Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

(Baby) Make It Now - 'Voodoo Stew'
Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: November 12, 2013 18:36

Having not heard some VL outtakes in a long time (hadn't heard the album either, I spin the excellent 'Babylon' and 'Bigger Bang' albums frequently, but VL fell to the wayside for years) - finally got around to getting the full Voodoo Brew & Stew sets (haven't got 'Residue' yet).

I really liked some of the tunes like the jazzy "It's Funny", and especially on the 'Keith Richards' Voodoo Lounge' set the track.'Make It Now'

I've always liked 'Honest Man', 'You got it Made', 'Zip Mouth Angel' and a lot of groovy ''Zulu Fun Mixes' CD. Quite a lot of VL sessions had such promise, and I do think the album is a LOT better than it's reputation. Some awful fillers like 'Jugular', but even if looking at the first 7 or 8 tunes on the album, wonderful stuff like 'Moon is Up', 'The Worst', 'Sparks will Fly', 'Love is Strong'

The B-Sides 'The Storm' and 'Jump ontop of Me' are pretty darn good too!

Brew, Stew and Residue track-by-track: [www.rollingstonesnet.com]

Re: (Baby) Make It Now - 'Voodoo Stew'
Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: November 12, 2013 19:31

How can I go about getting a copy of that. WOuld love to hear it.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 12, 2013 19:51

i like this one, nice groove

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: November 12, 2013 21:10

Does anyone recall which track (and which set) had the hilarious Keith-Ronnie dialogue about the "rutig" (pig latin for guitar, I think), and all the talk of Beff Jeck, Tete Pownshend, "three black markers," "I didn't say anything about 'stolen,' Josephine, I said 'illegal' "?

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 12, 2013 21:24

IrelandCalling4
Having not heard some VL outtakes in a long time (hadn't heard the album either, I spin the excellent 'Babylon' and 'Bigger Bang' albums frequently, but VL fell to the wayside for years) - finally got around to getting the full Voodoo Brew & Stew sets (haven't got 'Residue' yet).

I really liked some of the tunes like the jazzy "It's Funny", and especially on the 'Keith Richards' Voodoo Lounge' set the track.'Make It Now'

I've always liked 'Honest Man', 'You got it Made', 'Zip Mouth Angel' and a lot of groovy ''Zulu Fun Mixes' CD. Quite a lot of VL sessions had such promise, and I do think the album is a LOT better than it's reputation. Some awful fillers like 'Jugular', but even if looking at the first 7 or 8 tunes on the album, wonderful stuff like 'Moon is Up', 'The Worst', 'Sparks will Fly', 'Love is Strong'

The B-Sides 'The Storm' and 'Jump ontop of Me' are pretty darn good too!

Brew, Stew and Residue track-by-track: [www.rollingstonesnet.com]

Don't forget 'You got it made'!!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 12, 2013 21:50

He didn't, it's in his list!

Yeah "Make It Now" is a wonderful Keith groove...criminal to have passed on it. "It's Funny" is good too.

@Mel Belli - don't remember that chat specifically but there is endless banter while they're overdubbing "You Got It Made"...on Voodoo Brew CD4 if memory serves so it could be there. I think Keith says "A tall order for two queers" in that dialog, hehe...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: November 12, 2013 22:57

I love Keith's overdubbing on that 2 seconds lick in New Faces as well. Hilarious grinning smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 12, 2013 23:55

seitan
i like this one, nice groove

Next time if they release a new album........skip the over produced and polished songs and release the unfinished outtakes/demos.....
To get back to the original Stones feel..................I love Mick's uncontrolled voice....just sings how it comes from his throat tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: November 13, 2013 04:45

I just bought off EBay for $80, Voodoo Brew, Stew and Residue. Not the original Vigotone boxes, but looks good for the money - I hope.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 13, 2013 15:36

Listened to Make It Now this morning. Every once in a while the riff from Alladin Story appeared, never noticed before. Very cool.....

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: November 13, 2013 15:58

I listened to it again this morn also; it would've made a great release. His "It's Funny" has such promise; beautiful jazzy music, all it needs is a more developed vocal and you'd have quite a track!

I'm compiling for i-pod the most complete 'songs' from the sets; tunes with vocals (in some kind of developed form anyway)

You Got it Made
Make it Now
Honest Man
Zip Mouth Angel
Middle of the Sea
It's Funny

- Anything I'm leaving out? (not including stuff like 'Samba' with Mick chanting^)

A lot of very good on it; some of the outtakes of 'You got me Rocking' are actually brillinat; the instrumental version with added dobro (?), the Keef version of 'Sparks will Fly' with double tracked vocals is even better than the original, and I love the Mick/Keith duet on one of the versions of 'Brand New Car'!

P.S. Still can't stand 'Jugular' in any form, one of their worst tunes methinks

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 13, 2013 17:00

IrelandCalling4
I listened to it again this morn also; it would've made a great release. His "It's Funny" has such promise; beautiful jazzy music, all it needs is a more developed vocal and you'd have quite a track!

I'm compiling for i-pod the most complete 'songs' from the sets; tunes with vocals (in some kind of developed form anyway)

You Got it Made
Make it Now
Honest Man
Zip Mouth Angel
Middle of the Sea
It's Funny

- Anything I'm leaving out? (not including stuff like 'Samba' with Mick chanting^)

A lot of very good on it; some of the outtakes of 'You got me Rocking' are actually brillinat; the instrumental version with added dobro (?), the Keef version of 'Sparks will Fly' with double tracked vocals is even better than the original, and I love the Mick/Keith duet on one of the versions of 'Brand New Car'!

P.S. Still can't stand 'Jugular' in any form, one of their worst tunes methinks

Randy Whore

Date: November 13, 2013 17:04

Honest Man sounds like a rocking version of Sweet Thing, imo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1618
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home