Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Favourite Hendrix Album
Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: August 27, 2013 00:55

I know it's a live album, but I'm really falling in love with Band of Gypsys.

The lineup with Billy Cox and Buddy Miles is so much better imo.

Re: OT: Favourite Hendrix Album
Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: August 27, 2013 01:02

Bastion
I know it's a live album, but I'm really falling in love with Band of Gypsys.

Agree 100%! One of my all time favourites.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 27, 2013 01:04

.... Are You Experienced ....
Third Stone From The Sun still sounds like a train-load of beasts on their way to slaughter ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 27, 2013 01:07

Can't beat the 1st three and Rainbow Bridge.

I don't think he ever died, seems like every time I turn around there is another release!smoking smiley

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 27, 2013 01:13

My faves are probably Axis Bold As Love and First Rays of the New Rising Sun. Rainbow Bridge is a great one too, even if it was a "soundtrack" and not authorised by Jimi.

I also love Band of Gypsies, very heavy and funky. They were very influential on my own guitar playing years ago.

Date: August 27, 2013 01:14

First Rays of the New Rising Sun

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 27, 2013 01:14

Axis: Bold As Love

A total inspiration! The album that got me in to playing guitar.

I love the joyful, free flowing nature of The Jimi Hendrix Experience with Noel and Mitch.

Things got more advanced and heavier later, but there's something special about the late 1966 - Christmas 1967 period and the first two albums.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: August 27, 2013 01:22

Axis Bold As Love is my favourite.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 27, 2013 01:24

Rockman
.... Are You Experienced ....
Third Stone From The Sun still sounds like a train-load of beasts on their way to slaughter ...

Oh yes!!!drinking smiley

Posted by: Laughingsam ()
Date: August 27, 2013 01:34

Bastion

Cox fit right in with Jimi's style and I prefer him to Noel Redding. Buddy Miles was a different story, though, he wasn't as versatile as Mitch Mitchell, didn't playoff of Jimi as well, and brought too much personality to live performances. Who the hell scats into a microphone during a Hendrix solo?! Plus the guy had a big mouth and constantly butted heads with those around him.

The best lineup was Hendrix/Cox/Mitchell from 1970.

Best proper studio album is "Electric ladyland"
Best live album is "Hendrix In The West" (the 2011 reissue)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-27 01:39 by Laughingsam.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: August 27, 2013 02:48

cry of love

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 27, 2013 02:51

Band of Gypsys. One man, one guitar, live. His finest moment on stage.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 27, 2013 02:59

Love Hendrix in the West for sure! The version of Little Wing rocks!

Best for me was probably Rainbow Bridge....Pali Gap alone makes it amazing. I was in Maui at the time of that concert and quite possibly the vibrations effected my young developing synapses forever.

Honerable mention to Cry of Love , even though First Rays.. copped it all later.

Drifting, Angel, My Friend, Belly Button Window....just fantastic. peace

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 27, 2013 03:29

Axis Bold as Love was a very important album for Hendrix and his musician friends.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: August 27, 2013 03:39

Without a doubt, for me, " Electric Ladyland" -- got it when it first came out, and all these decades later, still discovering new wonders in its production. Stunning. Always a favorite-never gets tired.

Second, " Axis" -- so good

Third-- "Are You Experienced"-- my Dad brought it back for me on a business trip to England back in 1967 ( along with Sgt Pepper & Between the Buttons)
had never heard of Hendrix who was huge in England at the time and the album blew my young mind--

Other favorites: Band of Gypsys, Hendrix in the West, New Rays -- also like the "Woke Up This Morning and Found Myself Dead" release- Hendrix live at the Scene in NYC with Johnny Winter and Jim Morrison-- Morrison is a total drunken @#$%&, but the music is pretty cool

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 27, 2013 04:48

What a great Dad!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 27, 2013 08:05

Just as the axis....

Axis: Bald as Love The most beautiful guitar-playing I have ever heard coming from a human being...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: August 27, 2013 10:26

These are my favorite Jimi Hendrix albums that brought so much joy in my life since a long time.

1. Are You Experienced.
2. Axis Bold As Love.
3. Electric Ladyland.
4. Band of Gypsies.
5. Live at Woodstock.
6. Live at Winterland.

If 6 Was 9..."Easy Rider"- soundtrack.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-27 14:38 by runaway.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 27, 2013 10:34

I am not the biggest Hendrix fan...I can see and hear he was and still is the best electric guitarist ever, but I don't like his songwriting and singing all that much. Live it all can be very messy, noisy and out of tune, and Mitch Mitchel's style didn't really help to make it a bit more steady.

That said, Live At The Fillmore East remains one of my biggest influences, I just find it a fantastic. One can get so frigging jealous, especially when you see the B/W footage: Hendrix standing there still concentrating, and all this fantastic music is just flowing out of him, making it all looks so easy and simple.

Mathijs

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 27, 2013 12:35

Electric Ladyland. Still sounds fresh today.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 27, 2013 12:46

His songs peaked on Axis Bold As Love.

His playing and studio mastery peaked on Electric Ladyland.

Date: August 27, 2013 12:56

Silver Dagger

i actually think what he was doing at the end of his life was his best stuff

Posted by: Matt ()
Date: August 27, 2013 13:19

Are you experienced?
Mats

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 27, 2013 13:31

Damn hard to say, all of his released studio albums during his way too short life time were masterpieces by their own rights. ARE YOU EXPERIENCED was full of straight-forward, masterful rockers, classics about all of them, AXIS gave us a more nuanced, psycheledic spectrum, and LADYLAND deep-going thoroughness. And all of them, were released - what? - during eighteen months or so? And the stuff released in CRY OF LOVE and RAINBOW BRIDGE - the FIRST RAYS OF THE NEW RISING SUN material - was fabulous as well. And one cannot forget BAND OF GYPSIES, an important release, either....

Personally my most important Hendrix album was my first, SMASH HITS. That totally blew my mind, and those feelings cannot be repeated. I don't think that any other record ever - not even a Stones one - had made me so instant huge impression as that one did back then (was it 1981?).

So, let the vote go.... "objectively" to ELECTRIC LADYLAND, subjectively to SMASH HITS for personal reasons.

- Doxa

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 27, 2013 13:33

keefriffhard4life
Silver Dagger

Wow - like what. I'd love to have heard his jams with Miles Davis. I love the songs off Cry of Love and Pali Gap is incredible but I can't say I'd put them over his Experience material.
Noel Redding was a good friend of mine and I remember him ticking me off for saying I was hugely into early 'Hendrix'. He said 'you mean the Experience'. I never made that mistake again. Anyway, I digress....

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 27, 2013 13:42

The Stars That Play With Laughin' Sam's Dice --- Is still a blow-out...
....Don't open that door...don't open that door ... aw well that's the way it goes

ROCKMAN

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 27, 2013 13:53

electric ladyland

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: August 27, 2013 14:05

I like almost everything Hendrix has released cause he was such an innovating and beautiful player. I always wonder what it would have sounded like if his planned collaboration with Miles Davis would have seen the light of the day. Probably one of his best rarities if he hadn't passed away too early.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: SilverBlanket ()
Date: August 27, 2013 14:24

Axis bold as love thumbs up

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: August 27, 2013 15:10

keefriffhard4life
Silver Dagger

I would agree-though that is not to minimize the Experience albums. The three officially released Experience albums are all classics but you really can't say there was any decline in the quality of both his live and studio work post-Electric Ladyland. Several of his posthumous releases and the Band of Gypsies album alone bear this out. Songs like "Dolly Dagger," "Roomful of Mirrors," "Angel" are at the very least on-par with any of the Experience material.

It's quite possible had he lived, Hendrix would've created music in the '70s to exceed his '60s work. But it would've been different, possibly more a jazz-fusion and funk hybrid (of course this just conjecture on my part), but the shadow of his '60s work would always loom large and like most artists, anything he released would've been compared to those earlier seminal albums.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2144
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home