole British Invasion thing was going on at the time. I was not too keen on it, because there was no saxophone involved in any of their music (laughs).

Q. How are you feeling these days?

A. Sad and sassy.

Q. What's next for you?

A. Going on tour with the Rolling Stones. You'll have to do some travelin' if you wanna see it. We'll be starting in — how do you pronounce it? — Abu Dhabi (on Feb. 21). We'll rehearse in Paris and then we'll go to Abu Dhabi, Japan, Australia, New Zealand and a couple of other countries sprinkled in there. Half the time, I don't really know where we'll land.

Q. At least these days, you have a better chance of getting through customs without being busted.

A. Yeah (laughs)!

Q. Any chance of Keith showing up at your Red Bank show?

A. I think he's gonna be in Africa.

Q. Then, maybe you'll text each other "happy birthday."

A. We've already done that.

[www.nj.com]

Date: December 17, 2013 15:26

A STONES-Y BIRTHDAY, FOR KEITH AND KEYS

Gimme the Keys: Tenor sax ace (and longtime Rolling Stones lieutenant) Bobby Keys celebrates his 70th birthday — a milestone shared by none other than Keith Richards — with an appearance at the Count Basie Theatre’s FIFTY LICKS concert.

By TOM CHESEK

The first time that Marc Ribler assembled the All-Shore project known as The Fifty Licks Band, it was the eve of a pretty momentous occasion — the 50th anniversary of the debut gig, by a group then going under the name The Rollin’ Stones.

When the Billboard-charting songsmith, commercial jingle composer, and benefit-bash bandleader re-convenes his jukebox Justice League this Wednesday, it will be in honor of a milestone that might conceivably call for twenty more licks. December 18 not only marks the 70th birthday of the irrepressible Keith Richards, but a big Number 70 as well for a man who’s been a cornerstone of the band’s extended family since 1969 — tenor saxophone ace Bobby Keys.

The Texas-born Keys, who’s maintained his end of a forty-year “ax and sax” dialogue with partner (in music and, occasionally, mayhem) Richards, will be spending his special day at the Count Basie Theatre. He’ll be appearing with Ribler and company as the very special guest in an 8 pm event that producer Tony Pallagrosi sums up as “a much different experience than seeing a bar band do a bunch of Stones covers…this really is Stones music, played the way that the Stones play it.”

A legendary concert promoter (the original Warped Tour, and the star-studded Light of Day benefits) club manager (Starland Ballroom, Fastlane) and a former member of the Asbury Jukes, Pallagrosi approaches the December 18 project as a self-described “HUGE Stones fan” — even as he busies himself with preparations for the 2014 Light of Day events unfolding in Asbury Park this January. The opportunity to involve Keys in the project — in addition to one or two potential “surprises” to be revealed — took precedence over such trifles as holiday shopping mall excursions, however, and the ongoing partnership with Ribler finds the Fifty Licks producer secure in the knowledge that all matters musical reside in the best of hands.

“Marc and I had talked about doing a project together,” says Pallagrosi. “He’s a wonderful musician…for a project like this, you need someone who has the respect of his peers, and Marc is that kind of a musician.”

A quick scan of the evening’s roster suggests that Ribler and Pallagrosi must each possess a Rolodex the size of The Price Is Right‘s Big Wheel. There are Jersey Shore/ Asbury Park headliners in the house, both veterans (Lance Larson, Sandy Mack) and recent vintage (Eryn Shewell). There are Brit transplants (James Maddock, Graham Maby), plus members of the Jukes (Jeff Kazee), The Fab Faux (Jack Petruzelli, Rich Pagano) and Clarence Clemons’ Red Bank Rockers (JT Bowen). There are players who’ve shared the studio and the stage with Jon Bon Jovi, Billy Joel, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Michael Bolton, Levon Helm, Peter Gabriel, Patti Smith and, of course, The Boss.

And then there’s Bobby Keys, the sort of sought-after session ace who’s been called upon by everyone from Streisand to Skynyrd — that’s him on Dion’s “The Wanderer;” on John Lennon’s “Whatever Gets You Through the Night,” and on records by Eric Clapton, BB King, Etta James, Marvin Gaye. Still, it’s his years as “THE Stones sideman” that define him — a tenure that began with the album Let It Bleed. For the Stones, it was the start of an interlude that saw the death of Brian Jones and the arrival of Mick Taylor; the establishment of their own record label, and an increased collaboration with American musicians like Gram Parsons, Billy Preston and Ry Cooder.

For Keys, it was a chance to shine on classic cuts like “Brown Sugar,” “Can’t You Hear Me Knocking,” and “Happy” — as well as a friendship with Richards that led to such behavior as a famous hotel TV-tossing incident, stories of bathing in champagne, and, eventually, a tendency for missing shows that resulted in a long exile from the band’s tours (these and other tales from the road are detailed in his 2012 memoir, Every Night’s A Saturday Night).

Expect those Keys classics as part of Wednesday’s musical menu, along with a cavalcade of Stones hot-rocks from the 1960s (“Under My Thumb,” “Out of Time,” “Get Off My Cloud”), 1970s (“Tumbling Dice,” “Beast of Burden,” “Wild Horses”) and beyond. It’s all about channeling the essence of an entity about which Pallagrosi asserts, “no band plays rock and roll the way they do…there’s a certain mindset that goes into the chords; the intertwining of the guitars. We hope to capture that nuance; that sense of space.”

“When punk rock happened, Keith reasserted himself as the original punk…and the band showed ‘em all who the bosses really were,” says Pallagrosi of the rock institution that’s assimilated influences of reggae, blues, Motown R&B and disco into their signature sound — adding with a laugh, “they feed off their environment…they suck the life out of ‘em, and they split!”

[www.redbankgreen.com]

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 17, 2013 15:37

hoping for youtubes of this!

what a show, enjoy!

Date: December 18, 2013 01:21

Southside Johnny is among the latest "special guests" announced for tomorrow night's show.

[www.countbasietheatre.org]

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: December 18, 2013 04:40

MingSubu
So what is Red Bank, NJ like? Anything interesting to do/see, or is it a shithole? Kind of undecided where to get a hotel that night.

My plan is to see the show. Then hightail it, up to NYC, for a few days.

Red Bank is a pretty cool place. It's smack in the middle of some very wealthy towns in the "Brokers and Bankers" section of NJ. It's a cool little downtown with live music, bar hopping, good restaurants and a bunch of unique "Mom and Pop" stores.

Posted by: Rickster ()
Date: December 18, 2013 14:05

Happy BIRTHDAY Bobby!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 18, 2013 14:09

Happy Birthday!

Date: December 18, 2013 14:13

Keith texts???

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 18, 2013 14:27

DandelionPowderman
Keith texts???

With those fingers? Never.

Posted by: Kuntaman ()
Date: December 18, 2013 17:38

Happy birthday to the coolest saxplayer in the game! Be cool Bobby! God bless

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: December 19, 2013 00:45

Happy Birthday Bobby have a good one.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: December 19, 2013 00:53

Not sure if tonight's show has happened yet or not--think it's probably soon to start--but I bet it'll be a doozy, have a wonderful time everyone who attends! Kiss Bobby Happy B-day from me. smiling smiley

Date: December 20, 2013 15:54

Photo from Wednesday, courtesy of Michele Rescigno Pav.

[www.facebook.com]

Graham Maby, Reagan Richards, James Maddock, Arne Wendt, Bobby Keys, Marc Ribler, Tommy Labella, Sandy Mack, Tony Pallagrosi and Michele Rescigno Pav.

Videos, with thanks to the uploaders.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: December 20, 2013 16:01

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BOBBY!

You're living proof that Nice guys do finish 1st!

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: December 20, 2013 19:01

Keith's in Africa?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1733
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home