Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: NO SOME GIRLS DELUXE ON EAGLE ROCK RECORDS
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 19, 2011 19:41

Rocky Dijon
Kimsey is still working. I have a David Knopfler album he produced a couple years ago. However, Don Was will be producing the bonus disc for SOME GIRLS.

Rocky, every time it's a pleasure to read your news and in general you always say interesting things.
I have some questions for you.
- Have you ever heard the new versions of 'Do you think i care' and 'Fiji Jim' that Kimsey produced in 1993? I don't like the new version of 'So Young'...i think the main problem is the new vocals.
- Do you have any information about the number of songs that will be included in the bonus disc or some song title? On Place Pigalle there are so many good songs ... we hope they choose well!
Many thanks!

Date: February 19, 2011 20:18

Rocky, sorry if I'm taking advantage of your kindness, but let me ask you what informations you know about the songs (20/30??) composed during the Forty Licks sessions in Paris. I ask because I'm convinced that there are some very interesting songs from that sessions.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 20, 2011 06:06

I've never heard the 1993 version of "Fiji Jim. I don't believe it circulates among collectors. I was speculating about "Do You Think I Care" being redone. I actually like the 1993 version of "So Young" a lot. The circulating outtake was largely just the title repeated and the usual "vowel movements." I thought Jagger's new lyrics/vocals actually worked surprisingly well against the remixed and edited backing track.

I haven't heard anything about the number of songs being considered for the project. I don't think anyone has yet. The only thing I have heard is that Don Was is definitely producing and that Mick and Keith are yet again overdubbing on separate continents. I would imagine Don's involvement is contractual in overseeing the outtake projects for Universal.

As for the LICKS sessions, I think you may be confusing me with TeddyB1018 who knows Don Was and Danny Saber and has said that Saber produced sessions just prior to Don Was in 2002. He is not confusing this with the Saber sessions in 1997. Teddy has said there was some overlap in material between what Saber worked on in 2002 and what Was worked on at Guillame Tell. He said the 2002 Saber sessions are close to release-quality. Don't know if Teddy or anyone else here has heard the material, but I've only heard the official releases.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 20, 2011 07:45

GetYerAngie
Blueranger
We can with no doubt expect 'finished' tracks ala Exile's bonuses. The Stones will not present half-baked backing tracks with mumbled vocals.

I enjoy every second of the Exile bonus disc, mainly because we are pesented with finished songs.

I don't care for tracks for which I have to imagine: 'Oh, that would have sounded nice if they put a vocal on there'.

I agree with you. Aladdin story was much better when added new vocals. September sounds good! Hope we'll have it all (or most of it). I hope they will include Everything is turning gold also

Nah. Whatever they release as a Some Girls bonus disc should be a historically accurate representation of what went down at the time. That is, no 33 years later overdubs.

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: February 20, 2011 12:07

Is there more Ft. Worth video in the vault? Sure would be nice to get a BD of the entire show.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: February 20, 2011 12:30

...And the Capitol Theatre too!!

Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: February 20, 2011 12:57

My doubt about releasing officially Ft.Worth 78 video is that it follows L&G where most of the songs come from Ft.Worth as well.We know Mick pays attention to such details.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 20, 2011 13:08

Steven
Is there more Ft. Worth video in the vault? Sure would be nice to get a BD of the entire show.

The whole show was filmed for an as-yet-unreleased concert movie

Date: February 20, 2011 13:10

KRiffhard
Rocky Dijon
Kimsey is still working. I have a David Knopfler album he produced a couple years ago. However, Don Was will be producing the bonus disc for SOME GIRLS.

Rocky, every time it's a pleasure to read your news and in general you always say interesting things.
I have some questions for you.
- Have you ever heard the new versions of 'Do you think i care' and 'Fiji Jim' that Kimsey produced in 1993? I don't like the new version of 'So Young'...i think the main problem is the new vocals.
- Do you have any information about the number of songs that will be included in the bonus disc or some song title? On Place Pigalle there are so many good songs ... we hope they choose well!
Many thanks!

None of the 'new' versions from 1993 have ever circulated, apart from 'So Young'

I doubt even the Stones know at this point what will be on an expanded 'Some Girls' let alone anyone on here.

PS - to corriecas - any chance you could change the thread title? Its a bit misleading!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-20 13:11 by Gazza.

Posted by: Dayokay ()
Date: February 20, 2011 13:43

A 1978 concert on video is my number one wish! Between the King Biscuit audio, and the small amount of Fort Worth video (in terrible quality) there's enough evidence that it would be a fantastic release.

Dayo

Date: February 20, 2011 17:32

Rocky Dijon
I've never heard the 1993 version of "Fiji Jim. I don't believe it circulates among collectors. I was speculating about "Do You Think I Care" being redone. I actually like the 1993 version of "So Young" a lot. The circulating outtake was largely just the title repeated and the usual "vowel movements." I thought Jagger's new lyrics/vocals actually worked surprisingly well against the remixed and edited backing track.

I haven't heard anything about the number of songs being considered for the project. I don't think anyone has yet. The only thing I have heard is that Don Was is definitely producing and that Mick and Keith are yet again overdubbing on separate continents. I would imagine Don's involvement is contractual in overseeing the outtake projects for Universal.

As for the LICKS sessions, I think you may be confusing me with TeddyB1018 who knows Don Was and Danny Saber and has said that Saber produced sessions just prior to Don Was in 2002. He is not confusing this with the Saber sessions in 1997. Teddy has said there was some overlap in material between what Saber worked on in 2002 and what Was worked on at Guillame Tell. He said the 2002 Saber sessions are close to release-quality. Don't know if Teddy or anyone else here has heard the material, but I've only heard the official releases.

...many thanks Rocky! I hope they're overdubbing well!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 21, 2011 05:48

Gazza
I'd like a disc featuring the full length versions of many of the songs that were trimmed down for release.

The full length versions of the first four songs on the album alone clock in at around 36 minutes.

Worth mentioning also that 'Some Girls' (unlike 'Exile') has already been remastered and released by UMG with the rest of the post-1970 studio albums, so presumably they're just going to put the same version out again.

1 disc of the reissued album, 1 disc of alternate versions and 1 (hopefully two, although unlikely) of outtakes would be nice. Alternatively, a live 1978 concert for a fourth disc.
Who do you think they are, Bruce Springsteen?winking smiley

Posted by: novica ()
Date: February 21, 2011 09:27

Gazza

wow ! another unreleased concert movie !!!
WHY they do that ? rock 'n' roll circus, ladies and gentlemen...'78 ft.worth...
i mean, are they so smart,or should i say ,predictive, to stop release of something ,for reason to gain much profit by releasing it in some 20-30-40 years later in some lp-cd-dvd boxsets,knowing that hard core fans will "die" for proper release and will give last dollar for it ? if so, then they're truly bussines/money wizz...and very patient
i don't actually believe in "jagger wasn't satisfied how they sounded" explanations...having in mind ,that they could easily overdub everything...

Date: February 21, 2011 16:44

novica
Gazza

'Ladies & Gentlemen' wasn't unreleased - it came out in 1974.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 21, 2011 17:04

To Gazza: how do i change the thread???????? sorry if its misleading.
excuse,excuse.
jeroen

Date: February 21, 2011 17:25

Hi Jeroen

I think you can go into your first post and edit the 'subject' - eg 'Some Girls Deluxe' or whatever you wish.

Its not your fault that it's misleading!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: February 21, 2011 19:51

novica
Gazza

...they knew and still know what great performers they are. One of the best ever that's why.

Re: SOME GIRLS DELUXE
Date: February 27, 2011 19:45

Hi Rocky, keep us updated!
I really hope that 'Some People Tell Me' will be included on the Some Girls deluxe. I think it's a good example of the 'ancient art of weaving'!

Date: February 27, 2011 20:01

...raw and dirty, Mick's voice a la 'Streets of Love'!

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: February 27, 2011 21:08

I can see adding a live disc of maybe the Detroit show where they seem to be all fired up...playing with as much energy as the punks were in 78

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: February 27, 2011 21:20

Now I can't swear to the validity of this but I was told by someone who I've never been disapointed by in the past that THe Stones would not cough up the money to the outfit that shot Ft Worth 78 and therefore they would not turn it over. Has anyone else heard this?

Posted by: charliesgood ()
Date: February 27, 2011 23:35

Hopefully they will look to Springsteens darkness box as an example on how to do this release

Date: February 28, 2011 00:02

charliesgood
Hopefully they will look to Springsteens darkness box as an example on how to do this release

Great a package as it was, there were still some 2010 overdubs added to several of those songs. Then again, he already HAD released about seven or eight bonafide undubbed outtakes several years earlier.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: February 28, 2011 00:47

Am i the only one whos not very grazy for these releases from the vaults???
I think its a bit too late now.Exile was nice,but thats all.I don´t think they could release anything really new for us from Some girls session.Besides i´m very happy with all the bootlegs i allready have.

I still havent bought Ladies&Gentlemen either,why? because it was too late.It should have come out 10 years ago.Right when dvd´s started to come out.

I would be more interested to hear 2cd version of still life,or a complete paris-76 package on dvd.

Or even,Realease 2cd version of beggars,from this we don´t have that much material around like SG has been since album came out.

Posted by: HerMajestyBrenda ()
Date: February 28, 2011 01:15

About the overdubs:

I don't think that the Stones are releasing this material targeting solely the hardcore purist fans who own a library of bootlegs, or the scholars of recording in the second half of the 20th century, who want an untouched historical artifact. They aim beyond those small to minuscule groups, and they succeeded with Exile 2, which would not have sold so well in many countries had it been a bunch of unreleased instrumentals and raw alternate takes. This wider public now has a few "new" songs to enjoy, and not outtakes to analyze. And you know, it makes sense. As someone said, r'n'r should not be analyzed or even thought about deeply.

The success of Exile 2 is probably the reason they are even considering doing the same with Some Girls. I for one hope that they do their best to make it worth their while, so that they keep releasing more stuff. I would welcome "new" good songs, even if they had been recording over several decades. These are just r'n'r songs, not the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Date: February 28, 2011 01:17

>I don´t think they could release anything really new for us from Some girls session.

They recorded for four or five months. Ok, so there may be about 40 songs that were leftovers that have been bootlegged, but who's to say the takes we've heard are the most interesting (or complete) versions of those songs?

Plus, the sound quality on most of the Some Girls bootlegs are far from pristine.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 28, 2011 06:03

KRiffhard, the biggest and best source of info is here on IORR, BV's ROCKS OFF, or SHIDOOBEE WITH STONESDOUG. There is very little that I pick up outside of these three boards. In other words, I'm no different than you as far as connections.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 28, 2011 17:46

Gazza
Steven

Ha ha - I wondered what was odd about that Gazza - so what you said is they have yet to make it go out of print...

Of course, I know what you meant - as yet to be released. Think they filmed that and then in 1979 said "Wal, let's wait until 2011 to put it out, that'll be a good time"?

No. They probably never had intentions of releasing it.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 28, 2011 17:53

skipstone
Gazza
Steven

Ha ha - I wondered what was odd about that Gazza - so what you said is they have yet to make it go out of print...

Of course, I know what you meant - as yet to be released. Think they filmed that and then in 1979 said "Wal, let's wait until 2011 to put it out, that'll be a good time"?

No. They probably never had intentions of releasing it.

they've filmed many shows with the intent, or at least idea, of publication....the last two no security shows in san jose were video-recorded by them...many expected something would materialize from that...

someday our great, great, great grandchildren will have the opportunity to watch some of these, but they won't because they won't even know who the rolling stones were....

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: February 28, 2011 17:59

Useless. Think about the gems we had opportunity to get at last. Do you care now you got them ?
the chase is better than the catch.
However a few would deserve a release. You know them.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1313
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home