Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
JERKS versus ARTISTS
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 31, 2013 16:05

Whether it's Kanye West, Milley Cyrus or the late Lou Reed, I'm personally getting sick of those musicans who have to tell the world how great or special they are.

I never heard this stuff from Jimi Hendrix or Eric Clapton or Mick Jagger or Aretha Franklin, to name only a few. And I am BORED with those musicians who constantly tell the world how wonderful THEY are. And I am saddened by the idolatry of the fans, including many here on IORR, who can't just accept the music for what it is but have an overwhelming need to believe their musical heroes are wonderful people.

More and more my heroes are Picasso and Matisse who let their artistry speak for itself.

How do YOU feel?

Re: JERKS versus ARTISTS
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 31, 2013 16:11

Very good point. People laugh at me when I say I would not like to meet The Stones or any of my heroes because I feel they're probably not the type of person I would be compatible with. However I don't think it's a bad thing to have heroes or dreams. Actually it's probably very good. Rock and Roll is a great vehicle for this in my opinion.

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: October 31, 2013 16:13

frankotero
Very good point. People laugh at me when I say I would not like to meet The Stones or any of my heroes because I feel they're probably not the type of person I would be compatible with. However I don't think it's a bad thing to have heroes or dreams. Actually it's probably very good. Rock and Roll is a great vehicle for this in my opinion.
Thats what my mom has always said and i feel the same way

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 31, 2013 16:13

Just read an article by Donald Fagen. this guy is full of himself.

[articles.chicagotribune.com]

Date: October 31, 2013 16:17

There are many ways of "telling" people how good you are...

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 31, 2013 16:26

More Hot Rocks
Just read an article by Donald Fagen. this guy is full of himself.

[articles.chicagotribune.com]

I think Glenn Frey and Don Henley would also be in that category...honestly, I don't know how Joe Walsh puts up with iteye rolling smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 31, 2013 16:26

I agree stonesrule, it can get tiresome and annoying when artists go on and on about how wonderful they are. But, I think it's not uncommon to see talent paired with ego. I think it becomes sickening, as you put it, when their ego makes then think they are above mortal men and they don't need to treat others with kindness and consideration.

As for the bragging about how wonderful they are, that only makes me think that they are insecure and have pathetically little self esteeem underneath their talent.

I've never gotten the impression the Stones are like that, although Mick and Keith have certainly had their moments of jerkiness. I wouldn't mind meeting any of the Stones and wouldn't be dissappointed no matter what they are like. But, then I never expect perfection from anyone and am generally not bothered by prickly personalities, having been accused occasionally of being a pain in the ass myself. cool smiley

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 31, 2013 16:30

Ted Nugent would be on top of the list also.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: October 31, 2013 16:35

I agree that is is somewhat of a requirement to have a bit of an "I can't do no wrong" attitude for an artist. It takes a lot of balls to put yourself our there knowing that you might be criticized for it and still not care. I wish I had that gene sometimes.

As I'm typing this, I guess I'm thinking that quality is more self confidence than ego, although I do think they're somewhat intertwined.

I can deal with self confidence, but cocky makes me nauseous.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 31, 2013 16:46

I never want to meet my musical heroes, because they're my MUSICAL heroes, I don't have to like them as people or want any personal interaction to put me off the music. (I did meet one of my heroes, twice, first time great, second time not so much, and I felt my interest in his music slipping away, which was ridiculous.)

One of my favorite writers is Nabokov, who was apparently an arrogant bastard--I'm so glad I didn't meet him.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 31, 2013 16:46

Athletes are even more so.

Date: October 31, 2013 16:50

Elmo Lewis
Athletes are even more so.

At least most rock stars don't tend to talk about themselves in the third person.

Date: October 31, 2013 16:53

stonesrule
...More and more my heroes are Picasso and Matisse who let their artistry speak for itself.

"My mother said to me, ‘If you are a soldier, you will become a general. If you are a monk, you will become the Pope.’ Instead, I was a painter, and became Picasso." —Pablo Picasso

I agree with CindyC - artists (not "stars" ), need a level of self-belief that is extra-human in order to do what they do. True artists are exploring uncharted territory and need the courage of an astronaut.

Also, I find it pretty reductionist to think that the way artists behave in public/interact with the media is somehow telling with regard to the type of people they are. Lou Reed was playing "Lou Reed" a good deal of the time. The real Lou Reed wasn't for us/reporters/critics to consume. The "real" Lou Reed was saved for the people he felt deserved it, the people he loved.

...and, shit, you don't have to like these people - if they put you off so much with their arrogance, or if the glory of their work doesn't outweigh the odiousness of their attitudes, ignore them and they'll go away. True arrogance is emboldened by adoration and in its absence, the arrogance withers; whereas, true artists will do their work "with or without the airplay" (to quote Nas), with courage and the conviction that what they are doing is divine. Call it what you will.

EDITED for an inadvertant emoticon.

EDITED for grammar/spelling

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-31 17:43 by The Ghost Of Good taste.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 31, 2013 17:23

Isnt pretty much everyone (in someone's opinion) full of themselves these days?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 31, 2013 17:24

Well said, Ghost.

It always amazes me how well people think they know celebrities and have the urge to judge them based on what they see or read in fragmented news-items.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-31 17:25 by Koen.

Date: October 31, 2013 18:07

The lack of humility and the sense of entitlement that some of the jerks have is staggering.

I feel better now that I've read the above posts...I was beginning to think of myself as a "cranky, judgemental bitch."

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: October 31, 2013 18:19

I'm not sure if this was posted on the RIP Lou Reed thread, but this interview gives a different side to Reed. He comes across probably more as I'd imagine he really was here as opposed to his public "persona".

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 31, 2013 18:23

Humility, good sportsmanship, etc. may seem like outdated ideas, but they are sadly missed in our world today.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 31, 2013 18:30

The Ghost Of Good taste
I agree with CindyC - artists (not "stars" ), need a level of self-belief that is extra-human in order to do what they do.
True artists are exploring uncharted territory and need the courage of an astronaut.

What Cindy & Ghost said.
And latebloomer too.
Why be disappointed when you meet someone who's had extraordinary achievements and experiences?
Of course they might not be what you expected, but why should they? The rest of us aren't either.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 31, 2013 18:37

Lennon is my Hero! No jerk in that guy....smileys with beer

Date: October 31, 2013 18:59

I am happy to say that I knew John Lennon and he definitely was NOT a jerk.

True he did some dumb stuff, like the rest of us, but essentially a good human being.

I have mixed feelings about Yoko, but at least she has never put her ass on display ala Kim Kardashian.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 31, 2013 19:05

stonesrule

True he did some dumb stuff, like the rest of us, but essentially a good human being.

I have mixed feelings about Yoko, but at least she has never put her ass on display ala Kim Kardashian.

True, but she did show her front self quite plainly. grinning smiley

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 31, 2013 19:09

I think sadly the great artists who aren't jerks are most likely the exceptions that prove the rule..

Date: October 31, 2013 19:28

with sssoul

Why be disappointed when you meet someone who's had extraordinary achievements and experiences?
Of course they might not be what you expected, but why should they? The rest of us aren't either.

Well, I think that's why people often ARE disappointed, which may not be logical but is understandable--like if someone's music meant the world to you and then they're rude to you or whatever. That's why I prefer not to meet my heroes. Let them remain the people I want/need them to be.

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: October 31, 2013 19:38

I actually like watching an occasional intrview with Ginger Baker...

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: October 31, 2013 19:43

frankotero

I could never get tired of going to The Who concerts however.... (not from the same reason) I would have preferred to gave an hour of talk with any TW fan whos intelligent and knowlegable than meeting Pete Townshend or Roger Daltry for a chit chat....

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 31, 2013 19:48

Come On
Lennon is my Hero! No jerk in that guy....smileys with beer

You have to be kidding, right? Lennon was a total prick. A complete jerk.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 31, 2013 19:59

stonesrule

Instead, she put those of other celebrities on display in a film she made before she met Lennon.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 31, 2013 20:10

Strange, I never felt this way

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: October 31, 2013 20:18

stonesrule

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 967
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home