Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: RIP Ronnie Biggs
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 18, 2013 09:44

Notorious British Great Train robber Ronnie Biggs, who made a record with Sex Pistols' Steve Jones and Paul Cook has died.

[news.sky.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-18 20:17 by bv.

Re: OT: Ronnie Biggs dead
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 18, 2013 14:26

I remember the footage of him arriving back in London after his exile. He reached out to shake the hand of the approaching officer, but, instead, was handcuffed immediately. I have mixed-feelings regarding the man and his conduct, but he has his place in British folklore. I suppose he's up there with the Kray's in the notoriety stakes.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: December 18, 2013 15:47

The Krays were significantly more violent. Biggs was a robber in an incident in which violence wasn't planned.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: December 18, 2013 15:51

RIP Ronnie...

Posted by: Kuntaman ()
Date: December 18, 2013 16:47

Rest in peace Ronnie. God bless

Re: OT: RIP Ronnie Biggs
Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: December 18, 2013 20:35

Ronnie Biggs was doing time until he done a bunk
Now he says he's seen the light and he sold his soul to punk.

RIP Ronnie!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 18, 2013 20:48

Well, he was one of the "greats" wasn't he? Another one of the greats has passed.

Date: December 18, 2013 21:20

stonehearted
Well, he was one of the "greats" wasn't he? Another one of the greats has passed.

'Greats'? No, I don't believe so. 'Notorious'? Yes. A piss-taker who only returned 'home' when he required the benefits of British healthcare? Absolutely.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: December 18, 2013 21:43

ronnie biggs was no hero, a train driver was killed albeit years later because of the train robbery.

maybe those on here who call him one of the greats would have a different opinion if one of their loved ones had suffered the same fate.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: December 18, 2013 21:55

buttons67
ronnie biggs was no hero, a train driver was killed albeit years later because of the train robbery.

maybe those on here who call him one of the greats would have a different opinion if one of their loved ones had suffered the same fate.

Jack Mills – train driver / robbery victim died in 1970 from leukaemia. Leukemia is cancer and cancer is indeed horrible way to die - but it had nothing to do with the Train robbery.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: December 18, 2013 22:06

Big Al
stonehearted

'Greats'? No, I don't believe so. 'Notorious'? Yes. A piss-taker who only returned 'home' when he required the benefits of British healthcare? Absolutely.

Agreed. Anyone who thinks Biggs was anything more than a thieving scumbag is a moron!

Posted by: Gibson668 ()
Date: December 18, 2013 22:42

strat72
Big Al
stonehearted

Agreed. Anyone who thinks Biggs was anything more than a thieving scumbag is a moron!

Agreed x 2

Date: December 19, 2013 00:06

Gibson668
strat72
Big Al
stonehearted

Agreed x 2

Anyone who doesn't understand sarcasm is a moron. You did happen to notice that I put the word greats in quotes?eye rolling smiley

And for those above who misunderheard me, that's one of the "greats" as in one of the "great train robbers".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-19 00:21 by stonehearted.

Date: December 19, 2013 00:20

stonehearted
Gibson668
strat72
Big Al
stonehearted

Agreed x 2

Anyone who doesn't understand sarcasm is a moron. You did happen to notice that I put the word greats in quotes?eye rolling smiley

Agreed - people who dont like or understand sarcasm are morons and there's many here - Biggs is one the greats. indeed. Comedian Stephen Fry - funny fellow - had this to say about morons and great Ronnie Biggs.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-19 01:16 by seitan.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: December 19, 2013 01:34

Scum.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 19, 2013 04:19

thug

Date: December 19, 2013 05:23

stonehearted

And for those above who misunderheard me, that's one of the "greats" as in one of the "great train robbers".

Aww, diddums; are we being defensive?

Date: December 19, 2013 05:30

Like it's supposed to be my fault that certain people lack perceptiveness or a sense of humor or both.eye rolling smiley

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: December 19, 2013 13:20

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-17 22:38 by colonial.

Date: December 19, 2013 18:50

Yes, stoneshearted, I misunderstood you. However, I do not lack perspective and nor do I lack a sense of humour; most definitely not. I am sorry I called you 'diddums', by the way. I think I should stay away from the keyboard after I've had a few.

Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: December 19, 2013 19:04

His notoriety was created by Fleet Street who portrayed him as some sort of modern-day Robin Hood.

He wasn't a main part of the gang and had a pretty trivial role in the whole episode.

Either way he was a criminal on the run from justice. He returned to the UK for the free healthcare.

I'll shed no tears at his passing.

Date: December 19, 2013 19:44

Scooby

Either way he was a criminal on the run from justice. He returned to the UK for the free healthcare.

Yeah, that's the gripe I have, too. He spent years-upon-years mocking and holding two-fingers up at British justice, yet, comes crying back for NHS treatment once he's ill.

Date: December 19, 2013 20:52

Big Al
Scooby

Yeah, that's the gripe I have, too. He spent years-upon-years mocking and holding two-fingers up at British justice, yet, comes crying back for NHS treatment once he's ill.

I have no problem with that..good healhcare belongs to everyone. It is a basic human right. And despite of any politicial or religious views or what crimes you have done or havent done in the past - good healthcare is a basic human right and it belongs to everyone, - and yeah - criminals too. Everyone deserves health care, and besides ....

British justice system is one thing and health care is another, if you dont like say..prime minister or monarchy or your local judge or lawyers or whatever..it should have nothing to do with healthcare issues, none whoatsoever. Freedom of speech and healhcare are basic human rights and nothing more, nothing less. And countries that cant provide a good healthcare to everyone are not civilized modern countries at all. Healhcare belongs to modern democracy.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-19 20:59 by seitan.

Date: December 19, 2013 20:59

Big Al
Yes, stoneshearted, I misunderstood you. However, I do not lack perspective and nor do I lack a sense of humour; most definitely not. I am sorry I called you 'diddums', by the way. I think I should stay away from the keyboard after I've had a few.

Well, it does seem that we haven't been exactly getting along lately, and I couldn't quite figure out why, so thanks for explaining. Accepted.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 19, 2013 21:00

seitan
Freedom of speech and healhcare are basic human rights and nothing more, nothing less.

Only in places where human rights are supposedly observed.

Date: December 19, 2013 21:02

stonehearted

Well, it does seem that we haven't been exactly getting along lately, and I couldn't quite figure out why, so thanks for explaining. Accepted.

Have we had another tiff, elsewhere? OK, clean start for you and me!

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 19, 2013 21:04

seitan
Big Al
Scooby

I have no problem with that..good healhcare belongs to everyone. It is a basic human right. And despite of any politicial or religious views or what crimes you have done or havent done in the past - good healthcare is a basic human right and it belongs to everyone, - and yeah - criminals too. Everyone deserves health care, and besides ....

British justice system is one thing and health care is another, if you dont like say..prime minister or monarchy or your local judge or lawyers or whatever..it should have nothing to do with healthcare issues, none whoatsoever. Freedom of speech and healhcare are basic human rights and nothing more, nothing less. And countries that cant provide a good healthcare to everyone are not civilized modern countries at all. Healhcare belongs to modern democracy.

Biggs returned to the UK in 2001 and was immediately imprisoned. He was only released on "compassionate grounds" in 2009.
[en.wikipedia.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: December 19, 2013 21:07

seitan

Well, I am proud of our National Health Service and as a British citizen, Biggs had an entitlement to it. Thankfully, upon his return, he received at least part of it At Her Majesty's Pleasure.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: December 19, 2013 21:35

Silver Dagger
Notorious British Great Train robber Ronnie Biggs, who made a record with Sex Pistols' Steve Jones and Paul Cook has died.

[news.sky.com]

One of my fav Pistols songs, crackin' rock n roll.

Biggs was a crook, but let's keep things in proportion.. a VERY minor crook compared to a not unsubstantial number of UK Politicians who have enacted and advocated illegal wars and other Foreign Policies resulting in the unnecessary deaths of 100,000s of people over the decades.

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: December 19, 2013 22:22

RIP Ronnie

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2042
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home