Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

First time seen Satisfaction clip with Brian on acoustic!
Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: February 3, 2011 05:37

I thought that I had seen them all!

Re: First time seen Satisfaction clip with Brian on acoustic!
Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: February 3, 2011 05:45

Sweet !

Nice find , what show was that ? Anyone know ?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 3, 2011 05:51

One of those live vocals over pre-recorded instruments. Keith doesn't even bother with the riff. This looks like Shindig.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: February 3, 2011 10:40

Yes, first ever performance of Satisfaction!
Brian is also on harmonica...

Shindig, May 20, 1965.
The backing track may have been recorded at Chess, May 10.

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: February 3, 2011 10:47

For the guitarists: notice where Keith is playing the riff, not in first position on the 5th string (as he does now) but way up the neck on the 6th string. First noticed this on Ready Steady Go where you could see him really slide into that 1st note

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 3, 2011 11:08

vox12string
For the guitarists: notice where Keith is playing the riff, not in first position on the 5th string (as he does now) but way up the neck on the 6th string. First noticed this on Ready Steady Go where you could see him really slide into that 1st note

I did and one would like to know if that's how he recorded it. Very cool Brian in that clip.

Date: February 3, 2011 11:12

Yes, Keith playing the riff up there in C was the first thing I noticed. Jagger looks weird too. Brian actually follows the real riff with chords going E-A-D.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 3, 2011 12:37

Redhotcarpet
vox12string

I did and one would like to know if that's how he recorded it. Very cool Brian in that clip.

I would think so, as he played it this way on the '69 and '71 tours as well, and even at Knebworth. I think he started playing the riff on the A-string, second position not before '81.

Mathijs

Date: February 3, 2011 12:48

Didn't he go an octave up, playing the riff on the G-string in 69-71? Ruins the song for me...

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: February 3, 2011 16:46

I've always thought the acoustic on Satisfaction was great, adds a really nice texture. I know Mathijs in the past has said it was Keith playing the acoustic, but I doubt it.

Date: February 3, 2011 19:01

DandelionPowderman
Didn't he go an octave up, playing the riff on the G-string in 69-71? Ruins the song for me...

Yeah he did, he altered between A and G string. I always liked it, especially at the end of the track in '69, this akward buzzing riff on the G-string.

Mathijs

Date: February 3, 2011 19:14

neptune
I've always thought the acoustic on Satisfaction was great, adds a really nice texture. I know Mathijs in the past has said it was Keith playing the acoustic, but I doubt it.

The acoustic is fantastic, it actually holds the song together. Without it, it would sound empty and dull, like an outtake it actually was (there's still a huge mistake in the riff by Keith that they didn't repair).

And yeah, I still maintain that the acoustic is Keith, it just totally sounds like him. Brian did play harmonica on the first version, and the second version was a quick demo with Keith only. That latter version was released.

Mathijs

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 3, 2011 19:19

Mathijs
And yeah, I still maintain that the acoustic is Keith, it just totally sounds like him. Brian did play harmonica on the first version, and the second version was a quick demo with Keith only. That latter version was released.

Mathijs

What info do we have that backs this up?

I'm on the fence about who played the acoustic, I don't think there's anything in there that suggests it's one or the other. I also don't think the part is anything special, but either of them could have played it imo.

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: February 3, 2011 19:33

Great clip; thank you.

Although I can't be the only one who finds the sudden appearance of the dancers to be slightly macabre, can I?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 3, 2011 19:36

You know, back then, dancers appearing out of nowhere was standard. I have episodes of Hullabaloo that are hilarious.

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: February 3, 2011 19:39

How did anyone know they were on drugs, I wonder? I feel like I'm tripping balls.

Perfectly fine and then these ghostly lunatics appear.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: February 3, 2011 23:09

Mathijs

I will say it's Brian on the acoustic because there's not one instance of Keith's typical folksy run of notes here, just simple strumming of chords throughout the entire song (which is very un-Keith-like). It was very rare by 1965 for Keith to play all guitar parts in a song, since Brian hadn't yet lost total interest in guitar. Not until Buttons did Keith begin dubbing all guitar parts.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 4, 2011 01:57

To be fair, Keith doesn't do any of that fancy runs for his acoustic rhythm part for The Last Time, Not Fade Away etc.

I think whoever played it simply played what was needed. No fancy lines were required so there aren't any.

If Keith played the acoustic on the song, it must have been overdubbed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2054
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home