Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: Sid Vicious died 32 years ago today.
Posted by: Mainman ()
Date: February 3, 2011 14:35

I hope he rots in hell.

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: February 3, 2011 14:46

I don't idolize Sid by any means, but there's a strong argument to be made that Sid wasn't the one who killed Nancy. There's even a movie about this.

[www.whokillednancy.com]

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: February 3, 2011 15:27

In my best Neil Young impression..."the king is dead & no longer with us,is this the story of sid vicious "

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: February 3, 2011 18:11

I too knew John. He used to practice bass by listening to Rush LPs. He was really talented but publicly downplayed his bass-playing abilities in order to maintain his crude image. He could have played like John Entwistle if he had allowed himself.

Very sad.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: February 3, 2011 18:16

MILKYWAY
I too knew John. He used to practice bass by listening to Rush LPs. He was really talented but publicly downplayed his bass-playing abilities in order to maintain his crude image. He could have played like John Entwistle if he had allowed himself.

Very sad.

You definitely have a talent for making me shake my head.

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: February 3, 2011 18:39

I've always wondered what would happened with the pistols if Glenn Matlock had not left the band...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-03 18:57 by steffiestones.

Re: Sid Vicious died 32 years ago today.
Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: February 3, 2011 18:54

Silver Dagger
Nikolai
lettingitbleed
Yes, great image and attitude, but zero talent as a bass player. Big Sex Pistols fan, but dude could not play. McClaren hired him because he looked the part.

Johnny Rotten brought him into the group after they cleverly fired their main songwriter and bassist, Glen Matlock. Sid then fell in love with his image, Nancy Spungen and heroin in that order.

Opinions are mixed about him as a person. Nick Kent called him "The Exploding Dimwit". Others who knew him insist he was clever and sharp ... until the smack got hold of him. One thing everyone agrees with - he couldn't play for shit.

His greatest moment was My Way.

I actually knew the guy and went to college with him in Kings Cross, north London from 74/76. We were mates for about 2 years and used to bunk into shows (crash them) until he joined the Sex Pistols and his head went up his arse.

During this time I witnessed a goof ball but generally fun guy to be around degenerate into a nasty, violent and self-loathing junkie which was really sad.

The last time I spoke to him he was proudly waiting in an alley way in posh Hampstead, north London, to mug old ladies and relieve them of the contents of their handbags.

The last time I saw him was on stage with the Sex Pistols at Uxbridge University in Dec 77 - quite an experience as I was taking photos and was literally pushed onto his side of the stage and he was about to take a swing at me when I dived back into the crowd.

Thanks for your insights, man. So you saw the SPOTS tour?

Date: February 3, 2011 18:58

Silver Dagger
Edith Grove
Silver Dagger
I actually knew the guy and went to college with him in Kings Cross, north London from 74/76. We were mates for about 2 years and used to bunk into shows (crash them) until he joined the Sex Pistols and his head went up his arse.

During this time I witnessed a goof ball but generally fun guy to be around degenerate into a nasty, violent and self-loathing junkie which was really sad.

The last time I spoke to him he was proudly waiting in an alley way in posh Hampstead, north London, to mug old ladies and relieve them of the contents of their handbags.

The last time I saw him was on stage with the Sex Pistols at Uxbridge University in Dec 77 - quite an experience as I was taking photos and was literally pushed onto his side of the stage and he was about to take a swing at me when I dived back into the crowd.

Wow, SD! I wouldn't mind hearing more stories like this if you'd like to share.

BTW, this doesn't sound anything like a story I heard from a tour guide in London back in '03 who basically told me that Vicious was "mentally challenged," who could do no better than to barely hold a job at Whitely's before going with the Pistols.

I first met Sid on a night when students at my college - Kingsway-Princeton - overtook the place in a demonstration against education cuts.

There was a knock on the door outside and it was this guy all dressed in black who asked me if 'John' was around. I hadn't the faintest idea who he met but invited him in and we sat down and talked - mainly about music. He mentioned liking some of the bands that I was into at the time like The Pink Fairies, Hawkwind,Roxy Music, Alice Cooper, The Stones and most importantly Syd Barrett from whence he got his name. I thought he was an interesting guy. Half an hour later he went off to find his friend John who I know now was John Lydon - a guy I used to see stalking the college corridors with long dyed henna hair and a badge bearing the legend 'In Search Of Eddie Riff'. That was the name of an album by Roxy Music sax and oboe player Andy Mackay.

As I said, over time we became mates and hung out together but bad blood brewed after he took a shine to my girlfriend.
He moved into a squat with my best friend and I used to see him whenever I went up there but by this time he was starting to get into bad habits, inspired by his other hero Keef.
I remember a few occasions where he was so strung out that he would come to college on the coldest winter's day in just a string vest.

In the next year of college I returned late only to find that my place in cinema studies was taken by him. He was never Sid to me, always Spiky John because of his hair. The Sid name really only came about in mid 76 after he styarted hanging about at Sex on the the Kings Road.

Wonderful stuff. John Lydon has always claimed that he gave Sid his name, after his pet hamster (called Sid) bit Mr Vicious on the finger - hence the second half of the moniker. But Syd Barrett first took to calling himself "Sid Vicious", so what you say is more than likely where it came from. Besides, John Lydon is now as good as claiming credit for inventing absolutely everything to do with punk - in short, he's out-McLarened McLaren.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 3, 2011 19:20

Nikolai
Silver Dagger
Nikolai
lettingitbleed
Yes, great image and attitude, but zero talent as a bass player. Big Sex Pistols fan, but dude could not play. McClaren hired him because he looked the part.

Johnny Rotten brought him into the group after they cleverly fired their main songwriter and bassist, Glen Matlock. Sid then fell in love with his image, Nancy Spungen and heroin in that order.

Opinions are mixed about him as a person. Nick Kent called him "The Exploding Dimwit". Others who knew him insist he was clever and sharp ... until the smack got hold of him. One thing everyone agrees with - he couldn't play for shit.

Yep - sure did Nik. One of my top 10 gigs of all time. I was in the front row taking photos too. I'm looking for a recording of the gig if you know of any?

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: February 3, 2011 19:47

I finally got around to watching the HBO/BBC produced mini-series Rome. It occurred to me that towards the end of the second series when we catch back up with a now decadent mark Anthony and Cleopatra in Egypt that they were well and truly The Sid and Nancy of Antiquity!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-03 20:42 by deadegad.

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: February 3, 2011 20:05

I like some of the Sex Pistols' songs but I'm one of those who think they were finished as soon as they dumped Matlock and hired Sid Vicious. Not only was Matlock the main musical songwriter, which would have made the change bad enough, but Sid was a bad cartoon of a punk. And has since - and at the time - been accepted as a good cartoon of a punk.

That said, I do feel sorry for the silly sod. I'd possibly feel less so if some of the stories about him were true. No, I'd still feel sorry but I would despise him rather than regret him.

Date: February 3, 2011 21:16

Silver Dagger
Nikolai
Silver Dagger
Nikolai
lettingitbleed

Yep - sure did Nik. One of my top 10 gigs of all time. I was in the front row taking photos too. I'm looking for a recording of the gig if you know of any?

I'm envious. I saw the reformed Pistols at the Shepherd's Bush Empire in '96. Great gig, but more panto than anything else. I skipped the other reunions.

Try this place:

[sex-pistols-pil-live.blogspot.com]

Some terrific stuff on there.

Have you heard that the complete Goodman sessions are going to be issued later this year? 'X-Spunk' the thing's called. Goodman finished mixing the sessions for CD shortly before he died, and sent a copy to Glen Matlock - along with a properly mixed version of the Burton gig from '76.

I never get tired of hearing that stuff.

Date: February 3, 2011 21:19

Squiggle
I like some of the Sex Pistols' songs but I'm one of those who think they were finished as soon as they dumped Matlock and hired Sid Vicious. Not only was Matlock the main musical songwriter, which would have made the change bad enough, but Sid was a bad cartoon of a punk. And has since - and at the time - been accepted as a good cartoon of a punk.

That said, I do feel sorry for the silly sod. I'd possibly feel less so if some of the stories about him were true. No, I'd still feel sorry but I would despise him rather than regret him.

I wouldn't say they were entirely finished. They wrote 'Holidays in the Sun' (with Steve Jones nicking the riff from The Jam's In The City) and 'Bodies' after Glen was booted out. They played a couple of blinders too - including some shows on the US tour. Check out that vituperative version of No Fun from Winterland.

Now, I hasten to add, that these musical miracles occurred without Sid's involvement. grinning smiley

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: February 3, 2011 22:16

Love the Pistols as a band and a phenomenon but any sympathy I may have felt for Sid Vicious vanished when I saw the part of Who Killed Nancy where (I think) Matlock's friend recounted how Vicious used his belt to strangle a cat. Not quite right in the head, obviously. Also, Lydon's account of his 'food preparation' in his autobiography is a bit hard to stomache.

Date: February 3, 2011 22:38

Nikolai
Silver Dagger
Nikolai
Silver Dagger
Nikolai
lettingitbleed

I'm envious. I saw the reformed Pistols at the Shepherd's Bush Empire in '96. Great gig, but more panto than anything else. I skipped the other reunions.

Try this place:

Have you heard that the complete Goodman sessions are going to be issued later this year? 'X-Spunk' the thing's called. Goodman finished mixing the sessions for CD shortly before he died, and sent a copy to Glen Matlock - along with a properly mixed version of the Burton gig from '76.

Excellent stuff Nik. It's there but apparently awful quality. Anyway, better than nothing. The other ones I'm lookiong for desperately that I went to from that time are The Clash at the Rainbow 78 Sthey were supported by Sham 69 and Tanz Der Youth) and at the Lyceum at Christmas 78, I think...or was it 79?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 3, 2011 22:43

mariannerl
Back in 1984 I lived for a while (a few weeks) in the hotel room he had years before (he lived there also for a longer time if that is true..). At the Ferndale in London. I did not know but about it but the owner, Maurice, told me so. There should be a small scene in the "swindle" movie where you can see the hotel. At the time I lived there, another musician (singer) lived there. But I rather don't mention it here (political reasons..). Funny thing was, that I was asked to deposit a guitar in my room for a couple of days, from a member of that -better not named- band. But since I don't know the difference between a bass or something else... maybe it was bass guitar. Who knows?

Yeah, I knew Unnamed and Better not say back in the day. Who was on first and what was on second. IDK on third, I think. WTF is this post about?

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 3, 2011 23:06

A fantastic natural air guitarist who accidently picked up a real guitar.

Date: February 3, 2011 23:47

parislocksmith
Love the Pistols as a band and a phenomenon but any sympathy I may have felt for Sid Vicious vanished when I saw the part of Who Killed Nancy where (I think) Matlock's friend recounted how Vicious used his belt to strangle a cat. Not quite right in the head, obviously. Also, Lydon's account of his 'food preparation' in his autobiography is a bit hard to stomache.

"And to think, I killed a cat," sang Sid in my way.

He was damaged goods, His junkie mum didn't help matters. In fact, she was the one who gave him the smack that killed him.

Sid and Nacy's was a mutually destructive relationship from the off, Sid and Nancy's. She was abusive to him as he was to her. In fact,she might have egged him on as well. Nancy had a death wish. Sid pretty much followed her lead.

As for Lydon's - urm - culinary techniques ... Yes, well, next. Oh, did you hear the story about the sandwich Steve Jones prepared for Glen ...?

Date: February 3, 2011 23:56

Silver Dagger
Nikolai
Silver Dagger
Nikolai
Silver Dagger
Nikolai
lettingitbleed

Try this place:

Excellent stuff Nik. It's there but apparently awful quality. Anyway, better than nothing. The other ones I'm lookiong for desperately that I went to from that time are The Clash at the Rainbow 78 Sthey were supported by Sham 69 and Tanz Der Youth) and at the Lyceum at Christmas 78, I think...or was it 79?

Try this one for The Clash. It's there - and lots, LOTS more.

[www.clashcity.com]

A soundboard

Christmas 78 ... while you were at The Clash, yours truly was at the second PiL gig at the Rainbow. Boxing Day one. Scary, but I loved it. Rival football firms having pitched battles, beer cans flying everywhere, everyone speeding. My third ever gig.

Linton Kwesi Johnson supported. He was awesome and otherworldly.

PiL played Belsen - a weird choice, because it was a (then) unreleased and unrecorded Pistols song - based on a Sid lyric.

Date: February 4, 2011 00:13

Nikolai
Silver Dagger
Nikolai
Silver Dagger
Nikolai
Silver Dagger
Nikolai
lettingitbleed

Try this place:

[www.clashcity.com]

A soundboard

Christmas 78 ... while you were at The Clash, yours truly was at the second PiL gig at the Rainbow. Boxing Day one. Scary, but I loved it. Rival football firms having pitched battles, beer cans flying everywhere, everyone speeding. My third ever gig.

PiL played Belsen - a weird choice, because it was a (then) unreleased and unrecorded Pistols song - based on a Sid lyric.

Great stuff Nik. That's a drink I owe you for that. Are you going to the Ronnie, Bill and Charlie gig next month? If so, meet me beforehand for a beer.

Date: February 4, 2011 00:25

Silver Dagger
Nikolai
Silver Dagger
Nikolai
Silver Dagger
Nikolai
Silver Dagger
Nikolai
lettingitbleed

Try this place:

[www.clashcity.com]

A soundboard

Great stuff Nik. That's a drink I owe you for that. Are you going to the Ronnie, Bill and Charlie gig next month? If so, meet me beforehand for a beer.

I'm not. but I may hold you to it if The Stones ever tour again ... winking smiley

By the way, PiL are putting together a European tour. Mostly festivals so far, although they're doing gigs in Dublin and Brussels. They're having to do it themselves, as no promoter will touch them - or so I hear.

Date: February 4, 2011 00:27

Nikolai
Silver Dagger
Nikolai
Silver Dagger
Nikolai
Silver Dagger
Nikolai
Silver Dagger
Nikolai
lettingitbleed

Try this place:

[www.clashcity.com]

A soundboard

I'm not. but I may hold you to it if The Stones ever tour again ... winking smiley

By the way, PiL are putting together a European tour. Mostly festivals so far, although they're doing gigs in Dublin and Brussels. They're having to do it themselves, as no promoter will touch them - or so I hear.

Will have to catch them next time as I've never seen them. Apparently they were brilliant last time round. Gutted I didn't go.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: February 4, 2011 00:30

Quotes are getting long here. drinking smiley

Date: February 4, 2011 00:51

Edith Grove
Quotes are getting long here. drinking smiley

Size isn't everything Edith - it's the quality! smileys with beer

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 4, 2011 01:58

parislocksmith

correct.
Anyone who deliberately injures women or pets deserves to have his head shoved up his arse. What a dickhead.

RIP with a horse up ya arse....

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: February 4, 2011 03:54

Eleanor Rigby
parislocksmith

correct.
Anyone who deliberately injures women or pets deserves to have his head shoved up his arse. What a dickhead.

RIP with a horse up ya arse....

Yeah, I agree. I haven't seen the movie, and never heard that story before...and I never really noticed that line in his version of "My Way". My opinion of Sid just went waaaaaay down.

The Pistols didn't have any choice but to fire Glen Matlock though. After all, he liked the Beatles... (just kidding!)

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: February 4, 2011 04:13

MKjan
A fantastic natural air guitarist who accidently picked up a real guitar.

LOL!!!

And a snarling face with attitude was an essential ingredient.

This reminds me of an old interview with Mick around the time of Some Girls in which he claimed The Stones were the biggest punk band of all. The interviewer pointed out the limos, etc., etc., etc..

And Mick said shh! It's the attitude!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 4, 2011 06:37

Of course, Punk turned into a degenarate pop subculture; into a lifestyle and a dresscode more than a political statement. The punk-kids with orange hair and safety pins stuck in their cheeks were mere fools, as Johnny Rotten, probably, would have told you.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: February 4, 2011 08:00

If nothing else, the GOODFELLAS closing credits with Sid Vicious singing My Way over them was contribution enough from him. (Obviously the song was out long before GOODFELLAS, but that song fit that ending so great. Maybe the Beatles' Baby You're a Rich Man playing during the closing credits of THE SOCIAL NETWORK is the only equal regarding a song-at-closing-credits.)

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: February 4, 2011 08:11

Keefan
I don't idolize Sid by any means, but there's a strong argument to be made that Sid wasn't the one who killed Nancy. There's even a movie about this.

[www.whokillednancy.com]

The recent special Rolling Stones edition of UNCUT MAGAZINE had a bunch of old Rolling Stones interviews, and the following is from a 1979 interview with keith. KEITH: "Sid - yeah. He's been a silly boy. Just because he woke up with a knife in his hands, he thinks he done it. I have a feeling he didn't. It was probably some very sharp New York dealer."

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1357
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home