Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re: Sgt. Pepper vs Their Satanic Majesties Request
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 25, 2011 17:39

lsbz
StonesTod
i never said or suggested that in the first place.

Then what did you mean with opinions vary, but yours would certainly be in the distinct minority.like maybe 1% of musicians, critics and fans. so that makes you very special.?! IMO that rubbish, based on nothing. A fascist way of formulating your opinion; in fact its no opinion at all; just a load of suggestive crap.

lighten up, man. jeezus. if you'd bother to read what my comment was in response to - you'd see that i was suggesting a very small number of fans/critics/musicians would agree that there are but two good songs on the album. you didn't even cite day in the life as one of the good songs - and that's a song that has time and again been voted as perhaps the greatest song of its era....

keep cool, dude, and please read before responding?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-25 17:40 by StonesTod.

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: February 25, 2011 17:43

StonesTod
lsbz
StonesTod

Then what did you mean with opinions vary, but yours would certainly be in the distinct minority.like maybe 1% of musicians, critics and fans. so that makes you very special.?! IMO that rubbish, based on nothing. A fascist way of formulating your opinion; in fact its no opinion at all; just a load of suggestive crap.

lighten up, man. jeezus. if you'd bother to read what my comment was in response to - you'd see that i was suggesting a very small number of fans/critics/musicians would agree that there are but two good songs on the album.

So if 99% of people think a song is good, StonesTod also think it's good?! Great spine, man.

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: February 25, 2011 17:46

Easy, people.... relax...
Let's focus on those two albums. Nothing more. No need to hate or to argue. ;-)

Date: February 25, 2011 17:49

StonesTod
lsbz
StonesTod
lsbz
StonesTod

lighten up, man. jeezus. if you'd bother to read what my comment was in response to - you'd see that i was suggesting a very small number of fans/critics/musicians would agree that there are but two good songs on the album.

So if 99% of people think a song is good, StonesTod also think it's good?! Great spine, man.

lemme guess - you weren't the captain of your debate team in high school? didn't think so....

Complaint filed for denigrating off-topic debating.

Date: February 25, 2011 17:50

DiamondDog7
Easy, people.... relax...
Let's focus on those two albums. Nothing more. No need to hate or to argue. ;-)

just a friendly debate as far as i'm concerned, DD...or attempt at a debate, anyway

Date: February 25, 2011 17:51

lsbz
StonesTod
lsbz
StonesTod
lsbz
StonesTod

lemme guess - you weren't the captain of your debate team in high school? didn't think so....

Complaint filed for denigrating off-topic debating.

yay. i'm calling my daddy.

Posted by: BBrownlie ()
Date: February 25, 2011 19:20

Okay, this is just my opinion, not something written in concrete fact.

I like both these albums. I see influences on both of them form various artists and genres.

I don't think 'Pet Sounds' was the overall influence of music post 1966. That gives it too much credit. I believe it's one of the finest albums ever released.

My favorite Beatles albums are 'Rubber Soul', 'Revolver' and 'The White Album'. Big deal. When any artist can make 13 albums that I can like in varying degree, it doesn't really matter what my top three are because I will like the rest of those 13 albums as well.

'Pepper' is amazing. Yeah, it started out with a theme, the pretend band concept, that fizzled out. Hell, even John admitted that. It's pretty obvious as well. The flow of the album, to me, musically, still gives credence to a theme, because it just sounds right. Many of the characters in the songs seems to be suffering from varying degrees of loneliness, a theme first explored on 'Revolver', or, maybe even earlier if you'd like.

The Stones did write and perform material that fell within the sub-genres of folk, pop, rock, blues, soul, whatever. I like it and can see how they wrote lyrics that conrasted with the music that cxaccompanied the lyrics. 'Under My Thumb' sounds like soft rock, even pop, but the lyrics bring a totally new approach to what can be said in such a musical setting.

'TSMR' is an album I like a lot. I don't need to compare it to 'Pepper' other than it's of the same time and the fact that the two groups were at the top of both the British and American musical scenes. So, yeah, to me, it's not as good as 'Pepper', but I don't need to make that comparison so as not being able to enjoy the album for what it is. I'vw gotten to the point where I don't care if all the songs are top-notch; I like them. Even 'Gomper'. I don't even see 'Sing This All Together (See What Happens)' as a waste of space.

1966-1969, what a great time for music overall.

Date: February 25, 2011 19:28

it was an amazing era - even relatively talent-challenged people who had no business being in the business were making some incredible music...there was just something in the air, or water, or pipebowl, or something....

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 25, 2011 19:59

StonesTod
mtaylor
StonesTod
an equal thing? who said that?
You said that. Probably you didn't know what you were talking about. Just being contrary to god and everybody. Bad mood day.

ok - i wish you a better mood tomorrow. thank you for participating today, mood and all....
You're in a bad mood clown, I see you also today harassing other people on this board. (If they don't agree with you).
By the way, look what George Martin wrote: Considering that Beatles producer George Martin said, in an interview with Rolling Stone magazine in the early ’70s, “Without Pet Sounds, Sgt. Pepper wouldn’t have happened … Pepper was an attempt to equal Pet Sounds and Zappa's song about Beatles: You're in the flower power thing because of the money, not because of the case.
The only reason Sgt. Pepper got so much more popular than any other record at that time was because of Beatles "Nice behaviour attitude" / "Macca's Goofy look".

Date: February 25, 2011 20:05

hey - that's MISTER Clown to you! and don't forget it!

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: February 25, 2011 20:30

To me, Satanic sounds more influenced by (or at least more like) early Pink Floyd than the Beatles.

Anyway, it's more erratic in quality than either Pepper or Piper but it's high points are as high as theirs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-25 20:31 by Squiggle.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: February 25, 2011 20:41

Greenblues

Taking in all aspects covered by this remarkable album, especially it's impact at the time, I guess it's not overrated. It's just been played far too often, leading many to praise the "hidden treasures" of Their Satanic Majesties instead.

You make a very good point here, Greenblues.

There is an inclination when an album is regarded as highly as 'Sgt Pepper' to seek justification when listening, far more than if an album is considered good or perhaps great, but within the context of many albums that are also considered great. Somehow in making 'Sgt Pepper' an exception in placing it in such an exalted position, one perhaps is more prone to look at it through much more meticulous eyes, or perhaps ears. Maybe the temptation is to be more critical of 'Sgt Pepper', but looking at the Stones less generously recieved 'Satanic Majesties', leads one to adopt a much more generous spirit, because naturally expectations are lower.

Date: February 25, 2011 20:57

The trouble with George Martin or anyone involved with 'Pepper' making such a statement is that it is too general and doesn't clearly define the result.

Yes, The Beatles were inlfuenced and would try to top what came before. Yes, 'Pet Sounds' had a great effect on a lot of English artists, as did Zappa, Pink floyd, etc.

The end result though is that trying to equal 'Pet Sounds' was a starting point, not the end-all and be-all that became 'Pepper'.

One could say that 'Pet Sounds' was Brian's melancholy tribute to love and the "place" he found himself at that age and in that time.

'Pepper' was not that. As I stated, each song seemed to address a kind of loneliness found in each character. The songs also seemed to be suggesting a philosophical bent; a simplistic one, but like the film(s) 'The Matrix', something interesting to exlore.

Also, the music was different. 'Pet Sounds' had a California soft rock approach that benefitted the lyrics. Even the upbeat songs were considstewnt instrumentally with the ballads. For me, the exception was "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" which stood out because it was more orchestrated and the instruments filled more space sounding majestic.

'Pepper' was instrumentally adventurous all over the place. I wouldn't say it was totally new, but it was amazing, intertesting and different for its time.

I admit the Beatles have always had good will directed towards them and their music, but considering the Queen of England herself commented "The Beatles are turning awfully funny" and fans and others alike were questioning their image from the single "Penny Lane"/"Strawberry Fields Forever" onward, I don't think it can generally be construed as "nice behavior".

The Stones may be considered rough and The Beatles soft, but it's not that clear cut. Just like the arguement that Paul was the softie and John the rocker. It's just not that definitive.

Date: February 25, 2011 21:30

Edward Twining
Greenblues

Taking in all aspects covered by this remarkable album, especially it's impact at the time, I guess it's not overrated. It's just been played far too often, leading many to praise the "hidden treasures" of Their Satanic Majesties instead.

You make a very good point here, Greenblues.

There is an inclination when an album is regarded as highly as 'Sgt Pepper' to seek justification when listening, far more than if an album is considered good or perhaps great, but within the context of many albums that are also considered great. Somehow in making 'Sgt Pepper' an exception in placing it in such an exalted position, one perhaps is more prone to look at it through much more meticulous eyes, or perhaps ears. Maybe the temptation is to be more critical of 'Sgt Pepper', but looking at the Stones less generously recieved 'Satanic Majesties', leads one to adopt a much more generous spirit, because naturally expectations are lower.

yeah - but something doesn't get a reputation based on reputation - it (peppers) got billed as a significant/transcendent album for very valid reasons presumably.
i know my mother wasn't listening to any hype when she bought this album back in the day and tried to explain its significance to me. she was right then and she was right now, imo....

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: February 25, 2011 22:50

StonesTod

yeah - but something doesn't get a reputation based on reputation - it (peppers) got billed as a significant/transcendent album for very valid reasons presumably.
i know my mother wasn't listening to any hype when she bought this album back in the day and tried to explain its significance to me. she was right then and she was right now, imo....

Do you believe then that 'Sgt Pepper' is the Beatles best album then, StonesTod ?

Date: February 25, 2011 22:53

Edward Twining
StonesTod

Do you believe then that 'Sgt Pepper' is the Beatles best album then, StonesTod ?

most important for sure, but best? probably not...i'd go with abbey road if i had to pick a best. my favorite is probably rubber soul.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 25, 2011 23:10

StonesTod
Edward Twining
StonesTod

most important for sure, but best? probably not...i'd go with abbey road if i had to pick a best. my favorite is probably rubber soul.

Agree with Abbey Road being the best, StonesTod - but I reckon I must be one of the few who has Let It Be as a favourite Beatles album

Date: February 25, 2011 23:14

Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Edward Twining
StonesTod

Agree with Abbey Road being the best, StonesTod - but I reckon I must be one of the few who has Let It Be as a favourite Beatles album

let it be is definitely my fave fab four song - and actually the album may or may not be my fave, but as i think about it, it probably gets more play from me than even rubber soul, so maybe it is my fave on that basis alone....these things can be so confusing unless you keep a scorecard handy....

Date: February 25, 2011 23:21

StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Edward Twining
StonesTod

let it be is definitely my fave fab four song - and actually the album may or may not be my fave, but as i think about it, it probably gets more play from me than even rubber soul, so maybe it is my fave on that basis alone....these things can be so confusing unless you keep a scorecard handy....

It's Let It Be, For You Blue, The Long And Winding Road plus Accross The Universe that turns Let It Be into such a one of a kind album for me. But the "fillers" are also important....as they glue it all together - wouldn't be without any one of them. I get the feeling Let It Be is being looked upon as the worst Beatles albums, by some of the Beatles experts....never could understand why. Just like Cohen's "Death Of A Ladies Man".....it's his best, but many "into it" think the opposite - as it features such a different mood than the records that made them so big

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-25 23:47 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: February 25, 2011 23:50

Beatles x Stones. It´s a new Thread. grinning smiley

Date: February 25, 2011 23:53

Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Edward Twining
StonesTod

It's Let It Be, For You Blue, The Long And Winding Road plus Accross The Universe that turns Let It Be into such a one of a kind album for me. But the "fillers" are also important....as they glue it all together - wouldn't be without any one of them. I get the feeling Let It Be is being looked upon as the worst Beatles albums, by some of the Beatles experts....never could understand why. Just like Cohen's "Death Of A Ladies Man".....it's his best, but many "into it" think the opposite - as it features such a different mood than the records that made them so big

LIB is a fun listen and rewarding record, no doubt about it.

i think it was earlier in this thread some folks were talking about best debut albums - i think it that abbey road is the greatest swan song album of all time....can't really even think of a decent contender for that title....

Date: February 25, 2011 23:55

StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Edward Twining
StonesTod

i think it was earlier in this thread some folks were talking about best debut albums - i think it that abbey road is the greatest swan song album of all time....can't really even think of a decent contender for that title....

Time Out of Mind could have been - but Dylan went on going
Love & Theft is nearly as good tho' but wouldn't been a swan song album in the same way

Date: February 26, 2011 00:04

BBrownlie
The end result though is that trying to equal 'Pet Sounds' was a starting point, not the end-all and be-all that became 'Pepper'.

If you start from a point of trying to "equal" something else, that's definitely not good. Artists should do their own thing.

BBrownlie
One could say that 'Pet Sounds' was Brian's melancholy tribute to love and the "place" he found himself at that age and in that time.

I think it's deeper than that. It's about the possibilities and impossibilities of male/female love relationships, and that's why it's more relevant than Pepper. Rubber Soul was sort of about that, and that's why it is the best Beatles album.

Date: February 26, 2011 00:07

Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Edward Twining
StonesTod

Love & Theft is nearly as good tho' but wouldn't been a swan song album in the same way

yeah - sometimes you gotta know when to call it a career. his last/latest album left me very cold...his muse has clearly hit another lull.....

Date: February 26, 2011 00:18

StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Edward Twining
StonesTod

yeah - sometimes you gotta know when to call it a career. his last/latest album left me very cold...his muse has clearly hit another lull.....

Well I'm very glad he did Love & Theft and also for keeping on touring in 2001 and 2002. Then it went downhill - untill he got a new spark as Modern Times came out. But his last one..... don't think I've put it on more than a handful of times; there are 2 great tracks there, Life Is Hard and Forgetful Heart - but that's nearly it. Live performances of the last 5 years are well...very repetitive. But I can't say that I wish he'd quit....there's always a certain chance of a new spark when it comes Dylan - allthough time is quickly running out now

Date: February 26, 2011 00:24

Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Edward Twining
StonesTod

Well I'm very glad he did Love & Theft and also for keeping on touring in 2001 and 2002. Then it went downhill - untill he got a new spark as Modern Times came out. But his last one..... don't think I've put it on more than a handful of times; there are 2 great tracks there, Life Is Hard and Forgetful Heart - but that's nearly it. Live performances of the last 5 years are well...very repetitive. But I can't say that I wish he'd quit....there's always a certain chance of a new spark when it comes Dylan - allthough time is quickly running out now

it got to be you expected him to reinvent himself every 3-4 years...some inventions worked, some didn't...but he's been mired in a rut for the better part of a decade now and i just don't see that changing, sad to say....

Date: February 26, 2011 00:34

StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Edward Twining
StonesTod

it got to be you expected him to reinvent himself every 3-4 years...some inventions worked, some didn't...but he's been mired in a rut for the better part of a decade now and i just don't see that changing, sad to say....

Well I do find it very hard to believe at this time, I agree, but I wouldn't say that everything after Love & Theft was a waste - Modern Times' a very fine album; and there's also some nuggets on the Tell Tale Signs album which I wouldn't be without. I remember you too being real enthustiatic about his European concerts of 2007. And so was I, at the time. It's not something one goes back to on ones stereo player though....not for me. Very few concerts after 2005 are worth listening to again and again.

Date: February 26, 2011 01:16

isbz,

Beginning a project by either being inspired to create something "as good" or "equal" or "to top" is not necessarily a bad place to begin.

I'm not talking about copying.

I don't think 'Pet Sounds' is more relevant than 'Pepper' because of some thematic reason overshadowing another. If you agree that loneliness seems to be pervasive throughout 'Pepper', to me, that is just as strong an emotion as one you feel makes 'Pet Sounds' the better recording. I think they are both pretty equal on the emotional scale. I come away from both recordings feeling varying degrees of sadness (not a whiny, mopey kind of sadness, either) and thinking how what I get from these albums relates to myself.

Personally, yes, I think 'Pepper' is the better recording and album, but I don't think of that when I choose to listen and am listening to these albums.

Date: February 26, 2011 01:30

BBrownlie
If you agree that loneliness seems to be pervasive throughout 'Pepper', to me, that is just as strong an emotion as one you feel makes 'Pet Sounds' the better recording. I think they are both pretty equal on the emotional scale.

Pepper feels much thought up to me. Loneliness in a conceptual way; not really my thing anyway. The Beach Boys were more mature sounding and talking about real life.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-26 02:13 by lsbz.

Date: February 26, 2011 08:33

I'll agree to disagree as I feel the opposite even with my love of The Beach Boys. The Beatles have always done more for me than The Beach Boys, but again, The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Elvis Costello, Elton John, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, Dylan, The Who, Stevie Wonder, Neil Young, and Zappa are pretty much my top ten, anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-26 08:34 by BBrownlie.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2039
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home