Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Sinead vs Miley: It's Beginning To Get Ugly
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 5, 2013 16:06

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-05 16:08 by tatters.

Re: OT: Sinead vs Miley: It's Beginning To Get Ugly
Date: October 5, 2013 16:10

Miley Cyrus and Sinead O'Connor row escalates

Pop star Miley Cyrus has hit back at Sinead O'Connor, after the Irish singer warned her not to be exploited by the music business.
In a series of tweets, Cyrus mocked O'Connor, comparing her to US actress Amanda Bynes before alluding to O'Connor's mental health problems.
O'Connor responded with another open letter to the singer, accusing her of "irresponsible" behaviour.
The Irish singer told her to "remove her tweets immediately".
The tit-for-tat conversation began after Cyrus, 20, cited O'Connor's video Nothing Compares 2 U as an inspiration for her explicit Wrecking Ball video.
O'Connor, 46, said she was prompted to write, "in the spirit of motherliness" after "phone calls from various newspapers" who wanted the singer-songwriter to comment upon similarities between the two videos.
In the video for Nothing Compares 2 U, O'Connor sheds a single tear as she performs the Prince-penned break-up ballad.
Cyrus cries in the promo clip for Wrecking Ball, which shares similar lyrical themes to O'Connor's song. But the video also finds her licking a sledgehammer and swinging naked on a metal demolition ball.
O'Connor said she was "extremely concerned" that those around Cyrus had led or encouraged her to believe "that it is in any way 'cool' to be naked and licking sledgehammers in your videos".
Cyrus, who found fame as the child star of Disney children's show Hannah Montana, has been criticised in recent weeks for her controversial performances, particularly at the MTV Video Music Awards in Brooklyn last month.
O'Connor continued: "The message you keep sending is that it's somehow cool to be prostituted.. it's so not cool Miley... it's dangerous.
"It is in fact the case that you will obscure your talent by allowing yourself to be pimped, whether it's the music business or yourself doing the pimping," added O'Connor.
Responding on Twitter, Cyrus wrote: "Top of the mornin to ya."
She added a screen shot of O'Connor's tweets from 2012 in which the Irish star, who has bi-polar disorder, referred to her own mental health problems, asking for Twitter followers to recommend a psychiatrist.
She compared the singer to former child actress Amanda Bynes, who is currently undergoing psychiatric treatment.
"I don't have time to write you an open letter cause I'm hosting & performing on SNL this week," Cyrus continued.
Cyrus prompted more controversy with her raunchy performance in Las Vegas this month
Cyrus also tweeted a picture of O'Connor ripping up a photograph of the pope, an infamous on-stage stunt by the singer, before asking her to "meet up and talk".
Responding to Cyrus in a third open letter, O'Connor said she would take legal action against her if she did not remove the tweets.
"You have posted today tweets of mine which are two years old, which were posted by me when I was unwell and seeking help so as to make them look like they are recent.
"In doing so you mock myself and Amanda Bynes for having suffered with mental health issues and for having sought help," said O'Connor.
She added: "It is most unbecoming of you to respond in such a fashion to someone who expressed care for you," O'Connor added.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-05 16:12 by tatters.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 5, 2013 16:18

The whole thing does seem to have provoked a lot of sanctimonious outrage, at least on facebook. I don't really care what either of them do or say, but I will note that Miley Cyrus is still very young. Most young people make mistakes in trying to figure out who they are and what they want to be, so I'm not going to judge her too harshly.

Here's the link to O'Connor's original letter, from my FB news feed, for those who care. Miley's response is immature and childish, but hey, that's what she is.

[sabotagetimes.com]

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 5, 2013 16:21

So much trouble in the world...

Date: October 5, 2013 16:23

Why did ol' baldy have to send her an open letter, though? Why couldn't she have just sent her a private email or something? Obviously, she's much less concerned about keeping Miley out of trouble than she is about keeping herself in the public eye.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 5, 2013 16:25

.............. Miley Virus

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 5, 2013 16:33

I can't take Cyrus seriously. Her speaking voice is so goofy.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 5, 2013 16:38

Big Al

yeah, and the grinding on Robin Thicke.

Date: October 5, 2013 16:47

treaclefingers
Big Al

Yeah, she repulses me, actually. Famous 'cos her daddy had a big-selling single 20+ years ago.

Date: October 5, 2013 16:47

treaclefingers
Big Al

But I doubt that incident will dog Miley for the rest of her days like the SNL Pope thing has done to Sinead. Miley's thing was just stupid and in poor taste, Sinead's was quite incendiary, almost like Jane Fonda and Hanoi.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 5, 2013 16:54

Miley Syphilis

Date: October 5, 2013 16:55

latebloomer

But I doubt that incident will dog Miley for the rest of her days like the SNL Pope thing has done to Sinead. Miley's thing was just stupid and in poor taste, Sinead's was quite incendiary, almost like Jane Fonda and Hanoi.

No, it won't dog her and nor should it. Sinead's stunt is on a whole different level. I share her (then) views, personally, but incendiary is definitely the worse word.

Date: October 5, 2013 17:04

His Majesty
Tearing up a photo of the dickhead pope was great.

Yes, I understand it was incendiary but I also didn't have a problem with that.

Date: October 5, 2013 17:05

HM, your nothing if not consistent and I do admire you for that. grinning smiley

But, I wouldn't go there guys, BV's not gonna be happy if this thread turns into a rant about religion.

Poof, it's gone!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 5, 2013 17:08

Amen. grinning smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 5, 2013 17:49

Incendiary? Only in America. On the contrary, it was a very brave political or anti-theocratic statement. Very much similar to those of Galilei or Spinoza. And what moral strength it took to sing Marley's "War" in front of a booing mass of hypocrites. That is something to be admired. It's called moral courage.

Miley Cyrus? She is nothing but a product. Now told to demean herself to make even more money. Vey much like a prostitute.

Sinead

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-05 17:55 by Stoneage.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 5, 2013 18:37

I agree with LateBloomer and Stoneage's posts.

I am not Catholic but I deplore the "dickhead pope" comment.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: October 5, 2013 18:48

To borrow the tagline from Aliens vs Predator...

Sinead vs Miley: Whoever wins... we lose.

Posted by: JC21769 ()
Date: October 5, 2013 18:49

2 dopey @#$%&

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 5, 2013 18:56

stonesrule

Don't encourage Phil...he's already lost in a sea of emotion...but damn he knows his stuff about B Jones...

Date: October 5, 2013 20:53

Munichhilton
stonesrule

Don't encourage Phil...he's already lost in a sea of emotion...but damn he knows his stuff about B Jones...

I'd like to second that emotion. Or third it if it's already been seconded.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 5, 2013 20:58

When do the "Miley is doing art" and "This thread is sexist" people start their meeting here? Will there be popcorn or should we bring our own?

Date: October 5, 2013 21:00

Or is "defending the artist" and accusing people of sexism only reserved for certain people?

Date: October 5, 2013 21:06

and btw-
This should not be considered an ad / hype / publicity stunt for Miley doing her art on SNL tonight or anything, it is all a pure coincidence.

Date: October 5, 2013 21:10

Yes, things are definitely beginning to get ugly ....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-05 21:11 by tatters.

Date: October 5, 2013 21:11

Who is that guy?

Date: October 5, 2013 21:13

Max'sKansasCity
Who is that guy?

James McCartney?

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 5, 2013 21:13

Rockman

...Silly virus

Date: October 5, 2013 21:14

tatters
Max'sKansasCity
Who is that guy?

James McCartney?

Ah, thanks.

Date: October 5, 2013 21:20

EddieByword
Rockman

...Silly virus

Hmmmmm..... now I wonder... was Jerry making fun of Miley when he named this character in his movie [www.google.com]? I wonder if anyone called him sexist for doing that?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1767
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home