Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Next album...Stones or Winos?
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 1, 2013 14:53

Without considering the possible Sticky Fingers reissue, do you think there will be a new Stones or Winos album?

Re: Next album...Stones or Winos?
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 1, 2013 15:20

We can only hope. I think I'd lean toward a Stones record. I'd save us from another Mick solo record. Also, you don't get Charlie playing rock if it's the Winos.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 1, 2013 15:36

No, there wont be a New Stones album. No interest from the band,

I Hope there wont be a new Jagger album, but i DO hope, there will be a new Keef, Winos album.

and, hoping that the SF Deluxe release will be a treat.

jeroen

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: September 1, 2013 15:47

Keith said in an interview in Toronto a while back that he has a solo album ready to release when this tour is over...don't know if he'll call it a Wino's project or not.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 1, 2013 15:52

Stones first, then the Winos...I don't think multitasking works here. Prioritize Stones, you can do it.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: September 1, 2013 15:53

The lack of musical collaboration between Ronnie and Keith is a huge missed opportunity IMO. Oh we'll.....

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: September 1, 2013 16:00

I too wish woody and Keith would do a cd together

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 1, 2013 16:18

GOO
I too wish woody and Keith would do a cd together

That would be Good !!, not as the New Barbarians i hope, but some ballads and soul stuff.

Jeroen

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: September 1, 2013 17:52

How do people imagine a new Winos album? The Winos were great, but their potential was limited. They started to copy themselves on the second (!) album. Running too Deep and Will but You won't are based on the same riff, Will but You won't is better because of the auratic jam towards the end. I do not believe in a new Stones album as well, since they would not play it live. I believe that Mick Jagger could do some interesting projects, if he'd only stay from Superheavy, femmes fatales and dirty bitches...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 1, 2013 18:00

Mr.D
Keith said in an interview in Toronto a while back that he has a solo album ready to release when this tour is over...don't know if he'll call it a Wino's project or not.

Talk Is Cheap and Main Offender are solo albums. How would this supposed new one be any different? Both have Winos on them and the new one has Winos on it.

Date: September 1, 2013 18:09

windmelody
How do people imagine a new Winos album? The Winos were great, but their potential was limited. They started to copy themselves on the second (!) album. Running too Deep and Will but You won't are based on the same riff, Will but You won't is better because of the auratic jam towards the end. I do not believe in a new Stones album as well, since they would not play it live. I believe that Mick Jagger could do some interesting projects, if he'd only stay from Superheavy, femmes fatales and dirty bitches...

Main Offender blows away 3 of Mick's solo albums. Some great tunes on MO. At least it's not rote Stones-by-numbers like the two new Stones tracks are and any possible future Stones tracks.

Any time the word 'potential' is used there is an automatic limit to it. 'His talent has so much potential' instills that there is a cut off. If it was a 20 or 30 something year old Keith Richards & The Expensive Winos it might make more sense to talk about 'potential' in place of the word 'growth'. Not sure why someone would confuse wanting to write, record and play music for the sake of wanting to write, record and play music as some kind of damning of talent. Keith did it out of necessity. Mick did it out of ego.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 1, 2013 18:10

This threads reminded me....as it's about projects....wonder what happened to supereavy and his conspiricy-theories about the future of Rolling Stones...?

Date: September 1, 2013 18:15

Erik_Snow
This threads reminded me....as it's about projects....wonder what happened to supereavy and his conspiricy-theories about the future of Rolling Stones...?

You heard what came out of that. How you wanna put it? Let's try an enlightening of the continued distilling of...

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: September 1, 2013 18:16

Though I really want a new Stones album, any new music will do.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: September 1, 2013 21:12

Keith solo is our last best hope for great music from these guys.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 1, 2013 21:32

When we are talking about The Stones (or Stones side projects) my advice is: Enjoy the past, forget the future.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: September 1, 2013 21:52

sonomastone

Based on all the great music he made in the last 15 years

Posted by: Night Manager ()
Date: September 1, 2013 22:05

Main Offender is a classic. Opener 999 I could hear on endless rotation. Mixed in with some sleep tonight balladry, I wouldn`t mind more of the similar.
A new Stones album, if they throw it together like Doom and Gloom and don`t fuss with it too long, would be nice too. I`ll have anything, really, and be glad they still did something.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: September 1, 2013 22:10

GasLightStreet
windmelody

Main Offender blows away 3 of Mick's solo albums. Some great tunes on MO. At least it's not rote Stones-by-numbers like the two new Stones tracks are and any possible future Stones tracks.

Any time the word 'potential' is used there is an automatic limit to it. 'His talent has so much potential' instills that there is a cut off. If it was a 20 or 30 something year old Keith Richards & The Expensive Winos it might make more sense to talk about 'potential' in place of the word 'growth'. Not sure why someone would confuse wanting to write, record and play music for the sake of wanting to write, record and play music as some kind of damning of talent. Keith did it out of necessity. Mick did it out of ego.

Oh, give me a break. Richards made his album in 1993 out of of necessity. and can I ask what is the reason that he hasn't made another solo album for 20 years now? I understand that the ego has nothing to do with the fact that the album bombed miserably and after that he wasn't that eager to try one more time.
I wonder out of which kind of necessity was his book made?
What do you know about the artists and their egos and about what motivates creative people except what you have read in the interviews?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 1, 2013 22:17

Stoneage
When we are talking about The Stones (or Stones side projects) my advice is: Enjoy the past, forget the future.

There you go. I can't listen to Keith Richards sing for a whole album, or listen to the way they record Steve Jordan's drums. And the Stones, come on, the tour showed they ain't going to change any musicians. We're stuck with Darryl and Chuck forever, and that ain't good. And please, if One More Shot is the level of songwriting we're going to get from Keith, just let him rest on his laurels. It's over, folks. It was nice they did an oldies show with just a tiny bit of Mick Taylor thrown in. And they'll probably take that act around the globe one last time. But a Stones studio record? Why?

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 1, 2013 22:21

I agree with ProudMary.
GasLight, what bonded Mick and Keith was MUSIC. Mick kept writing songs and he missed performing. Ego has nothing to do with it.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 1, 2013 22:28

sonomastone

the same Keith whose entire released songwriting output since 1997 comes to a total of about ten songs?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 1, 2013 23:17

Stones or solo albums? It seems Mick himself has already answered that question in the last year by at last publicly conceding that fans don't respond to newer material in concert.

Mick is a neophyte, he likes to be perceived as current. The reason that Stones albums have sounded the way they have in the last 35 years (with the notable exception of Voodoo Lounge, where the values of Don Was prevailed) is because of Mick's keen interest in what is popular at the time, be it musical styles or production values. If Keith had his way, every album after Tattoo You would have sounded like Talk Is Cheap--he would never have brought in the Dust Brothers on Bridges To Babylon.

Mick has finally accepted that fans just want the Stones of 1969, etc., and that a new album would be a waste of time. Much as he'd like to record a new Stones album--and he has mentioned that he would like to--there just doesn't seem to be a point if even Stones fans themselves wouldn't want to hear the songs performed live.

The only reason there was even a Doom And Gloom and a One More Shot was that these were required by their record contract as part of the GRRR! package. They were already completed leftovers from solo sessions never intended to be Stones tracks, but were recorded as such not out of inspiration to expand the catalog, but to fulfill a record company quota.

To most fans, a new album whether Stones or solo doesn't matter--they already know what they want to hear and there are only so many songs that can be played in 2 hours plus.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: September 1, 2013 23:35

No doubt the police of the Holy Cheerleader Church will try to arrest me for this but since KR's artistic output has been far too close to zero the last 20 years (and the 10 years before that hasn't been a fantastic goldmine as well) I think the best thing to wait for would be a solo album by MJ produced by Rick Rubin or...wait for other musical adventures by MJ.
A musically (and otherwise) much better developed artist highly underestimated by (amongst others) RS fans given the fact that people ask "Next album...Stones or Winos?" So its KR or KR? Ridiculous question.
Everybody seems to be waiting or hoping for KR: why? Just for old times sake and not based on reality at all.
I like the guy, no mistake about that. But I thought after BtB he should stop and that would make me respect the guy al hell of a lot more.
It would have been great for the creative process of the RS and/or the individual members if KR acknowledged years ago he no longer could deliver and stepped out of that process and maybe leave the RS. Would be more interesting to see what the rest could do with that; stop with the RS or continue and maybe get better without KR, who knows? Now they remain an oldies band with people waiting for an album after BtB and ABB...yeah!...while everybody knows for years they don't get better WITH KR...
Christ in shitty napkins: what is the guy producing the last 15 years to seriously expect a "Next album...Stones or Winos"??

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 2, 2013 00:12

24FPS
Stoneage

There you go. I can't listen to Keith Richards sing for a whole album, or listen to the way they record Steve Jordan's drums. And the Stones, come on, the tour showed they ain't going to change any musicians. We're stuck with Darryl and Chuck forever, and that ain't good. And please, if One More Shot is the level of songwriting we're going to get from Keith, just let him rest on his laurels. It's over, folks. It was nice they did an oldies show with just a tiny bit of Mick Taylor thrown in. And they'll probably take that act around the globe one last time. But a Stones studio record? Why?

One more shot is a good song ruined by Mick's interpretation and his useless 'na-na-na-na-na'...live version is even worse. This song was created by Keef and Steve for Winos and played by them would certainly have been better. The natural sequel of 'How i wish' and 'Eileen'.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: September 2, 2013 00:30

KRiffhard
24FPS
Stoneage

One more shot is a good song ruined by Mick's interpretation and his useless 'na-na-na-na-na'...live version is even worse. This song was created by Keef and Steve for Winos and played by them would certainly have been better. The natural sequel of 'How i wish' and 'Eileen'.

Yes...more of the boring same: boom-boom tsjeka-boom, boom-boom tsjeka-boom.
Oh and with some 'singing' of course by KR.
Yaaaaawn...

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 2, 2013 00:36

A Deluxe release of Aftermath will do for me....there must be some unreleased tapes with outtakes I guess

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 2, 2013 00:38

KRiffhard
24FPS
Stoneage

The biggest problem with One More Shot is the deceptive intro--it sounds like an off-key version of Street Fighting Man.

At the 50 & Counting show I attended, when the intro for OMS came in fans started cheering wildly as if to greet an anticipated Stones classic they all knew and wanted to hear, but after a few seconds when they realized it wasn't Street Fighting Man, the cheering and applause subsided to a confused muddle and stopped altogether. Throughout the rest of the song fans sat there, still and in mute silence, before politely applauding when the song was over.

This was the same reaction through Doom and Gloom as well, though at least a few people danced throughout that number. But otherwise the song was greeted with a muted lack of enthusiasm followed by tepid applause.

Mick was right, fans only want the chestnuts. They are ceremonial figures now, and that is all.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 2, 2013 00:44

I don't understand the interest in a Winos record. As somebody mentioned they were already running on fumes on their second album, which was...how many years ago? Pretty much a one-dimensional side project that was interesting for a few years at best. It yielded exactly one very good album and one rather mediocre one.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: September 2, 2013 02:26

I'd prefer a new Ronnie albumin over one Keef - Woody's last one was excellent and unfortunately Keef ran out of inspiration years ago.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1061
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home