Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

I need a experts help with this setlist
Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: October 22, 2013 16:16

Can someone tell me if this set really happend its from the uk 1971 tour

Newcastle March 4th From Wikipedia

1. Jumpin' Jack Flash
2. Live with Me
3. Dead Flowers
4. Stray Cat Blues
5. Love in Vain
6. Prodigal Son
7. Midnight Rambler
8. Bitch
9. Can't You Hear Me Knocking
10. Wild Horses
11. Honky Tonk Women
12. Satisfaction
13. Little Queenie
14. Brown Sugar
15. Street Fighting Man
16. Sympathy For The Devil
17. Let It Rock

I know wikipedia is not always true like the whole indian girl was played on the urban jungle tour witch it was not but i have a hard time believing this setlist i doubt its right if someone here was at this show please let me know if its the right setlist

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-22 16:23 by Godxofxrock9.

Re: I need a experts help with this setlist
Date: October 22, 2013 16:24

According to Bill Wyman it happened. Still, I have my doubts, but what do I know smiling smiley

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: October 22, 2013 17:10

The setlist documented in Robert Greenfield's article "Goodbye Great Britain" does not list "Can't You Hear Me Knocking". The rest is accurate including the two song encore.

Date: October 22, 2013 23:21

According to Bill (and Keith?) CYHMK was tried out as well, but fell apart, supposedly...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 22, 2013 23:39

It's true. There was this article from a journalist traveling with the Stones on these gigs (was it for NME? I forgot) who mentioned this set, and Jagger states in the interview that CYHMK and WH fell apart, that the audience didn't know how to react to it. Then Wyman has commented on it, and Keys as well.

Mathijs

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: October 23, 2013 04:08

Bobby Keys goes into great detail in his autobiography about how CYHMK fell apart at the end, but prior to that, it worked well. He said Jagger swore never again.

Shocking that no recordings of any kind have surfaced from the gig.............

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 23, 2013 13:52

I don't know (and I'm no expert), but could be their best set list ever...

And dear god, let that collapsed "Can't You Hear Me Knocking?" circulate some day...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-23 13:53 by Doxa.

Date: October 23, 2013 14:18

Doxa

And dear god, let that collapsed "Can't You Hear Me Knocking?" circulate some day...

- Doxa

Looks like a part of the standard Licks club show setlist winking smiley

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 23, 2013 14:20

Doxa

- Doxa

...I'm with you on this, Doxa - just add are one or two Keith-songs (Happy! Silver!), ...ànd "Doom & Gloom" off course... smoking smiley What I'd give to be able to see thàt!!!

Date: October 23, 2013 15:02

DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

Yeah, but to think that how fresh the set list was at the time, no concept of 'war horses' or any hints of nostalgia in a horizon yet. If we take the oldie "Satisfaction" and Berry numbers out, all the rest of the songs were from three previous albums (plus the singles)... I don't know if they would play a similar set 30/40 years later is such a great thing...

- Doxa

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: October 23, 2013 15:16

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

Yeah, but to think that how fresh the set list was at the time, no concept of 'war horses' or any hints of nostalgia in a horizon yet. If we take the oldie "Satisfaction" and Berry numbers out, all the rest of the songs were from three previous albums (plus the singles)... I don't know if they would play a similar set 30/40 years later is such a great thing...

- Doxa

Correct.
And to think they played a similar setlist some 30 odd years just goes to show what a wonderful era this period was.
The best..

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: October 23, 2013 15:37

Doxa

- Doxa

impossible...no You Got Me Rockin'!!!

Date: October 23, 2013 15:40

He he, it was a joke, Doxa smiling smiley

However, judging from Leeds, the Marquee and the bootlegs I've heard from 1971, I would say that the band was even sloppier and more tired-sounding back then than today.

I really want to hear WH and CYHMK, not to mention SFTD from the Newcastle show, though thumbs up

Date: October 23, 2013 16:35

DandelionPowderman
He he, it was a joke, Doxa smiling smiley

However, judging from Leeds, the Marquee and the bootlegs I've heard from 1971, I would say that the band was even sloppier and more tired-sounding back then than today.

No joking here, man, this is serious stuff!grinning smiley

But yeah, from the base I have heard, they were rather sloppy and tired-sounding then (there is variance in that, as well), but even that has a charm of its own, and they played brand new songs for the first time, and played the old ones a bit differently (the horn arrangements, etc.). But still it looks like that they treated the short tour with rather 'couldn't care less' attitude. According to Bobby Keys they didn't bother much to rehearse, and seemingly treated the gigs with a sort of 'see what happens' attitude. Probably teh gigs were the rehearsals (that's what total pros do...grinning smiley). And probably them leaving England had something to do with their mindset, there being a kind of melancholic or lifeless feeling, especially in Keith (and if Keith is not totally 'on', the whole band suffers from that).

- Doxa

Date: October 23, 2013 16:40

I agree. However, a part of the problem (for me) with the 1971 shows is the sound, and the guitar sound in particular. Clean and muddy with no crunch at all. Luckily, they fixed that problem for the STP the coming year smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1674
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home