Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Any ELO fans here
Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: February 25, 2011 17:18

Old jeff is a big birmingham city fan, i should imagine he will be at wembley this sunday for the carling cup final.

Just finishing work and will be heading down to wembley tomorrow with fingers and legs crossed for sunday.smileys with beer

Posted by: Mainman ()
Date: February 25, 2011 17:36

odean73
Old jeff is a big birmingham city fan, i should imagine he will be at wembley this sunday for the carling cup final.

Just finishing work and will be heading down to wembley tomorrow with fingers and legs crossed for sunday.smileys with beer

Here's hoping for a Birmingham victory!!

I shall be playing Mr Blue Sky in your honour several times over the weekend.

Come on you blues!!!!!

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: February 25, 2011 22:34

Livin' Thing was the first 45 I ever bought-it was either that or Knowing Me Knowing You by Abba. Still dig ELO but it's gotta be in relatively small doses or I might get a cavity.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: February 25, 2011 22:35

o

A spin on 'The Greatest Rock n Roll Band In The World'

grinning smiley

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 26, 2011 09:11

StonesTod
stupidguy2
Remember how cool "Living Thing" sounded the first time you heard it?
It didn't sound like anything else at the time. I love all their early stuff.
Telephone Line reminds me of Lennon, and they had those great melodies.

lynne was a master at hooks - he could create a hook within a hook.

he seriously kicks major ass!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 26, 2011 09:12

AngieBlue
Living Thing still sounds cool.

This was one of the 1st singles I ever bought ... possibly Hard Luck Woman by Kiss, can't remember which i got first

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 26, 2011 13:11

I was always a fan of The Move, and when they transitioned eventually into ELO with Roy Wood,Bev Bevan and Jeff Lynne,I became an ELO fan.Never did see them live in their heyday though.Their music still lives on and like The Stones,The Who and a few other bands,their music is timeless.Still gets aired on the radio a helluva lot. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: February 26, 2011 15:01

I like a few songs. Eldorado is very good album.

I remember the sleep over to get tix for the Zep gig in San Diego in 1977 the night of the ELO concert and us Zep fans really got nasty with the ELO fans coming out of the concert. A bit stupid but funny when you're 17yo.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: February 26, 2011 15:04

tatters
I like some of their early stuff. Kinda like where the Beatles might have gone if they had stayed together. Jeff's voice almost sounds like John AND Paul, singing TOGETHER. LOL

My opinion as well.
I've never thought about what you mention: Jeff really sounds like both John AND Paul! And there's even maybe a snatch of the nasal-like Harrsion in his voice too!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 26, 2011 20:51

Blueranger
tatters
I like some of their early stuff. Kinda like where the Beatles might have gone if they had stayed together. Jeff's voice almost sounds like John AND Paul, singing TOGETHER. LOL

My opinion as well.
I've never thought about what you mention: Jeff really sounds like both John AND Paul! And there's even maybe a snatch of the nasal-like Harrsion in his voice too!

It's true. If you listen to a song like the Beatles "Two Of Us", where John and Paul are singing in unison, it kinda sounds like Jeff Lynne!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 27, 2011 06:42

Always liked ELO's take on this one.

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: February 27, 2011 12:47

Last year I read the very sad story about Mike Edwards from ELO, who had a bizar accident and unfortunatly did not survive.

LINK: Mike Edwards Died in bizarre accident last year

That made me listen again to ELO, especially Out Of The Blue.
Strange how you can get attended to some good old music you almost were forgotten..

Mr.Fancyman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-27 12:49 by mrfancyman.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: February 28, 2011 16:01

Saw them on their last tour together in the early 80's, good show.

Funny start though, this little robot that looks like of like R2D2 from Star Wars rolls out to introduce the band, turns and rolls right off a step on the stage. Out comes the crew to pick it up and carry it off. Very Spinal Tap!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 28, 2011 21:00

I'm a big fan ....... oooops, sorry, thought it said ELMO fan.

Date: February 28, 2011 21:04

I guess that Jeff Lynne will be celebrating Birmingham Citys' great win over Arsenal in the Carling Cup Final.Good on 'em. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 28, 2011 21:07

ELO made some good records, but as a producer Jeff Lynne had the unique ability to make everyone sound like...ELO. I always wondered if he sold his soul to Satan in exchange for the ability to work with George Harrison, Tom Petty, and Roy Orbison, not to mention the Beatles. Perhaps he is just an amiable guy that people like having around. There certainly is no qualitative musical explanation for Jeff Lynne as a producer.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 28, 2011 21:20

71Tele
ELO made some good records, but as a producer Jeff Lynne had the unique ability to make everyone sound like...ELO. I always wondered if he sold his soul to Satan in exchange for the ability to work with George Harrison, Tom Petty, and Roy Orbison, not to mention the Beatles. Perhaps he is just an amiable guy that people like having around. There certainly is no qualitative musical explanation for Jeff Lynne as a producer.

many producers have their own sound. phil spector and daniel lanois come to immediate mind. i don't understand the "selling soul" comment - more likely some folks are just drawn to his sound....

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 28, 2011 21:34

Similarity ELO / Beatles:

Produced by Lynne

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 28, 2011 21:43

Silver Dagger
Roy Wood was the original genius behind the Electric Light Orchestra. Here he is performing the group's first single 10538 Overture.

For years I was searching for this song on YT, now I know why I didn't find it thought it was from the Move.

As for ELO I did liked them back them, they made some great song..............

As John Lennon ones quoted... if the Beatles still were around in the early 70's we probably sounded like ELO

Date: February 28, 2011 21:52

NICOS
For years I was searching for this song on YT, now I know why I didn't find it thought it was from the Move.

As for ELO I did liked them back them, they made some great song..............

As John Lennon ones quoted... if the Beatles still were around in the early 70's we probably sounded like ELO
[www.guardian.co.uk]

ELO: The band the Beatles could have been.
Critics called them 'dull' and laughed at the spaceships. Did they not realise Jeff Lynne was a songwriter to rival Lennon and McCartney?
When the Beatles broke up in 1970, the world suffered one mighty post-traumatic stress disorder and an even worse case of separation anxiety (that continues to this day). The Beatles broke up! Oh no! Nevertheless, the search for "the new Beatles" was on. The Beatles, as a band, are irreplaceable, but it never stopped contenders reaching for their throne. Badfinger and Big Star were good, classic, and successful in replicating the sound, but not the commercial success. It took Jeff Lynne and his band Electric Light Orchestra to reach and meet the ambitions of the Beatles template – making their 70s back catalogue good enough to match the Fabs.

The Beatles knew this. And you know it. You just do. ELO's Showdown was a favourite song of John Lennon. Lennon remarked that ELO were the "Sons of the Beatles". Ringo Starr and George Harrison made frequent guest appearances on ELO albums. As many know, Lynne was in the Travelin' Wilburys with Harrison.

Lynne was the producer of choice for post-Beatles' solo projects: George Harrison's Cloud Nine, Paul McCartney's Flaming Pie, and numerous Ringo Starr projects. He even ended up replacing George Martin as the Beatles producer for the final singles Free as a Bird and Real Love. If the Beatles can place this much trust in Lynne and believe in his music, why are they still in the ghetto marked Guilty Pleasures? Should we now accept that, yes, ELO were just as good as the Beatles during their own classic run in the 1970s?

When ELO began they never hid their ambition; this was a band who wanted to be the next Beatles. When Roy Wood and Jeff Lynne started the Electric Light Orchestra project (after the Move), the manifesto was clear – "Pick up where the Beatles left off" – and for the next eight years, they did exactly that.

Debut single, 10538 Overture, was a fairly straight tribute to the Beatles, but the following albums No Answer and ELO II managed to build on the heavily orchestrated, guitar-packed, trippy sounds of 10538 Overture, retaining their own identity. ELO gave the world Beatles albums as if the Beatles never broke up.

Roy Wood left (to form Wizzard) before the third album, making ELO "The Jeff Lynne Show" from here on in. On the Third Day consisted of almost epic pop songs with the ever-present Beatles influence: the Lennon-esque Dead as a Blue Bird (complete with backwards guitar solo), the rocking Ma Ma Ma Bell (featuring Marc Bolan on guitar). All four tracks on the B-side were connected into an Abbey Road-style medley. Lynne paid further tribute on the live album The Night the Lights Went On (recorded in Long Beach) with a mightily distorted version of Daytripper.

However, unlike the Beatles, ELO were frequently finding themselves in a position of being more popular in the US than the UK. Their fourth release, Eldorado, A Symphony, went to No 12 in the US Charts, but did not even chart in the UK. Can't Get It Out of My Head became an FM classic. And unlike the Beatles, critics started to tear into the ELO sound as "boring" and "dull". It was anything but boring and dull: Face the Music and A New World Record eschewed the orchestrated prog of Eldorado and explored the Beatles influence even further, with the pure pop perfection of Telephone Line and hit Evil Woman (which directly references the Fabs with the line "there is a hole in my head where the rain comes in", a magpie lyric snatched from Fixing a Hole).

Of course, the Beatles had the White Album and Lynne again followed in their footsteps with the release of Out of the Blue, the finest concept album about weather ever made, including the utterly fantastic Mr Blue Sky. But nobody was prepared for the Beatles-go-disco of Discovery. (Fun fact: ELO influenced Daft Punk, who sampled Evil Woman and whose iconic light show is similar to the ELO video for Last Train to London).

Detractors of ELO have always pointed out the pompous use of strings, the vocoders, and the spaceships – critics never forget about the spaceships. Sure, but what about the songs?! It's time to release Electric Light Orchestra from the Guilty Pleasures ghetto and place them in the "You know what? This is just as good as the Beatles" bracket.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 28, 2011 22:16

A good band - sure
As good as the Beatles - no way

Date: February 28, 2011 22:22

Definately a great band,but unless you are a born again ELO fan for ever,The Stones ,The Beatles,The Who were the boys,in my humble opinion. smoking smiley

Date: February 28, 2011 22:49

crawdaddy
Definately a great band,but unless you are a born again ELO fan for ever,The Stones ,The Beatles,The Who were the boys,in my humble opinion. smoking smiley
Jeff Lynne had the best looking to sing for him - ONJ on Xanadu. That they can't beat.

Date: February 28, 2011 23:07

Agreed.Olivia was and still is, a great singer as well as a great looker. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: March 1, 2011 00:35

Well, I'm not as much into ELO itself, more into Jeff Lynne's post-ELO work and his productions. But I'll say it right away: he's not the right guy to produce the Stones.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 1, 2011 00:37

But I'll say it right away: he's not the right guy to produce the Stones.

I think we all agree on this one ........at least I hope

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 1, 2011 00:40

NICOS
But I'll say it right away: he's not the right guy to produce the Stones.

I think we all agree on this one ........at least I hope

it IS kind of a funny notion to ponder - the sound of the stones produced by lynne. i smiled for a brief moment there.

Posted by: aralla ()
Date: March 1, 2011 00:43

Great band, some stunning tunes.
My favourite album: "Time"

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: March 1, 2011 15:59

crawdaddy
I guess that Jeff Lynne will be celebrating Birmingham Citys' great win over Arsenal in the Carling Cup Final.Good on 'em. >grinning smiley<

Just got back from london and wembley absolutely fantastic day for us blue boys, still pinching myself that i actually seen birmingham win a cup final at wembley will live in the old memory box forever.hot smileyhot smiley>grinning smiley<smileys with beer

Now lets see the stones at the new wembley soonnnnn.

Date: March 1, 2011 17:57

odean73
crawdaddy

Just got back from london and wembley absolutely fantastic day for us blue boys, still pinching myself that i actually seen birmingham win a cup final at wembley will live in the old memory box forever.hot smileyhot smiley>grinning smiley<smileys with beer
Tonight is going to be a big game in London again - will the blues or the red win? Quite decisive for the blue ones, trying to be a part of the top 4.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1840
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home