Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Darryl Jones interview - November 19
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 19, 2013 01:12

The Rolling Stones Have Lots Of Unreleased Songs In The Vault

by Paul Cashmere on November 19, 2013

The Rolling Stones could release songs from their archive for decades if they chose. According to the band’s 20-year veteran bass player Darryl Jones there are lots of unreleased recordings in the vault.

Jones says that the two new tracks on the recent ‘GRRR’ album were the only new tracks recorded recently but going back 20 years there is a goldmine of unreleased material by the Rolling Stones. “We just worked on those two but when I think back about the recording that I have done with them over the years there is still a lot of stuff that no-one has heard,” Darryl told Noise11.com. “There is still a lot of very good stuff, ‘A Bigger Bang’ sessions, going right back to ‘Voodoo Lounge’, which was my first record. Everything that we recorded did not make it onto that record. There are some other really great pieces there”.

Darryl Jones is currently on tour in the UK with Australian supergroup The Dead Daisies and expects more Rolling Stones dates will be announced soon. “I am hoping that that is going to come soon. There are rumblings, like there always are, but I’m hoping that there’s going to be more,” he said. “I feel like the band is playing really great right now. I felt we had the momentum of the previous year. I think it’s coming together. I don’t think we’ve sounded bad since I’ve been in the band, which is actually more than 20 years since I’ve been with the band. Right now it just gels. At Hyde Park we were really pretty good I think”.

The 50 and Counting tour featured a special guest on most nights. Jones found out who the guest was the day rehearsals. “At Soundcheck was when I found out,” he said. “You’d look around and Tom Waits would be standing there and its like ‘oh I guess he’s on with us’. They may have known but that’s when I found out, pretty much at Soundcheck”.

A favourite was blues guitarist Gary Clark Jr who played on a few of the 50 and Counting shows. “Great man, really, really great,” was how Jones describes Clark. “I love how he plays the blues but there is a fresh energy to it. He is something special. I am really looking forward to hearing more from him”.

[www.noise11.com]

Re: Darryl Jones interview - November 19
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 19, 2013 01:17

“We just worked on those two but when I think back about the recording that I have done with them over the years there is still a lot of stuff that no-one has heard,” Darryl told Noise11.com.

No one?

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 19, 2013 01:47

Very nice, thanks

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: November 19, 2013 02:05

stonehearted
“We just worked on those two but when I think back about the recording that I have done with them over the years there is still a lot of stuff that no-one has heard,” Darryl told Noise11.com.

No one?
He must not know about bootlegs >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 19, 2013 03:25

Don Was was on record at the time ABB came out as saying that they finished and mixed 18 songs. Two of which were unreleased at the time but which were later issued on the expanded version of the album.

Date: November 19, 2013 03:30

^ What about the 35 or so songs Keith Richards claims they came up with around 2002, but only 4 of which appeared on Forty Licks?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 19, 2013 03:42

The last archival release I want is anything from the post-Wyman era. There's barely one or two songs worth listening to again on each album, and none from 40 Licks. It sounds bizarre to even consider wasting our time with this until 1963-1989 is totally wrung out dry.

Posted by: rocknroller ()
Date: November 19, 2013 03:50

I ran into Darryl on the street. COuldn't have been nicer.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: November 19, 2013 05:19

12FPS
There's barely one or two songs worth listening to again on each album, and none from 40 Licks. It sounds bizarre to even consider wasting our time with this until 1963-1989 is totally wrung out dry.

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Darryl: 'There are still great unreleased songs'
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 20, 2013 21:03

Re: Darryl: 'There are still great unreleased songs'
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 20, 2013 21:29

Don Was already has stated that. besides, we already knew.
jeroen

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 20, 2013 21:36

It's time to publish all this good stuff!

Date: November 20, 2013 22:24

corriecas
Don Was already has stated that. besides, we already knew.
jeroen

That they were great?

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: November 20, 2013 23:53

From what I understand from the article, the interesting part is that the band won't go back to studio and record new material. Darryl observation seems to be more like trying to give a good justification for that.

Surely that unreleased stuff can't be worse than doom&gloom and 1moreshot. And it saves Mick from having to get in touch with Keith about new recordings. All in all, it's a good solution for future releases of 'new' material.

Date: November 20, 2013 23:56

Of corse it can be worse. How often do you listen to Extreme Western Grip and Well, Well? winking smiley

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: November 21, 2013 00:01

Yes, it's all subjective smiling smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 21, 2013 01:07

Certainly an option to come up with something "new" to "justify" another US and/or European Tour, doubt it would be enough though...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 21, 2013 01:15

If these songs were written separately in different rooms inside the same house, I'd live to hear 50% of them...

Date: November 21, 2013 01:22

There was supposed to be an album of Voodoo-era outtakes released in 1999, something to have been titled Memory Motel wasn't it?

They should just release the version of Voodoo Lounge they were going to release in the first place.

No one cared that Tattoo You was mostly old material at the time, all that mattered was that it was a great sequence of songs that made for a remarkable album.

It's a perfect time for them to do another "Tattoo You" because, who knows, it might be the greatest thing they've released since, well, Tattoo You.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 21, 2013 01:48

"Memory Hotel" - all that's known about it is available here : [www.iorr.org]

"Tattoo You" was not promoted as a "leftovers" album, it only surfaced (to the general public at least) in 1989 when Mick told NME (or Melody Maker) that he was scared that people would say that they were using "old song" on TY...I'm not even sure "Worried About You" was known to have been played at the El Mocambo? None of the TY reviews I remember reading a few years later mentioned that.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: November 21, 2013 02:08

<<"Tattoo You" was not promoted as a "leftovers" album>>

Yes, we all thought it was a new album at the time--but, even now, over 30 years later, everyone still considers it as a classic original Stones album, as if there were sessions for a new album after Emotional Rescue, rather than for the collection of rarities and outtakes it is now known to be.

What I'm saying is that it won't matter if they cobble together such a collection as "Tattoo You" now--as long as it's good, re-mixed and mastered and etc. and hasn't been officially released before, it will be a hot, just the way the Exile bonus disc was received a few years ago. As far as most people were concerned, that was the first collection of "new" Rolling Stones music since ABB.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 21, 2013 02:23

Well, ha ha, Tattoo You IS a classic original album. Just because they are old songs doesn't mean they're not original!

I know what you mean but you've got to conssider that they've been cobbling together leftovers for years on a lot of albums, with the latest and last one being, to my knowledge, Undercover (had a leftover BAB song, Too Tough - recorded in 1975 as Cellophane Trousers and then revamped in 1982). TY is the only one that didn't have specific sessions for it ie a new album recording session(s).

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 21, 2013 02:42

i dont see why people make such a fuss about when a song was written or started when it eventually appears on an album.

i always thought tattoo you was from recent recording sessions to when it was released, that it wasnt dosent matter as none of the songs had been officially released before anyway.

hope the stones do more tattoo you type albums, and give unreleased songs a fresh identity rather than just being part of another album of years gone by.

if theres more in the vaults then why not open them, polish them up, add in a couple of covers, a couple of new songs and you have another album.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: November 21, 2013 03:00

Maybe they should just release a single every couple of months and leave behind the album format.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 21, 2013 03:01

Tattoo You was fine as the songs were relatively recent. The oldest was 8 years old or so - which is now the time they go between albums (and counting). Most were 2-4 years old. At least it was the same band.

Polishing up a few unfinished songs for Some Girls/Exile expanded reissues is understandable. Doing it to 40 year old pieces for 'new' studio albums is barrel scraping.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-21 03:02 by Gazza.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: November 21, 2013 03:10

buttons67
i dont see why people make such a fuss about when a song was written or started when it eventually appears on an album.

i always thought tattoo you was from recent recording sessions to when it was released, that it wasnt dosent matter as none of the songs had been officially released before anyway.

hope the stones do more tattoo you type albums, and give unreleased songs a fresh identity rather than just being part of another album of years gone by.

if theres more in the vaults then why not open them, polish them up, add in a couple of covers, a couple of new songs and you have another album.

They 'sort of' did it with Some Girls 2011 bonus disc. I wish they had released it as a stand alone album - something like the "lost 1979 studio album"...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 21, 2013 03:15

Send It To me
Maybe they should just release a single every couple of months and leave behind the album format.

Well that'd keep us chatting away wouldn't it!

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: November 21, 2013 03:37

gotdablouse

"Tattoo You" was not promoted as a "leftovers" album, it only surfaced (to the general public at least) in 1989 when Mick told NME (or Melody Maker) that he was scared that people would say that they were using "old song" on TY...I'm not even sure "Worried About You" was known to have been played at the El Mocambo? None of the TY reviews I remember reading a few years later mentioned that.

It wasn't promoted as such, but even when it was released the reviews and articles stated that the tracks on it spanned several years. I even think the Stones themselves said as much during some interviews of that period.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 21, 2013 04:10

Gazza
Tattoo You was fine as the songs were relatively recent. The oldest was 8 years old or so - which is now the time they go between albums (and counting). Most were 2-4 years old. At least it was the same band.

Polishing up a few unfinished songs for Some Girls/Exile expanded reissues is understandable. Doing it to 40 year old pieces for 'new' studio albums is barrel scraping.

That barrels been asking for a good scraping for a long time....

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 21, 2013 06:32

big4
gotdablouse

It wasn't promoted as such, but even when it was released the reviews and articles stated that the tracks on it spanned several years. I even think the Stones themselves said as much during some interviews of that period.

They didn't hide its origin but they weren't too vocal about it either. For example, the sleeve didn't contain any info of the origin of the songs or even who did contribute in them (Rollins, Taylor...) I can't even remember when I actually realized that it wasn't a 'normal' album...

- Doxa

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1687
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home