Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT- John Lennon gone 33 years
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 8, 2013 11:00

Today marks the anniversary that I dread every year. Remember that day the same way people talk about the Kennedy assassination. Would have been great to have him playing music these days. Wonder what he would of had to say. I'm sure it would be great. Raise a glass to John today people.smileys with beer

Re: OT- John Lennon gone 33 years
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 8, 2013 11:02

For John! smileys with beer

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: December 8, 2013 11:14

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 8, 2013 11:17

It's a little hard to muster up a lot of sadness this year after just reliving the 50th anniversary of Kennedy's murder. After seeing so many killed who were seeking peace I worry about the Pope.

Date: December 8, 2013 11:57

24FPS I can empathize with your position. As I was typing this I was also thinking of Mandela. If I can say anything about the state of humanity I would say there are still lots of good people in the world, though sometimes hard to find. Also, I would say don't let evil get close to you though it's a difficult feat. I feel that I can speak my mind here on iorr because I'm sure most everyone has good intentions and after all we love Rock and Roll. That's a good thing. Keep the faith!

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: December 8, 2013 17:19

Remember that day well, a sad and lonesome day it was. What could have happened if he lived?

"Too soon gone."

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 8, 2013 18:55

Ronnie posted on Facebook a great pic of Lennon singing, "remembering Lennon..."

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: December 8, 2013 19:19

What might have been?
Remember stopping at the Dakota Building after seeing BB King play at his place in NY and taking a walk back to Harlem alongside Central Park.
Either 2000 or 2005 and candles and singing going on there. Candles alight in the window of the Lennon apartment.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: December 8, 2013 19:28

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: December 8, 2013 20:42

Photo by Teafoe.
London/2009

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: December 8, 2013 20:51

I didn't hear a whole lot about the anniversary this year. I still remember running down the stairs and telling my parents when I heard the news come over the radio.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 8, 2013 23:43

I'd rather remember birthdays than deathdays. I get no pleasure from ruminating and brooding over the end of something.

Regarding the comments above on memories of the Kennedy assassination, it is ironic how the Beatles' emergence in the U.S. was exquisitely timed to bring the country out of its doldrums, and it has been written many times of how they might not have had the same impact had they arrived any later or sooner--in fact, the first 3 Beatles singles released in the U.S., including the eventual #1 She Loves You, all flopped upon their initial release in 1963. Their first U.S. single Please Please Me, released on the Vee-Jay label, failed to make the U.S. Billboard top 100 singles chart, but made it to #35 on Chicago's WLS radio music survey in March, selling a total of 7,500 copies.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 8, 2013 23:55

24FPS
... I worry about the Pope.

Worry about the abused kids he and his organisation sweep under the carpet.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 9, 2013 03:28

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-09 03:30 by tatters.

Date: December 9, 2013 03:39

Date: December 9, 2013 03:48

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: December 9, 2013 04:59

tatters

There's a lot of in your face anger in that photograph, like Jackie Kennedy not changing that pink suit. Can you imagine having that happen right next to you? Horrible.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: December 9, 2013 06:50

frankotero
Today marks the anniversary that I dread every year. Remember that day the same way people talk about the Kennedy assassination. Would have been great to have him playing music these days. Wonder what he would of had to say. I'm sure it would be great. Raise a glass to John today people.smileys with beer

I will never in a million years understand how someone feels this way about the death of someone they don't even know. You are obviously lacking something in your life and obviously have been for a long time..

Sorry.

Date: December 9, 2013 08:25

^ At least he's not lacking human empathy, like you.

Date: December 9, 2013 08:59

His Majesty
24FPS

Well, this pope appears to be different. That is why I worry about him. Coincidence or not, it only appears the ones who get shot and killed are the ones who push for peace and change.

Date: December 9, 2013 09:03

stanlove
frankotero

I will never in a million years understand how someone feels this way about the death of someone they don't even know. You are obviously lacking something in your life and obviously have been for a long time..

Sorry.

It's not that hard to understand. John Lennon certainly gave me a lot more joy than most people I know. And he was someone I could identify with, a quirky only child. And the fact that his 1970s interviews show him to be as full of shit as anyone, helped pull him down from that pedestal all the Beatles had been put on.

I was deeply affected by Robert Kennedy's assassination. There has been nothing like him since. All of them are gray suited grafters. But I don't like candles underneath portraits of Lennon or RFK and worship them. But I can certainly feel deeply about the loss of what they represented.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 9, 2013 09:04

24FPS
His Majesty
24FPS

Well, this pope appears to be different. That is why I worry about him. Coincidence or not, it only appears the ones who get shot and killed are the ones who push for peace and change.

This is an unrelated comment. The Ballad of John and Yoko is one of the greatest R & R Songs.

Date: December 9, 2013 10:16

24FPS
John Lennon was someone I could identify with, a quirky only child.

John Lennon's half-sisters Julia and Jacqueline in 1958.

Julia Baird: "John was devastated when our mother died, he was utterly devoted to her."

"Lennon's sister: John was not abandoned" story at: [www.clickliverpool.com]

"Ingrid Pedersen Lennon: The true story of John Lennon's 'lost' sister Victoria" story at: [www.examiner.com]

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 9, 2013 14:01

John Lennon-Stand By Me

Date: December 9, 2013 16:18

Stonehearted- thanks for the support, and I always enjoy your posts. Incidentally I agree with your take on celebrating Birthdays rather than death days, this is more a day of remembrance for me mostly because the shock of it and where I was in my lifetime, plus John just had a new album and there was talk of a tour. Like many others I was very excited about the return of John Lennon.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: December 9, 2013 21:26

stonehearted
I'd rather remember birthdays than deathdays.

Raise a glass (of mineral water) to Jim Morrison then, who would have turned 70 on December 8.

P.S. Thank you stonehearted for the info on John's sisters. You can see the resemblance with Julia. "My mother was a musical genius, she played the piano, the banjo, the ukulele and the accordian.She taught John all these things. I was there while she was teaching him and he hung on every word she said." Very interesting.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-09 21:33 by Claire_M.

Date: December 9, 2013 21:42

^ I actually did listen to the first three Doors albums on the evening of December 8, the recently remastered and expanded versions. Today I'll listen to some Lennon and McCartney stuff, demos and finished albums from around 1980 or so, or maybe even the alternate and expanded Imagine and Ram albums (bootlegs of course), I haven't really decided. But it wasn't Jim's birthday that got me listening to those, I just happened to give them a spin.

I do recall John's half-sister Julia being interviewed about John some years back, so I wanted to clarify that he in fact did have siblings growing up. But one easily forgets this because of his self-absorption (more a by-product of being a thoughtful artist) and the somewhat precious way he carried his pain, which made him seem like an only child, and of course we only heard him tell stories of his Aunt Mimi and his late mother and erstwhile father, so it's a fact that is easily and often overlooked.

Anyway, whether John and Jim had both lived, there would be no possibility of either Beatles or Doors going into 2014, what with George and Ray both gone.

All things must pass indeed....

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 10, 2013 00:21

stanlove

Sorry.

WTF??

"Sorry??"

"You are obviously lacking something in your life and obviously have been for a long time.."

What's obvious is that you lack tact...and are being totally ironic in putting the word "love" anywhere near your name.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 10, 2013 00:24

You know it just struck me....he's been gone almost twice as long as the public actually 'knew' him.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 10, 2013 00:37

treaclefingers
You know it just struck me....he's been gone almost twice as long as the public actually 'knew' him.

Time is a strange thing when you get older....it took me ages to get 18 to drive my own car........... and that was just 40 years ago

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1446
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home