Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10
Re: Singles Collection 1971-2006
Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: April 8, 2011 02:36

I just received an email stating that my copy has shipped. I'll post a review (in a separate thread) once it arrives.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: April 8, 2011 12:32

I would buy it if it´s a vinyl box. this box has no meaning for me

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: April 8, 2011 13:00

Bad review on SPIEGEL ONLINE under the title "Bluff Package":

[www.spiegel.de]

Issue is the inactivity of the band in present, too.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: April 8, 2011 13:15

Well, somehow I don't know what to say about this. I mean, really, the fans on this board have been debating a new album over and over again. But now, the Stones put out this box. Is this really a statement of intent from the band, like "hello, we still exist and want to do something" or is it just a statement from Promotone B.V. along the lines of "you asked for an opening of the archives - now you can buy what's in there"?

I have no interest in this box. Neither did I have in the "Shine A Light" soundtrack CD. I haven't seen the film either. My interest is new material, be it under the Stones banner or solo, I'd buy both, well, if it is not on a compilation of old material. So the Stones seem to have lost me after ABB.

And Super Heavy? It's not intended to be listened to on a home stereo but a tricky phone instead. If listening to Super Heavy were the only reason for buying such a phone, I would just skip it. And so far, all I want from my phone is to phone. I dare say Super Heavy might turn out to be a phone-y idea. Sorry for the negativity, but why can't Mick Jagger and Dave Stewart just release a duo album together?

Date: April 8, 2011 15:12

RobertJohnson

[www.spiegel.de]

That's a content-free review: lots of blabla and no real information. I wonder if the guy even listened to any of the discs. The writer also expresses some opinions I disagree with, so all in all, this review would get a bad review from me (if I were to review it). winking smiley

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: April 8, 2011 15:53

FreeBird
RobertJohnson

[www.spiegel.de]

That's a content-free review: lots of blabla and no real information. I wonder if the guy even listened to any of the discs. The writer also expresses some opinions I disagree with, so all in all, this review would get a bad review from me (if I were to review it). winking smiley

Agree in some respects, but the writer is right to notice the disproportionateness of the secondary use of older material and the lacking of new stuff. He's bemoaning the ex-champion status of the band.

Date: April 8, 2011 17:40

RobertJohnson
Agree in some respects, but the writer is right to notice the disproportionateness of the secondary use of older material and the lacking of new stuff. He's bemoaning the ex-champion status of the band.
True, but not all of it is relevant in this context. Yes, the Exile stuff he mentions is ridiculously overpriced, but this set offers some genuinely rare material (although based on the information available today, it also seems to miss out on some opportunities like the early mono singles - but the review doesn't even mention that).

Of course it would've been better if they'd given us the option to choose between this set and one that limits the number of CDs to a more reasonable number, like ABKCO did for their part of the catalogue (Singles Collection: The London Years vs. three times Singles 196X-19YZ).

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: April 8, 2011 18:39

These guys come up with more Bullshit ways to recycle some of the things that have been out there a hundred times. Dig into the friggen vault and give us something that the fans want. Not another greatest hits CD AGAIN. PLEASE t

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 9, 2011 00:43

I don't get all the negativity around this box set.
At least Universal is releasing something "new". Not another greatest hits. They can't be blamed for taking care of the Stones catalog.
This the first time this fantastic collection of singles will be available as a whole. Plus it has many tracks that are currently out of print.
Also if you don't want to buy the whole thing it will be available as digital download as well.

Date: April 9, 2011 01:59

My thoughts exactly.

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: April 9, 2011 17:20

All Down The Line is the alternate version, but not Sway!

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: April 9, 2011 17:42

midnrambler

angry smiley

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 9, 2011 18:08

rootsman
midnrambler

angry smiley

The alternate Sway would be the main reason for me buying this thing.....thanks for the heads up. I will certainly pass on this miserable box-set now. Wonder why they can NEVER EVER EVER get things right - that imbecil "rolling stones company". They're a joke to put it mildly. Even the worst bootleg labels knows their stuff better than the official store.

Date: April 9, 2011 19:26

Another letdown is that the first 10 (or so) discs are all packed in reproductions of the standard tongue sleeve only. That may have been the way they were released in the USA, but why the hell did they not use the picture sleeves from Europe, e. g. from IORR/Through The Lonely Nights?

Date: April 10, 2011 03:38

I guess they don't have the European cover for Angie?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 10, 2011 03:42

kowalski

MMMMMMMM....European cover for Angie...mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Date: April 10, 2011 11:38

kowalski

No, of course not. No picture cover until Miss You, except Brown Sugar.

Posted by: Raluca ()
Date: April 10, 2011 13:16

A lot of shit!
Greetings Raluca

Date: April 10, 2011 15:23

midnrambler

kowalski

No, of course not. No picture cover until Miss You, except Brown Sugar.

Another missed opportunity. These singles issued in Europe had cool pictures...

Fool To Cry :

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: April 10, 2011 15:45

Btw. the sticker on the Box set says (contray to the press release), that these singles are taken from the UK & US releases. No mention of 'European' singles...

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: April 10, 2011 21:46

a buch of waste. why bother. they have a ton of kick ass songs that have never been released. sitting through 6 remixes of the same song has me banging my head against the wall. the boys need to think outside the box. this re-release thing is getting old and boring.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: April 11, 2011 00:29

Midnight Toker
a buch of waste. why bother. they have a ton of kick ass songs that have never been released. sitting through 6 remixes of the same song has me banging my head against the wall. the boys need to think outside the box. this re-release thing is getting old and boring.

Well, not for those who doesn't have it. I don't have all of these tracks, so this release is a good opportunity for getting them. And a Singles Collection is always nice.

Posted by: alexander paul ()
Date: June 30, 2011 17:23

I don't have yet the singles box 1971-2006. But I noticed that the first singles Brown sugar and Wild horses have also earlier been released in the Singles box 1968-1971 (Abcko 2005).
My question is: are there differences? Are the new ones of better quality? And what about the mono single release of Sway ("flipside" of Wild horses)? I read that this is not the original USA mono 7'track. Are the versions of Sway in the old Akkco box 1968-1971 and in the 1971-2006 box the same?
Thanks for all information.
Alex.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: June 30, 2011 17:37

My guess is the ABKCO singles versions are the Ludwig remasters while the UMe release is the Marcussen remasters.

Date: June 30, 2011 18:08

DragonSky
My guess is the ABKCO singles versions are the Ludwig remasters while the UMe release is the Marcussen remasters.

That's correct. Except that tracks on the box set are slightly less compressed when compared to 2009 re-releases. Not sure if it makes the sound better though...

Date: June 30, 2011 23:32

alexander paul
My question is: are there differences?
Yes. Apart from the differences in Sway (see below), they look different and the ABKCO version of the Brown Sugar single omits Let It Rock.
alexander paul
Are the new ones of better quality?
No.
alexander paul
And what about the mono single release of Sway ("flipside" of Wild horses)? I read that this is not the original USA mono 7'track. Are the versions of Sway in the old Akkco box 1968-1971 and in the 1971-2006 box the same?
They're both different from the album version and from the original mono mix (which, some claim, was never meant to be released in the first place). They're also different from each other. They both have the count-in lopped off, but the UMe version fades out early, whereas the ABKCO version does not.

Date: July 1, 2011 00:21

This box set is quite a mess actually. They couldn't get the right mixes for the earlier tracks and a couple of singles are missing on the latter ones. And "Think I'm Going Mad" has a skip in the first seconds...

Date: July 1, 2011 01:22

You were quite positive about this set earlier on, kowalski. What made you change your mind?

Date: July 1, 2011 02:42

I have a mixed opinion on it. I think it's great to have all the rare remixes and all the rare b-sides easily available now.
But to me the sound quality ruins everything.. It's the same as the 2009 remasters: compressed and very loud. They tried to fix it by lowering the level a bit on the box set tracks though. But I don't find it better anyway.
Then there's this weird edit of Sway, the skip on Going Mad, the missing singles...
Those flaws make me wonder if they really care about the product they putting out and also about the fans...
Also I don't get why they had to repeat so many times some of the tracks (like Miss You).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-01 02:49 by kowalski.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 1, 2011 18:11

kowalski
I have a mixed opinion on it. I think it's great to have all the rare remixes and all the rare b-sides easily available now.
But to me the sound quality ruins everything.. It's the same as the 2009 remasters: compressed and very loud. They tried to fix it by lowering the level a bit on the box set tracks though. But I don't find it better anyway.
Then there's this weird edit of Sway, the skip on Going Mad, the missing singles...
Those flaws make me wonder if they really care about the product they putting out and also about the fans...
Also I don't get why they had to repeat so many times some of the tracks (like Miss You).

It's too bad there wasn't a little more care and attention put into it. Seriously, this is a novelty item that will only appeal to a VERY small segment of the population. With that set of the population though, they can charge almost what they want (which they are), and as long as they deliver the goods, we'll be happy.
FOR EXAMPLE, as a novelty item, why not include more picture sleeves, IE THE BANNED Beast of Burden sleeve.
For me, that would have probably been a detail if they had included, would have prompted me to seriously consider. I know, it's ludicrous, but then so is the idea of having individual CD's for each single.
The fact that there are so many other problems with this, and that it is over $200, keeps me from jumping into the pond.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2197
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home