Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

how to create a stereo matrix from 2 Stones sources?
Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: February 13, 2011 20:40

Does anyone know what software might allow for an easy synchronisation of 2 sources of the same performance to create a 'stereo' matrix.
I have Audacity, which allows for multitrack mixing, and it allows for speed and pitch correction, but this has to be done by guess work and is not always successful.
Is there a program which can sample both sources and establish an exact sync?

Re: how to create a stereo matrix from 2 Stones sources?
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: February 13, 2011 22:12

Hmm, "easy synchronisation" sounds like an oxymoron in most cases.
I don't know of any program that will automatically do the job - but it can be done and it's not "guess work".
bad luck if the original source was a wobbly reel-to-reel recorder which leads to the question - from when are the recordings?

if both tracks only get out of sync just because of different pitch, one needs to pinpoint good recognizable in and out cues on both files.
zoom in to the very first kick or snare beat or whatever. same with the end of the song. mark them and crop the file.
then do the same thing to the next track.

you can now measure the length of the tracks and compare them. add pitch correction with or without stretching.
do this track by track - not on a whole show as it would drift away again.
once you have your settings for one track it's easier to apply it to the rest and fine tune by ear.
oh, for me a guitar and tuner works well to find the original offset of the recording.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: February 13, 2011 23:22

it's not easy,,i tried to do some merge concerts altamont 69 ,the first six tracks,and san diego 69,,but it's not easy..(speed variations)

and there is som 1973-75 shows to create merge stereo,,if there is 2 different sources,,)

there is a lot of hendrix concerts now in merge stereo,,they are more fun listen to in merge stereo,,

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: February 13, 2011 23:51

I use a 4 track recorder with one source recorded on track one, then I cue track one while I play the second source and adjust the speed before recording the second track. It also does eq ing during the playback on to the CD burner.

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: February 14, 2011 00:15

Once you get the hang of it it's not difficult, but it is time consuming.

Cooledit Pro is my proggie of choice although I have been trying Audigy lately.

open-g's system is what I use. Put the single tracks one above the other,go to the start, find a common point such as Charlies drum beat, expand your wav horizontally & sync that point exactly, copy the time at that point (in decimals)

Next, go to the end & find a common point on each track & copy the times of the two points. Then it's pure maths to figure out the lengths of each track, the percentage of which one you want to change & it's that figure you whack into the pitch/speed section.

A problem occurs when one or both tracks aren't running exactly to speed. The tracks will be in sync at the start & finish but you'll have phase problems in between.

Any specific show you're interested in doing?

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: February 14, 2011 00:42

vancouver
there is a lot of hendrix concerts now in merge stereo,,they are more fun listen to in merge stereo,,

Any especially good ones?

Date: February 14, 2011 01:20

atlanta pop 1970,& stockholm 70 and some more(sthlm 70 from 4 different sources)

here is one stones track from houston 81 in merge stereo

soundboard & audience

[www.sendspace.com]

1981-20FlightRock Houston 81 Merge stereo.flac

altamont 69 mix of two different audience recordings

[www.sendspace.com]

Altamont Sftd I_merge.flac

[www.sendspace.com]

Altamont sftd II_merge_fixed.flac

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 14, 2011 01:38

The last one sounds the best but I think editing music this way is more fun then the result you'll get

Date: February 14, 2011 09:23

Thanks for the responses.
I noticed that there are a lot of fan-created stereo mixes/outfakes of Beatles material (e.g. stereo matrices of mono Nagra reels from the "Let It Be' sessions. Also things like a blend of 2 different mixes of the same song with different lead guitars-the Let It Be single/LP mix for example)
There doesn't seem to be much Stones stuff like this.
My curiousity was peaked when recently there appeared different audience recordings of MSG 11/27/69 and Baltimore 69. I thought I would give a try at mixing 2 mono sources to create a stereo version.
I had tinkered with this idea last year with 2 different early bootlegged mixes of Brown Sugar.
My motivation was primarily to create a more complete, full stereo, natural sounding version of what was briefly heard in the film, GIMME SHELTER.
Some of my tinkering, not all approximating my original goal, is included below:

[www.sendspace.com]

[www.sendspace.com]

[www.sendspace.com]

Please let me know what you think.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: February 14, 2011 09:48

thkbeercan
Thanks for the responses.
I noticed that there are a lot of fan-created stereo mixes/outfakes of Beatles material (e.g. stereo matrices of mono Nagra reels from the "Let It Be' sessions. Also things like a blend of 2 different mixes of the same song with different lead guitars-the Let It Be single/LP mix for example)
There doesn't seem to be much Stones stuff like this.
My curiousity was peaked when recently there appeared different audience recordings of MSG 11/27/69 and Baltimore 69. I thought I would give a try at mixing 2 mono sources to create a stereo version.
I had tinkered with this idea last year with 2 different early bootlegged mixes of Brown Sugar.
My motivation was primarily to create a more complete, full stereo, natural sounding version of what was briefly heard in the film, GIMME SHELTER.
Some of my tinkering, not all approximating my original goal, is included below:

[www.sendspace.com]

[www.sendspace.com]

[www.sendspace.com]

Please let me know what you think.

i like it, i did something similar a few yrs back when i created a soundtrack cd for the gimme shelter movie here's my version
[www.mediafire.com]

Date: February 14, 2011 10:01

[www.sendspace.com]

01JJF MergeOKL69 pt merge.wav

here's sample of okland 69 in merge stereo

Date: February 14, 2011 10:02

very nice buddy, better sync than mine

Date: February 17, 2011 10:17

thkbeercan
Does anyone know what software might allow for an easy synchronisation of 2 sources of the same performance to create a 'stereo' matrix.
I have Audacity, which allows for multitrack mixing, and it allows for speed and pitch correction, but this has to be done by guess work and is not always successful.
Is there a program which can sample both sources and establish an exact sync?

how is it going with your work ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1842
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home