Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Pay Your Dues Guitar Question
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 18, 2013 15:33

Who is on guitar, playing those high notes? During and after the chorus, ~0:45, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-18 15:34 by MingSubu.

Re: Pay Your Dues Guitar Question
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 18, 2013 15:37

That's gotta be Ronnie Wood with that weird looking yellowish guitar thingy...

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 18, 2013 16:44

Probable line-up:

Drums: Charlie Watts
Bass: Keith Richards
Acoustic guitars: Keith Richards
Vocals: Mick Jagger
Piano: Nicky Hopkins
Sitar: Brian Jones
Tamboura: Brian Jones
Shehnai: Dave Mason

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 18, 2013 17:23

I didn't know what a shehnai was.............for does who are interested................

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: August 18, 2013 20:49

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: August 18, 2013 20:52

Munichhilton
That's gotta be Ronnie Wood with that weird looking yellowish guitar thingy...

Ronnie?

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: August 18, 2013 21:06

that high guitar sounds obviously speed up so I bet that was Keith at double speed. He had the chops for that back then...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 20, 2013 12:26

That's been attributed to Rick Grech on electric violin by some, not so sure myself as there seem to be som very guitar and very Keith like licks in there.

The recorded slower and then sped up tape of Keith on guitar certainly seems plausible to me.

I think it's possible that this was done for his Sympathy solo too.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 20, 2013 12:55

His Majesty
That's been attributed to Rick Grech on electric violin by some, not so sure myself as there seem to be som very guitar and very Keith like licks in there.

The recorded slower and then sped up tape of Keith on guitar certainly seems plausible to me.

I think it's possible that this was done for his Sympathy solo too.

It sure sounds like Keith to me, and certainly not a violin.

Concerning recording the solo's at slower speed: on both tracks I do not hear anything that can not be played (by Keith, in 1968) at normal speed.

I bet there was some editing involved though -he probably recorded two dozen licks, and they spliced it all together to get this fantastic solo.

Mathijs

Date: August 20, 2013 13:04

To play the licks on Pay Your Dues requires playing at top of the fretboard a lot, quite awkward, but also some licks to seem to be some what more speedy than we are used to hearing from Keith.

Regarding Sympathy, the opening lick slowed right down shows that it has more notes than most seem to realise, at least judging by the YouTube attempts at it. There isn't any prior recorded evidence showing Keith playing something so fast.

He doesn't play it the same in the One Plus One film, he plays it more like Youtubers do in that. grinning smiley

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 20, 2013 23:20

I say : Big Jim Sullivan.

At first on the top of my head I thought Jimmy Page but then I wasn't convinced.
I did a research on Necrophilia the song and i got it linked with Metamorphosis.
I looked at the list on musicians for that album and Jimmy was listed and also Big Jim Sullivan. So between the 2, I 'll Sullivan.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: August 20, 2013 23:51

Fascinating early version. Whether it's 'Pay Your Dues' or 'Street Fighting Man,' it's a great sounding track and I love it.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: August 21, 2013 00:00

Carnaby

Real show offs these guys were. I can see the lead guitar solo behind his back and standing on the bass...but why can't the drummer just sit down and play the drums?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 21, 2013 00:02

nightskyman
Carnaby

Real show offs these guys were. I can see the lead guitar solo behind his back and standing on the bass...but why can't the drummer just sit down and play the drums?

The same reason why the guitarist and the bass player don't stand up and play the guitar straight up confused smiley

Date: August 21, 2013 01:13

rollmops
I say : Big Jim Sullivan.

At first on the top of my head I thought Jimmy Page but then I wasn't convinced.
I did a research on Necrophilia the song and i got it linked with Metamorphosis.
I looked at the list on musicians for that album and Jimmy was listed and also Big Jim Sullivan. So between the 2, I 'll Sullivan.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Don't be silly. Those credits are for the obvious non stones tracks on the album.

Date: August 21, 2013 14:42

Doesn't sound like Keith to me. Some fast runs in the ending that he never does.

Dave Mason?

Date: August 21, 2013 14:53

DandelionPowderman
Doesn't sound like Keith to me. Some fast runs in the ending that he never does.

Dave Mason?

Could be, or indeed an electric violin as there are some weirdness going on inbetween some of the licks.

smiling smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 21, 2013 15:45

His Majesty
To play the licks on Pay Your Dues requires playing at top of the fretboard a lot, quite awkward, but also some licks to seem to be some what more speedy than we are used to hearing from Keith.

Regarding Sympathy, the opening lick slowed right down shows that it has more notes than most seem to realise, at least judging by the YouTube attempts at it. There isn't any prior recorded evidence showing Keith playing something so fast.

He doesn't play it the same in the One Plus One film, he plays it more like Youtubers do in that. grinning smiley

It sounds a lot like what happens if you fully open the fuzz on the Supreme -it makes it all sound a lot faster, with the hammer-ons suddenly flting out!

Mathijs

Date: August 21, 2013 16:51

It does have the Vox solid state sound, but with so much upper fret work, I'm on the fence as to whether it is a guitar or not. grinning smiley

A better quality recording would be helpful.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1466
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home