Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mick is still the man..
Posted by: sonyzzz ()
Date: February 14, 2011 15:14

Mick was fantastic, so confident, took right over a true professional.

But after seeing the professional and all the young acts my question

is this. All these young kids they are out of breath and seem like

they can't wait till their done so they can go party. Also, when they

are done they seem like they want to be worshipped like they are

the second coming. I thought most of them really blew.

Re: Mick is still the man..
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 14, 2011 16:02

Why to stigmatise artists by their age either "young" or "old"? Judge them on what they do instead. Our parents and grand parents generation have done that before and we know it is useless because as far as criticism goes it doesn't bring anything.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: Pelle ()
Date: February 14, 2011 16:04

Seriously.. more energy than he has ever used on the latest tours..

GET OUT THERE NOW MICK!!!!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 14, 2011 17:03

rollmops
Why to stigmatise artists by their age either "young" or "old"? Judge them on what they do instead. Our parents and grand parents generation have done that before and we know it is useless because as far as criticism goes it doesn't bring anything.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

right-on

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 14, 2011 17:10

The thing is, it was one song. I would suspect he couldn't keep the same level of intensity for an entire show. He's still a great showman, but his vocal concentration seems to waver during an entire show and has for years. I say that being hyper-critical because I really study their concert DVD's and live discs closely. I'm sure most of their Greatest Hits audience walks away pleased with everything but Keith's songs unless it's "Happy" which they likely know. Mick did great last night and it was a pleasure to see it.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 14, 2011 20:54

rollmops
Rock and Roll,
Mops
Those young kids haven't learned to work hard to be on stage. They haven't learned to work hard to get a good salary like the ones that started in the 50'ies / 60'ies. They make one CD and 50 shows and then they are millionaires.

And that's it for them. They barely write their own songs, barely have a voice, barely can't play an instrument - they have the look, can learn to dance and mimic to a song.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: February 14, 2011 21:34

well said mtaylor i agree!!!

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: February 14, 2011 21:39

I was pointing out to my daughter how Mick was working the stage and audience unlike just about all the other acts. Her comment was that it was not fair to compare to the other acts because Mick has had 50 years to figure it out. Left me speechless.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 14, 2011 21:45

livewithme
I was pointing out to my daughter how Mick was working the stage and audience unlike just about all the other acts. Her comment was that it was not fair to compare to the other acts because Mick has had 50 years to figure it out. Left me speechless.

thanks for sharing that, very funny.

Posted by: HerMajestyBrenda ()
Date: February 14, 2011 21:53

The New York Times agrees, and concludes the article on the Grammys this way:

"That left Mr. Jagger. He was there to pay his own tribute: to the soul singer Solomon Burke, who died last year and was one of Mr. Jagger’s major influences when the Rolling Stones began. Lean and angular in a teal brocade tuxedo, backed by a soul band in suits, Mr. Jagger sang Mr. Burke’s “Everybody Needs Somebody to Love” with sass and affection, rooster-strutting all over the huge stage and pushing around his guitarist. No choreography — just a rock star jumping around. Some of the youngsters could take some tips."

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 14, 2011 21:59

MKjan
livewithme

thanks for sharing that, very funny.

Well, just think how good eminem will be in 40 years!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 14, 2011 22:02

HerMajestyBrenda

"That left Mr. Jagger. He was there to pay his own tribute: to the soul singer Solomon Burke, who died last year and was one of Mr. Jagger’s major influences when the Rolling Stones began. Lean and angular in a teal brocade tuxedo, backed by a soul band in suits, Mr. Jagger sang Mr. Burke’s “Everybody Needs Somebody to Love” with sass and affection, rooster-strutting all over the huge stage and pushing around his guitarist. No choreography — just a rock star jumping around. Some of the youngsters could take some tips."

jagger is jagger...there are many ways to perform - i thought alot of the "kids" did some amazing performances, including will's cute little 12 year old, holding his own with bieber.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 14, 2011 22:02

HerMajestyBrenda

A reviewer who gets it.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: February 14, 2011 22:37

truth is that the absolute top names of the year in pop,rap,r&b,country etc were there and guess what? they were on their feet,singing,dancing and waving their hands in the air with ear to ear smiles just totally giving it up for mick jagger.

the press has been nearly 100% positive on tv,print and the net with people using words like "ageless" and "show stopping".

then i go to a rolling stones fansite-his hair wasnt right,his voice didnt sound that good,he's too thin,didnt like his jacket.some idiot on another stones site even said he was lip-syncing.

that performance was a knockout by any reasonable standards.when people get that hyper-critical about someone,whether it's in sports,politics or entertainment you can usually conclude one thing-they just dont like the guy and nothing he can do will be good enough.

sorry some of you didnt enjoy it,seems everyone else did.

Posted by: sweet things ()
Date: February 14, 2011 22:45

HerMajestyBrenda

Mick was fabulous!!!

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 14, 2011 22:46

lem motlow
truth is that the absolute top names of the year in pop,rap,r&b,country etc were there and guess what? they were on their feet,singing,dancing and waving their hands in the air with ear to ear smiles just totally giving it up for mick jagger.

the press has been nearly 100% positive on tv,print and the net with people using words like "ageless" and "show stopping".

then i go to a rolling stones fansite-his hair wasnt right,his voice didnt sound that good,he's too thin,didnt like his jacket.some idiot on another stones site even said he was lip-syncing.

that performance was a knockout by any reasonable standards.when people get that hyper-critical about someone,whether it's in sports,politics or entertainment you can usually conclude one thing-they just dont like the guy and nothing he can do will be good enough.

sorry some of you didnt enjoy it,seems everyone else did.

What you say is true lem motlow,

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 14, 2011 22:54

mtaylor
rollmops
Rock and Roll,
Mops
Those young kids haven't learned to work hard to be on stage. They haven't learned to work hard to get a good salary like the ones that started in the 50'ies / 60'ies. They make one CD and 50 shows and then they are millionaires.

And that's it for them. They barely write their own songs, barely have a voice, barely can't play an instrument - they have the look, can learn to dance and mimic to a song.

They will have to work hard once their 15 minutes of fame is up. They have their "dessert" at the beginning of their meal instead of the end but if they want to stay at the table for more they will have to work hard like any other artists.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: February 14, 2011 23:13

Great performance, no doubt about it. Mick showed the crowd along with a world wide audience once again who still is the boss.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: February 14, 2011 23:23

Spinner loved it....[www.spinner.com]

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 14, 2011 23:55

I like the fact that Mick actually sings and entertains at the same time - too much concentration on not missing a dance step for many of the acts.

That said, I saw some good stuff there - Bruno Mars comes to mind.

Lots of crap though. Where has music gone?

Dylan - I love the guy, but voice even worse than usual.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: February 15, 2011 03:02

yes. he is THE MAN. no other front man will EVER come close.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: February 15, 2011 04:08

Midnight Toker
yes. he is THE MAN. no other front man will EVER come close.

I am a Jagger fan through and through BUT although I am not a fan of theirs you have to give Freddy Mercury and Michael Jackson their due, they were also great entertainers

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 15, 2011 04:15

treaclefingers
Well, just think how good eminem will be in 40 years!

Are you implying he's actually good NOW?

Posted by: CrissCrossMind ()
Date: February 15, 2011 04:23

livewithme

Speechless? Oh boy. I think I see another 16 year old with her daddy's "paid-for" Midnight Black limited edition $75,000.00 Mercedes... Tell "the daughter" that Mick knew how to work the crowd when the Stones played Ed Sullivan every few years in the mid 60's. He knew how to work the crowd when I saw him and the band at the LA Forum on the 1969 Tour, same with 1972, 73, and 75 shows in LA.

Jagger didn't need 50 years to figure it out, he had it down in 50 minutes - he's ALWAYS had it. Most of the crap that was played last night at the Grammy's were not bands full of great true musicians but are giant, well rehearsed plastic copy machines that are "Here Today, Gone Tomorrow" - that you can be 100% sure of, that, you can take straight to the bank. One last thing - skip the Mercedes when the daughter hit's 16, go for the used, peeling orange Hyundai with the big crack in the front glass - builds character. (BTW, IMHO, You get very easily stumped, much too easy)

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 15, 2011 04:43

What is that earpiece in his left ear as you are looking at him. Is it to hear the band or himself singing?

Posted by: cc ()
Date: February 15, 2011 04:45

The Sicilian
What is that earpiece in his left ear as you are looking at him. Is it to hear the band or himself singing?

a mix of both.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: February 15, 2011 05:08

Someone mentioned Will Smith's kid. Is anyone else a bit weary of him pushing his son out there in films, and now music? Nothing wrong with being a proud parent, but I guess if you're Will Smith, you believe your son's the second coming.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 15, 2011 05:35

DaveG
Someone mentioned Will Smith's kid. Is anyone else a bit weary of him pushing his son out there in films, and now music? Nothing wrong with being a proud parent, but I guess if you're Will Smith, you believe your son's the second coming.

Its like royalty Dave. All stars figure they have a bloodline career in the industry. Everyone is someones son, daughter, cousin, uncle, etc... if your a big star, its a smart move to continue your wealth line. Its all about the money and fame.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 15, 2011 05:39

It seems to work better for sports oriented families than it does for music oriented families ie the children of the big star.

Posted by: CrissCrossMind ()
Date: February 15, 2011 06:17

cc
The Sicilian

a mix of both.

Back in the day the singers, well all the front men, guitarists, etc, had speakers in front of them on the floor pointed back at them with a mix of the music so they could hear EVERYTHING in proper time/pitch/sound level/etc. Now many use the earplug instead, seems to work and be the next step forward....

notice all those black speakers/monitors on the floor out front - that was then, now most are using ear plugs....

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1733
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home