Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT - Lists Are Dumb, But This One Takes The Cake
Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: July 29, 2013 10:49

[www.classicrockmagazine.com]

Lennon and McCartney have topped a poll of the world’s best-ever songwriters.

MusicRadar ran the survey as part of their Songwriting Week, celebrating the “most crucial – and potentially the most lucrative – music-making discipline of them all.”

And while the Beatles icons hitting the number one position might be regarded as a foregone conclusion, things get less predictable further down the list.

Bob Dylan is second, followed by Queen, Neil Young and Kurt Cobain. But Oasis’ Noel Gallagher is at number eight and Radiohead are at nine, ahead of David Bowie (10), Led Zeppelin’s Jimmy Page and Robert Plant (12) and Joni Mitchell (15).

MusicRadar say of Lennon and McCartney: “The remarkable thing isn’t how well their songs have aged – it’s that they haven’t aged at all. Born of collaboration and ending as competition, their catalogue is the indisputable and indispensable songbook of the modern era; a staggering collection of compositions that, one by one, changed, challenged and defined the times with a beauty that still feels endless.”

Fellow Beatle George Harrison is placed at number 27 in the poll, which features 46 artists in total including James Hetfield at 17, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards at 21, Pete Townsend at 34, Chuck Berry at 43, Don Henley and Glenn Frey at 47, and Jeff Lynne at 49.

MusicRadar’s top 15 songwriters

1. John Lennon & Paul McCartney
2. Bob Dylan
3. Queen
4. Neil Young
5. Kurt Cobain
6. Bruce Springsteen
7. Roger Waters & David Gilmour
8. Noel Gallagher
9. Radiohead
10. David Bowie
11. Paul Simon
12. Jimmy Page & Robert Plant
13. Brian Wilson
14. Morrissey & Johnny Marr
15. Joni Mitchell

Re: OT - Lists Are Dumb, But This One Takes The Cake
Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: July 29, 2013 11:26

I do not think any reasonable person who knows a bit of British music history would continue relating to the "Lennon & McCartney" label as more than what it is... commercial label. For the vast majority of the Beatles repertoire it is known exactly who was the sole writer of any given song. With very few exceptions Paul McCartney would play in his concerts only "Lennon & McCartney written by Paul" songs - even if originally the actual recorded included both of them singing.

Date: July 29, 2013 17:06

Although I don't agree with this list (except for number 1 which is spot on) If I exclude numbers 6,8,9,11,13 & 14 it's not a bad list....I've certainly seen worse...

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: July 29, 2013 17:14

Noel Gallagher above Brian Wilson.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: July 29, 2013 20:31

Chuck Berry should be in the top 5.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: July 29, 2013 20:34

What a lousy article. They don't even bother showing us the entire list?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 29, 2013 21:14

Wroclaw
I do not think any reasonable person who knows a bit of British music history would continue relating to the "Lennon & McCartney" label as more than what it is... commercial label. For the vast majority of the Beatles repertoire it is known exactly who was the sole writer of any given song. With very few exceptions Paul McCartney would play in his concerts only "Lennon & McCartney written by Paul" songs - even if originally the actual recorded included both of them singing.

Very true. Although, I do understand that some of the early 'Lennon/McCartney' compositions were, at least, almost 50/50 collaborations: She Loves You and I Want To Hold Your Hand being two examples. The book, 'Revolution In The Head' by Ian MacDonald is a good source for reference.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: July 29, 2013 21:22

Best part is where it says the list "features 46 artists in total" and then goes on to tell us that Don Henley and Glenn Frey are at #47, and Jeff Lynne is at #49.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: July 29, 2013 21:41

Where's Leonard Cohen, Nick Cave, Jagger Richards, Tom Waits, etc...

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: July 29, 2013 22:59

JohnnyBGoode

MusicRadar ran the survey as part of their Songwriting Week, celebrating the “most crucial – and potentially the most lucrative – music-making discipline of them all.”

And while the Beatles icons hitting the number one position might be regarded as a foregone conclusion, things get less predictable further down the list.

Bob Dylan is second, followed by Queen, Neil Young and Kurt Cobain. But Oasis’ Noel Gallagher is at number eight and Radiohead are at nine, ahead of David Bowie (10), Led Zeppelin’s Jimmy Page and Robert Plant (12) and Joni Mitchell (15).

MusicRadar say of Lennon and McCartney: “The remarkable thing isn’t how well their songs have aged – it’s that they haven’t aged at all. Born of collaboration and ending as competition, their catalogue is the indisputable and indispensable songbook of the modern era; a staggering collection of compositions that, one by one, changed, challenged and defined the times with a beauty that still feels endless.”

Fellow Beatle George Harrison is placed at number 27 in the poll, which features 46 artists in total including James Hetfield at 17, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards at 21, Pete Townsend at 34, Chuck Berry at 43, Don Henley and Glenn Frey at 47, and Jeff Lynne at 49.

2. Bob Dylan
3. Queen
4. Neil Young
5. Kurt Cobain
6. Bruce Springsteen
8. Noel Gallagher
9. Radiohead
10. David Bowie
11. Paul Simon
13. Brian Wilson
15. Joni Mitchell

This IS the worst of all time.

1. The Beetels were/are the most overrated band/ boy band of all time. As was Lennon.
2. Every Springsteen song sounds the same
3. radiohead - What is that?
4. Joni Mitchell - is't that a doll or something?
5. Queen is the 2nd most overrated band ever. They had like 5 decent songs. All about pomp, very little substance
6. Cobain - his band might be third most overrated

I cannot continue. Oh my God

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: July 29, 2013 23:05

"9. Radiohead"

You mean Thom Yorke?
@#$%& idiots, lol!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: July 29, 2013 23:07

michaelsavage

1. The Beetels were/are the most overrated band/ boy band of all time. As was Lennon.
5. Queen is the 2nd most overrated band ever. They had like 5 decent songs. All about pomp, very little substance

Your post... the stupid... it hurts...

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 29, 2013 23:12

In regards to Radiohead: The Bends and O.K. Computer are both terrific albums, but their experimentation and weirdness amplified somewhat on subsequent releases. The two records I have mentioned both contain some quite brilliant and beautifully melodic pieces.

Date: July 29, 2013 23:16

jamesfdouglas
michaelsavage

Your post... the stupid... it hurts...

So you agree. Thanks

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 29, 2013 23:22

Any list that draws up the best songwriters but neglects to include Ray Davies simply does not deserve to exist, let alone be taken seriously.

Date: July 29, 2013 23:25

Good point

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: July 30, 2013 00:40

its good to be anywhere
Although I don't agree with this list (except for number 1 which is spot on) If I exclude numbers 6,8,9,11,13 & 14 it's not a bad list....I've certainly seen worse...

Keeping Springsteen off the list is just ridiculous. He is one of the great songwriters/poets of this generation.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 30, 2013 01:00

Queen does not belong on that list, sorry. Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, and Chuck Berry do. I think of Zep as a great band, but not necessarily great songwriters, with the exception of a handful of tunes.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 30, 2013 01:06

michaelsavage

Ah its good old mickscarey/aslecs/scelsa himself

Where have ya been? Doing a done deal?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 30, 2013 01:49

steverogan
its good to be anywhere

Keeping Springsteen off the list is just ridiculous. He is one of the great songwriters/poets of this generation.

thumbs up

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 30, 2013 04:04

michaelsavage

What tosh.

Date: July 30, 2013 05:37

Obviously a silly list; but they all are. And we still discuss them here, haha..
But I have to get that obligatory self-distancing in first.
To have Queen at 3 rd place is just factually wrong. Could we not say that? How did their song catalogue impact our society, our decades? "Bohemian" is the only song that is part of today's culture.
Springsteen, Floyd, Dylan,Young, Brian Wilson, Zep, P. Simon and Bowie, and of course J/R all are so much more part of our world.
And I like Freddy a lot; don't mind Queen at all.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: July 30, 2013 06:31

Stupid list

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 30, 2013 08:34

Well number one and two is correct...

Goffin/King
Leiber/Stoller
Reed
Holly
Berry
is namnes that should be in Top 10

Queen...Gallagher...Radiohead Pfuitttt!!!!

2 1 2 0

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: July 30, 2013 08:38

Who'd they poll? Consider the sources....eye popping smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 30, 2013 08:45

What a let-down.....thought it was gonna be Jimmy's shoppin' list .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: July 30, 2013 09:28

michaelsavage
JohnnyBGoode

2. Bob Dylan
3. Queen
4. Neil Young
5. Kurt Cobain
6. Bruce Springsteen
8. Noel Gallagher
9. Radiohead
10. David Bowie
11. Paul Simon
13. Brian Wilson
15. Joni Mitchell

I always get under fire when saying this around people but must admit about Queen.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: July 30, 2013 12:13

Is this a white list?

I read it's about pop/rock songwriters... Where's Holland/Dozier/Holland, Whitfield/Strong, Michael Jackson, Smokey Robinson, Stevie Wonder, Hayes/Porter, Al Green and of course many others. Those people wrote a lot of the best pop songs ever.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 30, 2013 12:16

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-07 21:01 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: July 30, 2013 16:34

The greatest living songwriter is still Chuck Berry. Bob Dylan is second. Queen? You have got to be kidding. Worst band in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. I believe Tele71 is being more than generous with the number five. I personally think it is one (Crazy Little Thing Called Love).

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1897
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home