Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Van Halen & Eruption
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 21, 2011 21:31

I'm not a Van Halen fan as such and know very little of their music, but there are aspects of this live performance that I fiind to be quite amazing. I especially like the tapping-effect that starts around the 07:12 point. Eddie achieved some interesting sounds to say the least.

What does everyone here think? Does it get you salivating or do you switch-off?

Re: OT: Van Halen & Eruption
Posted by: Tate ()
Date: February 21, 2011 21:42

Spinal Tap. That's what comes to mind.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 21, 2011 22:30

I liked van Halen with his own band, great player, clearly Hendrix influenced, and an innovator..
A pitty shredders are often playing pentatonics, which makes it boring on the long term.
A matter of taste of course.

Imo this shredder makes more sense harmonically..even if it's pentatonics mainly....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-21 23:08 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 21, 2011 22:49

Way too close to The Trans-Siberian Orchestra for my liking, but pretty sure Eddie needed to clean up by the time he finished.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: February 21, 2011 22:49

As far as that style of playing goes in general, Eddie's the only one I like. Except for him, I can't stand it at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-22 04:41 by bustedtrousers.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 21, 2011 23:36

Well thats 10 minutes of my life gone watch someone in dungerees twiddle.

Geez that was boring....

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: February 22, 2011 00:37

This is a perfect example of 'wanking' This is not noodling.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 22, 2011 00:43

After watching this I start to like Jeff Beck....

Mathijs

Date: February 22, 2011 00:47

Good Boy. One is never too old to learn.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 22, 2011 00:56

Eddie Van Halen kind of ushered in that whole fingering solo thing that always sounded like someone masturbating, like a 14-year old boy masturbating in his room, just frenetic and pointless wanking. Not my thing, but I did like Van Halen, and EVH was a great guitarist when he just played. I prefer songs like "Jamie's Crying", "Panama", "Dance the Night Away", "Runnin With the Devil", "Cradle Will Rock" etc... because it shows his melodicism and that's what set him apart from the rest in that era.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-22 00:59 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 22, 2011 02:50

I kinda like VH.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: February 22, 2011 03:04

Van Halen is a brilliant guitar player with great sound and playing technic.He was perfect within confines of a rock song.He hardly ever played an unecessesary note in VH's heyday.Unfortunately, Van Halen as a band seriously lacked in the sonwriting department.They had sublime riffs to work with but they didn't have a songwriting genius so to speak, who could elevate them to a whole different level, someone like Mick or Pete Townshend.
As for Eruption it's just showing off.Bear in mind that that kind of playing was quite innovative for that time and seemed like a pleasant enough novelty.Unfortunately it sparked a whole generation of hair-flailing guitar w-nkers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-22 03:05 by stones_serb.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 22, 2011 03:13

stones_serb
Van Halen is a brilliant guitar player with great sound and playing technic.He was perfect within confines of a rock song.He hardly ever played an unecessesary note in VH's heyday.Unfortunately, Van Halen as a band seriously lacked in the sonwriting department.They had sublime riffs to work with but they didn't have a songwriting genius so to speak, who could elevate them to a whole different level, someone like Mick or Pete Townshend.
As for Eruption it's just showing off.Bear in mind that that kind of playing was quite innovative for that time and seemed like a pleasant enough novelty.Unfortunately it sparked a whole generation of hair-flailing guitar w-nkers

Agree 100%. The other 3 guys were pretty good at what they did too. Just fun music for a fun time.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: February 22, 2011 03:21

I actually think DLR added a humor, and wit, which is another thing that set them apart from the usual "rock" of that time.
Songs like Jamie's Crying, told from the girl's point of view, a song like Jump, or any of the earlier stuff. I think Roth is actually underrated. He made them fun, and smart-alecky. Without him, they were just another "rock" band with great riffs.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: February 22, 2011 10:12

I remember walking into a shop in Notting Hill (Virgin/Our Price?) and they were playing You Really Got me and two friends and I bought copies on the spot and when I heard Running With the Devil I was hooked. I thought the album was brilliant and still do. In fact most of the DLR stuff was good.

My only problem, and obviously this isn't Eddie's fault, is that since then most guitarists have gone for that twiddly twiddly as fast as you can guitar and I prefer the Keith, Ron, Mick T, Beck, Ronson etc sound.

I honestly think that VH had a detrimental effect on heavy rock.

Date: February 22, 2011 10:41

you do all know that "eruption" was simply eddie's finger warmup exercise that the guys in the studio thought sounded cool so they added a few things so it would sound somewhat like a structured song. amazing how a simple warmup exercise (well simple to someone like EVH) became one of the most recognized and influential guitar solo's of all time

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: February 22, 2011 10:51

when i was a kid it seemed like every aspiring teenage guitarist i knew had van halen's first album and spent alot of time in their rooms trying to play eruption.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 22, 2011 11:26

Amsterdamned

Don't worry. I still prefer setting fire to my scrotum over listening to Jeff Beck.

Mathijs

Date: February 22, 2011 12:21

No SM please.grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-22 12:24 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: February 22, 2011 12:30

I discovered the tapping technique with Steve Hackett, Genesis guitarist. He plays it in Nursery Crime Giant Hogweed.

Date: February 22, 2011 13:04

Mathijs
Amsterdamned

Don't worry. I still prefer setting fire to my scrotum over listening to Jeff Beck.

Mathijs

beck is the greatest of all time

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 22, 2011 13:22

PHEW!!!....And ta think I tried ta tell Louie that Alvin Lee wanked ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: February 22, 2011 13:32

Saw them like a millions years ago opening for Black Sabbath, pretty boring. Like the song "Panama" though, it's fun.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 24, 2011 22:18

At under 2 mins, perhaps some here will prefer the sudio version! I actually quite enjoy it.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 24, 2011 23:35

Mathijs
Amsterdamned

Mathijs

DON'T do this, please! As Keith once said "rock comes from the crotch". If you become balls-less what are going to play? Joe Pass or Mel Tormé tunes? >grinning smiley<

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 24, 2011 23:55

Van Halen - proper Van Halen that is (sans Sammy or that other guy) is just fun. DLR's vocals are hilarious. Eddie's gazillionism is hilarious. It's great driving music. There's nothing to think about, it's just rock. It's not big deal. He's an awesome guitar player with what he does. And Eruption is simply mad.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: February 24, 2011 23:58

Great band (i.e., with DLR)

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: February 25, 2011 00:12

I think Clapton was told in an interview something like "EVH has said you were a big influence", and he answered "Yeah, sorry about that".
The problem with "technical" guitar playing is when these techniques become an end, and cease to be a means to express something...this one here is a good example. I think this solo on the album precedes an unbelievable bombastic "You Really Got Me" cover.

Date: February 25, 2011 01:54

skipstone
Van Halen - proper Van Halen that is (sans Sammy or that other guy) is just fun. DLR's vocals are hilarious. Eddie's gazillionism is hilarious. It's great driving music. There's nothing to think about, it's just rock. It's not big deal. He's an awesome guitar player with what he does. And Eruption is simply mad.

Good way to put it. ANd that's what I loved about DLR, the humor.
'Put my hand between by legs.....ease the seat back....'

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 25, 2011 01:58

stones78
I think this solo on the album precedes an unbelievable bombastic "You Really Got Me" cover.

Yes it does and it's fantastic - especially in the summer driving around with the windows down.

Bombastic - that's a hilarious way to put it! It's so over the top. It certainly seems like they intended it to be bombastic - they weren't just covering it, they gave it a bunch of cocaine with steroids. It's killer.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1336
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home