Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
A new live album... Anyone?
Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: January 31, 2011 02:32

I'm still waiting for the release of a live album from the ABB tour. Am I alone?
I enjoy a lot the live albums, especially their intros.

Re: A new live album... Anyone?
Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: January 31, 2011 02:42

Not interested

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 31, 2011 02:43

....too busy tryin' ta stay alive

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 31, 2011 02:47

BB, Yes your alone..............i'm still waiting for there '68 NME release

Date: January 31, 2011 03:12

NICOS
BB, Yes your alone..............i'm still waiting for there '68 NME release
Oooh the sheets fell cold and lonely

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 31, 2011 03:13

ManuelStones
I'm still waiting for the release of a live album from the ABB tour. Am I alone?

Yep - because they already did one.

Date: January 31, 2011 03:36

Gazza
ManuelStones

You mean the Biggest Bang DVDs? I mean CD.
For me their last live album is Live Licks.

Date: January 31, 2011 03:41

ManuelStones
Gazza
ManuelStones

Shine A Light!!

Date: January 31, 2011 04:10

Gazza
ManuelStones
Gazza
ManuelStones

Shine A Light!!

You're right!!! But give me the benefit of the doubt. I see Shine a Light as a separate project from the tour and it doesn't content any ABB song!
It's not like Flashpoint to SW/UJ tour, No Security to B2B/NS, Live Licks to Licks... Comprende?

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: January 31, 2011 04:30

If you are a nerd you can strip the audio of of the The Biggest Bang DVDs.

How about a double album of the European '73 tour instead? smiling smiley Following in the footsteps of the Exile reissue. Now that would be a live album!

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 31, 2011 04:34

It would be nice to have an official release of "I Go Crazy".

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: January 31, 2011 05:22

If they do not tour again -- God Forbid -- perhaps the last shows from London would deserve an official release?

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 31, 2011 06:49

They already released a live album/theater film (Shine a Light) and a DVD set (The Biggest Bang) from the Bigger Bang tour shows. Another release so we can have an official version of their weak cover of I'll Go Crazy seems to be wretched overkill.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: January 31, 2011 10:01

I could imagine them coming sometime with a collection of previously unreleased live tracks from
various periods. A kind of document that shows their development through the decades.
I think it would even be fun to have multiple versions of Satisfaction, JJF and maybe
Street Fighting Man or Gimme Shelter on such an album. Now something like that would be
far more interesting than an ABB-tour live album.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: January 31, 2011 10:22

I can't think of any other band that has released some many live albums (and so many useless ones) during their career

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 31, 2011 10:41

ManuelStones
I enjoy a lot the live albums, especially their intros.

I think if anything we've got a surplus of live albums to date, can't see the need for another one to be honest.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 31, 2011 11:37

Why bother. Let's have one from the 72 tour instead.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 31, 2011 11:44

I would say that their live career from 1989 on is documented with any kind of relaeses (CDs, DVDs, movies) better than enough (and ABB tour has three - DVD, movie and CD - heavily related items so far) but that is not what one can say of their pre-1982 live material. For example, of unique, legendaric and important 1978 American tour we have only one song officially released ("Whip" in SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES - which is a rarity by now). Taking the fact that during the seventies the US and European 'legs' of tour had major differences in them - the sound of the band changing/developing, having a new studio album to tour behind, etc. there are some major tour totally ignored, such as incredible 1973 European tour.

Unlike with studio out-takes, there is no problem not having unfinished stuff as far live shows go. There is plenty of great finished stuff out there. They could do anything with it. Since The Stones see their point - to quote Jagger 1969 - not making records but "doing concerts", I think it could be reasonable to start releasing the stuff that without any doubt shows why the band is "the greatest rock&roll band of the world". So forget anything of ABB (or post-1989) now, and concenrate digging the vaults now. That's an order, Jagger! Show the bloody critics and music fans all over the world why you are simply the best!

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-31 11:49 by Doxa.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: January 31, 2011 11:49

Would be more interested in a live album from the Voodoo Lounge Tour. They where like hungry wolfes on that tour!

So far, only one track from the stadiums has made it onto disc: I Go Wild from the cd-single of the same name.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: January 31, 2011 12:35

Blueranger
Would be more interested in a live album from the Voodoo Lounge Tour. They where like hungry wolfes on that tour!

So far, only one track from the stadiums has made it onto disc: I Go Wild from the cd-single of the same name.
Especially the New Orleans '94 show imo

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 31, 2011 13:57

deadegad
If they do not tour again -- God Forbid -- perhaps the last shows from London would deserve an official release?

Good thought, they could combine the best of the three shows and come up with one stonking release, that's for sure.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: January 31, 2011 14:18

...after the 2012 tour?!
Sure - why not.

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Date: January 31, 2011 14:21

ManuelStones
Gazza
ManuelStones
Gazza
ManuelStones

Shine A Light!!

You're right!!! But give me the benefit of the doubt. I see Shine a Light as a separate project from the tour and it doesn't content any ABB song!
It's not like Flashpoint to SW/UJ tour, No Security to B2B/NS, Live Licks to Licks... Comprende?

most of the shows from the second half of the ABB tour featured 1-2 songs from that album at most. Some didnt feature any at all. So, its somewhat pointless to release a live album showcasing a studio record they didnt even promote properly. Looking at it that way, SAL is a reasonable document of the tour - if you're going to pick a selection of songs that accurately represented the content of many of the shows, then disc 1 of Live Licks is close enough as it was effectively a greatest hits show which repeated the same forumula from 2002--03. To release two live albums from the same tour would be absurd - especially when its hard enough convincing people that Stones live albums have any point at all these days.

Live Licks itself was basically an edited audio soundtrack of Four Flicks (most of the performances are on FF), released a year later as 'filler' by EMI with no Stones involvement at all. If thats the sort of effort they put into live releases, then maybe its best that they didnt try and repeat that formula with a similar cash-in from the ABB tour.

theyve already released a live album from the tour, theyve also released a movie and a 4-DVD set from it. Live albums are pretty redundant in general, and another one from a tour which was far from their best and which finished almost four years ago would easily be the most pointless release in their entire history.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 31, 2011 15:27

In talking about live albums nowadays I think few points needs to be noticed.

First of all, the concept of live album is one that belongs to the nostalgic past (fortunately a studio album not yet). There is no money in it. Thre appropriate vehicle for tour souveniers is DVD. Money is there. I think the change actually took place during FORTY LICKS TOUR.

If we look the Stones live albums, we can see that the concept of DVD actually saved them artistic/moneywise. Their last 'real' album that actually represented the tour was FLASHPOINT. And to this day it is still current album soundwise: the band and its nature, the arrangemnet of the songs, hasn't changed nearly at all ever since. It still as good album to apply any of their tours ever since: there are the most of the war horses with their familar arrangements (plus few 'flavor of the month' oddities). It sold nicely. To not make FLASHPOINT TAKE TWO, to make the live document more 'interesting', for the VOODOO LOUNGE TOUR they applied the current 'unplugged idea' and recorded few oddities from club dates. It sold nicely. For the next tour they skipped again the idea of FLASHPOINT vol 2. (war horses album played exatly same way they did in FLASHPOINT) and continued the habit of picking up rare songs. NO SECURITY flopped big time.

Then came the DVD format to rescue. FOUR FLICKS gave the change to recirculate the war horses set - plus few oddities - in a new form. It sold extremily well, and one can only guess the $$$ it made. Oh yeah, a double CD set was released afterwards but like Gazza described, its function was basically to fill the contract, and The Stones didn't show any interest being involved with it. It's idea was to marry FLASHPOINT and NO SECURITY together but not 'happily': each had a seperate CD. Of course, it was a flop sellwise. Its release rised many eyebrowns, for example, here at IORR at the time. You needed to be extremely hard fan to hurray its release.

A BIGGER TOUR continued the habit of teh prevuous tour, and its souvenier came in the form of another 4-disc DVD box. (There must be nice money in DVD-business). Then they have the Scorsese project. Another CD live realease was seemingly 'justified' for it being a "soundtrack" of the movie. Maybe someone bought that trick. Not many. More eyebrowns arose here at IORR.

So all in all, the idea of a 'proper' live album (CD, vinyl) as a artistic statement that gathers some public interest to gather some money, is something that has died a long ago. The Stones surely milked that out, too. It's the DVD that fills its 'souvenir'-like function (x) these days (and one can find each Stones tour since 1989 covered nicely with those by now.) I think it is natural: the visual aspect of The Stones live package/experience is such an essential part of it that a procuct without is doomed to be a torso. Another way to say it is: what the band musically offers these days does not stand in its own feet alone. I mean, to listen the version of "Jumpin' Jack Flash"/"Start Me Up"/"Brown Sugar"/"Tumblin' Dice" 1989, 1994, 1998, 2002, 2007, and think each of them deserves an independent release - aw, c'mon....eye rolling smiley

- Doxa

(x) Back in the old days when the concept of live album was created, and then for years/decades considered as a natural part of productive result of a living rock and roll band, it was not any 'souvenir'. It was an artistic statement of its own that showed the live dimension of the band in the given time: that a rock band had a seperate function in live surrondings to deliver its goods. Unfortunately for The Stones, after majestic YA-YA'S The Stones screwed up big time their 70's live peak (party due to their own reason - LOVE YOU LIVE - partly not - THE LOST LIVE ALBUM).

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-31 15:47 by Doxa.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 31, 2011 16:21

Doxa
In talking about live albums nowadays I think few points needs to be noticed.

First of all, the concept of live album is one that belongs to the nostalgic past (fortunately a studio album not yet). There is no money in it. Thre appropriate vehicle for tour souveniers is DVD. Money is there. I think the change actually took place during FORTY LICKS TOUR.

If we look the Stones live albums, we can see that the concept of DVD actually saved them artistic/moneywise. Their last 'real' album that actually represented the tour was FLASHPOINT. And to this day it is still current album soundwise: the band and its nature, the arrangemnet of the songs, hasn't changed nearly at all ever since. It still as good album to apply any of their tours ever since: there are the most of the war horses with their familar arrangements (plus few 'flavor of the month' oddities). It sold nicely. To not make FLASHPOINT TAKE TWO, to make the live document more 'interesting', for the VOODOO LOUNGE TOUR they applied the current 'unplugged idea' and recorded few oddities from club dates. It sold nicely. For the next tour they skipped again the idea of FLASHPOINT vol 2. (war horses album played exatly same way they did in FLASHPOINT) and continued the habit of picking up rare songs. NO SECURITY flopped big time.

Then came the DVD format to rescue. FOUR FLICKS gave the change to recirculate the war horses set - plus few oddities - in a new form. It sold extremily well, and one can only guess the $$$ it made. Oh yeah, a double CD set was released afterwards but like Gazza described, its function was basically to fill the contract, and The Stones didn't show any interest being involved with it. It's idea was to marry FLASHPOINT and NO SECURITY together but not 'happily': each had a seperate CD. Of course, it was a flop sellwise. Its release rised many eyebrowns, for example, here at IORR at the time. You needed to be extremely hard fan to hurray its release.

A BIGGER TOUR continued the habit of teh prevuous tour, and its souvenier came in the form of another 4-disc DVD box. (There must be nice money in DVD-business). Then they have the Scorsese project. Another CD live realease was seemingly 'justified' for it being a "soundtrack" of the movie. Maybe someone bought that trick. Not many. More eyebrowns arose here at IORR.

So all in all, the idea of a 'proper' live album (CD, vinyl) as a artistic statement that gathers some public interest to gather some money, is something that has died a long ago. The Stones surely milked that out, too. It's the DVD that fills its 'souvenir'-like function (x) these days (and one can find each Stones tour since 1989 covered nicely with those by now.) I think it is natural: the visual aspect of The Stones live package/experience is such an essential part of it that a procuct without is doomed to be a torso. Another way to say it is: what the band musically offers these days does not stand in its own feet alone. I mean, to listen the version of "Jumpin' Jack Flash"/"Start Me Up"/"Brown Sugar"/"Tumblin' Dice" 1989, 1994, 1998, 2002, 2007, and think each of them deserves an independent release - aw, c'mon....eye rolling smiley

- Doxa

(x) Back in the old days when the concept of live album was created, and then for years/decades considered as a natural part of productive result of a living rock and roll band, it was not any 'souvenir'. It was an artistic statement of its own that showed the live dimension of the band in the given time: that a rock band had a seperate function in live surrondings to deliver its goods. Unfortunately for The Stones, after majestic YA-YA'S The Stones screwed up big time their 70's live peak (party due to their own reason - LOVE YOU LIVE - partly not - THE LOST LIVE ALBUM).

Spot on. And it should not be impossible for them to release the Toronto gig 1977 as a live album - the band minus Wyman is the same (cant compare to Taylor/Jones years), they do some blues and rock classics which makes it different and it has a historical value as well. Of course they wont because then LYL becomes pointless even for a fan of their 1975-1977 era, like me.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 31, 2011 16:31

ManuelStones
Gazza
ManuelStones

..Live Licks was dissapopinting. Four Flicks on the other hand was amazing

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 31, 2011 17:56

They played very few songs live from ABB, and we have ample live material from this period anyway, why would anyone want more?

What we need is the 1973 live album, but I am sure Mr. Jagger does not want to contrast the band then with the more recent product. I hope he changes his mind.

Date: January 31, 2011 18:12

Redhotcarpet
[Spot on. And it should not be impossible for them to release the Toronto gig 1977 as a live album - the band minus Wyman is the same (cant compare to Taylor/Jones years), they do some blues and rock classics which makes it different and it has a historical value as well. Of course they wont because then LYL becomes pointless even for a fan of their 1975-1977 era, like me.

Is LYL out of print at the minute? If so, all the more reason to put out a Mocambo release.

Besides, there's only 4 songs from that show on LYL. The two releases could co-exist easily enough. Its a bit of a different rulebook when you're talking about classic archive releases, I suppose.

Main problem with an El Mocambo release though (as far as I can see) is quite simple. Apparently the tapes from the first night were unusable. So, everything has to come from the 5th March show. Even if all of THAT is usable, they still mightnt think its all release-worthy and getting enough material to fill even one CD might be a stretch. (How long did they play that night - about an hour and a half? Maybe a bit more?) And I'm sure no one likes the idea of them going into a studio 34 years after the event and overdubbing guitars and (even worse) vocals.

Its been discussed ad nauseam, and everyone has their own opinions, but the ideal scenario for me is to have complete, unedited and undubbed gigs released 'warts 'n' all' (through the website in limited editions if need be) every few months or so. Maybe even classic gigs 'series' (eg the 4 MSG'72 shows) as a boxed set like The Dead are doing. Eagle Rock's recent dips into the video archives show a new enthusiasm for taking care of that medium - hopefully they'll see a market for an audio equivalent. Its a lot to ask of the band themselves to oversee every aspect of it - they should delegate the donkey work to a committee of fans to do the research who could then submit their efforts for their approval or otherwise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-31 18:13 by Gazza.

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: January 31, 2011 18:15

slewan
I can't think of any other band that has released some many live albums (and so many useless ones) during their career
the grateful dead and pearl jam come to mind. miles davis has a lot of live albums. there are plenty of acts with more live albums than the stones. you should have thought harder winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-31 18:18 by ineedadrink.

Date: January 31, 2011 18:31

The Stones have released, what - nine live albums plus a live EP?

Dylan has released more by now, I think. Six 'regular' releases (Before The Flood/Hard Rain/At Budokan/Real Live/Dylan & The Dead/Unplugged), three 'Bootleg Series' archive releases (from 1966, 1964 & 1975) plus three limited edition 'mini CDs' from 1962-63 (Gaslight '62, Carnegie Hall '63 Brandeis University '63) which were released as companions to other archive projects. Plus the '30th Anniversary Concert' released in 1993 (although that was mostly other artists) and the Japanese 'Live 1961-2000' compilation from CD which featured highlights from live albums plus some hard to find and newly recorded performances.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1606
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home