Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Brad Paisley on the Stones
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 31, 2013 16:47

Brian Hineline/The Morning Call

The country music star opens his recent 'Talks at Google' interview with some thoughts on his recent guest spot and "country" Stones. - [youtu.be]

'Dead Flowers', Philadelphia June 18 - [youtu.be]

Re: Brad Paisley on the Stones
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 31, 2013 18:54

Brad is worth the time if you haven't checked out his music...man that bastard can play a Tele!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 31, 2013 20:01

I don't know, man. I can't get into the new phony country music with the cowboy hats and the pretentious down home accents.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: August 31, 2013 20:36

Maybe you shouldn't be prejudiced by calling it phony. And start from there.

There's a lot of very enjoyable country'pop'.
Pistol Annies are great, So are the solo albums of Miranda Lambert & Ashley Monroe.
Kacey Musgraves is an up and coming talent.
Jamey Johnson is utterly fantastic.
Hell, if you listen to Taylor Swift without any prejudice...great songs man. They really are.
Brad is a great guitar player (although I'm not a big fan of his albums). Same thing goes for Keith Urban.

The old 'hat-acts' are still doing great: like the almighty George Strait (but he is in a league of his own). Alan Jackson is still very enjoyable.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 31, 2013 21:05

I just don't get the hats. Why does every country dude have to be a hat? Who wants to be a hat? Hats just stand there and... sing, 99% of the time awful horrible lyrics to boot (sorry, had to throw that in there). They don't really do anything. It's like they're riding a horse - gotta be stiff. Hats are weird. I know some hats and they make me laugh they're so serious.

Serious as a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: August 31, 2013 21:15

GasLightStreet
I just don't get the hats. Why does every country dude have to be a hat? Who wants to be a hat? Hats just stand there and... sing, 99% of the time awful horrible lyrics to boot (sorry, had to throw that in there). They don't really do anything. It's like they're riding a horse - gotta be stiff. Hats are weird. I know some hats and they make me laugh they're so serious.

But Keith's headbands and scarves and eyeliner or Mick's jumpsuits and tights are "serious"...O.K.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 31, 2013 23:28

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 31, 2013 23:31

Paisley was a great fit for this song

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 31, 2013 23:47

Paisley was a great fit for this song

I think so too, schillid. Paisley looked very natural on stage with the Stones, much more so than some of the other guests from the recent tour.

Date: August 31, 2013 23:51

If I remember correctly, Keith's sported a cowboy hat or two in the past also.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 31, 2013 23:51

BowieStone

Pistol Annies are great, So are the solo albums of Miranda Lambert & Ashley Monroe.
Hell, if you listen to Taylor Swift without any prejudice...great songs man. They really are.
Brad is a great guitar player (although I'm not a big fan of his albums). Same thing goes for Keith Urban.

The old 'hat-acts' are still doing great: like the almighty George Strait (but he is in a league of his own). Alan Jackson is still very enjoyable.

Blessings on you...you advance to Boardwalk Avenue...

Date: August 31, 2013 23:56

Imagine how many Stones songs would never have been, without the country influence, from the early days to present...

Date: September 1, 2013 00:21

BowieStone

I'll be whatever I want. You can pick out a song or two that's okay, but most of them are about looking back. 'Remember when we went to the drive-in? When you had a mini-skirt? When I drove a Camaro?' It's phony. Keith Urban is a good guitar player, at least from what I heard at Staples Center.

I like old school country. George Jones (didn't wear a hat), Johnny Cash, Skeets McDonald, and I saw Willie Nelson and Lyle Lovett just two weeks ago. So, don't assume I'm prejudiced against country. I'm just not into K-Mart Cowboys and maybe you are.

Date: September 1, 2013 00:44

Great song...

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 1, 2013 01:58

Brad Paisley is a great guitarist. He's better than most rock guitarist even if he had both hands tied behind his back. The same is true for Vince Gill. I'm really not a fan of country songs but it has some of the best guitar playing I ever heard.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: September 1, 2013 05:34

shadooby
GasLightStreet

But Keith's headbands and scarves and eyeliner or Mick's jumpsuits and tights are "serious"...O.K.

*Boom*
Good one...
It's a cultural/regional thing.
Paisley is good, as is Jamie Johnson....

Date: September 1, 2013 06:57

country music has been dying a long and painful death for about 20 years now and it seem to start with the death of conway twitty. there are a few real country artists left out there but most of the newer famous acts are about as country as jay z. fake phony country artists. i love garth brooks but i blame him for the fall of country music.
here are some good country acts still out there:
willie nelson
shooter jennings
travis tritt
alan jackson
george strait
ray price
merle haggard
hank williams jr
vince gill
hank williams III
randy travis
alabama (they still do stuff right?)
dwight yoakam
kenny rogers
dolly parton
emmylou harris
kris kristofferson

some great country acts that have passed on:
george jones
waylon jennings
johnny cash
conway twitty
hank williams
tammy wynette
buck owens
lefty frizzell

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-01 09:39 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 1, 2013 07:25

shadooby
GasLightStreet

Of course I didn't bring up how the Stones have looked over the years. It was specific to country musicians.

Everyone knows the Stones have looked ridiculous over the years.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 1, 2013 07:53

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 17:14 by camper88.

Date: September 1, 2013 08:00

Give me some Lefty: (Listen to Jimmy Pruitt on piano).

[www.youtube.com]

Some Louvin Brothers:

[www.youtube.com]

Skeets:

And of course:

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: September 1, 2013 09:12

keefriffhard4life

some great country acts that have passed on:
george jones
waylon jennings
johnny cash
conway twitty
hank williams
tammy wynette
buck owens
left frizzell

Gary Stewart.

Ain't Living Long....

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: September 1, 2013 10:14

GasLightStreet

ever ride a horse? to do it correctly you're not supposed to be stiff, be fluid & move in unison with the steed. winking smiley

Date: September 1, 2013 10:22

24FPS
I don't know, man. I can't get into the new phony country music with the cowboy hats and the pretentious down home accents.

I used to live in the South & Southwest, the western hats come with the territory & the accents are real, much too hard to imitate. cool smiley

Date: September 1, 2013 10:23

24FPS
So, don't assume I'm prejudiced against country.

The subject was new country.
I never said you were prejudiced against politically correct country.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 1, 2013 10:28

GasLightStreet

Of course I didn't bring up how the Stones have looked over the years. It was specific to country musicians.

Everyone knows the Stones have looked ridiculous over the years.

Let's face it, live long enough and you'll have looked ridiculous at some point in your life. I can hardly bear to look at pics of me with that '80s perm.

Date: September 1, 2013 10:29

owlbynite
24FPS

I used to live in the South & Southwest, the western hats come with the territory & the accents are real, much too hard to imitate. cool smiley

a lot of these newer country acts aren't from the south. keith urban is from australia, taylor swift is from pennsylvania, shania twain is from canada.

Date: September 1, 2013 10:35

keefriffhard4life
owlbynite
24FPS

a lot of these newer country acts aren't from the south. keith urban is from australia, taylor swift is from pennsylvania, shania twain is from canada.

true. the hats are just part of their décor! I have a good western hat & every time I wear it in Manhattan, everybody asks if I'm from Texas. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: September 1, 2013 11:30

Keith Urban & Taylor Swift do not have a southern accent.
They don't wear hats either. So all is fine.
Country isn't restricted to the South, of course.
But if you're not from Texas, indeed, don't imitate the accent.

Date: September 1, 2013 11:53

BowieStone
Keith Urban & Taylor Swift do not have a southern accent.
They don't wear hats either. So all is fine.
Country isn't restricted to the South, of course.
But if you're not from Texas, indeed, don't imitate the accent.

and thats why most of these newer country acts sound nothing like country. because they aren't from the south and are simply imitating a style of music to make money. when george jones sang you felt every word of it because he lived it all.

Date: September 1, 2013 12:34

Of course George Jones was one of a kind.
But to me you don't have to live it before you can sing it.
A good singer is like a good actor.

To me artists like Toby Keith or Jimmy Buffett are the ones to blame.
They make the genre a laughing stock, while others (I already mentioned) truly mean it.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1275
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home